Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

NewFatMike posted:

If you’re willing to share a screen grab or just copy and paste, I’d love to see it. I’ve got a meeting with Dassault folks about the offer on Monday and haven’t gotten the email.

Sure.

Dassaut email posted:

New Subscription Pricing for
3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers

Many 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers monthly subscribers want more time to use their industry-leading 3D CAD software for personal projects.

To address this request we are thrilled to let you know that as of November 20th the price for an annual subscription of 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers for your hobbies and personal projects is just $48/year - a reduction from $99/year. Great Value for your personal projects and hobbies – at just .13cents/day.

If you love to make things, what will you make for just .13cents/day with 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers?

If you would like to continue using the monthly subscription, the price will change from $9.99 to $15.00/month. This will take effect for all new subscription from November 20, 2023. The new prices will apply to monthly renewals as of December 6th.

Learn more now about how to upgrade your monthly subscription to an annual one.

Thank you for being part of our awesome maker community. Happy making!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ayy that’s not too bad. I would not be surprised if they’re having enough of a hassle with month to month stuff that it’s worth that much of a discount for yearly.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
48/year might actually get me to set it up, even if I need to do a dumb export of projects from my work account to x_t andn reimport to the maker version.

I've tried on shape briefly and it seems nice but can't be assed learning a whole new thing for the occasional project.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

48/year might actually get me to set it up, even if I need to do a dumb export of projects from my work account to x_t andn reimport to the maker version.

I've tried on shape briefly and it seems nice but can't be assed learning a whole new thing for the occasional project.

You can pull commercial SOLIDWORKS files into the Maker Edition, just not the other way around. You’ll get your design history and everything!

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Oh gently caress yeah

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I do wish they had a way to convert, rather than canceling my renewal, then having to remember to start it up for a year on the date I need it back.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

I do wish they had a way to convert, rather than canceling my renewal, then having to remember to start it up for a year on the date I need it back.

Converting from monthly to yearly? I think if you post in the Makers Support channel you can likely get some help on that.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Huh. I just came to this thread because my $1900/yr Solidworks support contract is up.

A previous employer did the initial Solidworks buy-in. But that company is now defunct, so I was thinking about picking up the yearly support bill to keep using SW and getting updates.

OTOH, I am currently unemployed and I don't really need a $1900 bill for the holidays. But I don't want to be trapped in Maker version forever, either.

e: My latest circuit board has a complex shape. I used SW for drawing the pcb outline because KiCad's built-in graphics tools suck.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 20, 2023

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ryanrs posted:

Huh. I just came to this thread because my $1900/yr Solidworks support contract is up.

A previous employer did the initial Solidworks buy-in. But that company is now defunct, so I was thinking about picking up the yearly support bill to keep using SW and getting updates.

OTOH, I am currently unemployed and I don't really need a $1900 bill for the holidays. But I don't want to be trapped in Maker version forever, either.

The discounts are probably pretty high right now if you can keep it going

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I were doing freelance these days I would absolutely not be using SolidWorks. It's way too expensive and the company is way too user-hostile. 1900 a year is insane -- Fusion is a quarter as much (or totally free if you aren't making money with it) for exactly the same modeling functionality, and significantly better features in some areas like CAM and rendering. The only place Fusion really falls short is the advanced project management stuff, which usually doesn't matter much for a single user. Well and I also don't like the online file management but I can certainly suck it up to save $1,500 a year.

Of course, if you're a little more open-minded and don't specifically need a SolidWorks style parametric modeler, Rhino has even better modeling tools and deeper functionality than either SolidWorks or Fusion, and it's $995 one time for a permanent non-expiring commercial license.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Alibre CAD products are on deep discount — $99 for Atom 3D and $600 for Design Pro ain’t half bad for lifetime seats:

https://www.alibre.com/buy-now/

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Sagebrush posted:

Of course, if you're a little more open-minded and don't specifically need a SolidWorks style parametric modeler, Rhino has even better modeling tools and deeper functionality than either SolidWorks or Fusion, and it's $995 one time for a permanent non-expiring commercial license.

$875 from GoMeasure3d right now in their Black Friday sale. Just bought the upgrade to 8, ShrinkWrap alone is worth it for me.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

fins posted:

$875 from GoMeasure3d right now in their Black Friday sale. Just bought the upgrade to 8, ShrinkWrap alone is worth it for me.

