Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That mousetrap gag rules, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

The Sanji joke is pretty funny in an understandable way.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

scary ghost dog posted:

if the ancient shandorans WERE skypieans it puts a really nice bow on my theory that it’s not just a colonialism allegory, but specifically a muddied up israel/palestine allegory. skypiea is the levant, upper yard is jerusalem, enel is the west

Shandians (and presumably Shandorians) have similar but slightly different wings to Skypieans. Birkans have different wings again. All three are depicted working together (or at least alongside each other) in the moon murals.

I assume they were separate tribes who banded together to migrate to the planet below, but their cultural differences led to them settling in different areas.

Still unsure how Lunarians fit into things, but I suspect it has to do with fallen angel symbolism. It feels likely they were sent to the planet before the main migration, since they aren't in the murals. My favourite wild theory is they were cast out of 'heaven' after consorting with demons (the Five Elders), and were tasked with keeping the demons from escaping confinement.

copy posted:

no sea in space. safest place in the universe for them really

Yeah, I reckon all the winged tribes have a fear of the ocean. That's why most of them live(d) on sky islands or the red line. Heck, it's probably the reason the red line was built... to be a little slice of 'endless varse'.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

I love this person’s silly little comics. I always want to see more chill crew antics.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fell completely in love with this series and have spent the last few months going through it using One Pace, then the official anime for Wano, and now I’m finally up to date on the manga.

-Until the moment he shows up in the main story again I consider the Enel cover stories non-canon, as far as I’m concerned he just suffocated and died up there.
-Some of the animation in Wano was absolutely insane and way beyond anything I’d ever expect from a weekly anime
-I’m kinda bummed Yamato didn’t join the crew, hopefully he pulls a Jinbe and comes back to join later
-Buggy is the GOAT
-The biggest flaw in this series is that it needs 400% more Nico Robin
-Gear 5 is an S-tier shounen power-up
-Poor Kuma :smith:

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 6, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m still holding out hope that Vivi, Carue, and Yamato all formally join the crew before the end of the series (the former’s got a grudge against the WG for killing her dad after all and Imu seems interested in her personally)

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Augus posted:

Strong agree, I think the reason she doesn't get as much screen time is because she probably knows a lot more than the rest of the crew because she's the only one that can read. And her powers are too strong for fights against a lot of conventional opponents because she can basically just one-hit anyone with a human sized neck.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

JahRoo posted:

And her powers are too strong for fights against a lot of conventional opponents because she can basically just one-hit anyone with a human sized neck.

This is One Piece. How often do human-sized necks even show up?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

the deep lore behind the neck tierlists significance

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Chapter?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'll be honest I don't get the last comic at all? What's the joke?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'll be honest I don't get the last comic at all? What's the joke?

They’re all big.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kart Barfunkel posted:

They’re all big.

:doh:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Augus posted:

Fell completely in love with this series and have spent the last few months going through it using One Pace, then the official anime for Wano, and now I’m finally up to date on the manga.

-Until the moment he shows up in the main story again I consider the Enel cover stories non-canon, as far as I’m concerned he just suffocated and died up there.
-Some of the animation in Wano was absolutely insane and way beyond anything I’d ever expect from a weekly anime
-I’m kinda bummed Yamato didn’t join the crew, hopefully he pulls a Jinbe and comes back to join later
-Buggy is the GOAT
-Poor Kuma :unsmith:
You have very good One Piece opinions.

Except for the thing about Enel. Enel's moon adventures own and they are real. Enel is the key to everything. Any day now he will crash into the middle of an unrelated arc with an army of robots and it will be beautiful.

