Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pradmer posted:

The Traitor Baru Cormorant (Masquerade #1) by Seth Dickinson - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V351EOM/

I hear this one is worth at least the $2.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I like to pair my books with my trips. Had been saving Daryl Gregory's Revelator for the next trip back to the family farm in more-gators-than-cellular-service-bars Louisiana, which I just got back from. Damned good book. Moonshiners, cults, cosmic horror, but not at all in the HPL mythos style those words are conjuring up. I love how Gregory writes families. His books always feel like SF&F that got mis-shelved in Horror because they're unsettling. Just this refreshing refusal to stick to genre conventions that apparently has his publisher flumoxed. Not my favorite of his novels, that's The Devil's Alphabet about the societal effects of a genus of extremely disfiguring and mind altering virus that is extradimensionally transmissible told through a burned out cook's trip back home to bury his father, but strong recommend and a palette cleanser I needed.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Devil's Alphabet sounds dope I'm buying that poo poo. I want to read about that burned out cock's trip home to bury his father this is how I misread the sentence at first scan

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The Doomed City is a trip

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I enjoyed the murderbot character in the first one, but I don't really think they're compelling enough to carry a whole series. I did read the next two, but they seem like essentially the same novel. I managed to skip Rogue Protocol and was quite a bit through Exit Strategy before I realized, went back and lost interest halfway through.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

team overhead smash posted:

Is the Saevus Corax stuff that K J Parker has released recently any good? And does it tend towards his darker work or his more recent lighthearted but still dark Sixteen ways stuff?

it's more of the same, which suits me fine
tends towards his "lighter" stuff but keep in mind it's still kj parker lol

Slyphic posted:

I like to pair my books with my trips. Had been saving Daryl Gregory's Revelator for the next trip back to the family farm in more-gators-than-cellular-service-bars Louisiana, which I just got back from. Damned good book. Moonshiners, cults, cosmic horror, but not at all in the HPL mythos style those words are conjuring up. I love how Gregory writes families. His books always feel like SF&F that got mis-shelved in Horror because they're unsettling. Just this refreshing refusal to stick to genre conventions that apparently has his publisher flumoxed. Not my favorite of his novels, that's The Devil's Alphabet about the societal effects of a genus of extremely disfiguring and mind altering virus that is extradimensionally transmissible told through a burned out cook's trip back home to bury his father, but strong recommend and a palette cleanser I needed.

oh, he's good

1. spoonbenders
2. raising stony mayhall/pandemonium
3. revelator
4. alphabet

i hope he writes more spoonebenders-type stuff, I'm not much of a horror fan

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

team overhead smash posted:

Is the Saevus Corax stuff that K J Parker has released recently any good? And does it tend towards his darker work or his more recent lighthearted but still dark Sixteen ways stuff?

Yeah, it’s a fusion of both of his personas, a lazy cash grab that he’s clearly making up as he goes along, and as of in 72 hours and five minutes, I will have bought all three of them the instant they are available. At full price.

Goddamn, genre publishing is a study in perverse incentives; why spend 3 years writing a masterpiece when you could crank out septuple of the low-effort stuff that pays off sooner? Masterpieces have a long tail but (disposable genre stuff I also love) recoups faster with lower effort.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 2, 2023

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I also inhaled the first two books, groaned when his characters made yet another siege engine, but I was just cackling at the whole sequence with the cook.

Interesting post from him here btw

https://www.deviantart.com/sregan/art/The-world-of-KJ-Parker-s-Siege-trilogy-906725483

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite novel of Daryl Gregory was "We are all Completely Fine". Really dug it.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Black Leopard, Red Wolf (Dark Star #1) by Marlon James - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DP5W1LT/

A Man of His Word: The Complete Series by Dave Duncan - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0732J6PN5/

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Doktor Avalanche posted:

oh, he's good

1. spoonbenders
Spoonbenders is my number 2, but a novel I feel like I can't recommend if you've never read any Gregory before. That first chapter is gonna have a lot of people noping out immediately and thinking you some kind of perv.