$787.50 with coupon code BLACKFRIDAY2023 which appears to stack with the discount.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fins posted:

Didn't realize 8 was released and holy poo poo, it has an actual UV editor now. :homebrew:

drat I love Rhino

And also being a teacher bc I can get the upgrade for like 50 bucks 82 dollars!!! goddamn everything's getting expensive these days. oh well, still the best software deal in history

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 22, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamn rhino's great

raw open 3d scan mesh -> shrinkwrap -> quadremesh. literally three clicks

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Sagebrush posted:

goddamn rhino's great

raw open 3d scan mesh -> shrinkwrap -> quadremesh. literally three clicks

Yup! The previous workflow for that was painful. Pulling a useful nurbs surface after the quad remesh is a breeze.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I'm trying to wrangle a mesh body in NX right now, without a license for any real mesh tools, and that makes me sick with envy

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anybody else get the email that base commercial Fusion 360 is increasing from $490/year to $680? They duplicated a chunk of the email which is kinda funny, matches the price increase :v: :

quote:

Thank you for choosing Fusion for personal use. As a reminder, to qualify for Fusion for personal use, you must use the software for non-commercial projects only and generate less than $1,000 USD in annual revenue.

If you no longer qualify for Fusion for personal use, this email provides important operational information about Fusion commercial subscriptions.

This year at Autodesk University 2023, we further communicated the Fusion industry cloud vision where we have committed to building a future where you can unify data, technologies, and workflows across your entire organization, move seamlessly between Autodesk products, and extend your reach through 3rd party applications, partnerships, and APIs.

As a result, we are rebalancing the price of Autodesk Fusion to represent the value it delivers. Effective January 30, 2024, the annual subscription price will increase to $680 USD SRP.

If you no longer qualify for Fusion for personal use and are interested in more functionality, including recently added configurations, and fastener libraries, you should consider a Fusion commercial subscription.

If you purchase an annual subscription before January 30, 2024, you will receive a renewal price lock at the current price of $490 USD SRP until February 6, 2027. For more information about these changes, refer to the following blog post and FAQ.

If you no longer qualify for Fusion for personal use and are interested in more functionality, including recently added configurations, and fastener libraries, you should consider a Fusion commercial subscription.

For more information about these changes, refer to the following blog post and FAQ.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 1, 2023

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Corporations don't want some of the money, they want all of the money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just wanted to say that i've been working on a part for some time now and the 3d printed prototypes have just not been working properly and it turns out it's because i measured a key dimension as 35.4 mm but wrote it down as 34.5 mm before i started modeling. :dumb:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

drat Sagebrush, what’s it like being the first person in this thread to commit such an error? :shepface:

I did The Classic making features way smaller than my printer can handle a few weeks back and haven’t picked up the steam to get cracking on the project again. I’m considering waiting until I order my X1E to do a built in hinge with TPU although I guess I could just make them separate parts now…

My project is just for my flosser, though, are you doing anything cool?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Yeah, I've never done anything silly like that before. Can't imagine doing stupid poo poo like that. 😂

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

This is my current project for the kiddos FIRST robotics team. It's mostly 7th graders so we work through the design, get the intent, and show them how to model it. Ideally next year they'll be able to do more themselves.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Nice. I just got home from our qualifier last night. Going to States in 2 weeks.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

Nice. I just got home from our qualifier last night. Going to States in 2 weeks.

:hfive: We are also headed to States in two weeks. Ours is outside of Detroit. If you happen to be going to same drop me a PM.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

We'll be at Howell, yeah.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SOLIDWORKS Makers Offer updates to R2024X tomorrow, and it breaks compatibility with old 3D Connexion Spacemouse gear. They updated the drivers just yesterday and it should fix that:

https://3dconnexion.com/uk/drivers-application/3dxware-10/

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Apparently, Slack also attaches to one of the installed font files, which makes it unable to do the uninstallation of the existing version for the update.

A nebulous error message about Office is all it gave me.

Rebooted and tried again, this time, the uninstallation failed... less? and it started to attempt the install. That's where it told me it can't install into a non-empty SOLIDWORKS 3DEXPERIENCE folder.

I deleted it, and it failed because Slack had that font open for whateverthefuck reason.

Installation is going now.

If it had told me slack had the file open instead of the dumbshit error it gave me, it would have saved me about 20 minutes.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Just after I finished a big weldment frame I spent some time learning the Frame toolset on OnShape. I feel like what I spent 3 days doing I could have had done in like 1 hour. Having an auto generated cut list is so awesome. Don't be like me, use the Frame tool.

(Not the project, but my learning junkpile)

bred
Oct 24, 2008
My coworker sent me this deal on 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers. $38.40 for a year so I think I'll give it a try. I've been happy using onshape at home but last weekend I got hung up drawing a sword and realized I could do this so much faster in SW. My home time is so precious these days.

It is available December 17, 2023 to January 7, 2024.
https://discover.solidworks.com/3dexperience-solidworks-makers-EOY23

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Maybe the sword is only meant to be drawn by the rightful ruler of Albion. I don’t see how Solidworks will help you with that.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

bred posted:

My coworker sent me this deal on 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers. $38.40 for a year so I think I'll give it a try. I've been happy using onshape at home but last weekend I got hung up drawing a sword and realized I could do this so much faster in SW. My home time is so precious these days.

