Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The dungeons weren't exactly all perfectly unique in Oblivion and Skyrim but at least you weren't clearing the same loving outpost or cave for the 20th time

WoW was guilty of that too, but it's 19 years old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Macichne Leainig posted:

The dungeons weren't exactly all perfectly unique in Oblivion and Skyrim but at least you weren't clearing the same loving outpost or cave for the 20th time

WoW was guilty of that too, but it's 19 years old
Yeah at least the environmental storytelling was unique even though they reused most of the cave/ruined factory/etc. maps a bunch. Placing the exact same cryo lab that only differs in what random loot the chests spit out though, :wtchris:

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

orcane posted:

... most of them aren't even on a map before you get the corresponding objectives, and you will never find them by randomly navigating the starmap.

Is that true? I haven't done any questing outside of the Constellation stuff but I have been randomly flying around the place and finding some weird places that seem tied to quests or missions I don't have. One that stands out was a place called a safehouse where nobody was in there but an "alpha" terrormorph (iirc) and when I left another terrormorph attacked me that had a woman's voice in my head saying something about I'm going to lose; "we always lose". Felt like it was connected to something else but I don't know, haven't come across any other safehouses like that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The voices are part of the terrormorph attack, but not specific to that POI. It's mentioned if you do the UC Vanguard questline, they emit a pheromone that makes you hallucinate, for some reason.

That safehouse location is just a one-off POI as far as I can tell, it's not directly linked to anything, like the random derelict ships you can find, etc.

Of course it's possible some of it is connected to cut content, but honestly it feels like the thing they do in most of the games where they have a little self-contained short story in some of the POIs. What stands out more are the ones that are clearly weird, but have no real storytelling to them, stuff like the hastily abandoned star stations with no logs or terminals.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 4, 2023

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Barometer posted:

Is that true? I haven't done any questing outside of the Constellation stuff but I have been randomly flying around the place and finding some weird places that seem tied to quests or missions I don't have. One that stands out was a place called a safehouse where nobody was in there but an "alpha" terrormorph (iirc) and when I left another terrormorph attacked me that had a woman's voice in my head saying something about I'm going to lose; "we always lose". Felt like it was connected to something else but I don't know, haven't come across any other safehouses like that.
I meant the actual world/starmap. If the PoI is in a cell with some other location you know, you can find it like you can find Fallout/Skyrim etc. locations (the back entrance for the Terrormorph lab is one such example). But without planetary map markers you have to know where exactly the "hidden" PoI is and finding the correct cell by randomly landing somewhere with your ship is very unlikely (and I'm not sure you can actually do so by trying to land in the correct spot even if you know where on a planet).

orcane fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 4, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orcane posted:

If the PoI is in a cell with some other location you know, you can find it like you can find Fallout/Skyrim etc. locations (the back entrance for the Terrormorph lab is one such example).

I was extremely disappointed when I sequence broke a main quest this way and instead of adjusting the scripting to account for it the game just blocked my progress in a nonsensical way by having a character I had never met talk to me over the intercom as if I knew them, and then just stopping there with no indicator of what to do.

Like even when you can do Fallout/Skyrim stuff in the game Bethesda didn't make it like they used to.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Flowing Thot posted:

I think adding that stuff would just make the game worse. The game would be better off without landing anywhere on entire planets. Have like 10 planets with desiginated landing zones instead of 1000 star systems with a bunch of planets and moons you can land anywhere. Also get rid of the entire part where you fly the spaceship it's pointless and bad. I know Morrowind moving to a fixed map instead of the wide open nothingness of Daggerfall had it's doubters, but it was the right move.

Outer Worlds was right.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

orcane posted:

But without planetary map markers you have to know where exactly the "hidden" PoI is and finding the correct cell by randomly landing somewhere with your ship is very unlikely (and I'm not sure you can actually do so by trying to land in the correct spot even if you know where on a planet).

Yeah I don’t think this is possible at all. It doesn’t matter where you click; if you don’t click the specific “Location Updog” point of interest when choosing a landing spot, it just doesn’t exist.

Like, if you choose to land on Jemison somewhere that isn’t New Atlantis, it doesn’t matter how close you land to the city, you can never actually get there until you take off and then land specifically at the New Atlantis POI.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

1glitch0 posted:

Outer Worlds was right.

The irony is that both companies made a game that was too big, it's just that BSG had a much higher ceiling.

Isn't Obsidian making the Skyrim style game in the Pillars of Eternity setting, except they've smartly decided to make it more limited, like the Outer Worlds instead? Good, control the scope of the project, I'm all for it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jack B Nimble posted:

The irony is that both companies made a game that was too big, it's just that BSG had a much higher ceiling.

Isn't Obsidian making the Skyrim style game in the Pillars of Eternity setting, except they've smartly decided to make it more limited, like the Outer Worlds instead? Good, control the scope of the project, I'm all for it.

Yeah, it was probably a smart move, but I hope Obsidian's new game doesn't feel as limited as Outer Worlds. I thought people might be more forgiving of Outer Worlds after Starfield because I think that it's not a failing of any company to not be able to make a Skyrim style open world game in space. It's either going to be small towns on 5 different planets with Outer Worlds which feels really confining, or 1000 planets of nothing.

