Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I dislike the volume of animal violence in pt 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Meowy will have gotten the dogs out because Meowy will be revealed to have also drank some of Power’s blood and will have managed to reincarnate Power the Blood Devil.

Also I really did not care for Denji stepping on that crow.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Despite how horrible everything is there is a bit of funny satire here. Barem went through all these overly complicated plans trying to psychologically manipulate Denji into embracing ultra-violence and absolutely none of them worked. Only to fall back on the most simplistic idea of “What if I just murder his dog?” And it works and Denji is ready to rip&tear.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah, Barem Greyjoy Tarasov is getting fuckin' eaten.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Does Barem know about Nayuta? Because he might have made a completely different Devil ready to rip and tear than he intended.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Denji's never allowed to be happy, is he?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nuebot posted:

Pochita's just giving Denji a glimpse of what his life could have been like had he lived, in the fleeting moments before the spark goes out of his eyes when he was chopped up back in that dumpster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Denji was happy once.

It was terrible.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Movies, the school, home with power and Aki, before he made his wish on his birthday, being praised for killing the cockroach, stealing money at the aquarium, karaoke...

He's just not allowed to be happy for long.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

At least power got her cat back

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
One detail I saw elsewhere was that Denji bought that apartment with the money that Aki left him. So that's one connection to a dead loved one confirmed gone. :smith:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

One detail I saw elsewhere was that Denji bought that apartment with the money that Aki left him. So that's one connection to a dead loved one confirmed gone. :smith:

denji bought a whole-rear end house with aki's inheritance, at some point he changed addresses

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

denji bought a whole-rear end house with aki's inheritance, at some point he changed addresses

they moved to a better district. someone's gotta think about Nayuta's education

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Chainsaw man: I see now why he chainsaws his own brains

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Neo_Crimson posted:

I hope the Insurance Devil has not been erased for Denji's sake

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flair posted:

I hope the Insurance Devil has not been erased for Denji's sake

The Insurance Devil being erased would probably be better for Denji then it still being around.

"Sorry Mr. Denji, but our contract here states 'we cover Devil Attacks' and our records show that your house was actually burned down by a being which has no name because it was devoured and erased from reality, which legally speaking is not the same thing."

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm disappointed and upset, but not surprised. The way things are going, Denji will probably gently caress Barem up, but Barem will be like "Oh gently caress yes Chainsaw Man is back woo-hoo" and take the satisfaction out of it.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Killing off the doggos is a bit of an indictment on volume two, honestly. Compared to the first series, there's a real lack of supporting cast this time around. There's barely anybody who could be killed off to motivate Denji.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Squidster posted:

Killing off the doggos is a bit of an indictment on volume two, honestly. Compared to the first series, there's a real lack of supporting cast this time around. There's barely anybody who could be killed off to motivate Denji.

I blame Asa.

(Well, I blame Fujimoto's use of Asa as the protagonist here, but it's faster to just say I blame Asa.)

Some of it, of course, is just natural and not an indictment at all. Asa's been the main character for part 2 until this arc, and that means Denji is going to have less time to build up a new supporting cast to replace his friends from part 1. It's pretty much just Nayuta, Yoshida, and Fumiko right now, and Denji's level of fucks given about Fumiko and Yoshida is still pretty low.

The bigger indictment is that Asa is even lower on people to kill. And that comes in part from her nature as a protagonist.

People say Denji is passive, but he's not, really. He wants things and takes steps to get them, even when working for someone else. Just last chapter, his desire to feed the pets meant he and Nayuta left Public Safety and got to this chapter's shitstorm, and that's been true through the whole series. Denji keeps doing what he wants to do, and everyone else has to either adapt to make use of him, or get completely blindsided. (Makima did both.)

Asa, meanwhile, is passive. She often just sits curled up unless someone forces her into action. Now, that's a very human reaction to the endless madness that is her life, and she's well written... but it makes her much more awkward as a lead, because she doesn't drive things forward on her own, which means more time needs to be spent on other people getting her to act (like the chapter of Fami persuading her to join the church) instead of on her interacting with people who aren't Yoru. (Well, or Yuko, but she's kinda dead.)

Actually, that leads into another reason Asa is a cause of the difficulties here. Fujimoto has been setting things up to look like Denji and Asa's connection is key to the story... but Asa's personality and Denji's don't go together easily. Which means giving Denji more connections would undermine the Asa relationship, since Denji could shrug and hang out with his actual friends instead of pining after a girl who said no-one would ever have sex with him just because he doesn't know she tried to kill him. (It also wouldn't have let him slump like this, which is the whole point of this arc. Aki and Power wouldn't let him fall this low.)