It is available December 17, 2023 to January 7, 2024.

That's perfect, it's right in my renewal window.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SOLIDWORKS Makers Offer is on discount for $38.40/year through January 7th for everyone in case that other link is outside your renewal window:

E: lol I thought the other link expired sooner, this one just landed in my inbox :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

My project is just for my flosser, though, are you doing anything cool?

It's pretty obscure but I think it's cool, yeah.

I've got an old Husvarna 6440 sewing machine from the 1970s. It has no electronics other than some capacitors and diodes for the motor, but it has a really fascinating system of "programming" different stitch patterns using interchangeable cams in the back, which they called the "Colormatic" system. The patterns are in the colored legend on that strip on the front.

The cams look like this, and they are plugged onto a shaft on the back of the machine.

There are two cam followers inside the machine. One is for left-right needle position, and the other is for stitch length and direction. As the cam rotates, the followers track the profiles and move the needle and fabric around appropriately. Each cam block has four different patterns on it, and a knob on the front moves the cam in and out to select between them. Turning the knob to "blue" selects the first pair of cams, and hence the blue pattern marked on that block.

As far as I can find out, there were ten different cams available, for 40 stitch patterns (plus straight and zigzag, which the machine can do with no cam installed). Most of the machines came with four or six of them; I have six. Apparently the sales pitch at the time was that these sewing machines would never be out of date, because if anyone invented a new sort of stitch, they could just make a new cam for it! Which is a little :rolleye: since there are only a few really practical patterns, and the rest are kind of gimmicky and only used for occasional decorative work. And of course they didn't actually end up making more cams going forward, because the 1980s came along and so did electronic machines. The 6690 here was their first microprocessor-controlled machine, and you can clearly see the family resemblance.

So you can probably see where this is going.

My machine works great. I have repaired and restored and lubricated and and tuned it up and it is a lovely cast-iron workhorse. But it is annoyingly missing one feature: you can't set the needle position manually. The needle bar moves back and forth, of course, because it is a zigzag machine, but there's no way to just lock it to the right side, for instance, so that I can stitch closer to the edge of a thin piece. Pretty much all modern machines let you set the needle at least to left, center, and right of the zigzag, and usually to a range of positions in between.

I realized that since the cam controls the needle position, it should be possible to make a custom cam with one constant radius that keeps the needle in the same spot. I might be able make a block with a pair of cams on it, one to move the needle to the left and another to move it right.

So I did that. Took measurements from the existing cams (looking at the stitch pattern and inferring which parts of the profile were making which parts of the stitch), made a simpler more 3D-printable version, and it worked perfectly! In fact, it turned out to be smoothly variable -- I can set my cam to either the left or right side, and then dial in the distance from center with the zigzag width knob. Hooray!

The very bottom of the block, with the slightly smaller radius, is one "cam", and the ring that sticks out is the other. Everything above that is neutral and just leaves the needle in the center:

Then I got ambitious. I decided to try to figure out how the whole cam system worked, not just the needle position, so that I could possibly make my own new stitches from scratch. Spent a lot of time drawing out profiles and printing test cams, but eventually figured out the proper spacing and phasing for the lobes so that everything was properly timed (you can't move the needle while it's in the fabric, and you can't change the stitch length while the dogs are raised) and I was able to get my own first basic stitch working. It wasn't the pattern I intended, lol, but it was a pattern and nothing broke or collided or jammed.

So finally I figured -- maybe I'm just making errors when I do the math by hand, and also building these profiles with a calculator and the measuring tools is a big pain in the rear end. What if I made a Grasshopper program to generate the cams automatically from a drawing of the stitch I wanted?

And that's where I am now:

All I have to do is draw the pattern I want, as a polyline with a point for each needle insertion -- making sure that it has either 3, 6, 9 or 18 stitches before it repeats -- and load it into grasshopper, and it takes the line apart and generates the lobe geometry and builds it into a three-dimensional cam. Then I just set a slider for whether I want this cam to be in position 1, 2, 3 or 4 and click a button and it pops out in that location on the bare cam block shell. Do that four times, export to slicer, print, and stitch away :madmax:

At least that's the theory! The stitches are still a little distorted because of that numerical transposition error, and because I'm fine-tuning the print scaling and such...there is no documentation of the nominal values, and the printer is only accurate to +/- about 0.1mm or so laterally, which is enough to make a visible difference in the stitch. But it does work! Here is the first attempt at making that Greek key pattern that you can see under the two blue cams in the screenshot.

No time to work on it until the new year, but I'm gonna keep at it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 19, 2023

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
That is incredibly cool

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sagebrush posted:

I've got an old Husvarna 6440 sewing machine from the 1970s. It has no electronics other than some capacitors and diodes for the motor, but it has a really fascinating system of "programming" different stitch patterns using interchangeable cams in the back, which they called the "Colormatic" system. The patterns are in the colored legend on that strip on the front.

