Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Grem posted:

Hi! I have been tasked with bringing in a "treat" to work in May along with my team. People laughed because I am a culinary idiot and eat like those Hostess donuts for breakfast. They know I ain't cooking anything. But I want to blow them away, what's the easiest, but most complicated LOOKING baked good I can serve to 20 people.
Absolutely the Nutella snowflake thing. Buy two items, slather one on the other, do a tiny bit of twisting and basically call it a day. https://www.sewwhite.com/wprm_print/33764

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I mean if you have until May just learn to actually cook. You got months to practice

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yeah you could probably take some baking courses. See if someone offers a macaron or croissant class, or some generic baking courses

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Pick one baking recipe and do it each weekend between now and May so you've got it down to a T. Your friends, family and neighbours will love you due to all the baking goods they'll get since I'm sure you'll be sick of whatever recipe you pick.

If it were me, I'd do small cinnamon rolls and brownie squares. It's much nicer having individual finger-grabbable baked goods so everyone can just grab their little portion. I made the mistake of taking cake into work and it was inevitably slightly ruined by the greedy bastards who cut themselves massive portions.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

alnilam posted:

My kids love pancakes (duh) and we often use Kodiak :rock: POWER CAKES :rock: mix because it has added protein, I think by way of whey powder. Also it's easy.

Anyway I'm wondering if there's a from-scratch way to make proteiny pancakes that still just taste like pancakes? Like is it easy to just add whey powder to a standard pancake recipe?

You sure can! Just be sure you've got dairy with fat in the recipe (like adding full fat Greek yogurt) so they don't end up too dry. Here's a recipe that seemed fairly normal (just use sugar instead of stevia):
https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/protein-pancakes/#recipe

So many recipe blogs serving up wacky substitutions trying to meet some very arcane definitions of "healthy" out there.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

effika posted:

You sure can! Just be sure you've got dairy with fat in the recipe (like adding full fat Greek yogurt) so they don't end up too dry. Here's a recipe that seemed fairly normal (just use sugar instead of stevia):
https://healthyrecipesblogs.com/protein-pancakes/#recipe

So many recipe blogs serving up wacky substitutions trying to meet some very arcane definitions of "healthy" out there.

Thanks!

Yeah you try to find a recipe for a normal thing with one semi health oriented change and they assume you're every other kind of health nut too. I remember reading about making kombucha once and the author spent two paragraphs preëmptively defending the use of refined sugar... "yes yes i know it's evil refined sugar, i promise you the scoby is going to consume it all and none of the evil will be left when you drink it"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Anne Whateley posted:

Absolutely the Nutella snowflake thing. Buy two items, slather one on the other, do a tiny bit of twisting and basically call it a day. https://www.sewwhite.com/wprm_print/33764

Thanks I'll probably try baking this a few times. I don't have the time or money to do baking classes but I appreciate the suggestions.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Is this a breakfast time thing?

Do you own a stand mixer? I'm assuming not.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

guppy posted:

Is this a breakfast time thing?

Do you own a stand mixer? I'm assuming not.

Yea usually a breakfast thing. No stand mixer, lol

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there any reason i can't premix a bunch of sauces in a large batch? i combine sweet thai chili sauce, balsamic vinegar, miso paste and gochujang (or sometimes a premade marinade that has these in it) as a sauce for pan-fried chicken, and when i dont have the effort to cook a variety of stuff i tend to use this recipe as like a 5-day staple and it would save time if i just made a giant batch of it to spoon out. is there anything to be mindful of or can i just go about doing that?

my intuition is that its probably okay, but i maybe wouldnt try it with mayo or something, i dunno

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Worst that will happen with those ingredients is some separation that you can fix by shaking it up. Mayo based sauces are usually good for a while too

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Verviticus posted:

i combine sweet thai chili sauce, balsamic vinegar, miso paste and gochujang

I know this is not what you asked, but this sauce would be greatly improved (in my opinion) by using a different vinegar

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Scientastic posted:

I know this is not what you asked, but this sauce would be greatly improved (in my opinion) by using a different vinegar

Screaming out for some Chinese black vinegar.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah id take suggestions on how to change it, absolutely. ill see if someone i know has chinese black vinegar and give it a shot (or just buy it if i cant)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Try playing around with blending in a lil bit of xanthan gum on some of those, itll hold its consistency a little better.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

can xanthan gum be mixed in with a fork easily enough or does it need more than that to mix properly

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Verviticus posted:

can xanthan gum be mixed in with a fork easily enough or does it need more than that to mix properly

I've only ever seen it used with a blender

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

drat it might be hard to make a small amount of that to test it out

Carillon
May 9, 2014

You can use a stick blender if that's easier.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Definitely not fork mixable

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Verviticus posted:

yeah id take suggestions on how to change it, absolutely. ill see if someone i know has chinese black vinegar and give it a shot (or just buy it if i cant)

If you can't find black vinegar (thouh if you have any asian grocer where you live they should have it) any common vinegar that is less sweet than balsamic is worth trying. Sherry vinegar is really nice, although more expensive than normal white or red wine vinegar.