Fujimoto hasn't lost his touch, but the deliberate choices at the heart of part 2 have set things up for good and ill so that it can't do the same things part 1 did. We can hope the overall manga will be good enough to make that feel worthwhile, but it's a tradeoff, not an accident.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wow someone blaming problems on a girl boss, typical, tsk tsk

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
idk, I can’t blame anyone for not vibing with Part 2 as much as 1, but it feels silly to say that Denji only having dogs as important non-Nayuta individuals is a flaw since it’s kinda The Point that Denji is a friendless high schooler who’s put all of his effort into raising his foster kid and is living a hollow life to give Nayuta what he thinks is a good one.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

I blame Asa.

(Well, I blame Fujimoto's use of Asa as the protagonist here, but it's faster to just say I blame Asa.)

Some of it, of course, is just natural and not an indictment at all. Asa's been the main character for part 2 until this arc, and that means Denji is going to have less time to build up a new supporting cast to replace his friends from part 1. It's pretty much just Nayuta, Yoshida, and Fumiko right now, and Denji's level of fucks given about Fumiko and Yoshida is still pretty low.

The bigger indictment is that Asa is even lower on people to kill. And that comes in part from her nature as a protagonist.

People say Denji is passive, but he's not, really. He wants things and takes steps to get them, even when working for someone else. Just last chapter, his desire to feed the pets meant he and Nayuta left Public Safety and got to this chapter's shitstorm, and that's been true through the whole series. Denji keeps doing what he wants to do, and everyone else has to either adapt to make use of him, or get completely blindsided. (Makima did both.)

Asa, meanwhile, is passive. She often just sits curled up unless someone forces her into action. Now, that's a very human reaction to the endless madness that is her life, and she's well written... but it makes her much more awkward as a lead, because she doesn't drive things forward on her own, which means more time needs to be spent on other people getting her to act (like the chapter of Fami persuading her to join the church) instead of on her interacting with people who aren't Yoru. (Well, or Yuko, but she's kinda dead.)

Actually, that leads into another reason Asa is a cause of the difficulties here. Fujimoto has been setting things up to look like Denji and Asa's connection is key to the story... but Asa's personality and Denji's don't go together easily. Which means giving Denji more connections would undermine the Asa relationship, since Denji could shrug and hang out with his actual friends instead of pining after a girl who said no-one would ever have sex with him just because he doesn't know she tried to kill him. (It also wouldn't have let him slump like this, which is the whole point of this arc. Aki and Power wouldn't let him fall this low.)

Fujimoto hasn't lost his touch, but the deliberate choices at the heart of part 2 have set things up for good and ill so that it can't do the same things part 1 did. We can hope the overall manga will be good enough to make that feel worthwhile, but it's a tradeoff, not an accident.

Why are you like this

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

RevolverDivider posted:

Why are you like this

That's a pretty cogent analysis of part 2, and not really weird at all?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I think Part 2 is pretty deliberately a departure from Part 1 and I expect Part 3 to be as different from either Parts 1 or 2. Given that lens I think it's fair to look at it in terms of overall thematic consistency within each Part. Part 1 was, at least in part, about lost and broken people trying to forge connections in the face of unbelievable brutality (even if some of those connections, like Makima's, are false and advance an exploitative agenda). Part 2 shows, for the most part, the complete breakdown of even those tenuous support structures and people's inability to form new ones (like Asa + that girl who made the deal with the Justice Devil). The few structures that rise to take their place are, again, false and exploitative (the Church of Chainsaw Man), and even Denji's connection with Nayuta may be illusory. Yet at the same time, he's putting everything into it, and where Part 1 was about him seeking happiness, Part 2 has him putting it on hold, but is it because it's what he wants to do, or because he's afraid of the consequences? Which is more honest?

So if Part 1 is the thesis and Part 2 is the antithesis, I'd like to see the synthesis in Part 3.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Part 2 > Part 1

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

symbolic posted:

Part 2 > Part 1

copy
Jul 26, 2007

symbolic posted:

Part 2 > Part 1

math has proven thus

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I have a lot of faith on the author, especially given the events prior to the final incident of the chapter. Fujimoto has never let me down before (I will say I liked the Part 1 cast a tad more tho)

Jerkface posted:

That's a pretty cogent analysis of part 2, and not really weird at all?

