Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's the episode where they commission a public survey and it finds that the people think the monarchy is out of touch and they just say gently caress that. Also Tony Blair and his staff make a bunch of very reasonable recommendations about how they could employ fewer people to do less stupid poo poo and they interview everyone and we see all these absolutely adorable dudes who are definitely not getting paid for doing nothing and Elizabeth says she won't change and that everything is okay.

But everything wasn't okay! That's huge royal family propaganda and the rest of The Crown wasn't as full forward with it. Only the recent episodes.

Yeah it feels like it has lost its already fuzzy distance to conservative monarchial politics. I didn't even complete the last season. Loved the first couple tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wind River is overworked crap
Just a pile of plot by numbers with a miserable undeveloped villain and Rener just renering all over the place

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

It looks pretty though

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Upsidads posted:

Wind River is overworked crap
Just a pile of plot by numbers with a miserable undeveloped villain and Rener just renering all over the place

toggle posted:

It looks pretty though
:hmmyes:
Very much just more incredibly bland incredibly overrated Taylor Sheridan. Wish someone would shoot that guy and Craig S Zahler into space.

Boy was Those Who Wish Me Dead totally forgettable.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly the only time I enjoyed Jeremy Renner rennering all over the place was him (sorta) channeling Pesci in the also terrible film American Hustle directed by another famed white dude hack.
Renner's fine but you can't give him too much leash, god was he dead weight when they brought him on for Mission Impossible. Almost as bad as them getting more Simon Pegg Hollywood Wisecracking in.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Honestly the only time I enjoyed Jeremy Renner rennering all over the place was him (sorta) channeling Pesci in the also terrible film American Hustle directed by another famed white dude hack.
Renner's fine but you can't give him too much leash, god was he dead weight when they brought him on for Mission Impossible. Almost as bad as them getting more Simon Pegg Hollywood Wisecracking in.

He's pretty good in Mayor of Kingstown, yelling "gently caress" every sentence.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I refuse to believe that Mayor of Kingstown and Mare of Easttown are two different shows.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Mare of east town was good but idk if it’s a solvable mystery for the viewer which irks me a little

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I mean the approach was kind of formulaic so you knew who it wasn't. "Oh, they're casting suspicion on this dude in the 3rd episode, it's too early just a red herring." "Oh the killers caught but there's a whole other episode, so the guy that confessed is protecting someone."

But I might have had help since I had read the book the plot was 'borrowed' from.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A MIRACLE posted:

Mare of east town was good but idk if it’s a solvable mystery for the viewer which irks me a little

Sherlock is this problem, the show

mystes
May 31, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Sherlock is this problem, the show
Very surprising that something based on sherlock holmes doesn't follow the rules of detective fiction

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Plagiaire of East Town

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Kate Winslet's delco accent was okay, but no better than that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

finished murder at the end of the world, with a fizzle and not a bang. guessed the ending like 2 episodes in. skip it did the ever explain who was threatening darby to "stop digging or I will kill again"

mystes
May 31, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

did the ever explain who was threatening darby to "stop digging or I will kill again"
yes I believe the last episode explained that

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

mystes posted:

yes I believe the last episode explained that

And it was incredibly stupid

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

misguided rage posted:

mystes
May 31, 2006

yeah it was pretty dumb

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Finally started watching the Hunger Games movies (finishing the second one, which lmao almost has a 4 on letterboxd somehow) and lord I wish I could get one of these movies that's just "young people are forced to kill each other". I know it's YA but my god are all the loving mutant animals and poo poo like the giant clock and poison fog just tedious, scatter-brained, and remarkably uncreative. A lot of the time (assuming this poo poo is all in the books) it feels like Suzanne Collins just tossed together a bunch of random bullshit.

They're like ok so far. Not like, total poo poo at least, even if a lot of the aesthetic choices can be pretty lame. Do they drop off a cliff at some point?

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 20, 2023

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
go back to the roots. watch battle royale.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ymgve posted:

Just stop br 2 at the ten min mark where the director died

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Can't wait for the paramount/wb merger to gently caress up paramount

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

ymgve posted:

Oh I mean, of course. I was a huge teenage BR fan. Read the book, got both movies on DVD back then and I even read the lovely manga (I think there were two...)
Also BR2 was a solid fun bad movie imo.

Really need to drop Kazou Kiriyama into one of these gottdang Hunger Games.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Finally started watching the Hunger Games movies (finishing the second one, which lmao almost has a 4 on letterboxd somehow) and lord I wish I could get one of these movies that's just "young people are forced to kill each other". I know it's YA but my god are all the loving mutant animals and poo poo like the giant clock and poison fog just tedious, scatter-brained, and remarkably uncreative. A lot of the time (assuming this poo poo is all in the books) it feels like Suzanne Collins just tossed together a bunch of random bullshit.

They're like ok so far. Not like, total poo poo at least, even if a lot of the aesthetic choices can be pretty lame. Do they drop off a cliff at some point?

I think they get better as they go along actually, even though there's less focus on the titular Hunger Games. The third one has very little action and it's mostly about the main characters making anti-government propaganda. It's not as interesting or good as I would have hoped from that premise but it is a bit more substance than I was expecting from a YA series.

Overall I think the movies end up having more coherency and thought put into their politics and story than a lot of other YA stuff, though I don't think any of the movies rise above decent. Even the recent prequel movie was pretty alright and has some interesting stuff in it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Kate Winslet's delco accent was okay, but no better than that.

