Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I was just thinking about Sideways and I guess it must be OOP because the eBay prices are crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
I just had the same thought with Three Billboards, looked it up and was shocked and saddened.

Edit: Speaking of Martin McDonaugh, release Banshees of Inisherin on 4K!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I rewatched Sideways lately, so good! For another early 2000s indie-ish gem I enjoyed revisiting Adaptation a lot too. The Station Agent is also cool.

So I haven't been a 4K viewer until this month when I got a ps5 and new cheap TCL TV. It's a nice upgrade in clarity etc even for old stuff, compared to my Sharp TV from 10 years ago.

For me I don't think I'm going all in on 4K UHD discs, but I'll grab those combo packs when I can, I've gathered some already. So my first watch and compare was The Big Lebowski, that's a great 4K disc, real nice upgrade from the blu-ray. You can see more detail and grain instead of the kind of slightly clean scrubbed look on faces etc on the blu-ray, and I like the warmer colors etc. Looks a bit more filmic.

But that's a case where they didn't remaster the 1080p blu-ray. I just watched Arrow's 4K disc of True Romance, really great looking as well, but what I find interesting is the 1080p disc looks similarly great. Very similar colors etc even without HDR for the 1080p, and can still see the grain on people etc doesn't look smoothed out or anything. So the lesson here, these big companies like Universal should be like Arrow and not skip on a remastered blu-ray along with the 4K disc. It's only proper.

I also notice it's not always the easiest info to find if a 4K pack includes a remastered version or not, on blu-ray.com sometimes the review doesn't mention it but the forum topic does.

Also, I recently got Hajime no Ippo vol 2 and 3, Nadesico, and Irresponsible Captain Tylor blu-rays, some major upgrades compared to the DVDs. Well in Ippo's case they were early 2000s fansub avi files. Talk about masterpieces. Ippo's blu-ray is an SD upscale, but thankfully it doesn't look like a photoshop painting like some of those do, looks legit.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
After reading that article I'm reconsidering the Wong Kar-Wai collection, is that the criterion release? Or some future 4k coming out?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
After the True Lies fiasco, I can't help wondering: Were Park Road also responsible for the Avatar 4K edition? Because, y'know...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That legitimately looks like an ai render. Complete with the smeary somewhat recognizable but not actually backgrounds

Incredible

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Speaking of nightmare ai 'restoration', the comments on this, whew

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzCZmXzK5VK/?igshid=MTdlMjRlYjZlMQ==

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Steen71 posted:

After the True Lies fiasco, I can't help wondering: Were Park Road also responsible for the Avatar 4K edition? Because, y'know...

Yep. Park Road Post is pretty much considered the top post production facility in New Zealand, and is all under the Peter Jackson/Weta/WingNut Films umbrella. poo poo, they shot a big chunk of the live-action scenes in Wellington, where Park Road Post is located.

Their website doesn't list Avatar (it's a bit out of date), but their social media mentions how proud they are of the work they did on that film.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I got all my VS stuff. My Lost Picture Show boxset came first/last week by itself, very impressed by how it looks

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Apparently the Chernobyl 4k disc is just...out of print already? I can shell out big bucks to buy a copy from overseas or big bucks to buy a used copy off ebay, or just get the bluray instead. This came out in 2020, what the gently caress.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Lizard Combatant posted:

After reading that article I'm reconsidering the Wong Kar-Wai collection, is that the criterion release? Or some future 4k coming out?

I believe it's the collection - Criterion has an original color graded Blu Ray of In The Mood For Love standalone but the 4Ks all have the new greener color grading. I don't have anything except the two versions of ITMFL though, and I've only seen 2046 on streaming and it looked fine, so I can't really compare or recommend/not recommend any particular version.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
loving finally

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sirotan posted:

Apparently the Chernobyl 4k disc is just...out of print already? I can shell out big bucks to buy a copy from overseas or big bucks to buy a used copy off ebay, or just get the bluray instead. This came out in 2020, what the gently caress.

