Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ivantod posted:

Thank you both for insights!

Actually I have already seen a few of Wayne's videos, which only made me want to do it more! :)

I guess I'll take the plunge on the Mercedes, at least it seems you are not locked in and can cancel the subscription at any point.

Wish me luck lol!

Wish I would have seen this sooner, I finally stumbled back into this thread after a very long hiatus.

Long story short, if you have more questions about what to expect or whatever, ask away. I have one probably 1/3 where stuff went to hell (Covid times, I had it going through eagle moss at the time and they went radio silent) and was thinking of just resuming it and was looking at the pricing now...yikes...basically I would have to start up a long conversation with them on where I'm at now with "Issues" to get it back on track. But yeah, expect a wheel and dashboard one month, next they'll send you a fuel tank. Sort of a hilarious thing I have the display case which they shipped way early and I see they want extra per month for it. Ugh. Scammy of course, but hey just money on stupid things that I could have spent better elsewhere.

For a change of topic...

On a whim, decided to pick up trying wooden ship modeling a go. Having no effing clue on what's good/what's bad/who or what to avoid, bought an Occre Albatross. Gotta say, it has been enjoyable. Just easy going. It's wood of course...able to fix quite most flaws as you go. Just taking my time, very therapeutic. It is flipping amazing how much you learn as you go and "what I would do different next time".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Looking to try a 1/48 tank- is there a Tamiya kit that's generally considered to be a very good one with minimal parts? Doing it as a palette cleanse between some larger scale more intricate builds. Or maybe an airplane at that scale, even?

Seconding what others have said, but if you want the absolute minimum number of parts, I would recommend the M4A1 in 1/48th, since the hull is one cast part that you stick all the various gribbly bits onto.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

Wish I would have seen this sooner, I finally stumbled back into this thread after a very long hiatus.

Long story short, if you have more questions about what to expect or whatever, ask away. I have one probably 1/3 where stuff went to hell (Covid times, I had it going through eagle moss at the time and they went radio silent) and was thinking of just resuming it and was looking at the pricing now...yikes...basically I would have to start up a long conversation with them on where I'm at now with "Issues" to get it back on track. But yeah, expect a wheel and dashboard one month, next they'll send you a fuel tank. Sort of a hilarious thing I have the display case which they shipped way early and I see they want extra per month for it. Ugh. Scammy of course, but hey just money on stupid things that I could have spent better elsewhere.

For a change of topic...

On a whim, decided to pick up trying wooden ship modeling a go. Having no effing clue on what's good/what's bad/who or what to avoid, bought an Occre Albatross. Gotta say, it has been enjoyable. Just easy going. It's wood of course...able to fix quite most flaws as you go. Just taking my time, very therapeutic. It is flipping amazing how much you learn as you go and "what I would do different next time".

Occre is a pretty good brand and has instructions that I would rate on the higher end of ship model offerings. I think the best models are the ones designed by Chris Watton, or sold directly from Chris Watton's shop, Vanguard models.

One thing to keep in mind about ship models is that if you have a 3d printer you can replace some of the white metal castings that come in some kits with much higher detail prints.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Welcome to the crazy old man side of the hobby. Lol.

Edit: If you haven't already found this site, I highly recommend registering (free) on https://modelshipworld.com/

It is highly likely that you'll find multiple build logs for that specific kit, as well as an amazing amount of general information and helpful people for building wooden ships.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 6, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Skunkduster posted:

As Chuck_D said, that style of airbrush booth is pretty much the same from brand to brand. I have one that is 6-7 years old or so and I found out that the plastic it is made of dissolves and gets all gummy when it comes into contact with lacquers. I thin lacquers and clean my airbrush in the booth, so I'm spilling paint and thinner in there all the time. I solved the problem by cutting down a sheet of some sort of polyethylene (HDPE, LDPE, UHMW, etc.) and putting that in there as a base plate. A piece of corrugated cardboard would probably work just as well. I almost never airbrush enamels, but I believe that enamel paints and mineral spirits will not react with the plastic.

It is also possible they are using a different type of plastic now and I am just a cranky old fart.

