Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Demand must have hit a critical mass.

Universal was really sleeping around on the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
They should just do another pressing of the steelbook and level the scalper market.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1729853788897316947?t=Dac7GB1O2Mx8ukl-M8LyTA&s=19

Well, that's an easy upgrade for me. Really surprised it's getting a steelbook.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1729853788897316947?t=Dac7GB1O2Mx8ukl-M8LyTA&s=19

Well, that's an easy upgrade for me. Really surprised it's getting a steelbook.

It's, uh... better than FNAF at least.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

pwn posted:

They should just do another pressing of the steelbook and level the scalper market.

I just checked and, seriously? The Best Buy steelbook is going for ~$150??

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1729931316190228894

Oppy appears to be back in stock if you didn't grab one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They announced the next Janus Contemporaries release. It’s Afire, coming in February. I guess Janus Contemporaries is going to have a very unpredictable release schedule.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

At least their lineup so far is stellar

Afire
Eo
Godland
The Eight Mountains
No Bears
The Innocent
Tori and Lokita

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Grabbed ‘The Others’ 4K on the B&N sale. To be honest that’s not a movie I thought Criterion would do, but I’ll take it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Gonna go into a Barnes and Noble and buy one(1) film for myself after leaving work early today. Need a little pick me up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheScott2K posted:

Gonna go into a Barnes and Noble and buy one(1) film for myself after leaving work early today. Need a little pick me up.

Narrator: “He bought 17 films.”

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Box sets count as one, right?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Charlie Victor Romeo
The Dog who Stopped the War
In Bloom/My Happy Family double-feature
King on Screen
Ladyworld
Mail Order Murder: The Story of WAVE Productions
The Mysterious Castle in the Carpathians
Queen of Earth
Scrapbook
Skateboard
Sons of Steel
Stielke, Heinz, Fifteen
Surf Reality Movie of the Month Club Collection
Take it Out in Trade
Vile 21
The Violent Years

Highlights of the month that stand out are Queen of Earth (IFC Films' first entry as a partner label, starring Elisabeth Moss, and its first time ever on Bluray in the country); King on Screen (a solid albeit short documentary where directors talk about the King adaptations they filmed and his general importance to them deciding to break into the business in the first place); and Charlie Victor Romeo (a unique performance documentary from six transcripts of major plane incidents/accidents)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I had no idea Arrow did a nice Barbarella set until I stumbled upon it at Barnes & Noble last night. I love nice box set releases of movies you’d never really expect to get them.

I picked up Mean Streets and Baron Munchausen as Xmas gifts for my dad and I’m officially done with this sale. I think it’s the first one in a long time where I’ve managed to escape spending more than $100.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Baron Munchausen UHD looks great, I definitely think you'll be happy with that one.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone else getting hit hard Tuesday the 5th?seems like a ton of stuff coming out, I can't say no to point break or young guns, and the release for star trek strange new worlds season two is a must for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone else getting hit hard Tuesday the 5th?seems like a ton of stuff coming out, I can't say no to point break or young guns, and the release for star trek strange new worlds season two is a must for me.

My plan is to just grab Young Guns now, then I'll eventually come back around to Point Break later this year. It's a summer movie anyway, feels weird to watch it in December.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bought Queen of Earth, Ladyworld, In Bloom/My Happy Family and Mysterious Castle in the Carpathians

thank gently caress this is the last announcement VS has this year. I need a break

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Kingtheninja posted:

I’m def getting Point Break on the 5th but it’s the 12th that I’m really overloaded on…

The Wailing
The Man From Nowhere
Face/Off
Clue
Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchio

Then the week after is the Columbo boxset.

The year is ending pretty great.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Kinda a PITA you can't stack the VS rewards and the freak out coupon. I had to make a separate order for each film. Now I still have enough points for $5 off but can't get the drat discount option to show up again.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I got my VS order today

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I *was* just going to pick up my order of ‘The Others’ from B&N today, but when I went in there to pick it up I stopped by the Criterion shelf LIKE A DUMBASS and ended up also buying The Princess Bride 4K. :negative:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

I got my VS order today

WOW

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Narrator: “He bought 17 films.”

