Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Crossposting a flag map.
Kudos I guess to Afghanistan for having the second most flags in only half the time of the US, without the gimmick that we have for changing our flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Imagine spending decades to fix your flag and then everyone else fumbles it on the finishing line. Poor Herold.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
iran making their flag normal sized because they're fuckin wimps

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Remember that the original American plan was to add a stripe for every state as well

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I rate the American flag 'not bad', but someone should have sat them down to explain that having a star for literally every state is a bit much. They should have considered adding a star for every fifth state instead, something like that. Either that or not have so many states.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Phlegmish posted:

I rate the American flag 'not bad', but someone should have sat them down to explain that having a star for literally every state is a bit much. They should have considered adding a star for every fifth state instead, something like that. Either that or not have so many states.

Nah, go the other direction. Add a star for every member of the house and senate.

A truly representative democracy!

E. Also good idea with the added stripes. Increase those too.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 11, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

What they really should have done is not call them states, and beat anyone still obtuse about pretending they're like actual (nation) states with individual rights and laws and stuff. Unions are for labour.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

At least they didn't pull a UK and they don't have fifty different 'national' sports teams competing in international tournaments

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ikasuhito posted:

Nah, go the other direction. Add a star for every member of the house and senate.

A truly representative democracy!

E. Also good idea with the added stripes. Increase those too.
Actually, they should have locked in the original number of states and just have them expand west like the founding fathers intended.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

us should have stuck to making the flag as lovely as possible and added a stripe for avery state and a star for every county

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Each state gets one star or one stripe. The state legislature gets to design it.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
For international sports we have a stars team and a stripes team

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Each state's stripe is vertical or horizontal depending on the party that controls the legislature. Split legislatures get a star.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Each state's stripe is vertical or horizontal depending on the party that controls the legislature. Split legislatures get a star.

You’re a loving monster. I will never unsee that, in my mind’s-eye.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

At least they didn't pull a UK and they don't have fifty different 'national' sports teams competing in international tournaments

Remember the 2004 Olympics when the US Olympic basketball team lost to Puerto Rico.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

So many weak suggestions here when the pro move would be to replace each star with the corresponding state’s seal.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

All the finalist are awful.

It’s a pyrrhic victory.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

As a Californian: hard agree to the second option. Just merge all the other states into California-sized units: New England, Midwest, etc.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think states like Wyoming should get a pass, because at least they're huge in geographical size. But I agree that there is no reason for Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine to be separate states. You could easily merge them and the resulting state's population would still be tiny.

One caveat, said state should of course adopt New Hampshire's motto, LIVE FREE OR DIE (all caps). That might be the coolest official motto of anywhere in the world. It sounds like the title of a Youth of Today song. I love it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Platystemon posted:

All the finalist are awful.

It’s a pyrrhic victory.

i like the F29 star/snowflake design now, even though i didn't like it much at first

anyway i opened this thread to share with you folks these 614 pages of public comments about the flag finalists

https://21588026.fs1.hubspotusercon...ic_Comments.pdf

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Phlegmish posted:

One caveat, said state should of course adopt New Hampshire's motto, LIVE FREE OR DIE (all caps). That might be the coolest official motto of anywhere in the world. It sounds like the title of a Youth of Today song. I love it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i like the F29 star/snowflake design now, even though i didn't like it much at first

anyway i opened this thread to share with you folks these 614 pages of public comments about the flag finalists

https://21588026.fs1.hubspotusercon...ic_Comments.pdf

searched “idiot”

quote:

Every one of these innocuous, crap designs looks like they were belched-up by a Baltic cadre of the Soviet Young Pioneers in about 1947, which is fitting to fly above the Woke idiots who cooked-up this revisionist nonsense. If the intention was to come-up with something so bland it wouldnâ€TMt offend anybody these “designsâ€􏰀 work, but they also are congenitally forgettable. They all STINK!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol

I would hang this up on my wall

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Platystemon posted:

searched “idiot”

quote:

Well, here's the final piece of garbage. You people failed the entire state by submitting nothing but a bunch of abstract pieces of junk that doesn't represent the ENTIRE STATE. All you've done is
shown trash that appeals to a bunch of progressives in a small part of the state, i.e., Minneapolis/St. Paul. There's a lot of traditional people in this state that HATE what you people represent and
your bastardization of our flag is just one more slap in the face. Give our old flag a new look and bring it back fresh and clean. Represent ALL OF US by showing what this state is really like and that
we are proud of our rich history and bountiful natural resources

Do you think any of the people getting angry about this actually knew what the state flag looked like beforehand?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

EasilyConfused posted:

Do you think any of the people getting angry about this actually knew what the state flag looked like beforehand?

you know that this isn't the point

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Searched “stupid”

quote:

People are stupid, no matter what flag you pick if it dosent have the word MINNESOTA on it people wont have any clue what it means

quote:

Please no... Leave the current flag. They look stupid. If you want to update the current flayg, that is fine. You can update it to be better but there is nothing rasist about it. Just because a small part of group say that and then bend the knee is just crazy. Remove the indian or make them wave. Removing them is Rasist.

quote:

The new flags are so Stupid, just like the people that are running our state are stupid. Leave the flag the way it is. Our flag is a nice flag. Don't need no stupid Democrat. People screw it up like they're doing with the state today

What I assume is the same person entered some variation of this as feedback on several of the finalists, getting increasingly exasperated in later entries:

quote:

Stupid ,,GOT NO IMAGINATION????? Where's a loon? A pine tree?
Lakes, fish?
And you people govern our great state???

