Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Apocron posted:

Its just disappointing because I don’t think we had the information that confiscation would 100% target the cursed tool. If it chose the tool by chance then that would be an acceptable outcome. If Sukuna had figured out that loophole and declared it outright that might be cool. But instead we get a text box saying that Higuruma and Sukuna both realized their chance of success was a sham except Gege fails to show their reasoning.

we actually do get to see their reasoning, sukuna's holding the cursed tool when he enters the domain and it's gone when they leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RatHat posted:

Neither Higuruma nor Sukuna knew this would happen, they were just the first to realize it afterwards.

Sukuna’s real CT is Plot Armor

yea it seemed to me like sukuna didn't care about the results of the trial more than that he knew the tool would be confiscated. he's confident he can win regardless of what they do

I was looking forward to the trial so it's a bummer that it went by so quickly and didn't even seem particularly worth the effort

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

yeah i'd prefer sukuna's whole focus on the sword to be him being obsessed with power he doesn't understand; i'm worried it's just gonna be sukuna stealing it in 3 chapters

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Higuruma said he could kind of grasp the idea behind Gojo and Sukuna changing the conditions for their domain, it would be interesting if he tried to apply that now and use it again or something. There are plenty of crimes to persecute!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Maybe it's a tranlsation problem but it says that:

quote:

But Sukuna and Higurama had realized that the chance of success was a sham.

If the target of punishment is carrying a cursed tool then confiscation applies not to a cursed technique but to the cursed tool.

So when did they realize Higuruma had a 0% chance exactly? During the trial? after the confiscation? If it was after the confiscation and return to reality then how did they realize that the chance of confiscation was 100% directed toward the cursed tool? Surely, as far as they're aware, the tool is confiscated but it was 50/50 between the tool and Malevolent shrine?

And if Sukuna realized even before the trial (based on deduction from Yuji's experience) perhaps he was deliberately holding the tool in preparation for Higuruma's attack. Which would be fine but again there's no real explanation of how he came to that conclusion.

Besides that I thought it was a good point someone made about weapons being confiscated before a trial so he shouldn't really have been in court carrying a weapon? This is a weaker point but if the logic for the confiscation is that a murderer holding a weapon will have the weapon confiscated in preference to any ability because the judge determines it as a the murder weapon, then surely the potential murder weapon should have been confiscated before the trial.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think “chance of success” there means a chance of beating Sukuna, not the chance of the confiscation working

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Actually they had assumed it was either Ten Shadows or the Shrine. They didn’t count on the tool being taken which means that he has both techniques in play which is worse than what they planned.

But they planned around getting the sword for a one hit kill, so they knew maybe the shrine would have been in play. Which means they probably have a countermeasure and why they just didn’t get straight up instagibbed as soon as the trial was over.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I am just hoping that the upcoming fights are still intriguing with Sukuna still having access to Cleave and Dismantle.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Incredibly lovely early scans: https://ragnarokscanlation.com/manga/jujutsu-kaisen-en/chapter-246/

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Dont mind this latest development.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah although holy poo poo "incredibly lovely scans" is right some of those pages look like Mangapanda scanned them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nanami got exploded by Mahito and he didn't have a CT that involved creation. How did they manage to make a cursed tool with his technique? This is one of the reasons why JJK being more loose with its rules bothers me. Stuff happens and I don't know if I missed something or if the writer is just making it up on the fly.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Nanami got exploded by Mahito and he didn't have a CT that involved creation. How did they manage to make a cursed tool with his technique? This is one of the reasons why JJK being more loose with its rules bothers me. Stuff happens and I don't know if I missed something or if the writer is just making it up on the fly.

I think it's Ino (dude wearing a ski mask over his head) using it. He can summon 4 little dudes who give him powers and we still haven't seen one of those 4. Maybe it can channel dead people's abilities or something.

E: maybe some possession technique even, like that dude who became Toji

cgfreak fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 20, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

cgfreak posted:

I think it's Ino (dude wearing a ski mask over his head) using it. He can summon 4 little dudes who give him powers and we still haven't seen one of those 4. Maybe it can channel dead people's abilities or something.

E: maybe some possession technique even, like that dude who became Toji

I'm comfortable ruling out that Ino has a summon that would replicate someone's ability. Ino did try and use Ryu against the resurrected Toji and it was a hand-based attack. I always assumed it would be an energy dragon construct much like Zeno Zoldyck from HxH.

As for someone else using a possession technique. Who else in the setting could accomplish that?

yota821
Sep 3, 2006
Isn’t it as simple as Ino using Nanami’s weapon, which has been imbued with his cursed technique?

