Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
God drat. My wife will definitely want season 3 sooner. Though I think she's more of a Lan fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Its weird how the first time I encountered Burn Gorman was in Pacific Rim so I'm used to him being a dorky scientist but every other role he's a dead-eyed killer

rewatching the expanse right now and he plays a dead-eyed killer :stare:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hexel posted:

rewatching the expanse right now and he plays a dead-eyed killer :stare:

See also: Man in High Castle, Game of Thrones

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I never watched season 2 of the show. Did they do Hopper right?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

I never watched season 2 of the show. Did they do Hopper right?

Yeah they did. Some people complain that the wolfdogs are too small, but it was that or have some CGI monstrosity. Hopper himself (herself, I think the actor was a female dog) was a very good wolfdog.

Also you should watch Season 2.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pik_d posted:

Also you should watch Season 2.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Season 2 is better than Season 1, but still heavily flawed. Watch it I guess.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Totally disagree with the 'heavily flawed' bit. Watch season 2, it's great

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Rarity posted:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah, I was pretty underwhelmed with season 1, so I didn't really feel any desire to continue. Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime this holiday break.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I think it's a pretty good show overall but I just can't watch it anymore. Tapped out after they completely fumbled the Gitara Moroso scene. For every one cool thing that happens in the series it feels like two beloved book scenes get bungled. The cool things that do happen are usually either entirely original or so remixed from the source material that they might as well be. It's just not what I want from an adaptation of these books. I don't hate it or anything it just makes me feel kinda sad when I'm watching it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CainsDescendant v. CainsFortea

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

More seriously the showrunner mentioned that he got 1000 different script notes for the pilot from Amazon producers trying to get their thumb in. Its hard to tell what he and the writing room has control over but it has been 2 seasons already, so maybe that's enough to just say it's not for you.

And like the Wheel of Time itself, waiting for the next interpretation of the material to roll by again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CainsDescendant posted:

I think it's a pretty good show overall but I just can't watch it anymore. Tapped out after they completely fumbled the Gitara Moroso scene. For every one cool thing that happens in the series it feels like two beloved book scenes get bungled. The cool things that do happen are usually either entirely original or so remixed from the source material that they might as well be. It's just not what I want from an adaptation of these books. I don't hate it or anything it just makes me feel kinda sad when I'm watching it.

If you got that far you should finish season 2. If you don't like the s2 finale then yeah just not for you.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CainsDescendant posted:

The real problem is that Robert Jordan wrote 4.4 million words in a book (with Sanderson obviously), he did not write 8 seasons of a TV show, which is a hell of a lot less words than the book series. There's also things in the books that just aren't going to be good TV. Giving us Dana the darkfriend rather than having Rand and Mat walk through a bunch of identical towns was a TV thing that worked, for example.

Some things just have to be change, expecting it to be a 1:1 is a fools errand, if that bothers you then yeah, maybe it's not for you. And that's OK, because the books are still there.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pik_d posted:

The real problem is that Robert Jordan wrote 4.4 million words in a book (with Sanderson obviously), he did not write 8 seasons of a TV show, which is a hell of a lot less words than the book series. There's also things in the books that just aren't going to be good TV. Giving us Dana the darkfriend rather than having Rand and Mat walk through a bunch of identical towns was a TV thing that worked, for example.

Some things just have to be change, expecting it to be a 1:1 is a fools errand, if that bothers you then yeah, maybe it's not for you. And that's OK, because the books are still there.

yeah, they should have dropped more characters and stuck to the main plot, instead of having too many characters for a tv show and watering the scenes down

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

CainsDescendant v. CainsFortea

I mean, I agree that the gitara scene was bad.

I think it was the only awful scene in season 2 but still.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Shageletic posted:

More seriously the showrunner mentioned that he got 1000 different script notes for the pilot from Amazon producers trying to get their thumb in. Its hard to tell what he and the writing room has control over but it has been 2 seasons already, so maybe that's enough to just say it's not for you.

And like the Wheel of Time itself, waiting for the next interpretation of the material to roll by again.

Knowing that they had to fight hard to keep the "Weep for Manetheren" scene makes me think yeah, a chunk of it are notes.

For S2 obviously a chunk of it is the actor playing Mat leaving (Rafe said he wanted to do the boys hunting for the horn but well...couldn't realistically do that with the corner they had written themselves into with him not being in the last two episodes of S1). Plus timing. It should really be 10-13 episodes.

S2 is good though (with some bits being truly great), but it's not the 1:1 adaptation some people want. I'm hoping for a 14 season anime sometime in my life for the 1:1 adaptation but who knows if that'll happen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Knowing that they had to fight hard to keep the "Weep for Manetheren" scene makes me think yeah, a chunk of it are notes.

For S2 obviously a chunk of it is the actor playing Mat leaving (Rafe said he wanted to do the boys hunting for the horn but well...couldn't realistically do that with the corner they had written themselves into with him not being in the last two episodes of S1). Plus timing. It should really be 10-13 episodes.

S2 is good though (with some bits being truly great), but it's not the 1:1 adaptation some people want. I'm hoping for a 14 season anime sometime in my life for the 1:1 adaptation but who knows if that'll happen.

Yeah, Anime would be the natural format.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I havent watched S2 yet but having just finished the books, I would not want a 1:1 adaptation. A lot of content in these books would not good tv, hell, large swaths of it are boring in print.