There’s one on page three hundred that runs over a thousand words, ending in:

quote:

I do not insist that F1154 be stricken to the waste basket but let a Darwinian †̃survival of the fittestâ€TM race between it and The North Star flag begin;and may the best flag win. Alleviate your mind from analyzing which aspect of what flag reigns superior- let the people choose! Give us, we, the people, a chance to pick between F1154 and the North Star Flag. Or rob us of our rightful choice and face our burning ire. The logical choice here is the easiest and best for you: infringe not upon our right to decide our future flag and leave your political future untainted by public ire. Let there be 7 entries, let the deeply popular North Star Flag back in and let democracy take its natural course.

e: There’s another running for three full pages starting at six hundred and nine. It is partly in French, with heavy mojibake.

P.S.: Accusations of “looking like a communist flag” are levelled against F29 (four times), F944 (three), F1154 (four), F1953 (seven), and F2100 (four).

F1435 is a confirmed neoliberal. It’s also out of the running.

:ducksiren: F944, F1953, and F2100 advance to the final round. :ducksiren:

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 13, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Thirty‐five comments have URLs. I checked one Imgur link. It had two views. It was genuine flag variations and not Goatse.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Might as well post for reference the current seal.

Which I've seen worse. It's a chill scene I guess. The native american is probably not based on any local people's dress, which isn't great, and the general sentiment of coming to native lands to start farming might sound worse these days, and presumably Minnesota has picked up more to define itself in the last century or so.

Foot fetishists are probably really upset though.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Man, those are some weak selections. Honestly, 944, for all its flaws, is the most interesting one left even though I’m sure they’ll go with the tedious r/vexillology option of 1953 or the Credit Union logo of 2100.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
They should have kept 29 over 2100, but they at least got the worst two out of there.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

King Hong Kong posted:

Man, those are some weak selections. Honestly, 944, for all its flaws, is the most interesting one left even though I’m sure they’ll go with the tedious r/vexillology option of 1953 or the Credit Union logo of 2100.

What are all its flaws? I haven't really seen people explain that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fuschia tude posted:

I can vividly see it painted on the tail of a NorthStarAero 737

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Fuschia tude posted:

I’m not as down on it as other people but I think it’s the asymmetry, which is unusual, and the fact that the design seems like it is meant to be representational even though it isn’t, as far as I know, representative of anything.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

King Hong Kong posted:

I’m not as down on it as other people but I think it’s the asymmetry, which is unusual, and the fact that the design seems like it is meant to be representational even though it isn’t, as far as I know, representative of anything.

It's a river and some cloud.

And by cloud I mean CHEM TRAILS!!!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

lol they picked my 3 least favorite designs

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lol they picked my 3 least favorite designs
I don't believe you. No chance those 3 stood out enough among the 2000 entries for you to declare them your least favorite.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

King Hong Kong posted:

they’ll go with the tedious r/vexillology option of 1953

It’s seen as communist by the most people, which makes it the best.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

It’s seen as communist by the most people, which makes it the best.

wtf about Ripoff Texas is communist

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

wtf about Ripoff Texas is communist

They don’t elaborate.

quote:

Looks like the flag of a communist country..

quote:

NOT THIS ONE it looks like communist country flag

quote:

No. This looks like a communist country flag

quote:

Please DO NOT pick this one, it looks like a flag from a communist country, any of the other choices are better than this.

quote:

Were you shooting for a mash up of the Taiwanese flag with the Puerto Rican flag? It gives the aura of some communist or banana republic place I wouldn't want to visit. Yuck!

quote:

Looks communist, and whatâ€TMs with those colors? Itâ€TMs ugly and does not represent our state. Keep the flag we have!

quote:

At first glance this looks like a flag that would represent a communist state. Same colors as all the other options that you have chosen. Wow, what great variety to choose from. Not sure how this represents all cultures of Minnesota. Seems like each design is geared towards one culture of Minnesotans. On the current flag the culture you are trying to push down our throats is already represented. Total waste of our tax dollars. Thanks. My dog could draw a better design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Followup: what are the many cultures of minnesotans and their associated colours? We going for some ROC Five Nations Flag?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 14, 2023