Cheers, I'll just grab one then. I'm just gonna be using it with Gundam paint markers on Gundam and Moderoid kits, so that shouldn't be an issue in my case.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m also new to model ship building. After building a few flotillas worth of gaming pieces for the Black Seas tabletop game my wife bought me a Model Shipways Phantom kit that she found in a thrift store because “I like making little boats so much.” There’s a lot of helpful build logs online thankfully and it’s been a fairly relaxing experience shaping the hull, but one thing all the logs seem to gloss over is drawing the waterline. Is there a simple trick to drawing an symmetrical line that doesn’t involve buying some kind of laser tool or filling a bathtub with talc?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Occre is a pretty good brand and has instructions that I would rate on the higher end of ship model offerings. I think the best models are the ones designed by Chris Watton, or sold directly from Chris Watton's shop, Vanguard models.

One thing to keep in mind about ship models is that if you have a 3d printer you can replace some of the white metal castings that come in some kits with much higher detail prints.

The Locator posted:

Welcome to the crazy old man side of the hobby. Lol.

Edit: If you haven't already found this site, I highly recommend registering (free) on https://modelshipworld.com/

It is highly likely that you'll find multiple build logs for that specific kit, as well as an amazing amount of general information and helpful people for building wooden ships.

Thank you both. Spent the morning on that forum looking at builds. I hope Chris makes money..the R&D/time/production on that stuff is incredible.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

I’m also new to model ship building. After building a few flotillas worth of gaming pieces for the Black Seas tabletop game my wife bought me a Model Shipways Phantom kit that she found in a thrift store because “I like making little boats so much.” There’s a lot of helpful build logs online thankfully and it’s been a fairly relaxing experience shaping the hull, but one thing all the logs seem to gloss over is drawing the waterline. Is there a simple trick to drawing an symmetrical line that doesn’t involve buying some kind of laser tool or filling a bathtub with talc?

Temporarily attach the hull to something that holds it upright and level and allows access to all sides (so like clamp the keel from below).

Get a small piece of wood, drill a hold into it and stick one of the dowels or really any other piece of wood into the hole sticking upright. To this, tape or clamp a pencil that you adjust to touch the hull right at the waterline. Move the pencil holder thing around the hull drawing a line.

They make actual tools for doing this, but it's something that's pretty easy to rig up with a little bit of imagination.

You are trying to make something like this, but simpler and one-time use just for this model.

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/waterline-marker/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thank you both. Spent the morning on that forum looking at builds. I hope Chris makes money..the R&D/time/production on that stuff is incredible.

Chris's business is doing well enough that they have outgrown their house and need to find a larger space before he can add another large model kit to his lineup!

He has a really cool thread in the marketplace subforum of Model Ship World where he tells everyone what is on his project list for the next year (and even beyond) as well as posting pictures of his projects as he develops them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Drunkboxer posted:

filling a bathtub with talc?

Please tell me no one has actually done this.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Please tell me someone has. :evilbuddy:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

One thing I might recommend before going whole hog on a huge ship is to do a cross section to get a handle on the rigging.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Locator posted:

Temporarily attach the hull to something that holds it upright and level and allows access to all sides (so like clamp the keel from below).

Get a small piece of wood, drill a hold into it and stick one of the dowels or really any other piece of wood into the hole sticking upright. To this, tape or clamp a pencil that you adjust to touch the hull right at the waterline. Move the pencil holder thing around the hull drawing a line.

They make actual tools for doing this, but it's something that's pretty easy to rig up with a little bit of imagination.

You are trying to make something like this, but simpler and one-time use just for this model.

https://vanguardmodels.co.uk/product/waterline-marker/

Ah yeah, I saw some things like this but when I was looking at the schematic last night I was worried because it didn’t look like the water line was parallel to the keel. Now I get that can adjust for that though with a clamp obviously. I was just being dumb/hoping for an easier method. Thanks.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

:shrug: I read it here this morning:

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=68366.0

quote:

I have also, in the past, read where people have filled a bath full of cold water and then sprinkle talcum power on top of the surface of the water and then place the hull in the water so that it is at the correct depth and when removing the hull from the bath water, the talcum power leaves a line around the hull at the correct level. I haven't tried this idea myself, but, there are also numerous more methods out there.

quote:

I've actually used the 'talcum powder in the bath' method. It was a tip from the late, great Vic Smeed in a copy of Model Boats magazine way back in the last century. It is especially suitable for complex hull shapes, and produces a very accurate result. The only drawback being, of course, that you have to clean the bath before one's 'significant other' returns home!

Cheers,

Mike

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My reaction to the talc bath method is that there must surely be a more suitable water container than a whole rear end bath tub for this.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Some model ships are huge, and if you were using this weirdo method, a bathtub would be needed.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Warmachine posted:

My reaction to the talc bath method is that there must surely be a more suitable water container than a whole rear end bath tub for this.

The toilet?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Ah yeah, I saw some things like this but when I was looking at the schematic last night I was worried because it didn’t look like the water line was parallel to the keel. Now I get that can adjust for that though with a clamp obviously. I was just being dumb/hoping for an easier method. Thanks.

Almost none of the older wooden ships actually sit with the keel parallel to the waterline. You need to measure at the bow and stern until you have the correct points at the same level based on the plans and figure out how to hold the ship at that angle to use the pencil moving around the hull method.

I skipped this whole problem on my last ship by simply not marking the waterline in any way at all!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Drunkboxer posted:

The toilet?

Tried that, drat thing came out dyed blue.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm not a ship building guy, so maybe this is a terrible suggestion. How about placing a light source level with the boat, then using a piece of cardboard as a light mask to cast a shadow along the edge of the boat and using that as a reference for the waterline?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

https://youtu.be/6JJWBdelpeA?si=4skw8tCk1oZdTzDz

Colostomy Bag posted:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Flush first. Also drink less Dew.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’m fairly new to modeling, started a few months ago and I’ve been working on learning techniques. I am building the Polar Lights Defiant right now, it’s coming out really good. I want to weather it but I have a lot of questions.

Right now I use acrylic paints. I prime, then base coat in black, then work up to greys and so on. Then apply a gloss clear coat, apply decals, then seal it all up with a flat clear coat. I use Tamiya paints and TS-13 clear coat and TS-80 flat clear coat. I air brush most of it.

So when it comes to weathering I’ve seen a lot of videos where people apply some paint, then work it in/fade it/remove it using a brush dipped in thinner. End result is a thin translucent layer of what really looks like carbon and dirt streaks. Can I do this with acrylics on top of all the acrylics above? I worry about dissolving and destroying the work underneath or screwing up the clear coat. I think I see people use enamel paints and enamel thinner for this step, and I imagine they’re using them on top of acrylics? Does enamel thinner not affect acrylics?

It seems like the really high end YouTube model makers layer a lot of different paint types. I’ve seen acrylic/enamel, oil brush pens used on painted models and blended in, I don’t want to work with lacquers I don’t have a respirator. But these techniques are the stuff I want to learn. What all these magic combinations are…

Here’s some pics. First model I’ve ever posted pics of:

The detailing in the paint rarely comes through the finished model, there are so many decals.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Your concerns and assumptions are all correct.

Acrylics are hard to blend as they dry too quickly. Enamels and oils are the way to go there. I recommend oils for a beginner as just a couple earthy and gray tones will fit most needs and oils are very forgiving. If you mess up, just use thinner to wipe them off and start over. Enamels, in my experience, tend to be a little more permanent a little more quickly.

Thinners in enamels and oils typically do not attack acrylics, but I still wouldn't slop them onto an acrylic base coat. Use them sparingly. When weathering, less is more and subtlety is key.

Also consider getting some pastel chalks from a local hobby store, sanding them down to a powder and using them to enhance exhausts or other dirty areas. They can add a drier looking dirt effect that complements the oils and enamels.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Even a big hobby/art store like Michael's should have packs of chalk pastels. Can't think of the brand, but you get eight pastel sticks. One pack has earth tones good for rust and dirt, and the other has a range of grays.

Got mine decades ago, and they're still going strong.

For other colors, you should be able to get a variety of colors as individual sticks. I found getting lighter warm and cool greens really good for fading effects on plane paint jobs. A more specialized art place should have pots of chalk pastel powders, but they're pricy.

On topic, I used the rust color and green for the rust ring and streaking on the 1/1000 TOS Enterprise. Looks really good.

Just make sure they're chalk pastels and not oil. Totally different animal!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Quick little review. If anyone is looking to brighten their work area, I bought the below set of two 2ft LED lights, and they are very good. Nice neutral color, very bright. You wouldn't be able to use them to light your entire hobby area, but if you want to increase the light of an airbrush booth or hung underneath a shelf to light your assembly area, they'd work perfectly. Nice and cheap too!

https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-Fixt...148&sr=8-5&th=1

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I love my LED strips but am one of those people who can't stand the AC flickering.

LED strips, and specifically COB strips, are great too. Get them with adhesive backing, cut to size, and stick everywhere. Some assembly required.

Photo stolen from random seller.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I'll say it again, in any hobby where fine detail work is a main focus, there is no substitute for more light. I have 11 light bulbs plus a 12' strip of LEDs in my hobby room.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

It's finished and heading off to my brother at warp 8 the speed of Canada Post! I am pretty pleased with how it turned out though I have to say that the waterslide transfers are far and away the most awful and delicate that I have ever worked with. I learned loads in terms of how to light up a model and have plans to do another one in the future (though not right away).

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Anyone know a good way to darken these machine guns?

They were painted with Tamiya gunmetal acrylic. They are a bit too "bright" in my opinion. I have Tamiya smoke (clear black) acrylic maybe if I thin it a bunch and paint over the guns that will work?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I would imagine GW/Citadel Nuln Oil would be the go to for this situation.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would imagine GW/Citadel Nuln Oil would be the go to for this situation.

Huh never heard of that stuff. I looked it up, looks like its water based acrylic? Maybe I can just use heavily thinned Vallejo black paint. Because I have it lol.

Also Tamiya acrylic paint retarder is pretty amazing stuff. Im used to Tamiya not being great for brush painting because it dries so incredibly fast since it's solvent based. But last night I was brush painting various colors using the retarder and it stayed wet for a long time. I was brush painting Vallejo as well and the Tamiya stayed wet basically the same amount of time. I wasn't brush painting big parts, that might still be too much for Tamiya.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Fearless posted:

It's finished and heading off to my brother at warp 8 the speed of Canada Post! I am pretty pleased with how it turned out though I have to say that the waterslide transfers are far and away the most awful and delicate that I have ever worked with. I learned loads in terms of how to light up a model and have plans to do another one in the future (though not right away).

Fantastic stuff, I'm thinking about picking up the Reliant myself. How difficult was the lighting?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Charliegrs posted:

Huh never heard of that stuff. I looked it up, looks like its water based acrylic? Maybe I can just use heavily thinned Vallejo black paint. Because I have it lol.

Also Tamiya acrylic paint retarder is pretty amazing stuff. Im used to Tamiya not being great for brush painting because it dries so incredibly fast since it's solvent based. But last night I was brush painting various colors using the retarder and it stayed wet for a long time. I was brush painting Vallejo as well and the Tamiya stayed wet basically the same amount of time. I wasn't brush painting big parts, that might still be too much for Tamiya.

Yeah, it is an acrylic water based wash. Vallejo and Mig I think make some armor specific washes. I just checked and Vallejo makes a specific black wash. Typically the medium is slightly different than water, so a diluted black paint won't behave quite the same as a wash. If you don't have any washes it would be worth investing in Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade from Citadel. You can use them effectively on pretty much anything.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

Heavily thinned paint will work fine. If you have something to break the surface tension that will be best. Dish soap was apparently the go to for years but I’ve never tried that, so test first! If you have flow improver for acrylic that’s perfect. Brand names don’t matter too much.

With practice this is also a great way of bringing out details on a drab panel. Just pin wash around any gaps or rivets.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Charliegrs posted:

Anyone know a good way to darken these machine guns?

They were painted with Tamiya gunmetal acrylic. They are a bit too "bright" in my opinion. I have Tamiya smoke (clear black) acrylic maybe if I thin it a bunch and paint over the guns that will work?

i use black mixed with metal

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Any of the dark contrast/speed paints would work as well.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Can someone please help me airbrushing a decent gloss coat? I have a dual action airbrush and vallejo gloss. I have water, thinner, flow improver. Whatever combination of mixtures/PSI/distance I try I either end up with orange peel or the whole part being flooded. Am I being thick? Is there a better water-based gloss I should be using instead? Should I just give-in and use Tamiya / Mr. Hobby / etc. ? Or aerosol? (I'm UK based)

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

Charliegrs posted:

Try adding AK drying retarder when you thin out vallejo. it's magic for glazes.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

Can someone please help me airbrushing a decent gloss coat? I have a dual action airbrush and vallejo gloss. I have water, thinner, flow improver. Whatever combination of mixtures/PSI/distance I try I either end up with orange peel or the whole part being flooded. Am I being thick? Is there a better water-based gloss I should be using instead? Should I just give-in and use Tamiya / Mr. Hobby / etc. ? Or aerosol? (I'm UK based)

You can also try Alclad Aqua Gloss clear. Despite being from Alclad, it is water-based. Don't thin, don't shake, just put it in the airbrush @15-20psi and spray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

Is this for car models?