Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Lunsku posted:

Dropping in the Leckie chat to remind that The Raven Tower is really good.

Agreed. Just make sure you read the Leckie one and not that other book with the same name like some poor poster did ITT :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ToxicFrog posted:

I haven't read Dreamwalker, but I have read Magister. The basic premise is that it's a fantasy setting where magic exists, but is rarely used, because using it drains the caster's life-force, hastening their death.

Mild spoilers for the Coldfire Trilogy: this follows directly from the ending of the Coldfire Trilogy, where IIRC the fae can no longer be influenced without sacrifice.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lunsku posted:

Dropping in the Leckie chat to remind that The Raven Tower is really good.

Woulda been 5 times better without the second person narrator.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They has been a singular gender neutral pronoun for a very long time though.

Was good enough for goddamn Chaucer and Shakespeare. Good enough for us, then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Ah, I think I was getting it confused with Daughter of the Empire. I had a coworker who swore by it but said that you had to read the first Rfitwar Trilogy which wasn't as good.

I'm pretty sure Wurst or Feist even says in the preface(?) to Daughter of the Empire that reading Magician isn't necessary since it just adds additional context on some characters and events so it's a bit odd that your coworker insisted you needed to read the Riftwar books.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
American Gods (#1) by Neil Gaiman - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YW4L5K/

The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time #2) by Robert Jordan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VBV1R2/

The Wandering Earth by Cixin Liu - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QGMTFNW/

The Perdition Score (Sandman Slim #8) by Richard Kadrey - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015MOCRH2/

jaadee
May 3, 2013

pradmer posted:

... some other books...

The Perdition Score (Sandman Slim #8) by Richard Kadrey - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015MOCRH2/

I've been picking this series of books off one by one as they've gone on sale. I got the first 4 around the same time back in 2019 and it's been a long long journey since then. Too bad the only one I'm missing after purchasing the above one is #5. Will have to decide whether to give in and pay full price or stand firm to my morals and possibly never get to read #5 through #12.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sebmojo posted:

yeah it was cool, and worked fine, it wasn't a big part of the thematic payload afaict (unless I missed it). i liked how breq would sort of flail at a guess while being impressively competent at her core goal of annihilating a galactic emperor

e: LA review of Books on Translation State, seems relevant

Translation State is my favorite of the five. As much as I liked Breq, I like the characters here more, even the more alien ones. It also has some really neat Sufficiently Advanced technology. I especially like the whole "useless person becoming useful after a major upheaval of their life".

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ulmont posted:

Mild spoilers for the Coldfire Trilogy: this follows directly from the ending of the Coldfire Trilogy, where IIRC the fae can no longer be influenced without sacrifice.

It follows thematically, but there is no indication that they share a setting. Also, to be a bit pedantic: without self-sacrifice. Most intentional workings require sacrifice; it's described as "the primal pattern of Erna" in a few places. What changes is that you can no longer sacrifice someone or something else. You want magic? You have to put your life on the line for it.

ulmont posted:

Woulda been 5 times better without the second person narrator.

:mods:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Alright I finished Baxter's Manifold: Space and now need more recs for big picture, epic timescale, fate-of-humanity type of sci fi. Really liked how characters would jump through time to return to a vastly different Earth and solar system.

It was good, I liked it more than Time. Manifold: Origin appears to be universally disliked and the weird hominid stuff was the weakest part of Space so I think I'll be avoiding it. At one point in Space a fifteen year old fur-covered homo erectus girl is described by the main character as "sexy as hell" which uh, ok Baxter, don't need more of that.

House of Suns and the one Revelation Space short story with the Greenfly are other examples of what I'm looking for more of. Or Egan's Permutation City. Stuff like that?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Children of Time

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

my bony fealty posted:

Alright I finished Baxter's Manifold: Space and now need more recs for big picture, epic timescale, fate-of-humanity type of sci fi. Really liked how characters would jump through time to return to a vastly different Earth and solar system.