Yeah it was hard for me to find as well, but luckily found a local online retailer with one left. It's not a massive upgrade from the Blu-ray but given the choice i had to get the 4k.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I believe it's the collection - Criterion has an original color graded Blu Ray of In The Mood For Love standalone but the 4Ks all have the new greener color grading. I don't have anything except the two versions of ITMFL though, and I've only seen 2046 on streaming and it looked fine, so I can't really compare or recommend/not recommend any particular version.

Thanks for that!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah it was hard for me to find as well, but luckily found a local online retailer with one left. It's not a massive upgrade from the Blu-ray but given the choice i had to get the 4k.

I did even more searching and found that Amazon Canada has 8 copies available. 7 now. They won't ship to the US but I've got a friend who was willing to reship it for me.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Sirotan posted:

I did even more searching and found that Amazon Canada has 8 copies available. 7 now. They won't ship to the US but I've got a friend who was willing to reship it for me.

Hey if he falls through, I'm in the US until mid Jan if you get desperate.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Kino Lorber just announced the fourth season of Monk. Doing some quick maths it'll cost around $250+ to own all eight seasons on Blu-Ray by the end of it. And I'm the sucker who will keep shelling out for them or getting others to buy them for me.

I'm actually pretty excited for these releases; I love the show but I've only seen it on TV, DVD, and streaming. I'm curious as to what it'll look like given the KL treatment. It's still a really unusual release to me. Sure, it's popular, and there are more fans than me out there, but it just doesn't feel like the kind of thing they'd pick up. I'm sure there's a story there I haven't really looked into but it's neat.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I never watched the seasons with the new lady.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I gotta get looped in on this!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I never watched the seasons with the new lady.

The Natalie seasons have some of the best episodes - Mr. Monk & The Astronaut, Mr. Monk Is On The Air, the Ambrose episodes, Mr. Monk Fights City Hall, and more. There are actually way more Natalie episodes than Sharona episodes as she started in season 3. You're missing out!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey if he falls through, I'm in the US until mid Jan if you get desperate.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Big Mac posted:

I gotta get looped in on this!

I almost created an account with Reship.com because I didn't want to hassle my friend about it, from all the fees and shipping it's probably $25 extra on top of the disc. Still cheaper than importing from France or hitting ebay but not by a ton. Their site says new customers can get $10 off if you use their app, though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Steen71 posted:

To be fair, the live-action looked "strange" even back in 2009. I remember noticing how the 15/70 IMAX 3-D presentation had an odd look to anything that wasn't 100% CGI and even that version was processed by Lowry Digital/Reliance Mediaworks back then. The live-action was originally shot in 1080p, IIRC, so much like the Star Wars prequels and other early digital, they're forever locked into a relatively low resolution.

More reason why it's frustrating that stuff shot on 35mm looks as "squishy" as it does because even 80s/90s Super-35 looks gorgeous in 4K when it's not overprocessed. For that matter, even Techniscope can look amazing as Kino's Dollars Trilogy UHDs show, so there wasn't a reason for American Graffiti to look so processed.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 22, 2023

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My random VS slipcover shipped, for a movie I don't have. I can't even tell what it's for, the item is labeled "VSCRAPS-1419", so I guess the movie is called Craps 1419 or something? If it's part of the regular VinSyn catalog I can't see what it is, it's partner month.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

King Vidiot posted:

My random VS slipcover shipped, for a movie I don't have. I can't even tell what it's for, the item is labeled "VSCRAPS-1419", so I guess the movie is called Craps 1419 or something? If it's part of the regular VinSyn catalog I can't see what it is, it's partner month.

could you post a picture?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
ooh VS delivery time

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

It’s Fatal Games!

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
My slipcover also shipped and the Route app has it noted as "Apple iPhone 12". I was very confused until I saw the email from VS with the same tracking number.

I guess I should consider buying this movie at some point?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
I know the slipcover topic has been discussed 1000 times re: their value or not, but are you guys actually paying money for just the packaging piece of cardboard without even a movie in it?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
And others buy their movies and joylessly rip them into a server and entomb the disc in a bin in the closet

Let us be

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sniep posted:

I know the slipcover topic has been discussed 1000 times re: their value or not, but are you guys actually paying money for just the packaging piece of cardboard without even a movie in it?

