Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Trailer for the anime of The Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic dropped. It's a pretty fun story - nothing groundbreaking, but a solid fantasy adventure with an endearing cast of characters that avoids most of the standard isekai pitfalls. The adaptation looks decent enough, too, so this should be a fine way for newbies to experience it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkPRnHQJrws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wrong Way To Use Healing Magic is very fun. His healing magic is the type that is more effective at self-healing, basically like having regen on in an rpg, so he's able to push his body beyond its normal limits (like when someone goes into an adrenaline rush to lift a car off their child) because his body is constantly healing itself at an accelerated rate. which also leads to him generally running, jumping, etc faster than regular folks, but he absolutely earns his way there rather than just being handed the keys to superpowers like his friends who were isekai'd and he got dragged along. He joins the Rescue Squad, a group of battlefield "medics" whose roles are to dash into the fray to grab injured soldiers and bring them to the rear lines where healers can help them before they perish. It's a pretty cool concept, and the leader of the squad, Rose, is a great character.

It's still got some dumb and dopey isekai tropes in it but it's mostly not a problem, just more dopey stuff rather than offensive stuff. some of his eventual sidekicks are great characters too, some might say better than the actual main characters, perhaps!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One nice thing is that the story remembers to have actual conflict and tension, rather than being the stereotypical isekai steamroll. The protagonist is just a talented combat mage with an unconventional powerset, with his two isekai buddies being 'traditional' ace mages, so he (a) often has to rely on teamwork and (b) actually faces challenging opponents reasonably regularly (because everyone else has capable, experienced combat mages too).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soAct9da20A

Grendizer PV

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 10, 2023

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Sasaki and Peeps is one of my favourite currently running light novels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rb5fEQscrc

Middle-aged salaryman Sugita buys pet bird Aoi Yuuki who is actually a reincarnated archmage from another dimension, bird teleports him to his old world and the pair do the usual isekai hijinks. But the bird isn't really the main gimmick, when they go back to Earth the main character gets caught up in the plots of four other supernatural anime subgenres and the story bounces between/interconnects them and the isekai stuff.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

drat, season almost over.
The breakdown of the season so far.

Managed to keep up weekly:

A Returner's Magic Should Be Special - Ended up being a nice adaptation. I guess it helps that it has a pretty decent webtoon version that the anime episodes can just follow easily. Hit all the cool moments that I liked. 8/10

100 GFs - Surprised at how decent this was. I saw the title of the manga and synopsis and passed on it cause thought it was trashy. But it's actually clever is some parts.

The Apothecary Diaries - S-tier, 10/10. Strong episodes each week.

Frieren - Great. Tied with Apoth Diaries for anime of the season for me

MF Ghost - For a show about racing, it sure its taking its time in races and getting to it, but has just enough for me to hold onto it. The only other racer I care about other the the MC is the brother/sister pair though (which in any other sport, would be banned for massive collusion). 6/10

Undead Unluck - Probably my surprise of the season. Unlike other favorites this season, I knew nothing about this series at all. And each episode seems to just keep stacking the deck on possibilities of what kind of fights I can look forward to.

[On Hold[ (many episodes behind, but will try to catch up one day, unlike the up to date, I'm at a rate of like watching one episode every 2 weeks)

16-bit Sensation: Another Layer - Looked at the original web manga, and liked that one better. This IS titled Another Layer, so its really just an adaptation in name only, and shuffling the original characters around a lot. Which can work, but the middle arc dragged on a bit for me. Might speedwatch this before the season is officially over.

Goblin Slayer II

Firefighter Daigo: Rescuer in Orange - I am interested in this Fire Fighter procedural, got quite a few episodes in, just need to find the time and keep forgetting the check the list for new episodes.

The Demon Sword Master of Excalibur Academy

Shangri-La Frontier - It is picking up from where I last watched, but like FireFighter, I keep forgetting about it. Try to push it to top of the priority list.

Spy x Family S2 - S1 was my 'lunch time' anime. But haven't had much time to lunch and anime this season much.

Dropped:

Bokura no Ameiro Protocol - Looked forward to the e-sports aspect, but the game itself sucks and there wasn't really any cool sports aspect moments that I wished happened like in The Kings Avatar.

My Daughter is an S-Rank - manga is fun, anime didn't bring much.

I'm Giving the Disgraced Noble Lady I Rescued a Crash Course in Naughtiness) - lost interest

I Shall Survive Using Potions!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MHA's seventh (and maybe final? who knows at this point) season set for spring

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

MHA's seventh (and maybe final? who knows at this point) season set for spring

Depends, how much manga content is left before we catch up at this point (also the former isn’t over yet though it might be by the time S7 starts)?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's been 80 chapters since the material that they're going to lead off with for that season, and the manga still isn't done. No loving way are they doing all that in one regular season.

The problem is, there's nowhere to break it up so uhhhhhh, welp

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My Hero Academia 7th Season Part 2

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

It's been 80 chapters since the material that they're going to lead off with for that season, and the manga still isn't done. No loving way are they doing all that in one regular season.