The cams look like this, and they are plugged onto a shaft on the back of the machine.

There are two cam followers inside the machine. One is for left-right needle position, and the other is for stitch length and direction. As the cam rotates, the followers track the profiles and move the needle and fabric around appropriately. Each cam block has four different patterns on it, and a knob on the front moves the cam in and out to select between them. Turning the knob to "blue" selects the first pair of cams, and hence the blue pattern marked on that block.

As far as I can find out, there were ten different cams available, for 40 stitch patterns (plus straight and zigzag, which the machine can do with no cam installed). Most of the machines came with four or six of them; I have six. Apparently the sales pitch at the time was that these sewing machines would never be out of date, because if anyone invented a new sort of stitch, they could just make a new cam for it! Which is a little :rolleye: since there are only a few really practical patterns, and the rest are kind of gimmicky and only used for occasional decorative work. And of course they didn't actually end up making more cams going forward, because the 1980s came along and so did electronic machines. The 6690 here was their first microprocessor-controlled machine, and you can clearly see the family resemblance.

My machine works great. I have repaired and restored and lubricated and and tuned it up and it is a lovely cast-iron workhorse. But it is annoyingly missing one feature: you can't set the needle position manually. The needle bar moves back and forth, of course, because it is a zigzag machine, but there's no way to just lock it to the right side, for instance, so that I can stitch closer to the edge of a thin piece. Pretty much all modern machines let you set the needle at least to left, center, and right of the zigzag, and usually to a range of positions in between.

I realized that since the cam controls the needle position, it should be possible to make a custom cam with one constant radius that keeps the needle in the same spot. I might be able make a block with a pair of cams on it, one to move the needle to the left and another to move it right.

So I did that. Took measurements from the existing cams (looking at the stitch pattern and inferring which parts of the profile were making which parts of the stitch), made a simpler more 3D-printable version, and it worked perfectly! In fact, it turned out to be smoothly variable -- I can set my cam to either the left or right side, and then dial in the distance from center with the zigzag width knob. Hooray!

The very bottom of the block, with the slightly smaller radius, is one "cam", and the ring that sticks out is the other. Everything above that is neutral and just leaves the needle in the center:

Then I got ambitious. I decided to try to figure out how the whole cam system worked, not just the needle position, so that I could possibly make my own new stitches from scratch. Spent a lot of time drawing out profiles and printing test cams, but eventually figured out the proper spacing and phasing for the lobes so that everything was properly timed (you can't move the needle while it's in the fabric, and you can't change the stitch length while the dogs are raised) and I was able to get my own first basic stitch working. It wasn't the pattern I intended, lol, but it was a pattern and nothing broke or collided or jammed.

So finally I figured -- maybe I'm just making errors when I do the math by hand, and also building these profiles with a calculator and the measuring tools is a big pain in the rear end. What if I made a Grasshopper program to generate the cams automatically from a drawing of the stitch I wanted?

All I have to do is draw the pattern I want, as a polyline with a point for each needle insertion -- making sure that it has either 3, 6, 9 or 18 stitches before it repeats -- and load it into grasshopper, and it takes the line apart and generates the lobe geometry and builds it into a three-dimensional cam. Then I just set a slider for whether I want this cam to be in position 1, 2, 3 or 4 and click a button and it pops out in that location on the bare cam block shell. Do that four times, export to slicer, print, and stitch away :madmax:

At least that's the theory! The stitches are still a little distorted because of that numerical transposition error, and because I'm fine-tuning the print scaling and such...there is no documentation of the nominal values, and the printer is only accurate to +/- about 0.1mm or so laterally, which is enough to make a visible difference in the stitch. But it does work! Here is the first attempt at making that Greek key pattern that you can see under the two blue cams in the screenshot.

This is very cool and I'm surprised that you post in the sewing thread and didn't post it there too! I feel like there's not a lot of crossover between these but there's you and I so what do I know.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

This is amazing. I feel like an SLA printer might be great for this. As would a CMM, lol.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Oh gently caress yes, love me some textile nerd poo poo. Also because the circle from Jacquard looms to 3D designing and printing cams is just delish.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

That extremely rules. The more the coffee seeps into my brain wrinkles the more I’m totally blown away.

If you’re willing to share the Grasshopper chart when you’re done, I’d love to see it! I’m playing with a similar tool from Dassault. I’ve managed to get isogrids working pretty well, but grasshopper projects are basically the best way to figure out xGenerative Design :v:.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

This is so cool! My mom had one of those when I was a kid. I remember playing with the cams and she'd give me a :gowron: look. There's probably a good chance she still has them, I can bring it up at the holidays if you're looking for more.