Daryl Gregory's Spoonbenders, Chapter 1 posted:

Just before it happened, he was kneeling in a closet, one sweaty hand pressed to the chalky drywall, his right eye lined up with the hole at the back of an unwired electrical outlet box. On the other side of the wall was his cousin Mary Alice and her chubby white-blonde friend. Janice? Janelle? Probably Janelle. The girls—both two years older than him, juniors, women—lay on the bed side by side, propped up on their elbows, facing in his direction. Janelle wore a spangled T-shirt, but Mary Alice—who the year before had announced that she would respond only to “Malice”—wore an oversized red flannel shirt that hung off her shoulder. His eye was drawn to the gaping neck of the shirt, following that swell of skin down down down into shadow. He was pretty sure she was wearing a black bra.

Out of desperation, he set down three commandments for himself:

1. If your cousin is in the room, do not try to look down her shirt. It’s creepy.

2. Do not have lustful thoughts about your cousin.

3. Under no circumstances should you touch yourself while having lustful thoughts about your cousin.

So far tonight the first two had gone down in flames, and the third was in the crosshairs.

Doesn't quite set up the story promised on the back of the book about MK Ultra / Yuri Geller / Men Who Stare At Goats shenanigans. It delivers that story for sure, it's just that a couple of the characters are teenagers and not the sexless Disney channel automaton's you normally read about protagonizing.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Just finished Forging Hephaestus by Drew Hayes which I really enjoyed. It's about a villain going through an apprenticeship to join the villains guild in a superhero setting, and both the powers and characters were fun. Decently written too, better than average KU (I didn't even remember it was KU until I went to buy the sequel). Bonus, it's not an Evil Superman story either, and their world isn't completely corporate evil. 👍

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I was informed that Walter Jon Williams is working on the second sequel to Metropolitan, more than twenty years after the earlier books came out. The magical ecumenopolis setting does sound like it has enticing potential.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
I read the first of Hobb’s Farseer books and have a general question: How often do dogs die because of their association with Fitz? The deaths of Smithy and Nosy broke me in a way that had me crying over my own dog, who looked at me with some concern. I’m not sure if I can handle the rest of the books if it’s a common occurrence.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

secular woods sex posted:

I read the first of Hobb’s Farseer books and have a general question: How often do dogs die because of their association with Fitz? The deaths of Smithy and Nosy broke me in a way that had me crying over my own dog, who looked at me with some concern. I’m not sure if I can handle the rest of the books if it’s a common occurrence.
It's been a while so I might be wrong, but way less than you think IIRC I think there's just one more, in the first book of the second Fitz trilogy and that's it

Hel fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 3, 2023

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

A Betrayal in Winter (Long Price Quartet #2) by Daniel Abraham - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003K15OHK/

The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OCXHUY/

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I was looking the the Google books store of the best of 2023 because I obviously hate myself and saw a book called the Fourth Wing.

Are new books just blatant slapping together of other books ideas and calling it good? And not even make any real innovation? Because the summary read as what if they dragon riders of pern went to Hogwarts and Hogwarts was in Westeros?

I mean, I get mashing up 2 concepts to make something new. That happens all the time, but I didn't realize it was going to be that blatant .

Am I just old and cranky?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah. There have always been books that felt derivative but were super popular. Probably there always will be. And, honestly, if it's bringing money into publishing, good. I don't believe the people buying the latest BookTok sensation would be spending their money on "better" books otherwise, I think they'd just not be spending it on books.

I can rag on Sanderson all day, artistically, but he probably pays for my advances. (The other stuff he pays for is a bit more complex :( )

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Fair enough. Maybe it's just that I haven't looked at the general population's idea of best in a while since I have a backlog that's already big enough that, mathematically, I'll die before finishing it. But it just through me for a loop how unabashedly blatant some of the one to one copies are. But I guess people getting into fantasy today won't have read Pern or even GoT and are more likely to be reading Shadow and Bone, I guess?

Like you said, at least they're reading. While I haven't read Fourth Wing, if its doing as you say to at least get people reading them that's better than the alternatives.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ravus Ursus posted:

I mean, I get mashing up 2 concepts to make something new. That happens all the time, but I didn't realize it was going to be that blatant .

You may have heard of The Sword of Shannara? Straight-up Tolkien ripoff.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ravus Ursus posted:

I was looking the the Google books store of the best of 2023 because I obviously hate myself and saw a book called the Fourth Wing.

