Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I thought the salmon had a weird color but you can't trust me at all for when to not eat something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Soul Dentist posted:

I thought the salmon had a weird color but you can't trust me at all for when to not eat something

Yeah, it had this weird orange tint along the thin edges. I did some Googling, and apparently it can be caused by both freezer burn and by spoilage. Since it also smelled off, I figured best not to risk it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Annath posted:

Yeah, it had this weird orange tint along the thin edges. I did some Googling, and apparently it can be caused by both freezer burn and by spoilage. Since it also smelled off, I figured best not to risk it.

This is good practice in general when it comes to food safety :v:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The orange was probably freezer burned. The fat can oxidize and smell rancid, but I don’t think it will make you sick, it just tastes bad.

Racing Stripe posted:

Stuff stays fresher longer at 33 than at 37?
Yes, stuff like meat and fish lasts longer for sure. The downside is that fragile produce will be wrecked if it freezes, so you’re walking a tightrope.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Qubee posted:

Anyone got a tried and true hummus recipe that you are just crazy for? I've got some chickpeas soaking overnight and I want to make fresh hummus tomorrow but I've never done it before. I've got tahini, lemons, garlic, and I'll have the chickpeas cooked tomorrow. I'm also going to start making bread fresh every other day to avoid the excessive and absolutely ridiculous levels of salt bread companies put in their stuff.
2/3 cup dry chickpeas
.5 cups tahini
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 tsp salt

Soak chickpeas overnight and then cook until very soft. Drain, reserving cooking water. Blend in food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and blend again in food processor until smooth. Add reserved water as needed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you can remove the hulls off the chickpeas the end product will taste better and have a smoother texture ime

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

My friend once suggested adding ice water during the final stage and it greatly improves the texture IME

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Add a teaspoon or so of baking soda to the water you cook the chickpeas in. Makes the skins slide off super easily. Everything above is excellent advice.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

alnilam posted:

My friend once suggested adding ice water during the final stage and it greatly improves the texture IME

I always add 4-6 ice cubes, one at a time during the blending process and definitely think it makes a big difference.

Also removing the shells makes a noticeable difference in the texture. It's a bit of a pain but worth it.

If you have a super powerful blender then you can probably get away with not doing either.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

2/3 cup dry chickpeas
.5 cups tahini
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 tsp salt

Soak chickpeas overnight and then cook until very soft. Drain, reserving cooking water. Blend in food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and blend again in food processor until smooth. Add reserved water as needed.

Pretty close to our recipe, but we also add olive oil and more lemon proportionally.

We do bigger batches, though, cause we eat a lot of hummus. Like, we start with two pounds of chickpeas usually.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I do the baking soda and water thing, overcook the chickpeas and then put them in a blender while they're still warm, adding some cooking water as needed. Super creamy this way.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I am participating in a $25-$50 Secret Santa with family, and the person I rolled is interested in an electric kettle. I believe it would be used for both teas and coffees, and I know they regularly travel between the US and Australia. I am in the USA.
Any recommendations for something I could get for him? Or is this basically a "just get whatever, they're all about equally effective and equally likely/unlikely to catch fire at that price range" thing?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ElegantFugue posted:

I am participating in a $25-$50 Secret Santa with family, and the person I rolled is interested in an electric kettle. I believe it would be used for both teas and coffees, and I know they regularly travel between the US and Australia. I am in the USA.
Any recommendations for something I could get for him? Or is this basically a "just get whatever, they're all about equally effective and equally likely/unlikely to catch fire at that price range" thing?
In that range I think they're probably all about the same

For tea theoretically one thing that might be advantageous is one of the ones that have multiple temperatures but I think those tend to be more like $80-$100 (and it's not essential anyway)

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I have a leg of lamb I want to turn into a lamb and fennel ragu with rigatoni, I can't decide if I want to run it through the meat grinder or do it in big chunks until it's fall apart tender. I'm leaning towards chunks but I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on the matter. Does it even really matter other than the change in texture?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

mystes posted:

In that range I think they're probably all about the same

For tea theoretically one thing that might be advantageous is one of the ones that have multiple temperatures but I think those tend to be more like $80-$100 (and it's not essential anyway)

But a standard kettle and laminate them a “best if brewed at” card. Then they can figure their specific kettle cool down times for things like herbals/whites/greens.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

I have a leg of lamb I want to turn into a lamb and fennel ragu with rigatoni, I can't decide if I want to run it through the meat grinder or do it in big chunks until it's fall apart tender. I'm leaning towards chunks but I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts on the matter. Does it even really matter other than the change in texture?

