Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

He said “That Person and That Person will fight on That Island” which is like peak Oda statementing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What does PV mean, out of interest?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

promo vid

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The One Piece is real...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1736341605332758543?t=ng-LUSegyniIrIsAhl5bvg&s=19

Preview page for the next chapter. Spoilers of course

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
christmas came early

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

mabels big day posted:

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1736341605332758543?t=ng-LUSegyniIrIsAhl5bvg&s=19

Preview page for the next chapter. Spoilers of course

official spoilers for next chapter continued "Yeah, I'm sure that's how lipstick is supposed to look!" is really quite damning of how Big Mom also applied hers lol

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

The The One Piece is real...

ftfy

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cat Machine posted:

He said “That Person and That Person will fight on That Island” which is like peak Oda statementing

Usopp and his dad will fight on elbaf, it's what the series has been leading up to this whole time

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, I would have assumed they’d wait until the series was over before remaking the anime

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
That was always my assumption too. This is extremely surprising but has me very excited.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I guess the logic is that the remake wont be able to catch up to the ending, so might as well get started now. Keep those voice actors working while they still have a good 10 years in them.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I'm going to be really surprised if they don't have to replace a voice or two, especially Franky's.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And even with the traditional Oda phrasing, it sounds like he's serious about the manga's ending being Actually Imminent

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
This is the one thing that made me believe we're ending in like 3~4 years

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Kinda wierd given that we just got an adaptation of East Blue, pre-LA I'd have been a lot more hype about this. It's Wit so I'm sure it will be well made at least.

Animation is superior to live action 99% of the time tbh imo

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Great news for sure. The remake project happening in of itself isn't surprising to me, just the timing of it. I also would have figured that it wouldn't have happened until after the original anime run had ended.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

And even with the traditional Oda phrasing, it sounds like he's serious about the manga's ending being Actually Imminent

Honestly I was sold when we left Wano, like I’m sure it’s gonna take a while to actually execute on but the amount of stuff that’s just been dropped down week after week makes it obvious we’re heading to the endgame stretch. poo poo, I kinda feel like we’re there, we started getting the God Valley backstory drip-fed in, we’re getting Kuma stuff which feels directly related to the eventual Dragon backstory, and we’re directly squaring off with an Admiral and Super Demon Celestial Dragon.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Julias posted:

Great news for sure. The remake project happening in of itself isn't surprising to me, just the timing of it. I also would have figured that it wouldn't have happened until after the original anime run had ended.

I was thinking the same thing. Very very excited for an anime remake, One Piece deserves to have a great adaptation

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
One Piece Brotherhood?

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
One Piece Nakama

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A welcome surprise.

Never thought it would happen because even cutting out all the filler that's still adapting a manga that has over 1000 chapters of material.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also considering the Netflix show survived there may come a time where we have 4 versions of One Piece running at the same time

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Also considering the Netflix show survived there may come a time where we have 4 versions of One Piece running at the same time

One Piece 4ever

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
im hootin n hollerin

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cat Machine posted:

I guess the logic is that the remake wont be able to catch up to the ending, so might as well get started now. Keep those voice actors working while they still have a good 10 years in them.

A new show has to have a new cast. They cant lean on these guys forever, and Im imagining thats probably part of the motivation to get The One Piece started

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm also interested in the fact that The OP will be an adaptation with the benefit of almost full hindsight, so I wonder if some things will be changed to better reflect or foreshadow future information. We saw a little bit of it in the live action with Shanks using Conqueror's on the sea king

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

A new show has to have a new cast. They cant lean on these guys forever, and Im imagining thats probably part of the motivation to get The One Piece started

Tell that to Dragon Ball who’s mainly been using the same cast in nearly everything since the beginning

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah that was very much Tanaka in the PV

If it's a Netflix original, the English cast will likely be different, since I don't see Crunchyroll letting an entire show's cast do a potentially union version of the same show

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 17, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm a little worried about it being a Netflix joint, they've been a little better recently but have a habit of deciding they don't want to fund things anymore.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Netflix seems to only be part of the production committee this time, and I think Shueisha has enough pull to keep them going

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah that was very much Tanaka in the PV

If it's a Netflix original, the English cast will likely be different, since I don't see Crunchyroll letting an entire show's cast do a potentially union version of the same show

Though that only seems to apply to English casts, bringing back the original actors for a Japanese Netflix series is slightly more commonplace I’ve found (the dub of the live action One Piece series for example)

On the other hand, the dub of the Shaman King reboot did bring back a lot of the 4Kids actors as I recall and the Scott Pilgrim anime had most of the movie cast reprising their roles (who I know for a fact are almost all union actors)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 17, 2023

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm a little worried about it being a Netflix joint, they've been a little better recently but have a habit of deciding they don't want to fund things anymore.

i think netflix as an anime distribution arm has a near flawless record

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

i think netflix as an anime distribution arm has a near flawless record

Not a JJBA fan huh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm gonna be honest the only major complaint I have regarding Netflix anime is the binge release model. I think otherwise they've put out more hits than misses and some of those hits hit really hard. They also seem to have mostly stopped licensing already airing TV anime in favor of more original productions, so Netflix Jail isn't even as bad as it was anymore.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Not a JJBA fan huh.

i mean you can complain all you want about timing and release schedules and hype cycles etc but netflix delivered a pretty much flawless adaptation of jjba part 6. which i would never have imagined when i was watching the duwang fansubs of part 1

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm gonna be honest the only major complaint I have regarding Netflix anime is the binge release model. I think otherwise they've put out more hits than misses and some of those hits hit really hard. They also seem to have mostly stopped licensing already airing TV anime in favor of more original productions, so Netflix Jail isn't even as bad as it was anymore.

Didn’t they fire most of their animation department a while back and now almost exclusively license other people’s work or have they started up again recently?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Larryb posted:

Though that only seems to apply to English casts, bringing back the original actors for a Japanese Netflix series is slightly more commonplace I’ve found (the dub of the live action One Piece series for example)

On the other hand, the dub of the Shaman King reboot did bring back a lot of the 4Kids actors as I recall and the Scott Pilgrim anime had most of the movie cast reprising their roles (who I know for a fact are almost all union actors)

Nah, Netflix after a certain point basically became bizarrely accommodating wrt consistently doing union dubbing and getting a lot of old actors back when possible for reboot/sequel stuff afaik, the potential problem is that Crunchyroll really, really hates union dubbing and they either might legitimately be able to stop them from working on something a seperate studio does, or be a bunch of shady petty assholes and illegitimately try to do so.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Nah, Netflix after a certain point basically became bizarrely accommodating wrt consistently doing union dubbing and getting a lot of old actors back when possible for reboot/sequel stuff afaik, the potential problem is that Crunchyroll really, really hates union dubbing and they either might legitimately be able to stop them from working on something a seperate studio does, or be a bunch of shady petty assholes and illegitimately try to do so.

Oh yeah, I forgot that One Piece is dubbed by Funimation which CR owns outright now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb posted:

Didn’t they fire most of their animation department a while back and now almost exclusively license other people’s work or have they started up again recently?

I mean, when it came to anime, it was always being outsourced to different studios.