Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
So Godzilla-1 had a budget of 15m. How. That seems really low to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Philthy posted:

I don't get it either but I assume that they were literally using slave labor to make the film. Like 15 million dollars is ridiculously low. I don't see how they made it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
American budgets are typically huge because of strong unions and location shots. You ax both of those and you got a stew goin baby

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Shin Godzilla had the same budget.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hollismason posted:

Shin Godzilla had the same budget.

Half the budget

I think cheap labor goes a really long way

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Doltos posted:

Half the budget

I think cheap labor goes a really long way

No I think they both were made for 15 million dollars. At least that is what just Google and Wikipedia tells me.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Philthy posted:

Japanese movie productions quite literally pays peanuts, overworks its production staff to the bone and job security is nill. Basically everything bad about the US movie industry is nightmare mode in Japan.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

dorium posted:

Japanese movie productions quite literally pays peanuts, overworks its production staff to the bone and job security is nill. Basically everything bad about the US movie industry is nightmare mode in Japan.

Yeah a guy I follow on Bluesky who's worked for Japanese and US productions was saying a $75k job below-the-line like Gaffer or Art Director in the US is like $18k in Japan. And it's not like Japan is some tiny country where that money goes farther, either.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It doesn't matter but I want to win an argument

Shin Godzilla had a budget of 1 billion yen. That's 6.8 million dollars. Half of Minus One's budget. I expect my bouquets and ribboned wreaths

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I see wikipedia cites an interview with Anno in Japanese for the 1 billion thing but Google translating and skimming it left me confused. Maybe I'm just drunk tho

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Nikumatic posted:

for some reason whenever someone brings up lake mungo i immediately instead think of beneath, the dopey-rear end killer catfish movie with this beautiful creature

That looks like a Goliath Tiger Fish, you can go and catch tomorroww in Tanzania

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Through coughing, pain, and exhaustion its back.

Spook-A-Doodle Movie Club & Bracketology Tournament '24

I tried to simply the writeup and make it look less crazy and intimidating. I'm moving slow but I'm working on it but all are welcome to take part. We'll be nominating directors and teams for the next week or so, voting until Christmas, and then a new tournament/season for the New Year. Hope to see you there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Doltos posted:

It doesn't matter but I want to win an argument

Shin Godzilla had a budget of 1 billion yen. That's 6.8 million dollars. Half of Minus One's budget. I expect my bouquets and ribboned wreaths

Imdb list it as 15 million

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Minus One is just breathtaking. Godzilla is a horror movie again.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hollismason posted:

Imdb list it as 15 million

My bouquets and ribboned wreaths tho...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What's the best way to get into Godzilla movies, or is it just "start with the '54 movie and work your way forward"? There's like 40 of these dang things.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Count Thrashula posted:

What's the best way to get into Godzilla movies, or is it just "start with the '54 movie and work your way forward"? There's like 40 of these dang things.

Under no circumstances do you have to watch the Godzilla movies in chronological order. The ones from 84 to 95 have some continuity, but that's it, everything else functions as stand alone movie

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

You should find one that looks like it has a really cool monster and watch that one, and then watch them in order of monster coolness. :hai:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

I think finding your favorite era would be best. If you have a decade you are already partial to when it comes to films- watch some Godzilla from then. Don’t worry too much about continuity.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

If you want scary Godzilla the original movie is still incredible and so is Minus One, the one in theaters now.

Otherwise find your era, find a cool monster, and have fun! You get goofy Godzilla, martial arts Godzilla, even the decent modern American Godzilla movies (with Godzilla vs. Kong being a great standout). Spoiled for choice really.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

And even the bad ones are still fun when you’re high or drunk or tired/exhausted.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

Under no circumstances do you have to watch the Godzilla movies in chronological order. The ones from 84 to 95 have some continuity, but that's it, everything else functions as stand alone movie

That's broadly true but some movies do acknowledge (certain) films that came before them. Ghidorah (the Three-Headed Monster) really benefits from following Mothra Vs, for example.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Count Thrashula posted:

if you specifically want a highlights reel of Godzilla as horror, and not the dozens of movies that are more like giant monster wrestling matches, then watch:

Godzilla '54
The Return of Godzilla
maybe Godzilla 2014 i guess
Shin Godzilla
Godzilla Minus One

this is not a representative view of the Godzilla franchise as a whole, because there are like three distinct eras / continuities of Japanese films, plus the recent American ones by Legendary, and a few other stand-alone ones of varying quality. covering all of that would take a massive effortpost and it's probably already been covered in the OP of the godzilla thread anyways

e: also of the five i mentioned only the first two are in direct continuity with each other, the rest are all reboots