I’m always down for unfaithful adaptations. If I want the thing, the thing still exists over there. gently caress with it, remix it, give me some twists, whatever.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I don't want a 1:1 adaptation! I get the realities of what it takes to get a series like this on screen at all. Probably my favorite adaptation of all time is The Expanse, which certainly takes some liberties with story and characters to get the story across in the time allotted. Why I feel like that works and this doesn't, though, is that when The Expanse did do a book-to-screen scene they almost always nailed it. I feel like most times WoT show takes a stab, they miss. Weep for Manetheren is a great example - they had to fight to keep it in, but Moiraine rambling out the story on horseback while the kids ride along pensively is just such a different and, imo, worse version of it. I wanted to see Tarwin's Gap but hoo boy they wanged that one. No Rand and Lan toxic masculinity mentoring. Almost all the bits of the books I was most looking forward to have been either mishandled or absent.

Also I watched The Expanse before I read the books and I first read WoT when I was 13 so I'm definitely way more precious about it than I should be and I'm letting twenty years of imagining the perfect adaptation get in the way of my enjoyment here. I tried to get over that feeling, I just realized that I was having to work to do that and I just don't want to work to enjoy something ya know?

tl;dr I hope my mild criticism is way more measured and thoughtful than CainForTea's often rabid defense of the show. No offense, other Cain

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CainsDescendant posted:

tl;dr I hope my mild criticism is way more measured and thoughtful than CainForTea's often rabid defense of the show. No offense, other Cain

I think people confuse rabidity with "can post poo poo while at work and so is rather prolific and thinks most goons are loving idiots"

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

"thinks most goons are loving idiots" is rabidity, yeah

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Valentin posted:

See?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Valentin posted:

Honestly it's fairly accurate

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I mean look at this clown

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I mean, I'm definitely a loving idiot

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

No argument here.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just the worst.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

CainsDescendant posted:

I wanted to see Tarwin's Gap but hoo boy they wanged that one.

I'm with you on that one. The one thing I'll say is that was filmed AFTER COVID hit so they had to completely redo a lot of things for the last two episodes. They had a location planned for the blight, for example, that they were no longer able to shoot in. S2 is significantly better than S1, but still has issues. Really hoping for S3 to improve on the ground that S2 made up.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

I'm with you on that one. The one thing I'll say is that was filmed AFTER COVID hit so they had to completely redo a lot of things for the last two episodes. They had a location planned for the blight, for example, that they were no longer able to shoot in. S2 is significantly better than S1, but still has issues. Really hoping for S3 to improve on the ground that S2 made up.

I was really hoping season 2 would show me that all/most of my issues with the series were a result of hasty rewrites due to COVID/Barney/The Suits. A lot of issues did improve, and I did like a lot of stuff in s2, it just didn't improve as dramatically as I'd have liked. I'll probably finish out the season when I'm less burned out on it, and I am interested to see what happens in s3. Whether I actually watch it or not. Aviendha was fantastic and I really wanna see the Waste

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

An A+ jumpscare.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Rarity posted:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Rickrolled…

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not even one of the better known clowns, smh

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

CainsDescendant posted:

I don't want a 1:1 adaptation! I get the realities of what it takes to get a series like this on screen at all. Probably my favorite adaptation of all time is The Expanse, which certainly takes some liberties with story and characters to get the story across in the time allotted.

The Expanse is a near perfect adaptation, because it was a second draft by the original creators. Not to mention that it was almost certainly originally written with the idea that it could be adapted to TV. WoT is an apples and bowling balls comparison.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Expanse books sorta really suck after the first too.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

81sidewinder posted:

The Expanse is a near perfect adaptation, because it was a second draft by the original creators. Not to mention that it was almost certainly originally written with the idea that it could be adapted to TV. WoT is an apples and bowling balls comparison.

Eye of the World has a fairly strictly episodic structure if you look at it that way and breaks down pretty neatly into a scene by scene pattern.

The problem is some of the scenes (e.g., caemlyn) would require stupendous budgets.

I get why they made most of the changes they did, and many of them were improvements, but it's easy to imagine a much more strictly faithful adaptation especially if done via animation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eye of the World has a fairly strictly episodic structure if you look at it that way and breaks down pretty neatly into a scene by scene pattern.

The problem is some of the scenes (e.g., caemlyn) would require stupendous budgets.

I get why they made most of the changes they did, and many of them were improvements, but it's easy to imagine a much more strictly faithful adaptation especially if done via animation.

Yeah, Eye of the World has an abysmally slow pace at its start, and being locked to Rand's POV means you missed a bunch of cool poo poo like Moiraine and Lan going ham on the Trollocs at the Winternight festival and other stuff you only hear about second hand. I think I like the show's version of Weep for Manetheren better than the book's too. In the books, it's just Moiraine telling the story to the whole village to get her out of hot water because they're gonna lynch her, while in the show there's more emphasis on her contextualizing lost knowledge in a way that's more relevant to the main kids. We'll probably get an analog scene to the book's version of Weep for Manetheren closer to the actual Battle of the Two Rivers in Season 3 because the other point of that scene was inspiring the townsfolk to come together and start resurrecting their heritage.

Also bringing Valda forward from the later books and making him a big threat in the place of Dain was a good choice too. Book Dain is a huge prick in TEOW, so if you want him to be a sympathetic character on his hero-villain-hero journey, you can't have him acting like he does in Book 1, so bringing Valda in to be the heavy instead was an inspired choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah the show sometimes has good ideas but it's execution has usually just left me befuddled and left wondering at the showrunner's choices. Like Perrin's and Egwene's escape frim Valda for example.