Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

I realize I could probably ask this in the dedicated thread but I don't wanna harsh any positive vibes they got going in there. So:

What's a good chunk to test read for Undead Unlock? Because the sequential early bits had basically zero appeal for me, but the stuff I hear about where the story goes later on does seem interesting, and it wouldn't be the first time a book takes a while to get it's legs underneath it.

How much have you read? It kinda went up significantly chapter by chapter for me until it reached a baseline level of “drat, this is pretty great” around, idk, a bit before Autumn (and goddamn this rips around chapter 130) but ymmv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’m really liking GGG. I like the art for it and the protagonist is incredibly likeable.

Shadow Eliminators seems decent, I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

I’d have to say I think Two on Ice will get canned pretty quick. It just…doesn’t do anything? I can’t
really follow it well and it hasn’t done anything to really set out any lofty goals for the protagonists to reach for. The art also just doesn’t appeal to me that much. I’ll keep reading, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is one of the first things to bite the dust.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Thirding that the Seasons are Undead Unluck's early high water mark. I was on board as soon as Apocalypse showed up, but it just hit another level with those arcs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

How much have you read? It kinda went up significantly chapter by chapter for me until it reached a baseline level of “drat, this is pretty great” around, idk, a bit before Autumn (and goddamn this rips around chapter 130) but ymmv.

Yeah, as much as I like to rib it for needing two years to get good it honestly starts at a slow arc upwards after the first couple of chapters (and then rapidly increases pace). That sounds about right.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I really like GGG so far, it kind of reminds me of Medalist (READ MEDALIST IMMEDIATELY). I'm a sucker for sports stories where regular-rear end people (hair-color notwishstanding) with some talent find something they love and grow into it in a normal way, as opposed to ones where the protagonist is already great and the story escalates to insanity (hi Blue Lock).

Shadow Eliminators is like boilerplate school ghost fantasy with a regular-rear end first chapter so it feels too early to judge but I'll root for the author because it feels like that's a genre with a brutal cancellation rate.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 3, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For Undead Unluck I would say I really got into it right where the anime is about to cover this week which is the mission results.

The biggest thing is Fuko becoming more of a driving force.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Sakamoto days rules as usual

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jose posted:

Sakamoto days rules as usual

That was probably the funniest end to a fight I've seen.

Undead Unluck:
"whether you need me to deliver to the end of the universe or kick God's rear end I'm on your debt"

"We need to do both!"

:lol:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
MamaYuyu is pushing my buttons but i'm not optimistic about its survival and i'm not getting myself donkey punched like the time three serials I really liked died in quick succession whilst Nisekoi and Bleach Final stank the place up.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Undead Unluck: So now that I helped you to cook the best ramen possible for your sick mother, I need you to help us to save my boyfriend imprisoned on the sun and then kill the God. Lmao.

Kagurabachi: I really hope Kamunabi won't job here.

MamaYuyu: The story is finally gaining momentum and we have also collected an ensemble of cool and interesting characters (ok, Minerva is like 90% of that) to bounce against each other and I began to seriously like it, so I guess it will get cancelled any issue now. :sigh:

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: Lol at the last two panels.

Shadow Eliminators: The art is nice and everything else is about as generic as it gets. I guess the protagonist is slightly unusual? Emphasis on slightly.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Clarste posted:

It's a bodyswapping manga that doesn't seem especially interested in the bodyswapping part, which is just weird.

Edit: Probably the most damning part for a romcon, though, is that I don't particularly want any of them to get together with each other.

Yeah to both. Doesn't seem to want to explore any potential issues, doesn’t have any reason for any of the characters to get together.

Nue's Exorcist: Oh wow, the sister isn't related by blood so it's okay for the MC to date her?! Shocker, manga, just a shocker

MMA: Chapter just reeked of one more day before retirement, and it did not disappoint

Witch Watch: so now we have a drunk dragon in the mix

Gokurakugai: well, that was a dark chapter! Little surprised for a SJ title

MamaYuyu: "You don't know me!"/"Of course not, so let's stop fighting so we can talk!!!" might be one of my favorite exchanges in a while. Really hope this manga sticks around :smith:

Pierson posted:

I really like GGG so far, it kind of reminds me of Medalist (READ MEDALIST IMMEDIATELY). I'm a sucker for sports stories where regular-rear end people (hair-color notwishstanding) with some talent find something they love and grow into it in a normal way, as opposed to ones where the protagonist is already great and the story escalates to insanity (hi Blue Lock).

Yeah, I'm digging it as well. Obviously going by the opening scene MC goes places, but I'd be fine with him just being a dude that learns to love golf

The Black Stones posted:

I’d have to say I think Two on Ice will get canned pretty quick. It just…doesn’t do anything? I can’t
really follow it well and it hasn’t done anything to really set out any lofty goals for the protagonists to reach for. The art also just doesn’t appeal to me that much. I’ll keep reading, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is one of the first things to bite the dust.

