Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

RuBisCO posted:

Samesies. Whatcha got?

Here's my pile:

nice cat. :cabot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That is a top notch kitty 🐈

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm almost finished with Good Omens myself, and I've got the first season of the show on hold at the library for after

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I got like 90 pages left after that I'm thinking about starting American Gods or reading some HP Lovecraft

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

American Gods is so good. Particularly recommend the full cast audiobook version if you can manage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched napoleon tonight. It was awful but greatly entertaining.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

I watched napoleon tonight. It was awful but greatly entertaining.

i appreciate Ridley Scott pissing off historians and the French alike

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Waffleman_ posted:

American Gods is so good. Particularly recommend the full cast audiobook version if you can manage.

My buddy would listen to it at work and it drove me nuts

I find it very hard to listen to audiobooks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

symbolic posted:

i appreciate Ridley Scott pissing off historians and the French alike

Don't forget the last surviving Habsburg

https://twitter.com/EduardHabsburg/status/1726496215402197216

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

RuBisCO posted:

Samesies. Whatcha got?

Here's my pile:

are those giant comics or are you just a waif

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmfao

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

RuBisCO posted:

Samesies. Whatcha got?

Here's my pile:

you appear to have a question on your arm

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished the original dirty pair tv and watched the first episode of dirty pair flash tonight. not sure i will be watching beyond the first episode, of dirty pair flash

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I hope I get to a cool used bookstore tomorrow

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I think Minus One might be my new favorite Godzilla

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What did I fuckin tell ya

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
If I could afford it I would see it again tomorrow

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sadly closest place playing Godzilla -1 is Vancouver which is a ferry ride for me. Tempted to do it though

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Ohtori Akio posted:

are those giant comics or are you just a waif

I'm fuckin tiny yeah, but also these are oversized

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Colonel posted:

finished the original dirty pair tv and watched the first episode of dirty pair flash tonight. not sure i will be watching beyond the first episode, of dirty pair flash

Flash is very different and not as good, but still a decent watch. Just go in with very different expectations.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Really didn’t like the character designs in Flash

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

all the godzilla -1 showings at my closest theatre is in the cheap 30seat theater room...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Always felt mixed on Flash. I think the first OVA that tries to go for an overarching story is a noble effort but it doesn't quite pan out as a cohesive whole despite some decent individual episodes. And then the second OVA takes place on a planet that's designed to be like 1990s Japan and in doing so it makes the show feel very interchangeable since the sci-fi setting gets pretty minimized during those episodes - in particular there's an episode about a ghost in a highschool that could have easily been fitted for City Hunter, Patlabor, etc etc you could name pretty much any episodic anime from that era that features a group of people that solve problems and it'd work.

I like the third OVA but it's also the one that feels the most in line with the original tv show and even then it still feels a little watered down compared to that.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's been years since I saw Flash but it's better than the Adam Warren comics at least

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t think I’ve ever watched Dirty Pair in general come to think of it, does the show still hold up (and based on the title how horny is it)?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

not really horny at all

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They're called the Dirty Pair cause they leave a trail of destruction on their jobs lamo (Also its a riff on the famous Beauty Pair Tag Team)

Also the TV holds up well even if I wish Kei and Yuri dated

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
There's occasional fanservice, but it's mostly relegated to the movies and OVAs iirc (and usually just a scene or two), in the show it shows up pretty infrequently.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Works for me, I’ll give it a shot then

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the original dirty pair is one of the best executions of that sort of dynamic, it's very imaginative sci-fi and shockingly kind of progressive within its era, the biggest highlight of the original tv series is an episode wholly focused around kei and yuri helping out a transgender woman and it doesn't go for any of the cheap jokes you might expect based on that premise at all. kei and yuri's dynamic is fun and the show does a good job balancing their cattiness with each other with showing how much they genuinely care about and like each other underneath that and it has some of the most gorgeous animation and snappiest direction you'll find among that style of space sci-fi adventure fiction. there isn't really anything that's recaptured the flair the original show, ovas and movie had either, it's kind of in a league of its own

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They're called the Dirty Pair cause they leave a trail of destruction on their jobs lamo (Also its a riff on the famous Beauty Pair Tag Team)

Also the TV holds up well even if I wish Kei and Yuri dated

tbh it's, not hard to read that into it especially as the show and ovas go along lol. they introduce a bunch of different romantic interest guys but the recurring thread is that, no matter how good the relationship might seem like it's going, it never lasts and kei and yuri never break up the pair. you could say the movie is presenting kei's big romance interest but he doesn't really feel that different from the rest and the movie's basically one real big episode of the show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Are the movies and OVA canon to the series/worth watching?

Also what’s Flash? A sequel series/remake?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the ovas and movie are a sequel to the tv series and are either as good or better. flash is the 90s reboot

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
check out the opening to the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91oqZjZTw7Q

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Flash is more just a completely different take on it. It’s like an alternate universe and made in the 90’s.

It’s definitely not as good and I would stick to just the original. It’s not terrible and is fine, so if you are really craving more content it’s there.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

Project Eden is a fantastic and fun film, would definitely recommend. Some of the OVAs are fine, some suck, kinda just depends on which one.

Flash isn't as good as the original series, but as its own thing, it still has a bit of charm. It also has a banger OP theme for the middle half, sung by Matsumoto Rika.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i crave content. i am a content goblin. i consume the content

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

Also what’s Flash? A sequel series/remake?

Project Eden is the best and it's a real good spot to start with too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah to be clear there isn't really like, a dirty pair timeline. it's a fully episodic thing that at most has some nods between episodes of shorter stuff like the ovas. so you can just jump in basically anywhere

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good to know, I know where to look otherwise but is the series available legally anywhere currently?

On a similar note, how’s the manga and the original light novels for that matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Larryb posted:

Good to know, I know where to look otherwise but is the series available legally anywhere currently?

On a similar note, how’s the manga and the original light novels for that matter?

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=legal+dirty+pair+anime+streaming