Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It really feels like the author and editorial had some strong disagreements about what happens to Nobara and so we end up with Schrödinger’s Nobara.

However I currently cope by convincing myself that Nobara is fine, but they had to trick Denji into thinking she is dead or out of commission because they want Sukuna to think Nobara is no longer a factor. Meanwhile she is standing by ready to drive a nail into his finger at a key moment or as the last ditch backup plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It really feels like the author and editorial had some strong disagreements about what happens to Nobara and so we end up with Schrödinger’s Nobara.

However I currently cope by convincing myself that Nobara is fine, but they had to trick Denji into thinking she is dead or out of commission because they want Sukuna to think Nobara is no longer a factor. Meanwhile she is standing by ready to drive a nail into his finger at a key moment or as the last ditch backup plan.

Wait. Denji's showing up?

I knew Fujimoto and Gege talked, but I never thought they'd have this kind of crossover. Might spoil some things for how Chainsaw Man ends since it's set, like, decades earlier, but I'm excited to see how they're going to handle this.

Of course, everyone trying to manipulate Denji shows that things are already on brand.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i think denji and yuji would get along well, but todo would not approve

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

PringleCreamEgg posted:

wouldn't we have seen her in the room then? Sukuna is out of Yuji, he can't see what they're doing

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
They might be like "oh we don't know how far Sukuna can sense better make triple-double sure and still keep her a secret" but we're getting to levels of cope never before seen.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Pierson posted:

They might be like "oh we don't know how far Sukuna can sense better make triple-double sure and still keep her a secret" but we're getting to levels of cope never before seen.

I can cope way harder than that.

She's fine, and she's gonna have a cool eyepatch and her, Yuji, and Megumi are all gonna hug and go out for milkshakes.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
And I bet Gojo will also show up to the milkshake party in a wheelchair

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the epilogue will be nobara waking up in a hospital after everyone else has already died

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

the epilogue will be nobara waking up in a hospital after everyone else has already died

Jujutsu Kaisen Part 2: Kill Sukina

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

She's dead, Jim.

Best "reappearance" I think could be stitched together, that retains narrative and importantly thematic coherence, is someone wearing Nobara's body like a glove since Cursed Techniques are engraved on the right prefrontal cortex, while it was the left side of hers which got blown up.

Pushing it further, Toji's temporary return and Geto's little rebellion against Kenjaku give us positive indication that within the jujutsu framework souls can persist past bodily death even beyond the known transformative steps that preserve them (sublimation into cursed objects/spirits), but I already struggle to believe a limited revival is even in the cards, much less a full-on one. The impression I get from Gege is that he wanted a story where ghosts are real as a core element, but without this consequently cheapening the meaning of death, hence whether there's an afterlife or a cycle of reincarnation remains ambiguous, and true revivals like Gojo's enlightenment or Yuji's deal with the devil are treated as transformative to the course of the story.

Nobara coming back just/mostly fine this late into the game just doesn't seem like it'd be the right move, and on the other hand having her be technically alive but a vegetable strikes me as so undignified I question whether her fans should really be wishing for something along those lines.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
i've realized some things are just due to gege's whims. yuji's cheek scar screams "FUTURE SIGNIFICANCE" but now i really think gege just wanted there to be a souvenir from when yuji got his face ripped off in shibuya.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Conspiratiorist posted:

She's dead, Jim.

Best "reappearance" I think could be stitched together, that retains narrative and importantly thematic coherence, is someone wearing Nobara's body like a glove since Cursed Techniques are engraved on the right prefrontal cortex, while it was the left side of hers which got blown up.

Pushing it further, Toji's temporary return and Geto's little rebellion against Kenjaku give us positive indication that within the jujutsu framework souls can persist past bodily death even beyond the known transformative steps that preserve them (sublimation into cursed objects/spirits), but I already struggle to believe a limited revival is even in the cards, much less a full-on one. The impression I get from Gege is that he wanted a story where ghosts are real as a core element, but without this consequently cheapening the meaning of death, hence whether there's an afterlife or a cycle of reincarnation remains ambiguous, and true revivals like Gojo's enlightenment or Yuji's deal with the devil are treated as transformative to the course of the story.

Nobara coming back just/mostly fine this late into the game just doesn't seem like it'd be the right move, and on the other hand having her be technically alive but a vegetable strikes me as so undignified I question whether her fans should really be wishing for something along those lines.

It ultimately doesn't matter at this point. It's been too long, the damage has been done.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

i've realized some things are just due to gege's whims. yuji's cheek scar screams "FUTURE SIGNIFICANCE" but now i really think gege just wanted there to be a souvenir from when yuji got his face ripped off in shibuya.

Don't know why, the scars are just wounds he got from the Mahito fight.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i did like the idea of Nobara returning as a cursed item or something like that. Her attunement with the soul does lend itself to that idea. Otherwise she's just kind of the example of "jujutsu sorcerers just die sometimes and they die with regret"

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Lol that I typed Denji instead of Yuji earlier.

I think they would get along

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Got me thinking about other things that have slipped through the cracks so to speak and I don't think Gojo ever asked about Nobara once. Todo - besides exiting the story post-Shibuya - never so much as appeared on-page with his mentor Yuki despite apparently getting a pretty big chunk of worldview from her, most of the cast became spectators. Feels like it's just how it is with manga sometimes, some series are rock solid to the end and others just want to get there alive.