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
This translation is extra terrible and a lot of the impact is lost. Especially for Higuruma and the narrator. Higuruma says he’s beyond redemption as he literally cannot look Yuji in the eyes anymore due to the guilt of his actions. And the narrator says something to the effect of Higuruma being a shining gem of talent that is sparkling akin to Gojo Satoru - which entrances Sukuna.

at least, that’s what I got from another translation

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

yum posted:

This translation is extra terrible and a lot of the impact is lost. Especially for Higuruma and the narrator. Higuruma says he’s beyond redemption as he literally cannot look Yuji in the eyes anymore due to the guilt of his actions. And the narrator says something to the effect of Higuruma being a shining gem of talent that is sparkling akin to Gojo Satoru - which entrances Sukuna.

at least, that’s what I got from another translation

Anymore? What changed in the past 24 hours? Higuruma's been a super good guy for months now.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

No Wave posted:

Anymore? What changed in the past 24 hours? Higuruma's been a super good guy for months now.

anymore as in he physically avoids eye contact with Yuji. Even when they’re having a one on one conversation, he is always looking the other way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is neat in theory but like... it's difficult to imagine a small side character is going to be the one to defeat Sukina. I guess there's still a finger roaming around so he could come back in a massively weaker form.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

No Wave posted:

Remember when Higuruma first met with Yuji? The bathtub and so on: Higuruma was in a slump because he was processing what the existence of cursed energy meant wrt his values and the supposed righteousness of justice and the legal system. after his awakening, he proceeded to kill the people he was in court with, and killed other ~20 sorcerors. He was spiraling into depression, convinced that people were absolutely horrible and immoral, and cursed energy would've been the ultimate moral judge.

Then he met Yuji and was reminded that good people still exist: he thought back on how he reacted/what he was becoming and told Yuji to leave him alone, because he's deeply guilty and would've turned himself in for murder.

It seems he's still hung over this and I think it's likely he will atone losing his life.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
What i've wondered a couple of times now wrt anyone who fought Sukuna after Gojo/Kashimo did: why is he even bothering to use Dismantle? Why isn't he just instantly obliterating everyone into atoms with full force Cleaves?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cgfreak posted:

What i've wondered a couple of times now wrt anyone who fought Sukuna after Gojo/Kashimo did: why is he even bothering to use Dismantle? Why isn't he just instantly obliterating everyone into atoms with full force Cleaves?

There is some condition that needs to be met to do so, if I'm understanding the poo poo translation right.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

There is some condition that needs to be met to do so, if I'm understanding the poo poo translation right.

well he has shown interest in Higurama's instakill sword as opposed to last person he atomized(one of Geto's girls) who's technique he considered boring so that might have something to do with it?

Or he could be an rear end in a top hat and just loving around.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
From good translations Sukuna likes to toy with his food if it's at all interesting, and Higuruma is a confirmed prodigy with a one-hit-kill sword which I guess is different enough from other one-hit-kill methods to be worth checking out before stomping.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Pierson posted:

From good translations Sukuna likes to toy with his food if it's at all interesting, and Higuruma is a confirmed prodigy with a one-hit-kill sword which I guess is different enough from other one-hit-kill methods to be worth checking out before stomping.

The way the layers of conditions are stacked to be able to infinitely* punch up plus rate of growth

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
What does one hit kill sword even mean in a context where the user isnt guaranteed to hit? It's one hit kill if he hits someone with it fatally?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

What does one hit kill sword even mean in a context where the user isnt guaranteed to hit? It's one hit kill if he hits someone with it fatally?

I would guess it is if he hits with it at all. Like it's a sword in shape but I imagine if it hits you at all it just burns your soul up or whatever.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The way the layers of conditions are stacked to be able to infinitely* punch up plus rate of growth

It's anime rules. It's gotta be a clean hit. Shaving some hair doesn't count. Slicing a finger or something? Probably.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Watch, he's going to land a hit and it'll just kill Megumi's soul at this rate, followed by six more panels of smug Sukuna

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

He was holding his weapon as he died. Easy to see that his weapon would take on his technique, given that cursed techniques are all about negative feelings lingering on and manifesting. Which is how the other effect based ones were made outside of a chosen few like Maki’s and the other dude who seemed to be able to create them

Not really a stretch to see his student pick it up and realised it was now imbued with his CT

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Asuron posted:

He was holding his weapon as he died. Easy to see that his weapon would take on his technique, given that cursed techniques are all about negative feelings lingering on and manifesting. Which is how the other effect based ones were made outside of a chosen few like Maki’s and the other dude who seemed to be able to create them

Not really a stretch to see his student pick it up and realised it was now imbued with his CT

If a sorcerer dying with a tool in their hand could create a cursed tool with their technique preserved in it; that seems something that would have come up much earlier. Mai and that bug lady had cursed techniques specifically based on matter creation so I don't really count them. Plus the techniques of both weapons aren't also construction powers. Kamutoke and the Soul Splitting sword are just exact replicas of the original articles that were either damaged or lost to time.