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 4, 2023

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Watch everything available by Ishiro Honda, Godzilla or otherwise

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My first Godzilla was the Roland Emmerich one which might explain things

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I would personally add to the "Godzilla as horror icon" GMK: Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah Giant Monsters All Out Attack which has some fun monster wrasslin' but also has the meanest motherfucker of a Godzilla between Return and Shin.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I worked my way through all the original era of Godzilla films plus stuff like Rodan and Mothra. Took me like two years with on and off but I enjoyed it. Next year I’ll probably eventually dip into the next era.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Heisei Era of Godzilla for life.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish they would make a Godzilla+ channel so I can open the app and watch all the godzillas in HDish

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

PlutoTV should have a kaiju channel, if they did I'd have it on in the background essentially constantly.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

They do at least have Tokushoutsu which has a ton of great toku, including Ultraman, and there's a whole bunch of big monsters destroying cities in toku!

Also, lots of Godzilla movies are still on the Criterion Channel!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hollismason posted:

Heisei Era of Godzilla for life.

Criterion boxset when?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ambitious Spider posted:

Criterion boxset when?

Never

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rodan is awesome because it pulls the Worf Manuever by setting up these killer insects that are legit scary then Rodan shows up and effortlessly bodies them and you're like "oh shi-!"

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

STAC Goat posted:

Through coughing, pain, and exhaustion its back.

Spook-A-Doodle Movie Club & Bracketology Tournament '24

I tried to simply the writeup and make it look less crazy and intimidating. I'm moving slow but I'm working on it but all are welcome to take part. We'll be nominating directors and teams for the next week or so, voting until Christmas, and then a new tournament/season for the New Year. Hope to see you there.

Yesss, stoked to get this started once again. There's probably no better source on the internet for off the beaten path horror movies than this, and it's getting better (weirder) every year!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Count Thrashula posted:

People are right that you can just watch Gojira 1954, Shin Godzilla, Godzilla 2014, and/or Minus One, because those are each pretty great disaster/horror movies. They're all variations on the Godzilla origin story, and require no additional research or anything.

However, the "Tokyo S.O.S." narrative is probably the best actual summary of the series' overall content. It consists of only four movies: the best Godzilla movie, the best Mothra movie, and the best Mechagodzilla movie, culminating in a big crossover.

-Gojira (1954)
-Mothra (1961)
-Godzilla x Mechagodzilla (2002)
-Godzilla x Mothra x Mechagodzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

As you can see from the release dates, you get a pretty good mix of the original horror movie, the zany 1960s stuff, and a more contemporary take. from there, you can focus on which aspects you prefer (more horror, more camp sci-fi, or whatever).

Godzilla is largely like James Bond, in that there's not much strict plot continuity, but there is a clear progression to the stories. Also, a big chunk of the entries are just not that good. The following are my recommending viewing orders, based on taste and quality.

Essential films in Ishiro Honda's original Godzilla series:

-Gojira 1954
-Rodan
-Mothra
-Mothra vs. Godzilla
-Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
-Invasion of Astro-Monster
-Gorath (this was released before MvG, and is not precisely a kaiju movie, but it takes place chronologically after the others and provides a nice thematic conclusion to everything.)

The Return Of Godzilla + Takao Okawara's "Versus" trilogy:

Gojira 1954
Gojira 1984
Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1993)
Godzilla vs. Destoroyah

"Monsterverse" without the crap sequels:

Godzilla 2014
Kong: Skull Island
Rampage 2018 (unofficial thematic sequel)

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 5, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
also I’m sorry but everyone including myself has been lax in recommending Godzilla vs Hedorah which is incredible for so many reasons

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Now I was ready to trust Super MechaGodzilla as someone who clearly, by virtue of being Super MechaGodzilla, knows what they're talking about, but the Monsterverse stuff is certainly a matter of taste because I do not care for Godzilla 2014 and would absolutely recommend Godzilla vs. Kong because it's fun :colbert:

Also, no Destroy All Monsters?! I'm sensing some bias, MechaGodzilla!!!!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I’m also not sure how Rampage is a thematic sequel to Skull Island, because if I recall correctly, SMG has previously explained that Rampage is a blatant and uncomplicated metaphor for having a friend with a mental illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All godzillas are good imo.