I bought Time Bandits 4k and that's it

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah but how many copies did you buy? :thunk:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Daisies was a bad blind buy

pwn
May 27, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Daisies was a bad blind buy

Thanks, added to my cart

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Why would you buy 17 copies of Time Bandits on 4K?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

:smug:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

edogawa rando posted:

Why would you buy 17 copies of Time Bandits on 4K?

One for each hand, duh.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Scratch on the outer perimeter of the 4k disc. Here's hoping my Xbox plays the movie to the end without issue.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheScott2K posted:

Scratch on the outer perimeter of the 4k disc. Here's hoping my Xbox plays the movie to the end without issue.

What about the other 16 copies?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

My last VS blind buy from the last sale that I'm finally getting around to, "I Do Not Care If We Go Down In History As Barbarians", is a fascinating piece of work. There's a really great vibe and atmosphere to it as it explores how a creator and academic can unintentionally lose their sense of empathy when working on adapting a tragedy to historical fiction, and there's a lot of philosophical and frank discussion about atrocities, history, and the ethics of how we portray it all. Very talky and very slow but I'm really hooked and the little moments of dark humor are appreciated. I also love how the way it's shot makes it seem much older than it is. I'm only a little over halfway through but it is so far a recommendation, but we'll see how strong of one it is by the end.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Don’t you love it when you sit down to watch one of your new Criterions, rip off the shrink wrap, pop it in, kinda wonder why all the logos & menu look super aliased, and within 15 seconds of the movie starting you realized you bought the loving DVD version

:nutshot:

I’m just going to donate the drat thing to make myself pay for my stupidity, but also gently caress you to Best Buy for not having a single page per movie listing all the formats

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

My last VS blind buy from the last sale that I'm finally getting around to, "I Do Not Care If We Go Down In History As Barbarians", is a fascinating piece of work. There's a really great vibe and atmosphere to it as it explores how a creator and academic can unintentionally lose their sense of empathy when working on adapting a tragedy to historical fiction, and there's a lot of philosophical and frank discussion about atrocities, history, and the ethics of how we portray it all. Very talky and very slow but I'm really hooked and the little moments of dark humor are appreciated. I also love how the way it's shot makes it seem much older than it is. I'm only a little over halfway through but it is so far a recommendation, but we'll see how strong of one it is by the end.

oh man, I really liked that movie and a lot of that is because how great the whole climax sequence is. It's the culmination of the "putting on a show" angle of the movie and throws a whole different light on the discussions leading up to it. It's almost like a really dark punchline for the whole movie.

pwn
May 27, 2004

david_a posted:

Don’t you love it when you sit down to watch one of your new Criterions, rip off the shrink wrap, pop it in, kinda wonder why all the logos & menu look super aliased, and within 15 seconds of the movie starting you realized you bought the loving DVD version

:nutshot:

I’m just going to donate the drat thing to make myself pay for my stupidity, but also gently caress you to Best Buy for not having a single page per movie listing all the formats

Well-mastered DVDs look fine, maybe you got a bootleg?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gripweed posted:

oh man, I really liked that movie and a lot of that is because how great the whole climax sequence is. It's the culmination of the "putting on a show" angle of the movie and throws a whole different light on the discussions leading up to it. It's almost like a really dark punchline for the whole movie.

Just finished it, and absolutely. It's almost like it's the only way it could have ended. You see it coming all film and yet you hope it doesn't. drat good. Absolutely glacial pace but if that's up your alley as it was mine I gotta say it was a great blind buy. Might gift it to a friend of mine, or at least let him borrow it, since he loves My Dinner With Andre and is interested in Romanian history so I think the philosophical nature of it will really appeal to him.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

the cases are taller..?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

And yet another reason to buy physical.

https://x.com/Films_At_Home/status/1730798428433596518?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...