Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Bicyclops posted:

They literally did this, lol.

I agree, though, it was an inexpensive show for them that already paired with what they do naturally (find the rights for movies to stream). Even if the numbers weren't spectacular, it feels weird that they divested of it.

Ah, yeah it's such an obvious thing that I should've known it happened. That's the problem with not having a standard TV commercial method of shoving stuff right at my brain I suppose. Or I just saw a promo like that and then forgot about it while it nested in my subconscious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NowonSA posted:

It's a shame MST3k didn't just keep on cruising along on Netflix once they picked it up because it seems like such a natural partnership and it can't have been that costly on Netflix's end. i feel like there were some cross promotion opportunities too if they just had them riff like, the first episode of Stranger Things or other Netflix originals. Or at least I don't see why something like that couldn't be done as a much shorter commercial type thing to help advertise it.

Doesn't binge well, I think the rationale went.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

There's a Mads segment where Frank is pushing a detonator and you can see it break when he uses the plunger.

There's also the Mads segment at the end of an episode where Frank (as Bobby Riggs) hits Dr. F (as Billie Jean King) in the back of the head with a tennis ball, causing him to fall forward onto the control console and push The Button. However the audio from the immediate aftermath where the entire desk falls over is present as well, which is seen in full in one of the Poopie! vids

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I also think Shout Factory is a partner in or maybe even owns Pluto. I don’t think selling episodes to Pluto would be an option.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Netflix has always had the issue of how to keep making money off a show. A new big thing will draw subscriptions and therefore revenue but it’s hard to keep up that hype and enthusiasm.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Netflix has always had the issue of how to keep making money off a show. A new big thing will draw subscriptions and therefore revenue but it’s hard to keep up that hype and enthusiasm.

Would probably help if they stopped canceling things after two seasons. No sense getting invested in a show if you know theres a high chance Netflix just axes it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

All the streamers sort of cottoned onto the fact that their best recipes were squeezing intellectual property dry and it's not like there were oceans of possibilities for spin-offs of something as niche as MST3K, I guess. Like, yes, in theory you could have infinite hosts and just turn on the "riff" version of every movie ever made but like, realistically, most of what the audience wants to consume in the space already exists.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Tom Servo's head falls off all the time. The opening skit of Zombie Nightmare is clearly Kevin and Trace improving around it.

"HEAD!!!"

Yeah that's the host segment I was thinking of earlier!

E: Thanks for remembering it, it's been driving me nuts all day long.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 18, 2023

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fight choreography by Dom DeLuise.

E: "Hey Tony, I'm bein' robbed again, can you... oh...."

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 18, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

It doesn't help that even after the strike I believe Netflix resolutely refuses to explain just how they calculate making money off a series.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Special effects by BILLY! :v:

hands down one of my all-time favorite riffs, Trace's delivery :kiss:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Freemason Rush Week posted:

hands down one of my all-time favorite riffs, Trace's delivery :kiss:

His giggling all the way through those scenes is wonderful, too.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

just watched Santa Claus...that's a weird movie. Satan is just capering around like a Batman villain and also Merlin works for Santa for some reason?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

robot roll call posted:

just watched Santa Claus...that's a weird movie. Satan is just capering around like a Batman villain and also Merlin works for Santa for some reason?

A tale as old as time!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

And now, Santa plays The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Santa flew 14 missions over North Korea.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Santa Claus, killed in Vietnam

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

NowonSA posted:

Continuing to crowdfund it again and again isn't sustainable though as was just proven.

I don't know if this is the right way to look at it. They took in $5.7 mil in 2015 and $6.5 mil in 2021, both pretty amazing numbers and with 2021 showing a healthy increase over 2015. Pulling in less than half their 2015 numbers in this most recent round isn't a basic sustainability issue imo and more a symptom of two problems: (1) a very lackluster fundraising drive and (2) at least somewhat common concerns over the quality of the show among the sort of people who are most likely to fund it. The first one can probably be fixed pretty easily now that the strikes are over, but the second one is a real issue that I haven't seen them acknowledge in any way.

Only speaking for myself here, but I'd be more than happy to keep pitching in every year or two if the new seasons were great, or at least good - and not 'fine'

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

robot roll call posted:

Is this weird enough for you, folks? How does this make you feel about Santa?

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

mexican santa is way cooler. clockwork reindeer and a sky castle and locked in mortal combat with satan

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is one of the more ambitious movies they did. It's an awful movie to be sure, but there's parts where you can see that the writer had some cool ideas.

E: "Were we just yelled at by a pork roast?"

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 19, 2023

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

https://youtu.be/SDlwoqpuJxQ?si=MixmvHAAPTOala8C

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bootleg Trunks posted:

locked in mortal combat with satan

I mean, that's technically true of all Santas, since he is a bishop

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Man, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is one of the more ambitious movies they did. It's an awful movie to be sure, but there's parts where you can see that the writer had some cool ideas.

Yeah, that one's usually considered a movie held back more by its budget than being just flat-out bad (although some of the non-Raul performances are kinda suspect.)

Is it SEXY?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Santa Claus has my wife’s all time favorite riffs. As the one little boy closes his eyes and goes to sleep, Crow whispers “he’s dead”. I had to rewind four our five times because she laughed so hard at it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, that one's usually considered a movie held back more by its budget than being just flat-out bad (although some of the non-Raul performances are kinda suspect.)

Is it SEXY?

One of the people behind Overdrawn claimed that they had a seven-figure budget for it, and also that they had to shoot on videotape instead of film, because otherwise it would have had the same budget as Blade Runner. :rolleyes:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

One of the people behind Overdrawn claimed that they had a seven-figure budget for it, and also that they had to shoot on videotape instead of film, because otherwise it would have had the same budget as Blade Runner. :rolleyes:

Unless they were running an ambitious tax scam on WNET I can't see how that could've happened.

And if they were running an ambitious tax scam I don't know why they'd admit it by saying something stupid like that.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It was a few decades after but WNET would gain a reputation for misuse of funding!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Sash! posted:

It was a few decades after but WNET would gain a reputation for misuse of funding!

I was wondering if that explained Turtle Dreams, but turns out that was WGBH Boston

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I wonder what the ratio of truly bad vs. just goofy/cheesy/low-budget/overambitious movies across the series is.

Though I guess it's subjective to a degree.

Either way I like hearing about the MSTed movies that people genuinely like. :unsmith:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I genuinely enjoy I Accuse My Parents' doofy morality tale, right down to the random but cherubic short order cook pulling Jimmy - who is very dumb - from his slide into moral decay.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
"Better give me the gun, son, you can't eat with one hand."
"Uhh, actually you can, but I'll give you the gun anyway."

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Was randomly thinking earlier of that host segment about "Is This Love?", and how many of the couples they name have since separated or divorced.

"Oh get with it, Nelson! Showbiz love is the only love that matters!"

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
"I've seen all kinds of folks come through here -- but they don't see me."

"I can read your chakras too!"

"I dreamt of your soft features."

"How do you like my swingin' church, son?"

I love I Accuse My Parents, and the Truck Farmer short too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"So long Mrs., um, Lush was it?"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wow. Thank god I'm white!

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
And that, your honor, is why I accuse my parents.

ahhhhhhhh

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm gonna build a blimp and fight the nazis!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

:cop: Here, what are you doing in a Cocteau film, boy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Maybe they should've sworn him in?