Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

PriorMarcus posted:

Can anyone recommend a book to me that's has a plausible but fun exploration of alien life in it? I was thinking Children of Time (not actually aliens, I know) but how propulsive is it? Is it quite a slow read?

Also, anything where aliens learn of and interact with our world?

I thought Children of Time had great pacing when I read it

zoux posted:

Children of Time is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is it as propulsive as the medieval Jack Reacher vampire knight novel series I'm reading? No, nothing is.

I think the secret to pacing is "cut out all the chapters where your characters are travelling somewhere. Just say they went there."

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Rubicon, recommended by someone in this thread.

I thought it was…fine? Up until the end I would have said good, but the ending really soured me on it.

It was disappointing that the whole thing led back to West. It made the plot and the threat feel smaller, in a way. Also, obviously, the rezone and suddenly she is West now? Total bullshit, did not like.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I finished up the last two released Fred the Vampire Accountant books, and I was right. The series is really starting to run out of steam, and should probably finish up in a book or two. There is just too much power creep, and it lost the charm that made the premise amusing in the first place.

I read Robopocalypse. Its sort of ok? It sort of reminds me of World War Z (which is not a good thing), but the writing is less hamfisted. The characters are all still pretty one dimensional. I wouldn't really recommend it to anybody, but its at least readable. I have zero interest in reading the sequels. Only reason I read it is because I heard Steven Spielberg was slated to direct an adaptation of it at one point.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PriorMarcus posted:

Can anyone recommend a book to me that's has a plausible but fun exploration of alien life in it? I was thinking Children of Time (not actually aliens, I know) but how propulsive is it? Is it quite a slow read?

Cj cherryh, her chanur books.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

FPyat posted:

Oh hey, the first copies of Battuta's new Exordia are out! Quoting a twitter user, "This is a very different book than Baru, but Seth’s evocative prose and dark humor is familiar from page one, and the laser focus on defamiliarizing real world injustices is again the core of the work."

This has been a book I've been looking forwards to since it was announced. Honestly, nothing can top this as a book jacket blurb:

Daniel M. Lavery posted:

Exordia is a comprehensive taxonomy of violence at every level, from the subcellular to the intergalactic[...]

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

sebmojo posted:

Cj cherryh, her chanur books.

SF & F Mega-thread: Cj cherryh, her chanur

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

RoboCicero posted:

This has been a book I've been looking forwards to since it was announced. Honestly, nothing can top this as a book jacket blurb:

I got very excited and checked my pre-order but alas I have to wait until Jan 24. This is an outrage!!!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I just finished Tchaikovsky's Final Architecture. It was good, though Book 1 dragged kinda hard I found I got drawn in more and more once I started Book 2 and then Book 3 was mostly payoff.

I do however wish he wouldn't do the thing where a character finds out some piece of revelatory information but doesn't tell the reader for a few pages/chapters thing, It's a pet peeve when it's done too often in a third person omniscient narrator style where it stays with the character who discovered it. But it only happened just enough times for me to notice it, and the wait was usually pretty short.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

brunner's crucible of time, dragon's egg by robert l forward,
children of time wasn't a slow read for me, it was quite the pageturner. the sequel as well. the third one didn't grab me, except for the parts with the corvids.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Startide Rising has great aliens.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

zoux posted:

Startide Rising has great aliens.

Remember the girlboss matriarch alien who strangles underlings with her mating claw (it shoots out of her Sorussy). Man I loved that book

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

zoux posted:

Is it as propulsive as the medieval Jack Reacher vampire knight novel series I'm reading? No, nothing is.
Excuse me? Title please and thank you!

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
City of Last Chances (Tyrant Philosophers #1) by Adrian Tchaikovsky - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNQG974T/

Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre by Max Brooks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WQQXSGL/

The Last of the Wine by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6XQ/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I don't know if I would really call Last of the Wine sci-fi or fantasy given that it's a historical epic with no fantasy or sci-fi elements, but it's an excellent novel and I highly recommend it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't know if I would really call Last of the Wine sci-fi or fantasy given that it's a historical epic with no fantasy or sci-fi elements, but it's an excellent novel and I highly recommend it.

It was Book of the Month in 2014!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647305

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chairman Capone posted:

Same. It's a wonderful book. It is probably even more painful to read now that we live in a collapsing democracy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

pradmer posted:

Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre by Max Brooks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WQQXSGL/

This is a fun little romp

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Harold Fjord posted:

This is a fun little romp

Can confirm. It's light reading, but fun.

