Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

He was also the original Father Mulcahy in the MASH movie - a very non-Odo role.

He has my favourite gag in the film, even. Margaret asks him how on Earth Hawkeye rose to a position of authority in the US Army. Mulcahy replies: "He was drafted."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Finally got to Masks with the kids.

It seems like this started off as a one man Brent Spiner stage show.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Ferengi chauvinism is on full display for all to see in today's episode of DS9, "Rules of Acquisition," in which we learn that Ferengi :females: aren't allowed to earn profit, learn to read or wear clothes. I know from Lower Decks that this will eventually change in the future, but it's still pretty gross seeing Quark and Rom and Zek act the way they do around women. Also, we finally get the name "Dominion" name dropped for the first time. Nothing sinister at all about that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The DS9 writers' room was pretty proud of that, actually, the first mention of the Dominion is slipped into what was usually seen as an inconsequential comedy episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dysgenesis posted:

Finally got to Masks with the kids.

It seems like this started off as a one man Brent Spiner stage show.

You're not terribly far off. Masks was made at a time in season 7 when the TNG writing staff was beyond burnt-out, so they dug a pitch out of the pile and basically said, "gently caress it, give it to Menosky," as Joe Menosky was known for writing really weird episodes. Spiner only had a few days to prepare and rehearse, so he's doing a lot of the episode off-the-cuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
To be fair when they did that the season before we got the killer “Frame of Mind” so I can’t blame them for trying again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But that episode challenged Frakes to play a single character losing himself in a fractured reality. Masks feels like Menosky looked at the pitch, went 'Brent does lots of voices and characters, let's do that!' and didn't really go any further.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I love the Brent Spiner variety hour aka Masks

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

But that episode challenged Frakes to play a single character losing himself in a fractured reality. Masks feels like Menosky looked at the pitch, went 'Brent does lots of voices and characters, let's do that!' and didn't really go any further.

Oh, I don't disagree it wasn't done nearly as well (and Frakes likely had way more time/foreknowledge on "Frame of Mind.") It's just that yeah, if you want to fill a week on Star Trek, taking one of your stronger actors and asking them to play a little one-man or one-setting ("Chain of Command, Part 2") play had done very well for the TNG staff and it's not unreasonable to try again.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 16, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Infinite Regress from, of all places, Voyager is a better instance of 'let the versatile cast member who normally shows no emotion show off', IMO.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I love the Brent Spiner variety hour aka Masks

Masks rules and masaka is waking

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gaz-L posted:

The DS9 writers' room was pretty proud of that, actually, the first mention of the Dominion is slipped into what was usually seen as an inconsequential comedy episode.

That plus the way they slowly build toward the Dominion appearing in force was really well done. We get the first mention as a throwaway, they come up a few more times as we interact with people under Dominion domination, then we finally meet them for real.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tighclops posted:

:hellyeah:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
No one ever asked for an episode where one person is obsessed with how sexy Chakotay is.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tighclops posted:

A Masks spinoff show has at least a season of potential.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

No one ever asked for an episode where one person is obsessed with how sexy Chakotay is.

*sexily* a koochie MOY-a...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Taear posted:

Yea I was assuming he'd be using an english pronunciation of it because americans always do

Really shocks me it's said the proper way

We almost never use the English pronunciation.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
"Living Witness" is like a loving catnip premise for me. I had to pause it to do family stuff right as the museum curator announced the discovery of the memory bank.

Also, Janeway with black gloves and that tight haircut is loving amazing costuming.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

A.o.D. posted:

We almost never use the English pronunciation.

Say illinois for me
or New Orleans

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

University of Notre Dame

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Detroit

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Taear posted:

or New Orleans

Na'alinz

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Taear posted:

Say illinois for me
or New Orleans

I mean, I'm from New Orleans, so I probably don't say it the way you do. I can definitely say Tchoupitoulas and Ponchartrain.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Atlas Hugged posted:

As sexy as a block of wood can be, I suppose.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You don't want to know how North Versailles and DuBois, Pennsylvania are pronounced.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sash! posted:

You don't want to know how North Versailles and DuBois, Pennsylvania are pronounced.

You should try Taliaferro County, Georgia

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Leicester, North Carolina is a fun one. Looks like "Lie-cester" (and that is how residents there pronounce it) but it's supposed to be pronounced "Lester".

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sash! posted:

It's do boys, isnt it? Is it also a Catholic community?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

"Living Witness" is like a loving catnip premise for me. I had to pause it to do family stuff right as the museum curator announced the discovery of the memory bank.

Also, Janeway with black gloves and that tight haircut is loving amazing costuming.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

As sexy as a block of wood can be, I suppose.

Was this a contractual Robert Beltran episode? At least the alien had the good sense not to fall in love with him a second time.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

davidspackage posted:

*sexily* a koochie MOY-a...

We are close to the bone of our first officer

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's the closest thing Voyager has to a mirror-universe episode.

It's also one of the Star Trek episodes that would work well as an episode of "Outer Limits" or some other anthology series.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
In today's episode of DS9, "Necessary Evil," an attempt on Quark's life ends up reopening an old murder case of Odo's which has remained unsolved for five years.

Good noir episode. Interesting to see how Odo met Quark and Kira for the first time. Also some good character moments for Rom, getting to see he's a bit sharper than most people on the station give him credit for.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

W.T. Fits posted:

In today's episode of DS9, "Necessary Evil," an attempt on Quark's life ends up reopening an old murder case of Odo's which has remained unsolved for five years.

Good noir episode. Interesting to see how Odo met Quark and Kira for the first time. Also some good character moments for Rom, getting to see he's a bit sharper than most people on the station give him credit for.

It's the best example of an inverse Flanders I can think of. Rather than taking the one trait he's known for (being a duplicitous idiot), they expanded on the more grounded reason Quark keeps him around (he's actually useful) and his character grows leaps from there.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's the best example of an inverse Flanders I can think of. Rather than taking the one trait he's known for (being a duplicitous idiot), they expanded on the more grounded reason Quark keeps him around (he's actually useful) and his character grows leaps from there.

Yea early Rom is basically a totally different character. You can KINDA say that he's just playing up to the ferengi stereotype so his brother likes him but the episodes with Ishka sorta go against that interpretation

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tighclops posted:

What is it with bridge officers and masks?! STOP TOUCHING MASKS!

Leicester, North Carolina is a fun one. Looks like "Lie-cester" (and that is how residents there pronounce it) but it's supposed to be pronounced "Lester".

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I love how by the time of Lower Decks running in to one of those archives and having your ship turned in to a mask temple was a common annoyance :allears:

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Timby posted:

You're not terribly far off. Masks was made at a time in season 7 when the TNG writing staff was beyond burnt-out, so they dug a pitch out of the pile and basically said, "gently caress it, give it to Menosky," as Joe Menosky was known for writing really weird episodes. Spiner only had a few days to prepare and rehearse, so he's doing a lot of the episode off-the-cuff.

That's interesting, I didn't know, thanks.

Arivia posted:

To be fair when they did that the season before we got the killer “Frame of Mind” so I can’t blame them for trying again.

I didn't know this either and frame of mind is my guilty pleasure episode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Frame Of Mind is genuinely good! It uses Riker's point of view to place inside his head and Frakes is really good in it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I have to say this is the first time I've watched all the way through tng for years and I have appreciated Riker as a character a lot more. Maybe because I'm a older now and understand where he is in his life a bit more.