It was good, I liked it more than Time. Manifold: Origin appears to be universally disliked and the weird hominid stuff was the weakest part of Space so I think I'll be avoiding it. At one point in Space a fifteen year old fur-covered homo erectus girl is described by the main character as "sexy as hell" which uh, ok Baxter, don't need more of that.

House of Suns and the one Revelation Space short story with the Greenfly are other examples of what I'm looking for more of. Or Egan's Permutation City. Stuff like that?

maybe you already know it and it may not be exactly what you're looking for but there's another Reynolds book that involves Deep Time, kind of a spoiler to say which. Pushing Ice

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

my bony fealty posted:

That's like half of what Baxter writes. The Ring books are pretty good for that, especially because there is no trace of Malenfant. Grab Vacuum Diagrams and if that does it for you, you can snag the novels for more.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

It follows thematically, but there is no indication that they share a setting. Also, to be a bit pedantic: without self-sacrifice. Most intentional workings require sacrifice; it's described as "the primal pattern of Erna" in a few places. What changes is that you can no longer sacrifice someone or something else. You want magic? You have to put your life on the line for it.

The spot where this is wrong / there’s a loophole is the deliberate shift / trick of the second set of books, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ulmont posted:

The spot where this is wrong / there’s a loophole is the deliberate shift / trick of the second set of books, though.

I'm not sure what you think is "wrong" about that statement given that Magister and Coldfire are completely different settings.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

my bony fealty posted:

Half of Star-Maker by Olaf Stapledon is about the evolution of various weird alien species, and then it balloons into this enormous galactic panorama that you can't find anywhere else.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Robert Reed's Great Ship series

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

Three Body Problem trilogy aka Remembrance of Earth's Past.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

my bony fealty posted:

grassy gnoll posted:

That's like half of what Baxter writes. The Ring books are pretty good for that, especially because there is no trace of Malenfant. Grab Vacuum Diagrams and if that does it for you, you can snag the novels for more.

Extremely seconding grassy gnoll's recommendation, The Xeelee Sequence is what you're looking for.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

fez_machine posted:

Robert Reed's Great Ship series

Even though it's book 3, I'd read the great ship short stories if you aren't ready to jump into marrow

I loved the shorts, thought the full lengths were ok.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jaadee posted:

I've been picking this series of books off one by one as they've gone on sale. I got the first 4 around the same time back in 2019 and it's been a long long journey since then. Too bad the only one I'm missing after purchasing the above one is #5. Will have to decide whether to give in and pay full price or stand firm to my morals and possibly never get to read #5 through #12.

Kill City Blues is probably the last Sandman Slim book that is worth paying full price for.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

branedotorg posted:

Even though it's book 3, I'd read the great ship short stories if you aren't ready to jump into marrow

I loved the shorts, thought the full lengths were ok.

Yeah, the shorts are where the best stuff happens. Even the author's recommended reading order puts all the novels at the end and he no longer includes Marrow (preferring a reworked Marrow novella known as Marrow Redux) and The Well of Stars as in continuity.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm not sure what you think is "wrong" about that statement given that Magister and Coldfire are completely different settings.

It really feels like she started to write a sequel trilogy to Coldfire play with that idea then felt like an entirely new setting was a better way to do that since she could write whatever instead of being tied to previous worldbuilding elements.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
New offering in alternate history - a collection of LGBTQ-themed stories, hopefully a good example of divergence from the political and military focus of the genre.

https://www.amazon.com/Pride-Points-Divergence-Anthology-Alternate-ebook/dp/B0CPX8172R/

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I have a reading pattern where I alternate between trilogies/duologies and stand alones. I’ve had Old Man’s War and Forever War on my reading list forever.

I have them both marked as “trilogies”, but I think I’ve read a sentiment in this thread that at least one of them should just be read as a standalone because the rest of the trilogy is bad.