Big fan of chunks with wide, fresh pasta, but ground might be better with rigatoni

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think either way is good

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I just made hummus fresh for the first time in my life. Not only was it stupid easy, it should be criminal for it to taste as good as it does for the sheer lack of effort required. Better yet, it doesn't start causing my mouth to burn like store-bought hummus does (I've never figured out why this happens).

I messed with the ratios a bit, turns out I'm a bit of a garlic fiend. I also bumped up the lemon juice, 2 tbsp wasn't near enough for me. Ended up using close to 6 tbsp of lemon juice. It's such a nice feeling knowing everything that's gone in to the dish, so I don't have to worry about unhealthy nonsense.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Qubee posted:

So I just made hummus fresh for the first time in my life. Not only was it stupid easy, it should be criminal for it to taste as good as it does for the sheer lack of effort required. Better yet, it doesn't start causing my mouth to burn like store-bought hummus does (I've never figured out why this happens).

I messed with the ratios a bit, turns out I'm a bit of a garlic fiend. I also bumped up the lemon juice, 2 tbsp wasn't near enough for me. Ended up using close to 6 tbsp of lemon juice. It's such a nice feeling knowing everything that's gone in to the dish, so I don't have to worry about unhealthy nonsense.

Hell yeah.

I felt the same way after I made my first batch from dry beans. I was all “wait thats it?” no business being that good for that cheap/little effort.

I can’t always get a good source of tahini and or it goes off before I get around to using it. I’ve found that using a little natural peanut butter and a little bit of sesame oil works out to be a very, very close substitute especially if you’re going to add a lot of garlic, lemon, and or roasted red pepper, etc.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Qubee posted:

Unexplained mouth burning can be a sign that you have an unidentified food allergy. There are dozens of stories about people who thought other people ate ${food} despite or because of the burning sensation and were shocked to discover other people don't have that. My own kid had to go to college to discover that nobody else thought apples burned.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

May also just be acidity, they probably make commercial hummus pretty acidic to make it keep longer.

Dec 10, 2023

quote:

why provide anything?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I just remodeled my kitchen and put away all my baking supplies in a cabinet that is now sitting directly over a HVAC vent. The bottom shelf is all different containers of flour, corn meal, bread crumbs, etc. It's winter, the heat is on. I pulled some flour out to make pie crust and it felt a little warm. Stuck my thermometer into the middle and it's 78F.

How concerned should I be about this? Not at all? Just try and use up all the flour within X weeks/months? Find a better place to store perishables?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Sirotan posted:

I just remodeled my kitchen and put away all my baking supplies in a cabinet that is now sitting directly over a HVAC vent. The bottom shelf is all different containers of flour, corn meal, bread crumbs, etc. It's winter, the heat is on. I pulled some flour out to make pie crust and it felt a little warm. Stuck my thermometer into the middle and it's 78F.

How concerned should I be about this? Not at all? Just try and use up all the flour within X weeks/months? Find a better place to store perishables?

Just to be clear, it's 78F in your cabinet? It's not that warm anywhere in my house, with the heat on. I'd say it's a little concerning.

The basic fix might be to have a secondary little shelf just as a buffer between the bottom of the cabinet and the baking supplies. A spare cooling rack might be enough. If possible maybe store cookware/bake ware on the bottom shelf instead.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also would rearrange so that cabinet is storing pots and pans instead of any kind of food. Everything's going to go off faster when stored at higher temperature like that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

CzarChasm posted:

Just to be clear, it's 78F in your cabinet? It's not that warm anywhere in my house, with the heat on. I'd say it's a little concerning.

The basic fix might be to have a secondary little shelf just as a buffer between the bottom of the cabinet and the baking supplies. A spare cooling rack might be enough. If possible maybe store cookware/bake ware on the bottom shelf instead.

The center of the container of flour was clocking in at 78F. Some brown sugar on the shelf above it was reading 75F. Bottom shelf is 4" above the heating vent where air is coming out at [some temp greatly above the 71 degrees I've set the thermostat to]F when the furnace cycles on.

