Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

deimos posted:

With 20 of them that's 9-28ish KWh a day, that will be noticed, doesn't matter where you live.

He's clearing $25k some months with a $30 increase. Notice, yes. Care? Not likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

NomNomNom posted:

Wanted to share this print: https://makerworld.com/en/models/93385#profileId-99778

I'm halfway through printing the parts. Just in awe of the design work that went into this one, the tolerances on everything are simply perfect for easy assembly.

Holy crap, this looked like fun for my nieces and nephew so I did the "import into bambu studio" workflow for the first time. I've been sort of anti-that sort of thing, preferring to set up my own prints but hey why not give it a shot. It's doing sequential printing for multi color! That is extremely rad to have Just Work in the slicer. I've done it before but it was always high-paranoia printing.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

...I did the "import into bambu studio" workflow for the first time. I've been sort of anti-that sort of thing...

I've only very recently started to warm up to that whole idea myself, but so far nothing untoward has happened. I'd like it a lot better if it didn't blow away my AMS mapping every time I load something new up. Getting used to it though, that's really only a couple of clicks to fix and not such a big deal in the grand scheme.

In other news, I watched one too many review videos last night and ordered an A1 because I have poor impulse control.

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 17, 2023

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Nerobro posted:

If you've got 20 printers you're not complaining about the power use of your printer. Nor are you going to be the type who is trying to save power.

AlexDeGruven posted:

He's clearing $25k some months with a $30 increase. Notice, yes. Care? Not likely.

You both are dense motherfuckers. Sagebrush was asking queeb a direct question about queeb's specific scenario (my guess is out of curiosity) and you're arguing semantics of energy savings propaganda?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Hypnolobster posted:

Holy crap, this looked like fun for my nieces and nephew so I did the "import into bambu studio" workflow for the first time. I've been sort of anti-that sort of thing, preferring to set up my own prints but hey why not give it a shot. It's doing sequential printing for multi color! That is extremely rad to have Just Work in the slicer. I've done it before but it was always high-paranoia printing.

Oh snap, I didn't even realize it was set for "by object", I thought it was going to switch color every layer so I printed separate plates. I got it all assembled this morning and it works great!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Google Butt posted:

Unboxed my a1, got it printing in 20 minutes, immediately printed a benchy with 0 tweaking and then started a 4 hour print at Sport speed. Amazing.

What are the differences and use cases for the nozzles that are available for it? I'm going to do a filament order and I think I'll add one to play with.

.6 nozzle is great for abrasive filaments as it doesn't clog as easily as a .4 nozzle with like glow in the dark/glitter/silk/etc type filaments. I've also found it prints easier than a .4 nozzle and the detail is all but unnoticeable on most prints.

I've moved all my printers to .6 nozzles except for the new X1C I just got as I'm just waiting for the .4 to wear out then I have a .6 on hand I'll swap over.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
After hemming and hawing for ages, I finally got my resin 3D printer (an Elegoo Saturn 2) set up and running. This workflow is so much different and more involved than what I'm used to, coming from an Ender 3 V2 with OctoPrint that I've been running for a few years now, but I finished my first test print last night (that wasn't the included test file), and the quality is definitely worth the effort.

I've still got some learning to do with wrapping my head around how to prep files for print for resin vs FDM, but I'm pretty excited for the things I'll be able to make.

I still want to upgrade my FDM printer to one of those new-fangled ones that are much bigger and faster, but now I kind of want to get another smaller resin printer just to have that for smaller prints.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I saw this dude have some good looking success with a 0.2mm nozzle on his X1C. It’s slower than resin, but you can do larger prints.

https://youtu.be/_FpQatNTR5Q?si=IL7Hg8i9_97jik66

Zortrax sell a vapor smoother for $6,200 but at that rate I’d just buy a Formlabs machine and save a bunch of money.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

My father has been all excited about this documentary on 3D printing, and finally got me to watch the beginning of it. It opens with this breathless techbro optimism about changing the world. Everyone kept throwing around the name Steve Jobs. It finally settles in to start in like 1998 with the creation of MakerBot. I was like, are they not even going to mention RepRap? Dad was like, what's RepRap?

I walked off at that point.

1/7 stars

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NewFatMike posted:

Zortrax sell a vapor smoother for $6,200 but at that rate I’d just buy a Formlabs machine and save a bunch of money.