Are new books just blatant slapping together of other books ideas and calling it good? And not even make any real innovation? Because the summary read as what if they dragon riders of pern went to Hogwarts and Hogwarts was in Westeros?

Yeah. There's always been rip-offs, and rip-offs that get popular.

The answer is to reaffirm that there's all kinds of cool and original stuff being published even today. What do you want to read?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You may have heard of The Sword of Shannara? Straight-up Tolkien ripoff.

Even The Wheel of Time started off as a Lord of the Rings knockoff in many ways. Not nearly as much as The Sword of Shannara, but enough to be noticeable.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 3, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Speaking of weird original books, has anyone read The Cusanus Game by Wolfgang Jeschke? It's German sci-fi/weird that I'm curious about :

quote:

Biologist Domenica Ligrina fears her planet is dying. She might be right.

An atomic disaster in Germany has contaminated Northern Europe with radioactivity. Economic and political calamities are destroying the whole planet. Human DNA is mutating, plant species are going extinct, and scientists are feverishly working on possible solutions. It becomes increasingly apparent that the key to future salvation lies in the past. In 2052 a secret research facility in the Vatican is recruiting scientists for a mission to restore the flora of the irradiated territories. The institute claims to have time travel. When Domenica’s sometime-lover tells her that he knows her future but that she must decide her own fate, she enlists despite his ambiguous warning.

The Middle Ages hold Domenica spellbound. She immerses herself in the mysteries, puzzles, and peculiarities of a culture foreign to her, though she risks changing the past with effects far more disastrous than radiation poisoning. Perhaps there is more than one Domenica, and more than one catastrophe.

e: fuckit, curious about this one too:

Amatka by Karin Tidbeck

quote:

Vanja, a government worker, leaves her home city of Essre for the austere, wintry colony of Amatka on a research assignment. It takes some adjusting: people act differently in Amatka, and citizens are monitored for signs of subversion.

Intending to stay just a short while, Vanja finds herself falling in love with her housemate, Nina, and decides to stick around. But when she stumbles on evidence of a growing threat to the colony and a cover-up by its administration, she begins an investigation that puts her at tremendous risk.

In Karin Tidbeck's dystopic imagining, language has the power to shape reality. Unless objects, buildings, and the surrounding landscape are repeatedly named, and named properly, everything will fall apart. Trapped in the repressive colony, Vanja dreams of using language to break free, but her individualism may well threaten the very fabric of reality. Amatka is a beguiling and wholly original novel about freedom, love, and artistic creation by an idiosyncratic new voice.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 3, 2023

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Speaking of weird original books, has anyone read The Cusanus Game by Wolfgang Jeschke? It's German sci-fi/weird that I'm curious about :
Yes, albeit a long time ago. From what I remember it is sort of like Paolo Bacigalupi meets Ted Chiang? Except, uh, not as good as that makes it sound. I thought it was unfortunately fairly turgid, lots and lots of worldbuilding detail about its ravaged global warming + nuclear accident future, but I didn't find the characters compelling and the plot takes ages to get moving. And I love Chiang but his almost nihilistic metaphysical ruminations are easier to stomach in short stories. But it does read differently than most English-language SF.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

FPyat posted:

I was informed that Walter Jon Williams is working on the second sequel to Metropolitan, more than twenty years after the earlier books came out. The magical ecumenopolis setting does sound like it has enticing potential.

really liked metropolitan and city on fire but i'd rather he wrote more quillifer. There's probably space for a bit more dagmar shaw, given how toxic some technology has made parts of society.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Amatka by Karin Tidbeck

Read and loved this a few years ago. It's much more interested in its weird idea than it is in its characters, but if you can roll with that, you'll probably like it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

branedotorg posted:

really liked metropolitan and city on fire but i'd rather he wrote more quillifer. There's probably space for a bit more dagmar shaw, given how toxic some technology has made parts of society.

I'm a long-time WJW fan, but I always thought Metropolitan and City were among his lesser works. I agree that I'd rather see more Dagmar. I'd also love to see him take another look at sci fi (as opposed to space opera).

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah. There's always been rip-offs, and rip-offs that get popular.

The answer is to reaffirm that there's all kinds of cool and original stuff being published even today. What do you want to read?

Fair enough, a friend just reminded me about 50 shades of grey.