This botched scan that doesn't know what a lowercase 'l' looks like has finally gone from infuriating to hilarious.

I cannot imagine how this ever passed quality control.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Getting every single error out of a scanned manuscript is surprisingly labor-intensive, and most companies doing them are not putting that level of effort into it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ClydeFrog posted:

I got very excited and checked my pre-order but alas I have to wait until Jan 24. This is an outrage!!!

Big same on both counts.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kestral posted:

Can confirm. It's light reading, but fun.

This botched scan that doesn't know what a lowercase 'l' looks like has finally gone from infuriating to hilarious.

I cannot imagine how this ever passed quality control.

Wrong will be right, when Asian comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Rand Brittain posted:

Getting every single error out of a scanned manuscript is surprisingly labor-intensive, and most companies doing them are not putting that level of effort into it.

Similarly, students scanning parts of their textbook to paste into an essay are also not labor-intensively minded.

sebmojo posted:

Wrong will be right, when Asian comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.

:hmmyes:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Rand Brittain posted:

Man ain’t that the truth. This is pretty egregious stuff though, because there are errors like that on literally every page, usually more than one, all because the letter L was apparently too much to handle. Asian Aslan is merely the funniest example.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Kestral posted:

Man ain’t that the truth. This is pretty egregious stuff though, because there are errors like that on literally every page, usually more than one, all because the letter L was apparently too much to handle. Asian Aslan is merely the furriest example.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I know the threat title just changed, and the current one feels very fitting, but man "Asian Aslan is merely the furriest example" is a great subtitle too

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

PriorMarcus posted:

*crashing through several zones of thought* have you read Vernor Vinge?

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Every page snipe should be recommending that people who read and liked a Children of ___ book by Tchaikovsky should read Vernor Vinge, and vice versa.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Finished Daughter of the Empire since it got recommended a lot ITT. Good book, I had a great time watching Mara pull off all those schemes in spite of how lovely her situation was. Some of the prose felt a little dry/stilted at times, but the plot was good enough that I didn't mind too much. I'll read the sequels some other time, but I think I want to read something that has really good action scenes now. Any recommendations?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I know the threat title just changed, and the current one feels very fitting, but man "Asian Aslan is merely the furriest example" is a great subtitle too

I mean, we could just acknowledge that the Sex Computer was a weird, transgressive, extreme example of what was possible in the Strange Libertarian Future of The Diamond Age and then just change the thread title immediately.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
I have mostly fond memories of the Diamond Age; those memories lack even a trace of a sex computer. Might have to check my paperback copy to see if those pages were secretly razor bladed out by my guardian angel.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Honestly y'all should be complaining about the heteronormativity of The Drummers.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Whirling posted:

Finished Daughter of the Empire since it got recommended a lot ITT. Good book, I had a great time watching Mara pull off all those schemes in spite of how lovely her situation was. Some of the prose felt a little dry/stilted at times, but the plot was good enough that I didn't mind too much. I'll read the sequels some other time, but I think I want to read something that has really good action scenes now. Any recommendations?

Read some Matthew Stover star wars books

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Diamond Age had great worldbuilding and then took a sharp turn when Stephenson, yet again, felt the need to have his young female character get sexually assaulted for no good reason except that it was edgy I guess. He seemingly just cannot help himself and it's a real bad look.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

General Battuta posted:

Heroes Die is 90s as gently caress but the action is great.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

General Battuta posted:

I was going to say that Traitor is basically just two people discussing the morality of the Force for 200 pages, but then I remembered I was forgetting the Ganner segment!

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Whirling posted:

The stuff Stackpole wrote when he did the X-Wing books had good action from what I remember, and I remember them being fun reads too. The new Thrawn series from Timothy Zahn is fun too, but not as much action. More art appreciation from Thrawn, though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Chairman Capone posted:

I was going to say that Traitor is basically just two people discussing the morality of the Force for 200 pages, but then I remembered I was forgetting the Ganner segment!

I remember Traitor must be 15 years or something since I read it... But I remember I liked it, it was a different book to most other star wars books. I thought it was very cool. I didn't read any of the following books but I recall reading other people discussing the books and apparently they invalidated the whole book and went in a real dumb direction.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Star fighters of Adumar (x-wing 9) by Aaron Allston is the single best SW book ever written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think you misspelled wraith squadron, and meant to say Michael stackpole...