Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Followup: what are the many cultures of minnesotans and their associated colours?

Racists, various minorities (all bad). I'm sure you can fill in the colours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Followup: what are the many cultures of minnesotans and their associated colours? We going for some ROC Five Nations Flag?

Oh, you know the ones.

quote:

I have concerns about our new flag design being either too aligned with specific race(s) and/or that it will not stand the test of time in terms of style. Please take the following comments with that context in mind. F1435 I like this flag, but again feel it is too directed towards specific cultures. Some would say it looks like a Scandinavian quilt. Some would say it looks like an Ojibwe image. Despite the fact that I personally like this, I think it's important to get the feedback from other groups in Minnesota. How do our African-American and Asian friends feel about it?

quote:

This is the best of the selection because it's simple but looks complex and thought provoking, easily understood to represent Minnesota as a great North state, and looks professional.
The intertwined star and snowflake makes for a good representation of the many cultures within Minnesota as well. It has elements that bring to remembrance the Dutch and Swedish quilted stars, Native American ceremonial woven blanket designs, and traditional Somali fabric designs - bringing together many cultures into one representation.

quote:

Regarding all designs with this 8-pointed star made of disconnected diamonds, I know many cultures have used an 8-pointed star including Minnesotaâ€TMs indigenous communities and perhaps the intention was to include native symbolism, which is great. But I also think to most people it reads as “Norwegian sweater starâ€􏰀 and while that might be representative of the stateâ€TMs enfranchised people 100 years ago, it isnâ€TMt representative of Minnesota today.

quote:

How do any of these flag designs include or represent cultural diversity? Did the Native Americans have any input? Or Hmong or Somali cultures ? I see Scandinavia heritage reflected in use of the Swedish flag colors. Just saying. Thanks

There’s also this block of text, which was submitted for all flags. It doesn’t use the word “communist”, but invocations of “Cultural Marxism“ and “Mao’s Cultural Revolution” are more than enough.

quote:

I am a 6th generation Minnesotan whose German, Icelandic, Irish, & Austrian ancestors came to Minnesota in the early 1860's. There is nothing wrong w/ our state flag. It shows a European settler sod-busting his field after clearing trees. He has the weapon to shoot his dinner & in case a roaming White criminal came along (there were many roaming Civil War veterans who could be violent to settlers, their wives, & children). There were no nearby lawmen to call for help. Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote extensively on this subject. The depicted Native American is NOT "riding off into the sunset". He's just riding his horse, period. The two ethnic groups who made up essentially all of our MN population are represented on our flag (European Americans & Native Americans).
As I stated, I am a 6th generation Minnesotan & DFLer who nearly maxed-out on donations to Bernie in both 2016 & 2020. I NEVER thought the day would come when I would leave the DFL. That day has come. What you are doing is vile Cultural Marxism. You are erasing our state's history. You are literally using Mao's Cultural Revolution tactics & the irony is you're actually nothing more than Neoliberal corporate Democrats using identity politics on steroids to divide & gain power. If the DFL Native Americans (Asians who came across the Bering Land Bridge >> do a cheek swab of your Asian DNA) actually cared about Minnesota, at all, they would've convinced the DFL controlled legislature to remove the wolf hunt/trap/snare out of state law. Ma'iingan (the wolf) is sacred, yet you have NOT removed the wolf hunt. You would also have stopped Enbridge Line 3. Again, you did not. Peggy Flanagan & Tim Walz rammed the oil pipeline right thru. And, you would've stopped PolyMet-Glencore copper sulfide mine from poisoning the water supply of the Fond du Lac band w/ methyl mercury which poisons the central nervous systems of the Native American fetuses, babies, children, pregnant women, & everyone else. But, again, YOU DIDN'T. The Tim Walz & Peggy Flanagan DFL admin is ramming thru over 300 copper sulfide mines & NOT ONE OF YOU has done a thing to stop it even though you have total power in our state because you are all FRAUDS. Instead, you, the unelected, hate-driven, narcissistic, made-up "State Emblems Redesign Commission" appointed by Tim Walz, a man from Nebraska, are erasing our state flag & our state seal. I see you.

I don’t think that this person sounds like a very good ally.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 14, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everyone but that last guy is nicer than I expected ngl

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everyone but that last guy is nicer than I expected ngl

An avowed Bernie supporter denouncing cultural Marxism over the state flag is not something I was expecting to see.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The existing flag I don't think is racist, but it's still bad. I know Americans love to do this, but do not put entire elaborate illustrations or scenes on your flag. I don't know if that's an actual vexillological rule, but it should be.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah but Guam’s flag has a depiction of being born on Guam, and that’s cool.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Platystemon posted:

They don’t elaborate.
Ah yes, well known communist country Taiwan and banana republic Puerto Rico.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

EasilyConfused posted:

An avowed Bernie supporter denouncing cultural Marxism over the state flag is not something I was expecting to see.
Changing the state flag and seal was the last straw. I have no choice but to become a fascist now.

Phlegmish posted:

The existing flag I don't think is racist, but it's still bad. I know Americans love to do this, but do not put entire elaborate illustrations or scenes on your flag. I don't know if that's an actual vexillological rule, but it should be.

One exception though: Virginia has a boob on it. They get to keep it, everyone else must change.

And to not just shitpost, here's the most popular united Turkestan flag

This one, unlike so many hypothetical flags, actually is pretty goddam good
Most people don't think Turkey is part of Turkestan as the second image includes, but who knows how far the horde will ride

e: perhaps replace Turkey with the Kökbayraq, flag of East Turkestanthe most indubitably chinese province of Xinjiang, soon to be free of religious extremists

(author's note: do not actually fly this flag in East Turkestan if you value not being arrested)

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 14, 2023

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

I keep reading “DFL” as Dallas Fort-Lorth

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can’t unsee :eyepop:, and now you’re seeing it too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

I can’t unsee :eyepop:, and now you’re seeing it too.