It's more about the poster than the point in this case, I think lol

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
let Fujimoto cook

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

symbolic posted:

Part 2 > Part 1

CharlestonJew posted:

let Fujimoto cook

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

part 2 does have a much reduced supporting cast, it's true. it's also explicitly and textually about isolation and parasociality and feeling cut off from a normal life and support system. denji doesn't have no friends because the story needs to serve asa, he has no friends because we watched them all die in part 1 and kishibe pretty much forced him back into a mindset of material precarity that precluded any kind of a normal social life. this is all very clear.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Do NOT let Barem Bridge cook

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Valentin posted:

part 2 does have a much reduced supporting cast, it's true. it's also explicitly and textually about isolation and parasociality and feeling cut off from a normal life and support system. denji doesn't have no friends because the story needs to serve asa, he has no friends because we watched them all die in part 1 and kishibe pretty much forced him back into a mindset of material precarity that precluded any kind of a normal social life. this is all very clear.

yeah like this is actually pretty true to life. losing multiple friends in a traumatic situation is going to gently caress you up. in fact he made those friends because of traumatic events and since has been trying to lead the quiet life and just go to school. though he doesn't quite fit in at school because of his past and leads the life of a loner. hell we see him selling himself to make cash that he later spends on Nayuta. he's trying his best to be selfless but he's clearly torn up inside

Denji tries to have a date and he pretty much knows Nayuta is going to wreck it. which is why he doesn't want to go to his place in the first place when Asa suggests watching movies. so Denji isn't against forming relationships. he's just doing the single parent life except his child is a literal devil who would very likely start going full crazy if it weren't for Denji and he knows it. we were reminded of this fact last chapter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Do NOT let Barem Bridge cook

Sounds like he really Barem'd some Bridges with Denji!

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Chainsawman Part 2 is about the Covid-19 pandemic, in this essay i will

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
some people have made hay about denji’s near-permanent strung-out vacant expression in this part but he was sporting that face in the last two chapters of part 1 as well. losing aki, power and makima scarred him deep

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Hot dog, what a chapter

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unironically:

Denji is not someone who remotely had a sensible and healthy life. He was quite literally selling his balls for food money after he killed his own abusive father, whose death was covered up by yakuza shitwads who specifically prevented Denji from being given any sort of genuine care or treatment because they didn't want to lose money. Almost every single person he met in his life has attempted to abuse, trick or control him, including Aki and Power who both basically tried to gently caress him over the first time they really met. Even when he does form connections they get forcibly torn away from him at the behest of the biggest and worst abuser of all who specifically manipulated things so Denji would have nothing and nobody except her, and even once she died Denji was effectively left with their kid.

Even if Asa didn't exist in Part 2, there's no real indication Denji would be in a different situation except Asa appears to be the first person he genuinely has made any sort of connection with, even if we as the audience know that connection is tied to yet another person trying to control and use him. Both Asa and Denji are profoundly alone people in a way that almost nobody else in the world can truly connect with and that is important to the overall story. Denji isn't really a different person, it is just that he's still profoundly alone because as far as he is aware everyone in his life except his sister and Asa only interact with him because they want to use or hurt him.

Like lol denji wants to touch boobs funny but Denji's basic thing is that he is profoundly, desperately, incredibly needy for genuine human connection. He's a dumb horny teen, yeah, but even his dumb horniness isn't about wanting sex so much as it is about wanting someone he can actually interact with on a human level. The dude is focused on sex because as far as he's aware sex is the most intimate you can get with someone, but it's pretty noteworthy that Denji can be funnily horny but when push comes to shove sex doesn't actually seem that important to him. He doesn't care about touching boobs for the sake of touching boobs, his naked swim with Bomb mattered more to him that she was teaching him to swim, and in general he's just immensely and desperately thirsty to be able to just interact with people more than getting laid.

This is all a logical continuation of Part 1 where Denji spent the entire part basically learning that he's allowed to want things while at the same time learning that things he thinks he wants are not necessarily what he actually wants. Part 2 Denji is now trying to figure out what he actually wants. (Which, again, seems to largely be actual human connection. He frames it as "I want to be Chainsaw Man" but what he wants from that is being someone people like and want to be around. It is why Asa, despite their relatively limited time together, is important to him because as far as he's aware Asa is the singular person who has shown interest in Denji instead of Denji The Host Of Chainsaw Man.)

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Farg posted:

Hot dog, what a chapter

This should be the thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Flair posted: