Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

rojay posted:

You've already gotten good advice, but I'd throw in a Japanese gardening knife. The one I have cost around $25 and it's really useful. This is the one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/Nisaku-NJP65...115&sr=8-5&th=1

Good luck.
These are really great gifts and so useful. I have my grandfather's and have one of my own I keep in the car-they're the one tool I pretty much always have on my belt when I'm gardening. Great for dividing stuff, planting bulbs, cutting roots, cutting sod, sticking in the ground and tying a string to to make a straight line, a little rough pruning, etc etc etc etc. I don't have a stainless one but my carbon steel one is sharp af and one chop will break up a clump of agapanthus easy peasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hello Gardening thread,

Does this thread ever talk about hydroponics? Last night I came across the very simple Kratky method, which is basically putting plants in a covered bucket of water and leaving them until their done. No pumps or air bubblers required. I don't do much gardening myself but I do make my own kimchi and would like to grow napa cabbage for it. My gf had some growing in the yard this year but they got ravaged by every pest imaginable. The Kratky method seems simple (good for me because I suck at gardening) and can be done to some degree indoors, which makes pest control easier.

Anyone have any experience with the method?

ickna
May 19, 2004

Count Roland posted:

Hello Gardening thread,

Does this thread ever talk about hydroponics? Last night I came across the very simple Kratky method, which is basically putting plants in a covered bucket of water and leaving them until their done. No pumps or air bubblers required. I don't do much gardening myself but I do make my own kimchi and would like to grow napa cabbage for it. My gf had some growing in the yard this year but they got ravaged by every pest imaginable. The Kratky method seems simple (good for me because I suck at gardening) and can be done to some degree indoors, which makes pest control easier.

Anyone have any experience with the method?

Yes! Leafy green stuff grows really well with it. I ended up doing two net pots in opposing corners of plastic shoeboxes for my indoor lettuce farm, and it works a treat. I suggest getting a cheap EC meter to get your nutrient concentration dialed in, I didn’t see great results until I figured out that I had been way under-dosing the maxigro. Don’t bother with the purple/pink “grow light” stuff, get the cheap 5K white LED shop lights from your local big box home store, the whites these days have all the spectrum the plants need and are much easier on the eyes.

You can also usually get one half-refill of the tank after the roots have drained it completely, but don’t get too greedy because the roots at the top tend to rot if they get submerged again.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cool, good to see others here are into it.

Before I jump right into cabbage, I'm wondering if I should start with something smaller and easier. Like an herb maybe? Or lettuce seems very popular for this method. Something with a quick turnaround so I can learn from my mistakes and dial in a bit of a process. Any suggestions on a super-simple* starting version?

*to me simple means avoiding actual garden stuff. Buying an EC or pH meter and preparing solutions is science-y stuff which I'm quite comfortable with

ickna
May 19, 2004

Count Roland posted:

Cool, good to see others here are into it.

Before I jump right into cabbage, I'm wondering if I should start with something smaller and easier. Like an herb maybe? Or lettuce seems very popular for this method. Something with a quick turnaround so I can learn from my mistakes and dial in a bit of a process. Any suggestions on a super-simple* starting version?

*to me simple means avoiding actual garden stuff. Buying an EC or pH meter and preparing solutions is science-y stuff which I'm quite comfortable with

Lettuce let me iterate through the learning process really quickly. Mint and basil worked well too.
I did grow a head of cabbage with the same setup once, but only used one plant per shoebox.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What is up with this plant? Brand new shoot came out just a week back, it was healthy and green. Now it's turning black? What gives. It's not being overwatered or underwatered, the soil is damp as per my hygrometer which has proven itself to be accurate. Is this an infection?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It's been about 10 days and my second pepper seed tray hasn't germinated yet. :argh:

Should I run out a buy a little heater pad for them? I didn't use one for my first tray and those seeds all look just fine. Alternatively, I have a little Vornado heater fan I can sit them in front of.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
ive had good luck germinating seeds on a cheap heating pad

id be worried a fan would dry everything out too quickly

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I never have trouble just germinating on top of the refrigerator where it is warm. Not that I’m saying that’s best practice or anything.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

freeedr posted:

I never have trouble just germinating on top of the refrigerator where it is warm. Not that I’m saying that’s best practice or anything.

I have germinated peppers on a high shelf in my utility room (which has the water heater and clothes dryer). If it's dumb and it works, it's not that dumb...

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

It's been about 10 days and my second pepper seed tray hasn't germinated yet. :argh:

Should I run out a buy a little heater pad for them? I didn't use one for my first tray and those seeds all look just fine. Alternatively, I have a little Vornado heater fan I can sit them in front of.

If you want to consistently germinate peppers, you should have a heating pad and a way to cover them while they sprout. You can hack up a bunch of different ways to do it, but it’s the most reliable and least hassle to do it in dirt with a heating pad and way to keep humidity in the soil.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Amy suggestions on good sites to buy Northern California wildflowers from, particular CA poppies?

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Good luck not getting CA poppies in any wildflower mix you buy.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This is what my garden looks like right now:

The middle garlic is volunteer that I noticed too late to transplant. The whole garden gets full sun and is well drained, although the far right gets a touch earlier shade in the evening than the left end.

I want to plant an asparagus bed, would the far right be a good spot for it? Deer tend to come from that direction but not too bad. Would a single 15' row be plenty for a family of three?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

This is what my garden looks like right now:

The middle garlic is volunteer that I noticed too late to transplant. The whole garden gets full sun and is well drained, although the far right gets a touch earlier shade in the evening than the left end.

I want to plant an asparagus bed, would the far right be a good spot for it? Deer tend to come from that direction but not too bad. Would a single 15' row be plenty for a family of three?

It would probably be enough in about 5 years.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Looking for some advice as the internet is all over the place with suggestions.

I'm growing some Romain lettuce, Jericho specifically. Which is supposed to be a more heat tolerant version. It's still younger and small about 2 weeks from the expected harvest time. I wanted to try some so popped off an outside leaf to try. It is bitter. Taking me back to the cucumbers I attempted last year.

This week has been warmer than usually hitting about 79f a couple of days and nights in upper 40s low 50s , the plants are in grown on drip schedule for every other day at the moment.

I'm wondering is this the heat? The fact it's small and young or what? Suggestions?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got a few plant catalogues in the mail in an attempt to get me to buy a bunch of christmas plant dna. What's a good seed seller since I don't wanna use baker creek

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've been very happy with Johnny's Selected Seeds. For herbs, I like Artistic Gardens/Le Jardin de Gourmet. Yes, the website is straight out of 1995, why do you ask?

I've been less and less impressed by Renee's Gardens: poor germination.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Seconding Johnny's. I've used them personally and when I worked for an urban farm a few years back they were the only seller we used. I've had consistent germination rates with what they list on their website.

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 19, 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

PokeJoe posted:

I got a few plant catalogues in the mail in an attempt to get me to buy a bunch of christmas plant dna. What's a good seed seller since I don't wanna use baker creek

I've never been anything other than happy with Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and their gnome-heavy catalog is always lovely. Their range is pretty tailored to growing conditions in the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast U.S. though. The Lahman pink tomatoes I got from them last year were probably my favorite thing I grew.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Johnny's, Southern Exposure, Territorial for general purpose. Kitazawa for Asian food crops and Select Seed for flowers.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Wild boar farms for some whacky and interesting tomato varietals. Botanical interests is probably the best large-scale seed company that doesn’t cater to commercial or market growers like Johnny’s IMO.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I ordered from Victory Seeds this year since they carry a ton of stuff from the Dwarf Tomato Project. Shipping and delivery was lightning fast (as in I ordered my seeds last Thursday and got them on Monday). They do lean into the anti-GMO thing a bit, but no Bundys in the closet that I am aware of...

e: I have been happy with Seed Savers Exchange in the past

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 19, 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Anyone have any sage advice for growing beets? I put them in every year and I just get consistently sparse and small beetroot. Trying to pare down my list this year and debating ditching beets for more marigolds or herbs.

Should I presoak seeds? Is it a matter of watering less often but more deeply to encourage a bigger root system? Are they like carrots where they require crazy loose, sandy soil? I've tried detroits and cylindra's, maybe I should just shoot for a bigger variety...

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've had really good luck with beets in loose, rich compost (Black Kow) with waterings every other day on hot days. It's also important to thin them as they respond negatively to crowding.

I also tend to keep them covered with insect cloth until they're really established, and only when there's a relatively mature looking plant will I remove the cloth (at which point the leaves get destroyed), though I'm not sure how much of an impact this has on beet size.

kedo fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 19, 2023

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Make sure you're not throwing nitrogen at the beets; they'll be encouraged to grow leaves instead of roots.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I haven't tested it but beets like ash, apparently.

