Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I would suggest aiming lower at this stage and revisiting later. Regular butt joints with glue and nails/screws won't look as nice but will be much easier to do well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

butt... nail... screw... lol

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
Guffaws from the peanut gallery

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Completely hidden toilet tanks have always felt like a foolish preposition. Maybe you get it right during installation, but at some point it'll need maintenance. Rubber gaskets, just to name a particular common failure point, have a working life. Over time they turn hard and brittle, and stop working. I've lost count of the number of leaky tanks I've dealt with where a perished gasket was the culprit.

(Also, perfect 45 degree miters for a waterfall style cabinet is uhhhhh... ambitious as your first woodworking project, to say the least.)

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i think it will stay in place. And hide the plumbing because its ugly. it wont need maintenance as it will be expertly fitted in the first place.

Towards L shape architecture: it wont need maintenance as it will be expertly fitted in the first place.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i think it will stay in place

No, it won't. I'm speaking from experience, I've had to fix many of these "I calculated the loads, it'll be fine" cantilever projects ranging from hilarious to potentially fatal. Wood is not a suitable material for this.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

99 is so confident in his plumbing ability for this sink that when he's done he'll put a concrete slab over the top of it.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Your plumbing wall extension thing has you well set to use an in-wall carrier arm to hold that sink box up. I think you could conceivably even do it below the lower "shelf" area and support the entire box that way.

I would not attempt mitering that, though...

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I would never willingly live in a home where the bathroom cabinet had no doors. Why would I want all of my hygiene stuff out on display? Extra rolls of toilet paper and boxes of tampons aren’t exactly decorative. Plus then you have to take everything out in order to dust because now all of your hair and skin cells floating around in the bathroom have a million little nooks and crannies to settle onto.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hutla posted:

Extra rolls of toilet paper and boxes of tampons aren’t exactly decorative.

They will be when I toilet-paper 99's house

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

If you try to cut a 2' long perfect miter you're going to end up having to hide the ugly mess anyway. If you butt joint it and then hide your crimes at least it will could be structurally sound.

Darkest Auer posted:

There is no loving way that sink frame will stay in place without something supporting it at the front. Also, why hide the plumbing and make it totally impossible to maintain?

If the back panel gets moved all the way to the back instead of having a gap it can be attached to the wall directly like a cabinet. I guess you could also do it with brackets designed for floating shelving or similar, though with walls made of spray foam blocks who knows.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Darkest Auer posted:

No, it won't. I'm speaking from experience, I've had to fix many of these "I calculated the loads, it'll be fine" cantilever projects ranging from hilarious to potentially fatal. Wood is not a suitable material for this.

Don't worry I haven't calculated the loads.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don’t forget to allow for the possibility that someone will sit on the cantilever sink for any number of reasons.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Don't worry I haven't calculated the loads.

ur mum tho

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Nighthand posted:

99 is so confident in his plumbing ability for this sink that when he's done he'll put a concrete slab over the top of it.
Let that sink in, etc

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i think it will stay in place. And hide the plumbing because its ugly. it wont need maintenance as it will be expertly fitted in the first place.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Towards L shape architecture: Don't worry I haven't calculated the loads

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021
I think that design would cantilever well off a strong wall. It's a shame you didn't build any of those.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Floating sinks are ugly as gently caress

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

will lady visitors like it though?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm not sure hypotheticals are helpful here.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's a good plan op but why stop there? Cantilever everything. Cantilever your bed off the bedroom wall

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Back to your heat pump with the rear diffuser.
Like, your rules lawyering makes sense with envelope mathematics but fluid mechanics is a deeply weird subject and odd things can happen like helmholtz resonance coupling between the fan and the space you've created, or the fence is going to rime up all the way into the fan, or just plain exhaust recirculation killing the efficiency. If you do think it's worth chancing, how about laying some council paving slabs (the big 3'x2' fuckers that come with a free hernia) around your concrete base so you have a solid working surface and you can make position adjustments in future, should you need to? Ours is on some anti-vibration rubber feet that aren't even bolted down, and the last foot or two of pipework is flexible, so udging it around wouldn't be that hard.

Also, these boys piss out water all the time and no amount of fiddling with the drain plugs will solve that. Make sure you've got something that can deal with a couple of litres/hour of water leaking out.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Endjinneer posted:

Back to your heat pump with the rear diffuser.
Like, your rules lawyering makes sense with envelope mathematics but fluid mechanics is a deeply weird subject and odd things can happen like helmholtz resonance coupling

????