It's ridiculous there isn't more Delco media, but it's probably because it's such a boring place. Wyoming has two senators, and Delco has more people. Kansas City has a football team, and Delco has more people. Delco has its own unique accent, lots of local cuisine, and plenty of attractions. It's one of the most ethnically and economically diverse places in the country. And all it gets is Mare of Easttown and Silver Linings Playbook.

If you don't know about the place, it's the Staten Island of Philadelphia.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also Tina Fey! Upper Darby never gonna let that one go.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also Tina Fey! Upper Darby never gonna let that one go.

Jamie Kennedy is also from Upper Dirty but you don't hear Delconians talk about that

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Unforgivable

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Blue Beetle (currently on Max) has the balls to be unabashedly pro-Sandinista, and for that alone I am glad it was made.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

Blue Beetle (currently on Max) has the balls to be unabashedly pro-Sandinista, and for that alone I am glad it was made.
Wait...what? How? When? Do I need to see this movie now lmao

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Wait...what? How? When? Do I need to see this movie now lmao

Spoiler-ing a several-months old movie, just in case.

The villain's main henchman is revealed in a flashback to be a child soldier during the Nicaraguan Revolution whose mother was killed by an indiscriminate American missile, all while soundbites from Ronald Reagan play. That's in addition to the whole first act being about Jamie Reyes, a second-generation American, graduating college only to find himself unable to get any kind of non-physical labor work while his family loses their house due to gentrification.

Susan Sarandon said it was a pretty Communist movie back when they were filming it, and hell, she's right.

e: I should specify the henchman had his memory wiped by the main villain because she was involved with the production of said missile, and when he got his memories back he drags the villain to their eventual demise

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 21, 2023

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

misguided rage posted:

The tag line should be something like 'It takes the dumbest character around to unravel a mystery much stupider than you could possibly imagine!'

I deeply regret finishing it after is started dragging a couple episodes in and I initially stopped watching.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Flying Zamboni posted:

I think they get better as they go along actually, even though there's less focus on the titular Hunger Games. The third one has very little action and it's mostly about the main characters making anti-government propaganda. It's not as interesting or good as I would have hoped from that premise but it is a bit more substance than I was expecting from a YA series.

Overall I think the movies end up having more coherency and thought put into their politics and story than a lot of other YA stuff, though I don't think any of the movies rise above decent. Even the recent prequel movie was pretty alright and has some interesting stuff in it.
Yeah Ive enjoyed the third one most so far. I'll take any kind of bland Hollywood populism if it just avoids the evil toxic bullshit of "wait...what if the revolution is...just as bad???"
I'm about to watch the fourth one tho so I shouldn't speak too soon. Im sure they'll pull some David S Goyer type bullshit.

The Hunger Games should've been fun, "bland whitified Battle Royale" ain't the best pitch but it's still something that could be entertaining in concept...however they're mostly lame in execution in the first two films imo. I assume the prequel has them, maybe they're cool in that?? Are they?
It just doesn't feel like Collins had any coherent spin of her own on the concept and just tossed a bunch of random ideas in if the books are just like "ummm and there's super wasps!!! And then like...uhhh a giant clock and lightning strikes!!!"

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 22, 2023

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Watched the first 45 minutes of Rebel Moon before turning it off. It genuinely feels intentionally bad.

Switched to The Creator on Hulu instead. It's not good and it's way too long but it was still definitely better than Rebel Moon.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I found Rebel Moon to just be kinda boring. You can immediately see where a plot thread is going and it always takes longer than you'd think to get there without adding anything surprising in the middle. Plus an extended sequence of a dude trying to ride a griffin thing for I believe absolutely no reason, with zero bearing on the rest of the film?

Sound design was kinda neat. Sometimes has some interesting angles during action sequences. I didn't outwardly dislike any of the actors, it's just all very paint by numbers.

I'd say you should probably be high to find it amusing, but I'd probably just fall asleep.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Maestro, on Netflix, has the best old people makeup I've ever seen. I liked the attempt at emulating the film making style of each decade as the story moved through time, it nailed the 1970s scenes in particular.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Finally got around to seeing RRR after having read so much praise for it and having it on my to-watch list for ages and I was frankly shocked at how lovely and bloated it was. While most of the action set pieces were fun, the acting was bad, the writing poor, the pacing frequently awkward, and it absolutely did not earn its runtime. About halfway through I was just wishing for it to end.

It seems like a lot of people liked it because of the anticolonial themes, but given the toxicity of Hindutva politics in India right now the whole narrative ending with one of the protagonists literally becoming a vengeful Hindu god also left a bad taste in my mouth.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

MeinPanzer posted:

Finally got around to seeing RRR after having read so much praise for it and having it on my to-watch list for ages and I was frankly shocked at how lovely and bloated it was. While most of the action set pieces were fun, the acting was bad, the writing poor, the pacing frequently awkward, and it absolutely did not earn its runtime. About halfway through I was just wishing for it to end.

It seems like a lot of people liked it because of the anticolonial themes, but given the toxicity of Hindutva politics in India right now the whole narrative ending with one of the protagonists literally becoming a vengeful Hindu god also left a bad taste in my mouth.
No

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

MeinPanzer posted:

most of the action set pieces were fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
How someone becoming a vengeful Hindu god in a movie is a bad thing is beyond me. That movie fuckin owned bones