I genuinely don't

like not in a feisty how dare you hurt the flag way

I just don't see it

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

u.s. state flags should all be required to be the shape of the state, we love it when stuff is shaped like the state we live in, we can't get enough of it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

u.s. state flags should all be required to be the shape of the state, we love it when stuff is shaped like the state we live in, we can't get enough of it

A lot of them don't even need to be changed really

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah most flags are already rectangular

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Peanut Butler posted:

I've always thought it's very lucky for the economy of Texas that the state has such a distinctive and recognizable shape. Just think how much Texas-shaped crap wouldn't ever have been manufactured or sold if the state was just a big square.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

I've always thought it's very lucky for the economy of Texas that the state has such a distinctive and recognizable shape. Just think how much Texas-shaped crap wouldn't ever have been manufactured or sold if the state was just a big square.

Much luck, very distinctive.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah most flags are already rectangular

The amazing two rectangular states, one with less people than its comrade’s capital

It’s not the square angles it’s just being foreign. Not posting a map can any of you point out Akmola on a map? It’s got very geographic distinctive borders. Immensely different from Karaganda if you compared them. Then there’s all the weird straight borders in the likes of Jambil, Mangystau, Ulytau, and Kyzylorda

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 14, 2023

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Peanut Butler posted:

Hawaii's flag is going to be a marvel of engineering. Or just a lot of flagpoles.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Chicken posted:

Hawaii's flag is going to be a marvel of engineering. Or just a lot of flagpoles.

Transparent flag with the islands as opaque bits

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Changing the state flag and seal was the last straw. I have no choice but to become a fascist now.

One exception though: Virginia has a boob on it. They get to keep it, everyone else must change.

Most people don't think Turkey is part of Turkestan as the second image includes, but who knows how far the horde will ride

e: perhaps replace Turkey with the Kökbayraq, flag of East Turkestanthe most indubitably chinese province of Xinjiang, soon to be free of religious extremists

(author's note: do not actually fly this flag in East Turkestan if you value not being arrested)

Is Tajikistan Turkic? I thought they had more Persian in them.

That flag is cool but the star should have a number of points that equals the number of constituent states.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

i have to respect this for taking the "star inside the crescent moon" variant and making it even more physically impossible. neil degrasse tyson is going to be pissed

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Angepain posted:

i have to respect this for taking the "star inside the crescent moon" variant and making it even more physically impossible. neil degrasse tyson is going to be pissed

Perhaps it depicts what Project A119 would have looked like.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Angepain posted:

And that's why astrophysicists do not get paid to create iconography. The singular value flags and symbols should have is "looks good and can be facsimiled with 5 seconds of stressed graffiti". Anything else can be sorted by post facto justification nerds

Also tricolours are dumb and scandinavian cross flags were a mistake without a federation

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

And that's why astrophysicists do not get paid to create iconography. The singular value flags and symbols should have is "looks good and can be facsimiled with 5 seconds of stressed graffiti". Anything else can be sorted by post facto justification nerds

Also tricolours are dumb and scandinavian cross flags were a mistake without a federation
It's a Nordic cross!!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's a Nordic cross!!

You're a nordic cross!!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Chicken posted:

The struggle is extremely real. As a Danish cookie cutter enthusiast, I have Sweden, Finland, Gotland, Langeland, Germany and Africa, but a meaningful Denmark is just not feasible.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's a Nordic cross!!

It's a Danish cross and should represent greater Denmark, including current Norway, Sweden, Estonia, Iceland, Northern Germany, England and Newfoundland.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

BonHair posted:

It's a Danish cross and should represent greater Denmark, including current Norway, Sweden, Estonia, Iceland, Northern Germany, England and Newfoundland.

https://i.imgur.com/zcQb9RU.gifv

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 14, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Yeah, he forgot Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and northern Poland.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

By extension, Normandy, Scotland, Ireland, Sicily, etc.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
why would anyone want to rule england

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To oversee its liquidation and liquefaction

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

revenge

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

did they... forget turkmenistan, but include a tajik flag minus the samanid crown for some reason?

thems both fightin words

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's a Nordic cross!!

More like bored-ic cross.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Angepain posted:

why would anyone want to rule england

*Can* anyone rule England? Evidence points to no.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Platonicsolid posted:

*Can* anyone rule England? Evidence points to no.

England rules itself, the same way a giant, smoothed boulder rules itself after you push it down a hill with an orphanage at the bottom.

Also 944 looks like a corporate logo. It's amazing it doesn't have Land of 10,000 Lakes™ at the bottom.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
CGP Grey likes Minnesota flag 1953 and I think I agree with him, which doesn't happen all that often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFwwo0W5Ugg

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

sweek0 posted:

CGP Grey likes Minnesota flag 1953 and I think I agree with him, which doesn't happen all that often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFwwo0W5Ugg

Personally, I like the EXTRA BLUE variant of 2100, 1953 just looks too much like "this was turned in as a homework assignment to show the student understands basic vexillology", which, given Grey's teaching background of course he would like. When it is inevitably chosen, I will take my petty vengeance by referring to it as "the commie one".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EasilyConfused posted:

The best part is how defensive they get about the guy on the horse.

quote:

The depicted Native American is NOT "riding off into the sunset". He's just riding his horse, period.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 15, 2023