So while I could be generous and just say that it's because nanami died with his sword in hand. I don't think the story supports this and it's just readers filling in the blanks.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Theres tons of cursed tools and no absolutely concrete explanation on how they are made. This is one of the easiest things to "roll with" in regards to the end of this manga.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Sorcerer's signature weapon carrying an impression of their technique feels like a pretty reasonable extrapolation of the logic we know, honestly. Nanami's last dialogue was even related to making that moment into a curse for Yuji, so conceivably negative emotion could have played a role there, if we really needed to get an explanation.

Kind of lukewarm on the chapter just because we've already been through enough hype cycles of "this guy can do it, he might have a shot against Sukuna" to know that Higuruma is probably not going to solve the Sukuna problem here. Sukuna is trashing the heroes pretty effortlessly so far so I remain curious to see what Gege comes up with. At the same time, if Higuruma does manage to do something, it would be kind of cool if Sukuna's "gently caress around with anything interesting" attitude bites him in the rear end in the end, but I'm very dubious of that happening.

Maki and Okkotsu (? he's probably on his way back, right?) could probably give us a few chapters of struggling but overpowering Sukuna just looks very difficult at this point, unless Gege starts dropping hints that he used up more energy than he should have fighting Gojo pretty soon.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Cursed tools (with the exception of Playful Cloud) are made from the body parts of dead sorcerers whose techniques have been imbued into the tool. Accordingly, a piece of their soul resides within the tool as well, since the body is the soul and vice versa.

Examples I can think of: That weirdo bald curse user that attacked during the exam arc was a curse tool maker and wanted to turn Gojo into a coat rack.

The Prison Realm was described as the last remains of the Buddhist monk who also created simple domain.

Mai’s soul residing in the soul cutter Katana

Kenjaku says the Bath is a ritual for turning a vessel with a valuable technique into a cursed tool.

And then there’s cursed objects like Choso and gang and Sukuna’s fingers which obviously also house souls.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sukuna will lose when he realizes he will never, ever, no matter how long he tries, be cooler than Panda

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

Sukuna will lose when he realizes he will never, ever, no matter how long he tries, be cooler than Panda

As the ultimate selfish loner, he will lose once Yuji's innate technique takes over and forces him to relive his 1000 years of existence as Yuji's cool uncle.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

yum posted:

Cursed tools (with the exception of Playful Cloud) are made from the body parts of dead sorcerers whose techniques have been imbued into the tool. Accordingly, a piece of their soul resides within the tool as well, since the body is the soul and vice versa.

Just to clarify; prison Realm is listed as a cursed object not a cursed tool. Cursed Objects would also include the Death Womb Paintings and any of the remains that house a reincarnated sorcerer. Cursed objects largely seem to be regular items that have been imbued with energy and a technique. Only weird exception is that sword that has what appears to be a real hand for the hilt. The process for either hasn't needed to be explained in depth and I'm not saying it should. But in this case I still think if someone dying with an object on their person, especially one they commonly use for their technique, that puts their technique in that object. You'd have a whole market for those kinds of items and we would have heard about it sooner. Like if Ino dies in this fight does his mask get the ability to summon his 4 creatures? Does the Kyoto principal's guitar now let other people send out energy shockwaves?

But really beyond that my complaint here is why are we bringing this up now? Nanami went out with a bang and I believe he was at peace with himself. It's not like he threw his weapon to Yuji to use which would have more clearly hinted if he had an intention of arming the MC with anything more than a less depressing final message. I feel the same about this as I do the chapter demonstrating that even if Sukuna had been disarmed of dismantle, he still would just be ripping people in half. Just kind of wondering where we are going from here

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Just to clarify; prison Realm is listed as a cursed object not a cursed tool. Cursed Objects would also include the Death Womb Paintings and any of the remains that house a reincarnated sorcerer. Cursed objects largely seem to be regular items that have been imbued with energy and a technique. Only weird exception is that sword that has what appears to be a real hand for the hilt. The process for either hasn't needed to be explained in depth and I'm not saying it should. But in this case I still think if someone dying with an object on their person, especially one they commonly use for their technique, that puts their technique in that object. You'd have a whole market for those kinds of items and we would have heard about it sooner. Like if Ino dies in this fight does his mask get the ability to summon his 4 creatures? Does the Kyoto principal's guitar now let other people send out energy shockwaves?

But really beyond that my complaint here is why are we bringing this up now? Nanami went out with a bang and I believe he was at peace with himself. It's not like he threw his weapon to Yuji to use which would have more clearly hinted if he had an intention of arming the MC with anything more than a less depressing final message. I feel the same about this as I do the chapter demonstrating that even if Sukuna had been disarmed of dismantle, he still would just be ripping people in half. Just kind of wondering where we are going from here

We.do have a market for that it's the entire cast who uses weird cursed weapons all the time.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

We.do have a market for that it's the entire cast who uses weird cursed weapons all the time.

I was referring to cursed tools whose powers are directly inherited from a sorcerer's cursed technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I'll join the conversation when TBC releases.