Yeah, it feels like the mangaka had nothing planned past "male MC falls in love with [sport] because of female MC, chases after her." It's kinda touched on some drama with the female MC worrying about her physical decline and the male MC debating between being a solo act or not, but it's been very shallow about it. And now this new guy hates female MC for... reasons? It feels like it’s floundering already

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Undead Unluck will be the manga of the decade if they can somehow work Unfuckable into being a key part of their plan to kill Sun.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I thought witch watch was done for a couple of months ago but it’s right back to cooking. give etekichi a job though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Nue's Exorcist: Oh wow, the sister isn't related by blood so it's okay for the MC to date her?! Shocker, manga, just a shocker

They already confirmed that last week, which actually made me wonder this week if it's a fakeout. That is, their closeness makes the other girls worry about that possibility, but both the MC and his sister have absolutely no feelings in that direction whatsoever, leading to a recurring gag of everyone else making way-off-base assumptions.

As the series has been so far, it could really go either way.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Kill Blue: Juzo Ogami, Cougar Hunter.

Witch Watch: Ruri Dragon's still on hiatus, cash in while you can!

Green Green Greens: For some reason I liked this chapter way more than the first.

Shadow Eliminators: Seems like this is gonna live or die based on whether or not it can make the individual cases interesting. Or it will just be a generic exorcist manga with good art, who knows.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just want Undead Unluck to finally explain what the gently caress is up with the bunny thing

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

I just want Undead Unluck to finally explain what the gently caress is up with the bunny thing

It was a young girl that trapped herself in a bunny suit using her negator ability.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

chiasaur11 posted:

They already confirmed that last week, which actually made me wonder this week if it's a fakeout. That is, their closeness makes the other girls worry about that possibility, but both the MC and his sister have absolutely no feelings in that direction whatsoever, leading to a recurring gag of everyone else making way-off-base assumptions.

As the series has been so far, it could really go either way.

Oh, I missed that last chapter, but it coming up again just reads like "it's okay to ship them"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Akane-banashi: Well, it's nice to see that Tanugon is a crowd favorite, at least.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was a young girl that trapped herself in a bunny suit using her negator ability.

I hope that's her big Negator trauma. And I hope it will take multi-chapter arc for Fuko to resolve it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shadow Eliminators is the most generic premise ever. Like, wow, supernatural beings preying on people's emotional issues. How original.

Also lol at Witch Watch introducing another hot older woman for the boys to obsess over.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kagurabachi Sojo might be a guy who's willing to fill the public bath with blood but by god he'll pay 20 yen for the hairdryer like any upstanding fellow.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibblebibble posted:

Kagurabachi Sojo might be a guy who's willing to fill the public bath with blood but by god he'll pay 20 yen for the hairdryer like any upstanding fellow.

The poor lady's gonna have to pay more than that to clean the loving mess he made!!!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

I predict we will have a negator ability that is relevant for or to some beach/hot spring episode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm trying to remember what Negators we've seen that haven't shown up in the time loop.

Unruin, Unchaste, Unjust, Unback,Unhealthy?

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
So far we’ve yet to see Unjustice, Untouch, Unstopable, Unback, Unchaste, Unhealthy, and Unruin

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Exia posted:

So far we’ve yet to see Unjustice, Untouch, Unstopable, Unback, Unchaste, Unhealthy, and Unruin

Oh right, they haven't gotten to the kids yet, that makes sense.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'd love to see what situation would require Unhealthy

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's also whoever Unbalance is

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Justin_Brett posted:

I'd love to see what situation would require Unhealthy

I imagine a scenario where her ability allows her to 1v1 Sick

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They haven't saved Untouchable/ Tatiana yet either.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, chapter 2 of Shadow Eliminators continues to be just a boilerplate supernatural high school student manga.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Undead Unluck i did kinda wonder on rereading if Gender would be an actual UMA, guess that (probably) answers that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

UU: So, the five at the end were definitely Top (obviously), Tatiana, Unback, Unchaste, and Juiz, right? Kinda surprised to see Unchaste again, lmao

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arist posted:

UU: So, the five at the end were definitely Top (obviously), Tatiana, Unback, Unchaste, and Juiz, right? Kinda surprised to see Unchaste again, lmao

This is NG+ 110% bro, no man left behind. Post Made In Heaven Undead Unluck has been at worst solid while just being whatever the gently caress genre the author wants to draw, so I’m very unsurprised that we’re getting The Gang Becomes Idol Groupies arc.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Last Celebration posted:

Undead Unluck i did kinda wonder on rereading if Gender would be an actual UMA, guess that (probably) answers that.

Pretty sure it’s not Gender specifically, it’s Change, since they called Gina her “Vessel” and Gina is Unchange

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Undead Unluck: Yeah the DNA strands were making me think evolution which I guess is a facet of change.

MMA: Still losing it at the loving ripped mma ojou.

Mamayuyu: enjoying this but looking like it might have gotten the "wrap it up" signal.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, chapter 2 of Shadow Eliminators continues to be just a boilerplate supernatural high school student manga.

I like how the flashback with the cop grandpa in the first chapter was copy-and-pasted from Fate/Stay Night.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Akane-banashi: It's neat to see how they're still treating the protagonist as a small fish where a couple dozen people is a pretty successful live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Arist posted:

I don’t remember unchaste at all. Was that the girl that they used to guard Fuuko when Under had her?