How is their vapor smoother significantly different from a big glass jar on a hot plate with a quarter inch of acetone in the bottom

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

How is their vapor smoother significantly different from a big glass jar on a hot plate with a quarter inch of acetone in the bottom

It’s the same size as most build plates, and it’s automated. Really intended for low production commercial/custom jobs than hobbyists.

It uses a nebulizer and condenser to reclaim solvent like the big boy post processing devices, but it costs four figures instead of five :v:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

deimos posted:

You both are dense motherfuckers. Sagebrush was asking queeb a direct question about queeb's specific scenario (my guess is out of curiosity) and you're arguing semantics of energy savings propaganda?

I'll take that. I missed the context.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Nerobro posted:

It really just points a light on how little most people actually know about what uses power in their house.

I see what you did there.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I just realized that with Klipper's web interface, I can check progress from my phone! This is awesome.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009
Moment where I’m glad that u have the Bambu. My Ender had a 1d print and was about 8 hours from finishing and when I came in to check on it, the print head was frozen and the screen was displaying the normal “I’m ready to print” interface.

I have no idea what happened. I didnt lose power, had plenty of filament… oh well.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

mrbass21 posted:

Moment where I’m glad that u have the Bambu. My Ender had a 1d print and was about 8 hours from finishing and when I came in to check on it, the print head was frozen and the screen was displaying the normal “I’m ready to print” interface.

I have no idea what happened. I didnt lose power, had plenty of filament… oh well.

Likely an SD card issue. At least that's what it was for me when I'd just come back to half a print with the printer eager to go again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Welp. No more Voron for me. Just the P1S. Happy with the trade, but it'd be nice if they came out with a bigger one.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Sagebrush posted:

I remember looking into it a few years ago, don't remember all the details but I THINK it really just came down to safety/sealed operation, and repeatability/consistency.

Pretty spendy but I guess not so much if you want to ensure regular consistent results without babysitting? I mean, having to junk a batch of parts due to inconsistent vapor smoothing is a huge waste so late in the production pipeline.

I feel like there was some other thing as well. Maybe what solvents it can use? Dang this is going to bug me.

E:

NewFatMike posted:

It uses a nebulizer and condenser to reclaim solvent like the big boy post processing devices

Oh yeah, I think that was the part I was missing.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 18, 2023

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
So my bambu ams is starting to those a lot of "error pulling filament" and "overloaded motor " messages.

I did notice the section of ptfe tube inside the printer going to the toolhead had a split so I replaced it, but I moved the loops around to try and make a smoother transit, but something must be holding up the path and causing the higher current draw

If I bypass the ams and run the spool from the fixed back holder, everything is just fine, even though it's going through the same ams slot . I printed the new toolhead loop thing, but has anyone solved this so far?

My next step is to disassemble the ams and make sure that tubing is correct, but it's getting very frustrating having reprints needing constant attention. Any other things to look at?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Make sure You're using the ptfe tube mod for the top of your print head.

https://www.printables.com/model/338073-bambu-x1-ptfe-extruder-bracket-ams-error-fix

And make sure your filament rolls aren't weird.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NomNomNom posted:

Wanted to share this print: https://makerworld.com/en/models/93385#profileId-99778

I'm halfway through printing the parts. Just in awe of the design work that went into this one, the tolerances on everything are simply perfect for easy assembly.

I tried this twice in PETG and could not get it to work at all. The X1C couldn't do the tolerances.

It went way easier when I switched to PLA but I can't get the thing to fly more than a few inches off the launcher. Likely a skill issue.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

In a problem-solving first, the solution was to add lube

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Roundboy posted:

So my bambu ams is starting to those a lot of "error pulling filament" and "overloaded motor " messages.

I did notice the section of ptfe tube inside the printer going to the toolhead had a split so I replaced it, but I moved the loops around to try and make a smoother transit, but something must be holding up the path and causing the higher current draw

If I bypass the ams and run the spool from the fixed back holder, everything is just fine, even though it's going through the same ams slot . I printed the new toolhead loop thing, but has anyone solved this so far?

My next step is to disassemble the ams and make sure that tubing is correct, but it's getting very frustrating having reprints needing constant attention. Any other things to look at?

Is this happening with plastic spools or cardboard spools?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Tiny Timbs posted:

I tried this twice in PETG and could not get it to work at all. The X1C couldn't do the tolerances.