It's kind of an awkward sized cabinet that not a lot else can fit in which is why the baking supplies are in it now. I'll find a new place for it all to live if I have to, I'm just not sure it's actually something I need to care about? If "room temp" is generally considered 72F, does storing things at 6 degrees above "room temp" make any appreciable difference?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think it depends how fast you're going through it. It's not going to make your flour rot in a week or something, but higher temperature is going to reduce shelf life. If you're using it up in a few months I wouldn't worry about it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bread bugs are logarithmic every 10 degrees so I'd say your flour may have lost a few weeks?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I know that "plenty of people get away with it just fine" is never a great basis for advice on food/health safety, because danger lies in the margins, but... you're talking about stuff people generally call non-perishable and 78 F is a perfectly habitable human temperature that plenty of people and their associated pantry goods experience in their houses all summer long. Where I used to live I'm pretty sure my house never dipped below 78 for months at a time. Unless you are storing these things for multiple years it should not even enter your list of worries.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Sirotan, do you have vertical clearance to stack up some styrofoam or something as insulation?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I have a hankering for a baked confection of some kind involving chocolate and cherries. Preferably dark chocolate.

I've never baked anything more complicated than a boxed brownie mix, but I'm a grown man in my 30s dammit, I can do this!

Any recipe suggestions? Brownies or cookies though, not looking for a cake.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Sorry this isn’t a recipe suggestion, but you may want to look around for something like Black Forest brownies or something like that. Black Forest cake is a common one with chocolate and cherries, probably someone out there has made a good recipe for brownies.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Scientastic posted:

I know this is not what you asked, but this sauce would be greatly improved (in my opinion) by using a different vinegar

Doom Rooster posted:

Screaming out for some Chinese black vinegar.

DekeThornton posted:

If you can't find black vinegar (thouh if you have any asian grocer where you live they should have it) any common vinegar that is less sweet than balsamic is worth trying. Sherry vinegar is really nice, although more expensive than normal white or red wine vinegar.

The great thing about vinegar in general is that it genuinely lasts pretty much forever, so no worries about it going bad before you use it up. Buy all the vinegars. Also, I'll try that sauce next time I make chicken.

i did exactly this and it worked great! thank you

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Looking to get a gift for a friend for Christmas, specifically snacks. Usually I'd get a nice box of chocolate, but this person doesn't particularly like sweet snacks, and prefers savory. Does anyone have suggestions for a savory snack package they recommend, preferably in one big bundle, that won't require any assembly on my part? Basically a "box of chocolates" equivalent of salty/savory foods is what I'm looking for. Something high quality, looking to spend around $50-$100. They are lactose intolerant, so no cheeses unfortunately.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 11, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Verisimilidude posted:

Looking to get a gift for a friend for Christmas, specifically snacks. Usually I'd get a nice box of chocolate, but this person doesn't particularly like sweet snacks, and prefers savory. Does anyone have suggestions for a savory snack package they recommend, preferably in one big bundle, that won't require any assembly on my part? Basically a "box of chocolates" equivalent of salty/savory foods is what I'm looking for. Something high quality, looking to spend around $50-$100. They are lactose intolerant, so no cheeses unfortunately.

Do they like nuts? Maybe a custom nut assortment like this?
https://nuts.com/custom/trays/?code=16q17816i176177

You can pick out a bunch of nuts/snacks in the large option for about $100. Click on Nuts or Snacks on the left to see (mostly) non-sweet options.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Verisimilidude posted:

There are various charcuterie and beef jerky clubs out there. I haven't used any and thus can't suggest a specific one, but I'm sure at least a few of them will have gift options rather than subscriptions as well. Also, there's D'Artagnon Foods, a general gourmet purveyor. I've linked to their gifts page, plenty of options there.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

There’s a goon in SA Mart that sells the best beef jerky I’ve ever had. Tons of flavors, so you could put together a nice little tasting package if that sounds up the recipient’s alley.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

e: had this tab open a while and people have been way more useful!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I an going here tonight and I am obviously getting the Purple Rain Cocktail and the hummus, but what do I get as my main? I'm in hardcore decision paralysis. Help please.

https://www.journeyman.com/unionhall/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Desert Bus posted:

I an going here tonight and I am obviously getting the Purple Rain Cocktail and the hummus, but what do I get as my main? I'm in hardcore decision paralysis. Help please.

https://www.journeyman.com/unionhall/

Half chicken or pork confit would be my first choices. There are no bad options, however.