The great thing about vinegar in general is that it genuinely lasts pretty much forever, so no worries about it going bad before you use it up. Buy all the vinegars. Also, I'll try that sauce next time I make chicken.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Verviticus posted:

drat it might be hard to make a small amount of that to test it out

Stick blender us about the minimum i think

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/produkt-milk-frother-black-30301167/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have an ancient bottle of olive oil that's gone bad. What's the appropriate way to dispose of the remaining oil? Obviously don't just dump it down the drain, but e.g. pouring it into the yard waste bin also feels odd.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have an ancient bottle of olive oil that's gone bad. What's the appropriate way to dispose of the remaining oil? Obviously don't just dump it down the drain, but e.g. pouring it into the yard waste bin also feels odd.

Its a plant oil, it will compost or break down in the soil.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Better to search for local food oil collection. They can turn it into biofuel. I have a gallon jug I store spent oil in the meantime and when it's full take it in

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

If you have a fire pit you can just burn it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BrianBoitano posted:

Better to search for local food oil collection. They can turn it into biofuel. I have a gallon jug I store spent oil in the meantime and when it's full take it in
My water utility collects used cooking oil to recycle and has containers and drop off points available so people don’t dump it down the drain. You might check on that too.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If you have any restaurant friends most places with fryers will have a grease trap you can donate to with permission

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
When reusing oil, does the temperature affect the longevity?

I'm practicing confit technique, in a 200 to 250 degree oven. I'm using mostly duck fat supplemented with olive oil (because duck fat is expensive). I also have a pork shoulder roasting in beef tallow right now.
If I filter the oil through cheesecloth after each use, and refrigerate, could the oil last a few months in the fridge? Do you think I could get 6 uses over 6 months?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

Verviticus posted:

Not at all. I love xanthan gum. You should absolutely try it. However, it clumps up almost instantly. Even with a very fast whisk, xanthan gum will turn into white dots as soon as you put it in.

The only way I get xantham gum to thicken properly is with a blender, either stick or jar. Turn the blender on high and sprinkle the xanthan gum powder in slowly. You should see the thickening effect immediately.

I used to sell hot sauce, and here are the percentages I found worked for sauces with the consistency of water:
0.1% (multiply the weight of the liquid by 0.001): Almost no thickening, but it keeps the sauce from breaking or separating, even when stored for months.
0.3% About the thickness of sriracha. This is what I used on my hot sauce.
1.0% Thick as ketchup. I did this twice when I screwed up my math (I multiplied by .01 instead of .001). The sauce was so thick it wouldn't come out of a regular 5 ounce hot sauce bottle.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Bagheera posted:

When reusing oil, does the temperature affect the longevity?

I'm practicing confit technique, in a 200 to 250 degree oven. I'm using mostly duck fat supplemented with olive oil (because duck fat is expensive). I also have a pork shoulder roasting in beef tallow right now.
If I filter the oil through cheesecloth after each use, and refrigerate, could the oil last a few months in the fridge? Do you think I could get 6 uses over 6 months?

Looks like it degrades at higher temps.

The National Library Of Medicine posted:

Research reveals that heating the vegetable oils up to the level of 180 °C changes their chemical composition and reduces the quality of oil by decomposing the heat-labile vitamin E.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

What do you all like for induction cookware, I gotta switch out my old pots n pans. I just need a cheap pot for boiling, but would like to go high-end for large saute pan

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

My Dad Nintendo posted:

What do you all like for induction cookware, I gotta switch out my old pots n pans. I just need a cheap pot for boiling, but would like to go high-end for large saute pan

I've become a MadeIn fanboy. I have their saucier and their small saucepan. The ergonomics are really great, and the heating is very even. They're my most recent purchases. If I had to start over, I'd probably get all MadeIn.

I also have a Lodge Dutch oven and cast iron skillet.

I have a 12-inch tri-ply stainless steel skillet branded Emeril. I don't think they sell it anymore, but it's outstanding and has lasted 10 years.

Finally I have a cheap stainless-clad stock pot for big batches of soup or stock.

In the future, I'm debating whether to cook a carbon steel skillet and/or griddle.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

My Dad Nintendo posted:

I'm in the process of switching everything over to induction and have a mix of Misen skillets, Misen stockpots, and allclad factory seconds for everything else.

e; I might buy that 12qt stockpot above, I only have an 8qt atm and between those two I should be more than set.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Does msg burn or turn bitter during high-heat cooking?

I usually salt roasted vegetables but often skip spices since they can burn. But I’m not sure what MSG would do.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I use it in my crackling, which I do at the highest temperature my oven can go to at either end of the roast, it’s never been bitter

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Eeyo posted:

I usually salt roasted vegetables but often skip spices since they can burn. But I’m not sure what MSG would do.

Just add the spices near the end

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Eeyo posted:

MSG, as far as I can tell, is fairly inert until it hits degradation temp, which is about 160C or 320F.

No idea what happens then, but I would think you could get some off flavors at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dead Of Winter posted:

MSG, as far as I can tell, is fairly inert until it hits degradation temp, which is about 160C or 320F.

No idea what happens then, but I would think you could get some off flavors at the very least.

Where are you getting that temperature from? All of the data I can see has a much higher degradation temperature...

You definitely don't get off flavours at 160C: as I say, I use it in my crackling, and that involves heating a big piece of fat pig to 220-230C.