Any insight on these two and the respective series they belong to?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Megasabin posted:

I have a reading pattern where I alternate between trilogies/duologies and stand alones. I’ve had Old Man’s War and Forever War on my reading list forever.

I have them both marked as “trilogies”, but I think I’ve read a sentiment in this thread that at least one of them should just be read as a standalone because the rest of the trilogy is bad.

Any insight on these two and the respective series they belong to?

I'd say that for both of them you can just read the first book and walk away. This is especially true of The Forever War -- Forever Free was written 25 years later and is unnecessary in every way possible, and Forever Peace is unrelated to either of the first two books except for the title and being mil-SF.

I haven't read all the Old Man's War sequels, but the ones I've read have been okay but not outstanding.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That said, Forever Peace is pretty worthy in and of itself. Both the high concept and the details of executing that concept are quite solid.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

ulmont posted:

I don't think they're related. In Coldfire the basic formula established by the first settlers always required sacrifice. At the end of the series, the Patriarch used his death and the focus of the faithful to further specify that any human working now required the death of the worker as the sacrifice, rather than lesser sacrifices for lesser workings.

In Magister the magic is related to the bad bugs from across the wall. The first Magister was a guy bonded as a rider of one of the life stealing bug dragons and when his mount died he survived with the lifestealing power now lodged in him. Basically, becoming a Magister requires working with another Magister so that you can inherit the magical parasitism from them.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Just finished Children of Time. What a great, old-school sci-fi book. Big trundling generation ships, first contact, existential horror, weird science. It's got it all! I just put a hold on the sequel at my library but I'll probably just go ahead and buy the next one, haha.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

RoboCicero posted:

Just finished Children of Time. What a great, old-school sci-fi book. Big trundling generation ships, first contact, existential horror, weird science. It's got it all! I just put a hold on the sequel at my library but I'll probably just go ahead and buy the next one, haha.
Second one is almost as good as the first. It's the last one that gets weird and deviates from the pattern.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

RoboCicero posted:

It’s not the best thing I’ve ever read but it’s so frequently the answer when people come into this thread looking to scratch a particular SF itch

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Slyphic posted:

Second one is almost as good as the first. It's the last one that gets weird and deviates from the pattern.

This is kind of a good post/avatar combo!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Slyphic posted:

I didn't like the last one as much as the first two overall, but I loved the corvids and it ends extremely strong even if it is a bit of a slog to get there.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Each book was two related but distinct stories; the generation ship and the spiders, the octopuses and the monosentience alien, the corvids and the alien device.

I love 5 of those stories, and one of them yes had a satisfying ending, but I absolutely hold the process of getting there against it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
As a random thing I've been noticing - The Deed of Paksenarrion and its sequel series are the only fantasy books I've ever read that acknowledge how the characters need to visit the restroom regularly.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Slyphic posted:

Each book was two related but distinct stories; the generation ship and the spiders, the octopuses and the monosentience alien, the corvids and the alien device.

I love 5 of those stories, and one of them yes had a satisfying ending, but I absolutely hold the process of getting there against it.

See, I liked the ending of both of the stories in Memory, but only one of them felt like an enjoyable process to get there.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart by Jesse Bullington - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UGU33Q/

The Folding Knife by KJ Parker - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035IICZO/

The Rising (Alchemy Wars #2) by Ian Tregillis - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W22IMAO/

Exogene (Subterrene War #2) by TC McCarthy - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RCNGS0/

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

As a random thing I've been noticing - The Deed of Paksenarrion and its sequel series are the only fantasy books I've ever read that acknowledge how the characters need to visit the restroom regularly.

It has been [0] days since "evening found her squatting in the grass..." Or however it goes

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Strategic Tea posted:

It has been [0] days since "evening found her squatting in the grass..." Or however it goes
"visited the jacks" is the standard one lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

does Blood Meridian count as a fantasy book?