But you're especially right about Robin so I'll let it go this time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Robin masters armament haki instead of fishman karate during the timeskip, snaps all the admiral’s and elder’s necks, problem solved series over

Eiba posted:

Except for the thing about Enel. Enel's moon adventures own and they are real. Enel is the key to everything. Any day now he will crash into the middle of an unrelated arc with an army of robots and it will be beautiful.

his moon adventures are good but him dying in the vacuum of space is funnier :colbert:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Everyone can breathe on the moon because they don’t know they’re not supposed to, bing bang boom next question

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Definitely can read: Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Jinbei

Probably can read, but might be limited to their specialty/trade: Franky, Brooke

Probably can't read: Zoro

Definitely can't: Luffy

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 6, 2023

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Eiba posted:

He'll crash on Long Ring, Long Land once they find the One Piece, thus beginning the last arc.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Scholtz posted:

Definitely can read: Nami, Usopp, Chopper, Robin

Probably can read, but might be limited to their specialty/trade: Sanji, Franky, Brooke, Jinbei

Zoro can read but he always has trouble following the plot

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Zoro can read but he always has trouble following the plot

He can read maps super well but is dyslexic. Really hinders his wayfinding.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Scholtz posted:

Probably can read, but might be limited to their specialty/trade: Franky, Brooke

Sanji can only read cookbooks, Brook can only read music. But these 2 and Franky can all read hentai

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sanji definitely reads corny romance novels (and also hentai)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nami can only read maps and amounts of money.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Every cover story is canon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

anyway here's my list of top OP moments that hosed me up so bad I had to take a break from watching
-Robin wanting to live
-Brook losing his crew
-Ace
-Ace again when Luffy remembers what happened
-Ace again when Sabo finds out about it
-Ace again when Yamato finds out about it
-All of Episode 1015, really
-Pudding wiping Sanji's memory
-That loving guy that dressed like a baby in Dressrosa?????

had heard going into it that this was a series that makes people cry but goddamn I was not ready

Augus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 6, 2023

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the thousand sunny has a big library where everyone has books, except luffy

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Luffy can probably understand picture books and comics

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Scholtz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNaBNycyH38&t=6s

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Eiba posted:

i think of enel going to the moon as a riff on “whitey’s on the moon” insofar as its a stupid, pointless goal, attained by a vain, pretentious colonizer…..if it turns out that him going to the moon was really important and changes the outcome of the story i will be kind of annoyed

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Didn't Luffy read about Ace in the paper on Amazon Lily? Or am I forgetting and Granny Nyon read him the article?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Every cover story is canon.

:hai:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Augus posted:

anyway here's my list of top OP moments that hosed me up so bad I had to take a break from watching
-Robin wanting to live
-Brook losing his crew
-Ace
-Ace again when Luffy remembers what happened
-Ace again when Sabo finds out about it
-Ace again when Yamato finds out about it
-All of Episode 1015, really
-Pudding wiping Sanji's memory

had heard going into it that this was a series that makes people cry but goddamn I was not ready

Look at this monster. Just kept trucking like it was nothing when Merry went to Valhalla.

Gully Foyle posted:

Didn't Luffy read about Ace in the paper on Amazon Lily? Or am I forgetting and Granny Nyon read him the article?

Luffy can definitely read. He probably even went out of his way to be real good at it. After all, not reading because you can't is a simple inability. Not reading because you don't want to? That's FREEDOM, baby.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Gyges posted:

Luffy can definitely read. He probably even went out of his way to be real good at it. After all, not reading because you can't is a simple inability. Not reading because you don't want to? That's FREEDOM, baby.

How you gonna learn to fight better if you can't read the weekly Naruto comic in One Piece?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
An SBS answered the question.

Everyone in the crew owns books except for Luffy. Zoro's is like, bounties and swords though.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The rest of the crew, Yamato and Vivi, can read too but don’t have any books on the Sunny. I wonder who ripped the page out of Oden’s journal, he found it after they ripped it out and threw the rest away I guess

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Augus posted:

honestly can't even think about Senor Pink without tearing up

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Augus posted:

-Buggy is the GOAT
-Poor Kuma :smith:

Welcome friend! Just in time to see some more liberation from the chains of the world government

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Chapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

hatty posted:

Chapter?