That being said I think I honestly prefer Outer Worlds. It's feels limited and has a pretty bad weapons upgrade/inventory management system, but even the most annoying companion in OW is more interesting and compelling than any of the ones in Starfield. OW's shithole cyberpunk space city was better. Their western town are about even with Starfield's being maybe a little better, and I think despite being smaller Byzantium is cooler than New Atlantis.

The problem with OW is that it feels so small and the problem with Starfield is the actual meaty content feels only slightly bigger than OW despite being a much more gigantic game.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
OW feels like a game with not a lot of budget being stretched too much and some gameplay systems that needed more design passes.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Has anyone done a video of themselves clearing Cryo Facility blindfolded yet?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Flowing Thot posted:

Being able to fly down to a planet without a loading screen does nothing to solve the games actual problems. Space is loving boring.

Space is boring because these are narrative ridden games with lovely writing, repeated stories, or just no story areas. I get people liking explore space games, but in those games you explore space and it has gameplay reflecting that desire. Starfield is a BGS game that sacrificed a lot of what make those games good in order to do a bunch of other stuff ( space exploration ) poorly. Skyrim was great because it was a designed world. I would not have fond memories of walking around proc-gen or clone dungeons randomly spawned every acre.

I don't think Bethesda knows why people like their games. Maybe because they always see people buying/playing their games so it's just "we've got this, our ideas are clearly good" groupthink from on high?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outer Worlds flaw was being too bland and too easy. If the sequel has a tenth the flavour of Deadfire or New Vegas it will be an improvement.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

I don't think Bethesda knows why people like their games. Maybe because they always see people buying/playing their games so it's just "we've got this, our ideas are clearly good" groupthink from on high?

I eould imagine they have some inkling why, given that they've made Morrowind, Oblivion, FO3, Skyrim, FO4 and FO76 in the same formula.

I suspect they had similar intentions for Starfield.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Having 10 unconnected cells across a solar system as a "interplanetary Skyrim" would be legit worse even if there would be a fully playable space part to connect each other.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I put 300-400 hours into Elite Dangerous and really enjoyed it, it stuck with me. I feel like I had a part time job as a spaceship captain. This was back in 2014-2015 so before you had VR or could walk around. They had just added a lovely rover you could use to blow up turrets and hack bases and look for rocks.

I thought Starfield would recapture that but the space combat and space exploration is worse for reasons I can’t fully articulate. Which is disappointing because they had nearly a decade to copy it or improve upon it.

I do think Starfield would have been absolutely miserable if every single quest required you to do a full docking bay landing like Elite Dangerous. But think about this - there’s a not a single element of Starfield that remotely checks your piloting ability. I understand that they want to make it very accessible and that you can take a freighter with two guns to the end game, but you really never get that rush of pulling off a perfect landing or an awesome maneuver. And I never even got into the super advanced Elite maneuvers where you turn on pure inertial flight controls.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean, Mass Effect has a similarly limited set of locations and doesn't feel confined. Oddly. BSG went with the "Nasapunk" aesthetic but didn't say "yeah there's only a few Goldilocks zones planets, so this is our Biggest Game Yet, twice the size of Skyrim collectively and divided across a half dozen biomes, all of it hand crafted".

Like, imagine if that mech graveyard hadn't been a one hour theme park you visit with the UC Quest line and more like something nore like an entire Hold in. Skyrim, where you'll wander through there with lots of characters for lota of reasons.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I don't think BGS should emulate Mass Effect of all things (even though they always do), in fact the idea behind Starfield sounds like the original plan behind Mass Effect with it being an open exploration game with dynamically created planets. I assume Starfield fell to the same issues as Mass Effect.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

If only it was possible to learn from the mistakes someone else did first.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Flowing Thot posted:

If only it was possible to learn from the mistakes someone else did first.

Game studios don't learn from their own mistakes and they especially don't learn from others, as a rule

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Tiny Timbs posted:

Game studios don't learn from their own mistakes and they especially don't learn from others, as a rule

Hey let's be honest, this doesn't just apply to game studios. Someday I will learn from my own mistakes.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Flowing Thot posted:

Someday I will learn from my own mistakes.

That's good material, ever thought about doing comedy?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Macichne Leainig posted:

That's good material, ever thought about doing comedy?

Too busy trying to master making snarky replies.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I feel like if they had made a few variations of each POI, with different furniture and item placement, text on computers etc, that would go a long way to improving exploration. It’s so disappointing when you get to your second one of the same type and it’s exactly the same.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Good news everyone!

Today I confirmed that Vulture's Roost does in fact reset completely at some point, which includes all the contraband.

I didn't steal the ship previously which is why I think that it was the only thing that didn't reset, otherwise I think there would have also been some contraband on it as well.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lollerich posted:

Good news everyone!

Today I confirmed that Vulture's Roost does in fact reset completely at some point, which includes all the contraband.

I didn't steal the ship previously which is why I think that it was the only thing that didn't reset, otherwise I think there would have also been some contraband on it as well.