We'll always have Kenjaku vs Takaba.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Don't know why, the scars are just wounds he got from the Mahito fight.

it's just that yuji gets his face tore up all the time, but they heal just fine.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Presumably, he hosed off after Shibuya and so he didn't receive the premium RCT treatment, only Yuki's pick me up.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Conspiratiorist posted:

She's dead, Jim.

Forgot about this scene. Wonder what the whole point of the healing dude was then. He did not manage to safe her, so was his only contribution getting Yuji back in the fight?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

rkd_ posted:

Forgot about this scene. Wonder what the whole point of the healing dude was then. He did not manage to safe her, so was his only contribution getting Yuji back in the fight?

Cut down on death threats sent to the office.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

She's dead, Jim.

That scene pretty explicitly has him assuming she is dead with no direct confirmation. It is one of the scenes people point to as suspicious because nobody tells Yuji anything, he just makes an assumption based off the lack of response.

Like it is up in the air but there is no point where anyone flat out confirms it, just Yuji making assumptions based on non-information.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 11, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheHan posted:

it's just that yuji gets his face tore up all the time, but they heal just fine.

The only other time he was notable tore up face wise was during the Choso fight, but Sukuna healed him after that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Every scene that her possible death is talked about it's always with a confirmation that maybe she won't die or that where no one actually says anything concrete one way or another.

Now we can either assume the author isn't actually writing any foreshadowing or set up and this is nothing or we can assume that this series where deaths come fast and brutally and unambiguously in every other instance is maybe doing something with the one death it's waffling about with.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

She died with so much regret she came back as a cursed spirit and had to be killed again but no one wants to tell yuji that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every scene that her possible death is talked about it's always with a confirmation that maybe she won't die or that where no one actually says anything concrete one way or another.

Now we can either assume the author isn't actually writing any foreshadowing or set up and this is nothing or we can assume that this series where deaths come fast and brutally and unambiguously in every other instance is maybe doing something with the one death it's waffling about with.

Yeah, for good or ill, it's pretty drat clear when people are dead. The other death people are waffling about (Gojo) is more due to the way it was presented and the fact that Gojo is so hilariously overpowered that someone can confirm he is dead and he comes back somehow, but even in his case we saw his trip to the afterlife, he's split in two, and everyone is going "motherfucker is dead." She's basically the one character who got a weird "Oh! I can see her parachute!"

And while her parachute could still have caught fire on the way down, it will just be a rather weird quirk of writing if it turns out that no she is just plain dead and for some reason they hinted otherwise and avoided any form of hard confirmation and it never gets brought up.

Hell, it could get brought up in the current arc where Sukina is going up against the Judge considering the theoretical reason for her death was to break Yuji so Sukina could take over.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

No, Mahito explicitly wanted Yuji dead dead, and killing Nobara in front of him was just to try and break his spirit first, for fun and profit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

No, Mahito explicitly wanted Yuji dead dead, and killing Nobara in front of him was just to try and break his spirit first, for fun and profit.

Oh, huh. I misremembered then. Oh well! There goes my dream of Nobara showing up with a judge's gavel.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

And while her parachute could still have caught fire on the way down, it will just be a rather weird quirk of writing if it turns out that no she is just plain dead and for some reason they hinted otherwise and avoided any form of hard confirmation and it never gets brought up.

Gege probably just wanted to leave the door open for Nobara to come back if he decided he wanted to bring her back, and then that didn't happen.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has Todo been acknowledged at all post Shibuya? Like even in a one off panel I'm forgetting?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has Todo been acknowledged at all post Shibuya? Like even in a one off panel I'm forgetting?

I don't recall any mentions TBH. I know there was an interview which said "Todo’s spirit was broken by Mahito" as explanation for his total absence.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

I don't recall any mentions TBH. I know there was an interview which said "Todo’s spirit was broken by Mahito" as explanation for his total absence.

Well if anything would piss me off more than any other problem in this manga this would be it lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He really said that? Todo doing his one armed boogie woogie fake out does not look like someone with a broken spirit.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'd genuinely just assumed that activating his ability off Mahito wrecked not just his CT but also his usage of cursed energy in general.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

I hope to god this was a mistranslation or just Gege loving with the interviewer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

I hope to god this was a mistranslation or just Gege loving with the interviewer

So I realized I was going off something I read and tried to find the original interview, and looks like I was going off wrong info there.

It's actually "Todo appeared before Yuji, whose spirit had been broken" not "Todo's spirit had been broken."

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Todo is clearly all right after Shibuya

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

So I realized I was going off something I read and tried to find the original interview, and looks like I was going off wrong info there.

It's actually "Todo appeared before Yuji, whose spirit had been broken" not "Todo's spirit had been broken."

Oh thank God

Anyway Todo can't help until Takada is done touring.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

He's clearly alive, but his CT is gone* and we don't know however else getting partially slapped twice by Mahito's technique hosed him up; that's direct damage to the soul so it's not something one can recover from with RCT treatment.

That said, Gege has been on a largely foreboding streak for a long while now, which Todo simply doesn't fit in as he's a shining ray of hope who can only show up to make everything better. If/when he finally reappears I imagine it'd be to signal things are truly turning around.

*His activation method for Boogie Woogie is gone, but mastery of jujutsu is the art of subtraction.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Todo seems like the kinda guy who would have his soul altered by the split second touch of Mahito, frying his cursed technique, but then discover whatever new cursed technique would arise from that soul transfiguration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Todo's just been waiting for his replica Takaba plastic hand to come in the mail so he can use it to activate Boogie Woogie