The problem is, there's nowhere to break it up so uhhhhhh, welp

The traitor reveal maybe (though I forget how much of a gap there is between the point where Season 6 left off and then)? Otherwise yeah, I’m not sure where they’re going to cut this one off either

Edit: Bakugo’s “death” could work I suppose

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 10, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gonna be hilarious if Bakugo is dead for a full calendar year again

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Larryb posted:

The traitor reveal maybe (though I forget how much of a gap there is between the point where Season 6 left off and then)? Otherwise yeah, I’m not sure where they’re going to cut this one off either

Edit: Bakugo’s “death” could work I suppose

The traitor reveal will be like episode 3 at latest, lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the doremi movie was an attempt to appease the mha anime character designer now that he's going to still be stuck working on nothing but mha for the next three years

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Maybe they'll do a movie of the Heartcatch Precure novel to appease him while they drag it out

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

My Hero Academia 7th Season Part 2

The situation w Bungo Stray Dogs all over again(which I wouldn't mind neccesisarily, those last few Bungo seasons were p fun)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

GateOfD posted:

Shangri-La Frontier - It is picking up from where I last watched, but like FireFighter, I keep forgetting about it. Try to push it to top of the priority list.
It might actually be worth it to wait until the show wraps up next year and binge it. The show's adapting about every last detail from the manga, and it kind of needs to for plotting purposes, but it also results in occasional episodes where not much in the way of incident happens. But if you build up a backlog and then watch it all at once, it'll probably cohere more as a story

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Yes, the show's probably bingable, though I'm handling the pacing well myself. I'm just glad I didn't wait to hear Batou's VA Akio Ootsuka singing about being a blacksmith. :allears:

haypliss posted:

Get hyped for all original anime. You should be stanning Pon no Michi and Gekkan Mousou Kagaku already.

Yes, those two are on my list of shows I will at least try out, especially something as wacky-looking as "Delusional Monthly Magazine." But I'll save my full list for the Winter Season thread that is going to need to go up in a couple of weeks.

Stink Billyum posted:

Middle-aged salaryman Sugita buys pet bird Aoi Yuuki...

Stop right there. Sold. No notes.

Doodles fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 10, 2023

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

That small Pirate Lapras arc was so nice. Pokémon Horizons is a treasure.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pootybutt posted:

That small Pirate Lapras arc was so nice. Pokémon Horizons is a treasure.

100%. Also huge props to the episode that just about all the Pokemon on the ship doing Pokemon stuff. The Shuckle is a lot of fun.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1734291689567629321?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If it's based on a novel, it's not an original movie

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Waffleman_ posted:

If it's based on a novel, it's not an original movie

It's an anime movie which hasn't been a live-action movie before.

But yeah, the word "original" doesn't really have a lot of meaning there. Every piece of media even remakes with minuscule adjustments are in some sense of the word originial.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i see that a lot so i assume theres some japanese word that shows up in these announcements that gets translated to 'original' but means something other than that it's an original work.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Probably that it's just not something tied into a TV anime like a Shonen Jump movie

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Original Video Animation

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wait a minute that's Suisei isn't it

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait a minute that's Suisei isn't it

That's her in the song yeah but it looks like the main character's VA is confirmed as Yuikawa Asaki.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got our first bit of story info on the next Precure series:

https://tokullectibles.com/collections/wonderful-precure

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NetflixAnime/status/1735494893370282228?s=20

A surprise addition to the winter season

E:
https://twitter.com/dun_meshi_en/status/1735497666233278681?t=KCFugDBadk8nvOVq3T5P2w&s=19

Dungeon Meshi Jan 4

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I don't know if I will be able to handle watching Frieren and Dungeon Meshi at once. :ohdear:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Still a bit early, but with several shows coming to a conclusion next week, I'm aiming to get the Winter 2024 season thread up by Christmas.

As usual, if you have any good thread title suggestions, please feel free to suggest them.

https://anichart.net/Winter-2024
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2024/winter

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Julias posted:

Still a bit early, but with several shows coming to a conclusion next week, I'm aiming to get the Winter 2024 season thread up by Christmas.

As usual, if you have any good thread title suggestions, please feel free to suggest them.

https://anichart.net/Winter-2024
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2024/winter

I wish i could nap until spring

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Diners, Drive-Ins, Dungeons, and Dives

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Winter 2024! A 30% Sequel Ratio Can Make This Season Feel Skippable

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't think I watched a single thing that getting a sequel next season

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Winter 2024: A Smörgĺsbord of Delicious Dungeons

Winter 2024: Fantastic Feasts and What to Fight There

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

not a good season for new adaptations but theres several good continuing ones from this season and several fun-looking originals

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is that new Shinichiro Watanabe original airing in winter or spring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Is that new Shinichiro Watanabe original airing in winter or spring?

Fall 2024