That ship is great, it became my go-to pirate ship last play through. It's already relatively tall, so it doesn't take much messing around to fit a C class reactor in there with a couple habs that bump your crew count up, and there's some spots you can put cargo holds without making it look too weird. This time, I got a bonus Longsword that landed a few hundred meters away too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Inspector Hound posted:

That ship is great, it became my go-to pirate ship last play through. It's already relatively tall, so it doesn't take much messing around to fit a C class reactor in there with a couple habs that bump your crew count up, and there's some spots you can put cargo holds without making it look too weird. This time, I got a bonus Longsword that landed a few hundred meters away too.

I stole that piece of poo poo after flying out there in a pimped out Stiletto with 400 fuel and had to limp back to The Den to offload the contraband one system at a time.

Never again

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

I stole that piece of poo poo after flying out there in a pimped out Stiletto with 400 fuel and had to limp back to The Den to offload the contraband one system at a time.

Never again

Well I got there with the basic Razorleaf so it was impressive to me! I basically figured out the ship builder on that and a varuun ship; by the end I had made it 50% longer and attached two more landing gear, swung the bay around to a better spot, made the jump range ridiculous, and it could burn through a ship's shields and disable their engines close enough to immediately that I was happy with it. Definitely not as bad as the time I captured a ship with no range at all and stranded myself in the middle of nowhere.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even if you're out of range, you should be able to fast-travel to a POI you've been to before like New Atlantis.

The whole ship range mechanic is so loving stupid and not even half-baked.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

Meh, I've already built myself the best ship money can build. I only tend to pick up the ships that you get from quests.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Even if you're out of range, you should be able to fast-travel to a POI you've been to before like New Atlantis.

There is a fuckton of contraband in Vulture's Roost, good luck fast traveling to New Atlantis with that.

I just keep and horde all the contraband at my base though out of principal. I should tally that up at some point, must be in the millions by now.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Contraband just never felt worth the bother, especially with the janky "economy" of nobody having enough credits to make it worthwhile. I beat the scan one time and got some cheevo for it and I think I loaded up a bunch at that roost place (I found that randomly) but not since. It's like, why bother? I can fill the hold with weapons and armor that's worth more and I can sell them anywhere.

It would be nice if at least the interstellar trading company that's at every space port would just have unlimited buying power instead of 2000 credits. I keep selling what I can to who I can and buying up ammo but it's like, I've been using the same gun forever...same space suit and helmet...just never any reasons to change. People were talking about Outer Worlds and that game was similar in that once I had a tricked out space shotgun I never used any other weapons.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lollerich posted:

There is a fuckton of contraband in Vulture's Roost, good luck fast traveling to New Atlantis with that.

That was the thing, they actually disabled fast travel to POIs if you have contraband in inventory, so that little trick didn't work.

Barometer posted:

Contraband just never felt worth the bother, especially with the janky "economy" of nobody having enough credits to make it worthwhile. I beat the scan one time and got some cheevo for it and I think I loaded up a bunch at that roost place (I found that randomly) but not since. It's like, why bother? I can fill the hold with weapons and armor that's worth more and I can sell them anywhere.

It would be nice if at least the interstellar trading company that's at every space port would just have unlimited buying power instead of 2000 credits. I keep selling what I can to who I can and buying up ammo but it's like, I've been using the same gun forever...same space suit and helmet...just never any reasons to change. People were talking about Outer Worlds and that game was similar in that once I had a tricked out space shotgun I never used any other weapons.

My solution to the economy issue with the Vulture's Roost contraband was to buy all the available ammo at the Den, then sell him all the contraband, then go and sell the ammo at every other vendor in known space. Kinda funny as a one-off gimmick, absolutely a waste of time.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
The bartender at the Red Mile will also buy contraband, obviously no orbital scans are involved

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

I built displays for every type of contraband and keep the rest in contraband chests (6 of them)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

contraband would be worth it if a gun dropped by dead space raider #42069 didn't sell for way more

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah it's odd how fast travel ignores the ship range completely.

I had a funny situation where I fast travelled to my outpost, but literally couldn't leave because earlier I had changed something on my ship that reduced the range too much to get to the next nearest system.

So the only way to get out of it was to fast travel to The Lodge, even though that would be impossible by regular means. :laugh:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well the adoring fan rules. he never whines about poo poo and it's funny when he gets shot

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

hawowanlawow posted:

well the adoring fan rules. he never whines about poo poo and it's funny when he gets shot
i bet from the beginning the devs thought he would be the most annoying thing in the game, and then they wrote the main plot companions really strangely and made them complain about everything you do :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

1glitch0 posted:

Outer Worlds was right.
Eh, OW wasn't great, but it had it's heights. I did 3 playthroughs, one of which was a "noone left behind"-run aka "if i leave a place, there'll be no living NPC alive".
The game actualy appreciated this by questgivers going "i wanted you to clear out that town, but uh... you kinda did already?".

While it underdelivered, it still was ages away from "everything is procgen, everything is empty".

I'm keeping track of this thread here though, hoping for some kind of turnaround.