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Fake News, 99 would never seek the Shortening Of The Way

bred
Oct 24, 2008
For the sink, I think it is enough to add wide 2 by blocking between the studs, finish the walls, and support with a cleat on top and the cantilever pressure at the bottom. There are other hardware options available for floating shelves that may be more hidden and/or have a load spec. The cabinet should span both studs for max strength. I have a drawer unit from ikea that is 5 or 6 feet long hanging off a 1x cleat. The ikea ikstructions say the feet are not structural.

The top waterfall miters are much more visually important than the lower two joints so I'd have butts on the bottom with end grain facing the floor. This way you can make the walls long and sneak up to a good miter. It is done when it passes inspection with a combination square and straight edge. After that practice, make the top to width allowing material for some mistakes. Cut the sides to height after the miters are finalized.

So cut with a circular saw and straight edge to 45d and rasp work to the gauges. Join with screws and plugs or biscuits or floating tenons or whatever.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Ratjaculation posted:

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm not sure hypotheticals are helpful here.

Cantilever? Barely know er!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
When you know it's over but you cantilever

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sorry, I was busy all day yesterday but this amusing drawing is roughly what I was talking about. It does expose the end grain, e.g, it loses the waterfall effect. You can recapture the waterfall effect with veneer, but I would not use veneer on a bathroom sink cabinet because it'll constantly be exposed to water which is a bad thing to do to veneer.

The problem I have with this cantilevered design:

is that I think it'll be springy at best, even if it's really well engineered (heh). To get it stiff (heh) I think you need some serious support structure, like hollow square steel bar? And then you need to hang the whole structure on it, and you have the interior exposed, so are you gonna pocket that into the wood somehow?

If I welded a square tube support structure I could maybe park that whole sink box on top of it but if you looked under the box you'd see the steel. Is that OK?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Leperflesh posted:

The problem I have with this cantilevered design:

I just bought a house with cantilevered sinks. I then learned that Amazon sells a variety of attachable and adjustable furniture legs that you can use to support the front of the loving things because even if it's solid when you install it, every rear end in a top hat that uses your bathroom is going to put their body weight on it at some point and it will not be solid in the near future.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R6X41F9

Don't do it. Just put in a normal god drat cabinet. They're normal for a reason. Fads are fads for a reason.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Alternate approach: Leave it as-is and think of how embarrassing it will be for whichever houseguest tries to have sex on your sink and breaks it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Joke's on you, nobody's having sex in that house.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

bathrooms should have lots of drawer and cabinet space

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Joke's on you, nobody's having sex in that house.

not willingly anyway - seeing as every room is a vacuum sealed, sound insulated sex dungeon.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bred posted:

The top waterfall miters are much more visually important than the lower two joints so I'd have butts on the bottom with end grain facing the floor. This way you can make the walls long and sneak up to a good miter. It is done when it passes inspection with a combination square and straight edge. After that practice, make the top to width allowing material for some mistakes. Cut the sides to height after the miters are finalized.

So cut with a circular saw and straight edge to 45d and rasp work to the gauges. Join with screws and plugs or biscuits or floating tenons or whatever.

Ya this seems like the way this is doable. Bathroom still looks like its designed for hairless androids tho

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
99 should share a screenshot of the Pinterest mood board

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah do this. Or get someone with a CNC machine to make the frame up for you.

Getting a 4-piece rectangular mitered frame to line up properly is a nightmare even for simple small pieces. You have absolutely no chance doing it yourself of getting it all perfect.

I have like 20 years of professional woodworking experience and if somebody told me to make your mitered design I'd tell them to piss off.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

Getting a 4-piece rectangular mitered frame to line up properly is a nightmare even for simple small pieces. You have absolutely no chance doing it yourself of getting it all perfect.

Yeah, I finished this small side table a week ago and it was very challenging even with access to a very nice table saw.

We just had our bathrooms done with floating vanities. It's great for floor cleaning and I do like the look. They have a base frame with the melamine clad down the sides and base. Stone top. Here's a pic of the top corner.

And overall pic:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Sticky Date posted:

And overall pic:

I mean obviously this is a little amateur looking, but yeah thats what I'm after.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Sticky Date posted:

We just had our bathrooms done with floating vanities. It's great for floor cleaning and I do like the look.

Isn't that worse for floor cleaning? You're just adding more floor that needs to be cleaned except now it has a vanity over the top of it making it harder to access and more likely to collect crud or dropped belongings unknowingly. I do actually like the look myself but it seems to be nothing but cons from a purely functional perspective.