I'm good on books, between the rec from here and what I've already got, I could never get another rec and id still have a lifetime of reading. I think my TBR is over 600books at this point.

Though I tend to slap entire series on there so it can teim quick if I don't dig something. After Alex Verus I'm not going to slog through something because I'm hoping it'll improve.

Right now it's Hill House and Werewolf in Paris before I crack into Hyperion.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Ravus Ursus posted:

All of Fourth Wing discourse on YouTube and Twitter is basically "tell me you haven't read Pern without telling me you haven't read Pern".

I haven't read the book because it sounds intensely not my thing: it is apparently a romance with fantasy aesthetics with very little fantasy plot, blurb not withstanding.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Leng posted:

I haven't read the book because it sounds intensely not my thing: it is apparently a romance with fantasy aesthetics with very little fantasy plot, blurb not withstanding.

This is typical of the new wave of popular booktok "fantasy" fiction by all accounts. (Not that p/horny romance fantasy hasn't been a constant genre in fantasy forever)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

There's been a big marketing push for "Romantasy" lately.

As far as I can tell, it's just another expression of the whole "YA with a thin veneer of being for adults" thing, just like New Adult was before it, all driven by BookTok and Bookstagram aesthetics and gif-filled Goodreads reviews. It's cynical, but whatever keeps the lights on for the publishing industry, y'know?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

pradmer posted:

The Doomed City by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky - $0.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9KHTVI/

Thanks, this looks like a good use of credits.

cptn_dr posted:

gif-filled Goodreads reviews

I'd be more mad about these if they weren't such a good way to identify reviews to skip.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

cptn_dr posted:

As far as I can tell, it's just another expression of the whole "YA with a thin veneer of being for adults" thing, just like New Adult was before it, all driven by BookTok and Bookstagram aesthetics and gif-filled Goodreads reviews. It's cynical, but whatever keeps the lights on for the publishing industry, y'know?

In fairness I would say the Fourth Wing is, if nothing else, very Adult.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Kchama posted:

Even The Wheel of Time started off as a Lord of the Rings knockoff in many ways. Not nearly as much as The Sword of Shannara, but enough to be noticeable.

That was a lot more "start in very familiar territory to help the reader ground themselves" than anything else. It differs from Shannara and such in kind, not just in degree, from the very beginning.

Which is also a very good reason why writers tend to deliberately derive from other works - endlessly trying to reinvent the wheel for the sake of being Original is likely to alienate readers and get in the way of the story you're trying to tell. More importantly, your (often edgy) attempts at being Original will probably wind up following the same wheel ruts anyway, because that's a path well-traveled for a reason.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

if it's marketed as such, that's actually a win, I'm so sick of recommendations, especially amazon ones that don't distinguish between romance/porn with a sci-fi cover and sci-fi (replace with any genre i regularly read). fair go if that's your thing but it isn't mine and any added tag or sub genre that helps categorisation is a win for me.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Deliberately deriving from other works is not the exclusive alternative to trying for originality. Usually, you find both being done at the same time.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Following a RandomWaffle image led a friend to enlighten me with this collection of SF cover art by French imprint Chute Libre in the 70s. :nws: for illustrated nudity/sex/gore. Some very cool images here, I'd love to get a blown-up poster of the Atrocity Exhibition one. https://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/2012/08/23/chute-libre-science-fiction/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Following a RandomWaffle image led a friend to enlighten me with this collection of SF cover art by French imprint Chute Libre in the 70s. :nws: for illustrated nudity/sex/gore. Some very cool images here, I'd love to get a blown-up poster of the Atrocity Exhibition one. https://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton/2012/08/23/chute-libre-science-fiction/

Moebius sure did love him a bit of hentai, didn't he?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Personally I'm okay with books being a pastiche of other books. It's hard enough to find new stuff to read for my uncultured rear end, so if a new book is hailed as a combination of two other books I really liked, chances are I might like it.

Even then, different authors can bring such a different feel to the same subject matter that I'm not sure how much it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

City of Stairs (Divine Cities #1) by Robert Jackson Bennett - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J1ISJFA/

The Tiger and the Wolf (Echoes of the Fall #1) by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018SIYVAU/

City of Saints and Madmen (Ambergris #1) by Jeff VanderMeer - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QGLWB3H/

Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky - $1.99