Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

big dyke energy posted:

He should be sorrier. Just my opinion.

you know what? he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Look if it comes down to destroying the human race or not destroying the human race, and I get a bonus try as a god with the first option, I'm gonna roll the dice.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mdemone posted:

Look if it comes down to destroying the human race or not destroying the human race, and I get a bonus try as a god with the first option, I'm gonna roll the dice.

The nine houses are a few million people iirc. All the remaining 99% are now hungry angry ghosts.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

sebmojo posted:

The nine houses are a few million people iirc. All the remaining 99% are now hungry angry ghosts.

If they would have paid attention to what I said we would be just fine. Also they should have a cookie.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Plus all the people John is keeping in his fridge

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Tor Tumblr is having a real one

cruxussy

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I am suddenly more sympathetic to John's actions.

Kill it all.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
John probably wrote that fanfic and that post.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

:killing:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
"Which has entered my body through my eyes" is a phrase I'm going to adopt

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
lol this mfer's name is Donald Sex, what a dork. Neat side story though.

E: I have zero Photoshop skills so pretend that I pasted the Sixth House skull over this NY Post cover

E2: And edit "Juno" in over Marla

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 12, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Donald Sex probably definitely is a better option than the above.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

*extremely kiwi accent* cahs look it sunsuts too

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Strategic Tea posted:

*extremely kiwi accent* cahs look it sunsuts too

It's more like keears (I just said it out loud a few times to check)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

And you need an upwards inflection at the end, like you're asking a question.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've been listening to the Harrow audiobook off-and-on and the climactic scene with Jod being confronted by his lyctors w/r/t perfect lyctorhood, his lies, everything seems to hit a lot different after knowing the revelations from Nona.

There's also a weird thing where Gideon in Harrow's body describes mental noise like screaming when Jod looks at them, it seems to be coming from the spirit of Alecto? Harrow's soul is MIA at that point because she chooses to dunk herself into the river again rather than consume Gideon

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

lines posted:

You know, you can accuse John of many things, but being a capitalist is not one of them I suppose.
The endgame of capitalism is the world's richest man enthroned on a mountain of corpses and extracted resources.

John Gaius is that man.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Having just finished Nona, I need to chew on all the analysis for a while, BUT I'm still firmly on John's side BECAUSE this apparently just *happened* to him. He developed the skill and used it for awful ends but from all textual evidence it was a pure gift that he did not ask for, and when he was still a human-ish guy he tried to act correctly.

It's an "absolute power corrupts absolutely" tale.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Even if you can forgive his actions at the time which lead up to the Resurrection, it doesn't really justify the following 10,000 years. "Power corrupts" does not free the powerful from the moral burden of their deeds.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mdemone posted:

Having just finished Nona, I need to chew on all the analysis for a while, BUT I'm still firmly on John's side BECAUSE this apparently just *happened* to him. He developed the skill and used it for awful ends but from all textual evidence it was a pure gift that he did not ask for, and when he was still a human-ish guy he tried to act correctly.

It's an "absolute power corrupts absolutely" tale.

He started a literal necromantic death cult that killed first itself then 10 billion people (btw I totally get liking John, i do too he's very charming, it's just funny putting that feeling next to the objective fact that he is at absolute best a thousand times worse than Hitler)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
He was given the power, and then handled the next few years of PR incredibly badly, hosed up, and then refused to admit fault for the next myriad. And also triple downed on the brainwashing and death cult that got him in trouble in the first place.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

disposablewords posted:

Even if you can forgive his actions at the time which lead up to the Resurrection, it doesn't really justify the following 10,000 years. "Power corrupts" does not free the powerful from the moral burden of their deeds.

But it's pretty clear that by then he's not bound by human morality, and we can't expect him to be, since he is no longer bound by human desires.

It just seems irrelevant to judge him based on what we think is moral. "Where were you when I made the world", etc. Of course John is bad, in the same way that all gods are necessarily bad.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

mdemone posted:

But it's pretty clear that by then he's not bound by human morality, and we can't expect him to be, since he is no longer bound by human desires.

It just seems irrelevant to judge him based on what we think is moral. "Where were you when I made the world", etc. Of course John is bad, in the same way that all gods are necessarily bad.

what

Of course he's bound by human morality and human desires.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also if anybody wants to give me divine powers and free me from my worldly desires I promise my cult to be more in line with Bacchus and Aphrodite than the whole corpse thing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding the genocidal maniac John Gaius. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to him"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rand Brittain posted:

what

Of course he's bound by human morality and human desires.

He's not remotely human though.

You don't know what a god wants, what a god needs.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

if he's not bound by human desires, then explain all the orgies

(please don't explain all the orgies)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

mdemone posted:

He's not remotely human though.

You don't know what a god wants, what a god needs.

But we know exactly what he wants.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm mostly being glib for contrarian reasons. But I do think that Muir at least intends us to wrestle with "all gods are evil" as an idea.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Nona is not evil. Nona loves you. And Nona loves Noodle and all the good doggos.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Can I just say that while I did know who Nona was, early on, I did not get the hint from her name until it was said out loud.

I felt very stupid as a reader for the first time in a while.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Hang on, what hint?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

lines posted:

Hang on, what hint?

Nonagesimus. It's right in Harrow's loving name.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Nah, John really still wants to be seen as a cool dude who people like and can get along with. Even if he is something different now, he fully merits being judged given what he is trying to be. If you're an unreachable, amoral god beyond judgement, then commit to the bit and don't try to have fun dinner parties and relationships.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

What's the point of living 10,000 years if you can't have dinner parties and gently caress

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

What's the point of living 10,000 years if you can't have dinner parties and gently caress

Thread title?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

disposablewords posted:

Nah, John really still wants to be seen as a cool dude who people like and can get along with. Even if he is something different now, he fully merits being judged given what he is trying to be. If you're an unreachable, amoral god beyond judgement, then commit to the bit and don't try to have fun dinner parties and relationships.

I don't think that dinner party was fun for anyone except the reader.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

disposablewords posted:

putting aside the resurrection (just yada yada the ten billion angry ghosts), he is absolutely pursuing a genocidal 10,000 year long war of conquest that murders planets. he could stop at any time.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

putting aside the resurrection (just yada yada the ten billion angry ghosts), he is absolutely pursuing a genocidal 10,000 year long war of conquest that murders planets. he could stop at any time.

That’s literally all A & M ask of him at the end and he murders them instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mad Hamish posted:

I don't think that dinner party was fun for anyone except the reader.

It certainly wasn't fun for me.