Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (June 15-18, 2004)

Oh, hey Ralph.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (June 21-23, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (June 23-28, 2004)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

“Clotted Crime” is the name of Mrs Clovis’ favourite TV show and was dealt with, at considerable length, in the four-part story of the same name.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (June 29-July 2, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (July 5-9, 2004)

Five strips today and tomorrow for pacing reasons (and so we can get through this horrible awful font sooner).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I know that a lot of readers have been worried about what has been going on with Reverend Penrose while Billie and Maggie dealt with issues upstairs. As you can see, there was absolutely nothing to worry about.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (July 9-14, 2004)

First appearance: The Devil. Yeah, that Devil. He'll be around a bit.

foreshadowing~

And thus ends this arc of SGR! We'll be back in three weeks tomorrow with a new arc, and a return to both more panels per strip and an actually readable font.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I guess this version doesn't have the strip where Rachel murders Will with her devil powers, presumably in order to explain why he never appears again.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Rand Brittain posted:

I guess this version doesn't have the strip where Rachel murders Will with her devil powers, presumably in order to explain why he never appears again.

Yeah, here are the corresponding pages from the collected edition Skellington:

The collected edition also doesn't have the pages with Shelley telling Amy about the "dreams" she had in her "coma" or the one with Natalie and the demon-horse-thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Huh! I had no idea about those differences. Neat, thanks for posting them!

John Allison posted:

Following the abject failure of my "movey-mind" experiments, I drew a few weeks of comics with pen and paper rather than my usual computerised technique. These etchings can of course be found on the scarygoround.com internet web-site. During that story, Shelley and Amy enjoyed a restorative visit to Cuba and encountered a large, angry green owl. [ed note: I have no idea where these are, I can't find them]

After a tale of such moment, what was I to do? It's not easy to top the antics of an irate discoloured bird in a communist stronghold. So I retooled my operation and decided to look the heart of darkness straight in the eye.

What followed was the story you're about to read. I regret to inform you that it features some of the least potent examples of shouting, drug-taking and physical violence ever recorded on the printed page.

And, at one point, there is a strong allusion to the making of "the beast with two backs". I'm sorry. If you're unfamiliar with the "death metal" genre from which Dethspasm hail, try to imagine a song that is played as loud as possible, as fast as possible, for ten seconds. The lyric may concern the immediate aftermath of a biological attack/nuclear fallout. That lyric will be delivered in a voice some- where between a growl and a death rattle. Usually by a man from Leeds.

If you're unfamiliar with Leeds, it's a city in West Yorkshire. Why not take in the Merrion Centre, Leeds City Station, or take a bus out to Otley and visit a garden centre?

When you've quite finished enjoying yourself in Leeds (and Otley), feel free to note that this story introduces many new characters, including The Boy, a slight figure full of youthful fire. Note well this curly individual. I only drew him to fill the corner of the second comic, but by early 2005 people were emailing me and asking me to gild his image in bronze. Of course, I refused. That's not what it's about.

Scary Go Round (August 13-17, 2004)

First appearances: Ernest Cromerty, experienced sailor and nautical adventurer, and The Boy, occasional punching bag and mad science assistant to Tim.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

John Allison posted:

Following the abject failure of my "movey-mind" experiments, I drew a few weeks of comics with pen and paper rather than my usual computerised technique. These etchings can of course be found on the scarygoround.com internet web-site. During that story, Shelley and Amy enjoyed a restorative visit to Cuba and encountered a large, angry green owl. [ed note: I have no idea where these are, I can't find them]

The comics with Shelley and Amy in Cuba were part of Allison's Scareodeleria comics, which ran co-currently with Scary-Go-Round during the first few years, roughly from 2003 to 2005. The main point of Scareodeleria was a way for Allison to practice his pen-and-paper drawing skills while he was working on Scary-Go-Round, so he only drew about 40 pages worth of material. I think I got all of the pages via the Wayback Machine / Internet Archive, so I might post the story with Shelley and Amy in Cuba here (I also posted some of the comic in the Newspaper Comic thread while there was a break in Steeple). If you are interested I can DM a link to the full Scareodeleria collection.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

So here are the Scareodeleria comics that feature Shelley and Amy on their trip to Cuba. There are 14 pages in total so I'll probably post two or three a day.

Scareodeleria July 19/20, 2004

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The_Other posted:

So here are the Scareodeleria comics that feature Shelley and Amy on their trip to Cuba. There are 14 pages in total so I'll probably post two or three a day.

I actually had never seen those before, so yay! It's much appreciated.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Thanks Shelley and John for the mental image of that custard donut.

Numero6 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 7, 2023

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

fairly straightforward thing to call a Boston cream donut if your country lacks the concept of Boston

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Creme-filled? More like Neutrophil'd.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I can't remember the last time I saw those! Thanks for posting them :)

Scary Go Round (August 18-20, 2004)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

It is fair to say that you shouldn’t leave Reverend Penrose alone with witches, and you definitely shouldn’t leave him alone with the UK’s premier podcasting witches because this is what will always happen. He just doesn’t know what to do and ends up in an awful quandary.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Brian!! :ohdear:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Brian!! :swoon:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (August 23-25, 2004)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Scareodeleria July 21-22, 2004

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Scareodeleria July 23/26, 2004

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (August 26-30, 2004)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I’m not sure that the Reverend has ever been happy to see Brian and given his current mental state, he’s probably not sure what he’s seeing, but I’m sure his thanks will eventually be noted. Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 11, 2023

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Scareodeleria July 27-28, 2004, possible foreshadowing of Shelley's career as an author of children's picture books.

Also from John Allison's Instagram

John Allison posted:

Sketch for unused 2023 story “Dead and Breakfast”

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (August 31-September 2, 2004)

First appearance: Milford, The Boy's weird but endearing best friend.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I like that so far, the salacious witches are just giving the Rev a regular old massage. Gotta get those knots out!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Scareodeleria July 29/30, 2004 in which we finally see the "Space Owl". Do you think Allison has a case against Duolingo for plagiarism?

Also again from Allison's Instagram.

quote:

There's an awful rumour around here that the follow up to KIT + THE WOLF is going to be a Conan the Barbarian comic called CONAN AND THE BLOOD EGG featuring some of your favourite characters in new and baffling Cimmerian roles. Chances of this happening: currently >88%.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (September 3-7, 2004)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The inking on Scareodeleria looks really good, I've never liked the same colour outlines on SGR

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

The inking on Scareodeleria looks really good, I've never liked the same colour outlines on SGR

Yeah, Allison spent a good bit of time in the background refining his hand-drawn art. We get it for SGR starting in June 2006 (right in the middle of an arc, rather jarringly) and it stays that way and gets continuously refined for the rest of the run, at which point it's the same style that Bad Machinery starts in.

Scary Go Round (September 8-10, 2004)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Scareodeleria August 2/5, 2004

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

I’ve got some Brut video for you today. Now here’s a Britain lost to the ages. It was a toss-up between Barry Sheene and Kevin Keegan’s appearances but this one was a lot less likely to end with the guest sportsman and Cooper kissing in a shower. Barry is putting a lot of Brut on. Thank goodness he’s got such a big bottle. Just amazing.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Scareodeleria November 15-16, 2004 (It looks like Allison took a few months before finishing this story)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (September 13-15, 2004)

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I thought for a sec it was Brian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Numero6 posted:

I thought for a sec it was Brian.

Wouldn't be surprised to learn they were friends.