I can't remember the content - will watch it later actually - but Red gardens has a beet video.

https://youtu.be/Vyq6c0HS68M?si=tMUMN2tD_6olundC

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Tell me about your experience with self watering planters from 5 gallon buckets. Thinking about experimenting with them for figs (already in 5 gal buckets) and maybe some dwarf tomatoes (rather than grow bags). The main objective is to cut down how much I need to manually water in our summer heat, especially if I want to go away for a long weekend and not come back to stressed or fried plants.

I was thinking about moving away from peat this year and using coconut coir, but some sources indicate it doesn't wick well enough to move water up 12+".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ridiculous seed complaint.

I dislike color-mixed seeds. I want (say) the carmine in your cosmos mix, but you aren't selling it separately. It's worse for some flowers, where none of the individual colors are sold separately.

On the other hand...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Soul Dentist posted:

Johnny's, Southern Exposure, Territorial for general purpose. Kitazawa for Asian food crops and Select Seed for flowers.
I've had good luck with Southern Exposure as well, and have used Kitazawa for years.

I'll add that this past year was the first year I got seeds from Kitazawa since the sale/buyout/whatever it was to True Leaf. And I didn't notice any decline in seed quality. They seem to be dropping the old Kitazawa packaging and replacing everything with generic white cardboard sleeves with a sticker indicating what's inside. Which is a bit of a decline quality-wise. But eh, not like I spend a lot of time staring at the packaging anyway.

I'll also add the caveat that I've gotten a lot of various stuff from Kitazawa over the years, but this past year it was mostly just greens (because I save seeds and propagate most of the other stuff, so only buy new seeds for most things if something went seriously wrong the prior growing season).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I skipped Kitazawa last year because they mixed in all the other company’s seeds top in the browsing results. I also sent them feedback about the decline in website quality. It’s disappointing because they had been such a high quality experience with seeds. I hope they’ve fixed some of these things before I order in a month or two.

E: They clearly did not care that their website is now terrible. It is still terrible.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 20, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kitazawa took forever to ship my seeds last year.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Discussion Quorum posted:

Tell me about your experience with self watering planters from 5 gallon buckets. Thinking about experimenting with them for figs (already in 5 gal buckets) and maybe some dwarf tomatoes (rather than grow bags). The main objective is to cut down how much I need to manually water in our summer heat, especially if I want to go away for a long weekend and not come back to stressed or fried plants.

I was thinking about moving away from peat this year and using coconut coir, but some sources indicate it doesn't wick well enough to move water up 12+".

I have been having quite a fun time using the Deep Water Container (DWC) bucket system for these beans. All you need is a 10 dollar aquarium air pump, net cups, and nutrient for your water. I'm being a little goofy with this build. I am using a live bamboo shaft for a bean pole and using horizontal lighting to see if I can trick the plants into bushing up. Hydroponics is surprisingly cheap and fun.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Discussion Quorum posted:

I bought 4 5-gallon buckets to try making two last year but then I saw an earthbox on sale and went with it instead. I may try making the bucket ones next year.

Even with four full-sized 4-5ft tall pepper plants it could go about three days during the hottest summer heat before the 3-gallon reservoir ran dry. During the milder temperatures it would last almost a week with less evaporation.

I just used normal "moisture control" miraclegro potting soil and it stayed at a perfect moisture level as long as you have water in the bottom and some sort of plastic/mulch over the top.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i have a couple of "earthtainer"s that are a similar design made from large rubbermaid tubs. they work great, they only need to be topped off once a week or so in the hottest part of the summer

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I also have 2 self watering things that are big totes instead of the buckets but they work pretty well

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Spikes32 posted:

Amy suggestions on good sites to buy Northern California wildflowers from, particular CA poppies?

I'm really late, but here
https://leballisters.com/product-category/wildflower-seed-mixes/

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Saved for next year that place looks great thanks!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Does anyone have a go-to guide for pruning fruit trees, specifically fig, peach, apple, and (Asian) pear? Preferably with good drawings of what needs to be done for 4-5yr old trees.

Most of what I'm seeing online seems to be non-experts crapping out hundreds of articles by copy pasting bits from other existing crap "articles" or AI-generate garbage.

Maybe I should reach out to my ag-extension or master gardeners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Does anyone have a go-to guide for pruning fruit trees, specifically fig, peach, apple, and (Asian) pear? Preferably with good drawings of what needs to be done for 4-5yr old trees.

Most of what I'm seeing online seems to be non-experts crapping out hundreds of articles by copy pasting bits from other existing crap "articles" or AI-generate garbage.

Maybe I should reach out to my ag-extension or master gardeners.

You're probably looking for your state's master gardener manual from the ag extension. This is the kind of thing in mine (PA):

Covers climate/area appropriate varieties, lifecycle, pests, etc.