It went way easier when I switched to PLA but I can't get the thing to fly more than a few inches off the launcher. Likely a skill issue.

I printed one set of the gears in abs, one in petg, and one in pla just for kicks. All worked great, but for the petg I've modified the default profile to be much slower, like 50%. Too fast and the molten filament doesn't fuse to the previous layer.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've dropped speed and acceleration significantly in my PETG profile but it's probably worth taking another look

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

mattfl posted:

Is this happening with plastic spools or cardboard spools?

Both. Until the last few prints, any errors were from either a spool getting to the end or a tangle in the spool winding.

Now I can print from spool 1 and expect a 10h print to take 24 because of all the purges and pullbacks, and waiting for me to hit 'retry' (and I'm never notified of these reported big in the app)

I had some abs printing from spool 3, no problem, and now from the back holder as the spool is slightly too thick. I think it's limited to spool 1 and 2 and I'll take it all apart to check the internal tubing

Manually feeding for the back spool I didn't feel any crazy resistance pushing to the toolhead, so it's likely ams based a bit in the back burner until I clean off an spot and disassemble the voron for new parts and a long overdue overhaul of the motion system

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Are you using rings on the cardboard spools?

That stuff will jam up the AMS just from dust.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Bondematt posted:

Are you using rings on the cardboard spools?

That stuff will jam up the AMS just from dust.

I've printed several and it's been worse. I have never had a cardboard spool cause a problem (except when nearly done). I had the ams open to remove a jam a while ago and blew it all out, and no cardboard dust found

I think this is a tube path issue, or a broken tube

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Roundboy posted:

I've printed several and it's been worse. I have never had a cardboard spool cause a problem (except when nearly done). I had the ams open to remove a jam a while ago and blew it all out, and no cardboard dust found

I think this is a tube path issue, or a broken tube

The spool itself doesn't cause the problem, it'll print just fine short term. The dust jams up the gears.

If it's only been a handful of spools, I doubt that's your problem. Have you inspected the gears?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
As a side question, are you printing rings made for your particular filament maker? Some of them are a little different and may not fit the ones you have already. I went out of my way to look for ones made for Inland filament since I shop for filament mostly at MIcro Center and I haven't had an issue with mine.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

As a side question, are you printing rings made for your particular filament maker? Some of them are a little different and may not fit the ones you have already. I went out of my way to look for ones made for Inland filament since I shop for filament mostly at MIcro Center and I haven't had an issue with mine.

I just got a generic ring and scale it to the size of the hole. I can do this accurately because I own calipers. :c00lbutt:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

cruft posted:

I just got a generic ring and scale it to the size of the hole. I can do this accurately because I own calipers. :c00lbutt:

My calipers don't go that big for what I think everyone else is talking about.

https://www.printables.com/model/434382-inland-and-overture-spool-outer-ring-adapter

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

8-bit Miniboss posted:

https://www.printables.com/model/434382-inland-and-overture-spool-outer-ring-adapter

I got a 12 incher :smug:

Surprising how often I've used them now that I have them.

I mean it's mostly scribing lines in my wall for hanging stuff...but still.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh, yeah, I forgot outer ring filament holders exist.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Bondematt posted:

I got a 12 incher :smug:

Surprising how often I've used them now that I have them.

I mean it's mostly scribing lines in my wall for hanging stuff...but still.

My big 10 inch... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm5Q4K-M1Qw

Speaking of tools, I used my V0 as a non-3dp tool last night. I used it to cook my daughters phone so I could replace the back glass. Perfect use of a heat bed.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I printed some of these, but they rub the top of my AMS lid. I just printed a good respooler and respool any cardboard filament.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I specifically printed the ones made by polyterra because i had a couple dozen spools for them. I also printed the bambu made one, and some other 3rd party. The biggest difference is that polyterrra has some rounded rectangle section on the spool you can slot into, whereas the rest were just outer slip on. Either way i just never bothered.

And to answer the other question, my other next step is to actually look at all the gears to see what is up. Right now im tuning some abs to stop lifting off the sheet and look nice, and get my voron in order, then i can circle back around to bambu

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is there a big difference between orca and Bambu slicer, or any noticeable pros/cons of using one over the other if I'm using a bambu printer?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Orca is Bambu with more stuff bolted on, use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

SubNat posted:

Orca is Bambu with more stuff bolted on, use that.

Copy that! I stumbled on that filament calibration guide using Orca, so I'll give that a try.