Vinegar Syndrome presents it as a free gift for donating to their film preservation work.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
People do sometimes buy slips alone though. I bought one that they released for the Lost Films of HG Lewis because I thought it was fun! Definitely a divisive topic and for me the film is the most important thing at the end of the day. I wouldn’t buy a movie I didn’t want because of a cool slipcover personally.

E: to clarify I already owned the movie without the slip, then bought the slip to go with the movie

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 23, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
speaking of packaging, I am hoping you guys can help me out with something. I got the Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II/Godzilla vs Space Godzilla two pack but the case was hosed up. I have some spare bluray cases so I thought I'd just do separate cases for both discs. Does anybody know where to find the art for those movies I can print out and slip into the bluray cases?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Gripweed posted:

Vinegar Syndrome presents it as a free gift for donating to their film preservation work.

Ahhhh that makes total sense then, I wasn't sure how to read it lol.

pwn posted:

And others buy their movies and joylessly rip them into a server and entomb the disc in a bin in the closet

Let us be

King Vidiot posted that they got one for a movie they didn't have. If ya'll were paying real money for sleeves for movies you didn't even own I'd be rightfully a bit curious as to Why.

I get people collect them. You get that I throw them out. No need to jump my poo poo.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sniep posted:

King Vidiot posted that they got one for a movie they didn't have. If ya'll were paying real money for sleeves for movies you didn't even own I'd be rightfully a bit curious as to Why.

I get people collect them. You get that I throw them out. No need to jump my poo poo.

I usually throw slipcovers out too, but the Vinegar Syndrome ones are really nice embossed heavy cardstock with original art. They aren’t like the lovely thin ones you get on regular wide release Blu-rays.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Gripweed posted:

I usually throw slipcovers out too, but the Vinegar Syndrome ones are really nice embossed heavy cardstock with original art.

I do keep the cardboard slide boxes, where the case slides in one end from the side. It they were closer to that then the poo poo im used to, then cool.

Gripweed posted:

They aren’t like the lovely thin ones you get on regular wide release Blu-rays.

Or my personal primary source for movies, Amazon, who loves to put a superglued barcode sticker over top of the opening in the slipcover on the back covering the normal UPC so that it tears it all to poo poo just by trying to open the packaging.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 23, 2023

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
They don't tell us what movie the slipcover is for it's completely a surprise and last years was pretty cool. This one not so much. It really seemed like it was going to be a special one for their ten movie set too so for it to be for Fatal Games instead was a let down.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I throw away slipcovers if they’re the same art as the case but VS slipcovers are great and I like some of the Arrow (I think) martial arts movies where you can have the original poster art with the slipcover and newer art on the case.

Goldmansack
Sep 3, 2004

Mr E posted:

I throw away slipcovers if they’re the same art as the case but VS slipcovers are great and I like some of the Arrow (I think) martial arts movies where you can have the original poster art with the slipcover and newer art on the case.

This is me too. I also tend to throw away slipcovers that feel cheaply made, the ones out of very thin cardboard.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, I love when VS or Arrow and others allow you to have the new art on the slipcover and the original art on the disc case proper. The 4-disc Nightbreed set from Shout Factory was cool because it had both the original and new art on different slipcovers so I got to put the original poster slip on a random case I had lying around and display it on a shelf.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ugh, which reminds me. I bought some kung-fu movies from Eureka and because they weren't being shipped to NZ, I had them sent to a facility that the national mail carrier has in the UK, where you can get orders not being delivered to NZ delivered to, and then they'll send it down here. It takes an extra couple of weeks, but hey, it usually arrives safe and sound.

Except for one time, where I found the packaging had been hacked apart, and the limited edition slipcover case and the blu-ray case had been sliced into. The box was then taped up with tape with the courier logo all over it. I had to get a replacement case (wasn't easy finding the white semi-transparent ones) and the LE slipcover was a lost cause. Luckily the disc was undamaged, but it certainly wasn't for a lack of trying. I took photos of the packaging, the blu-ray case, the slipcover and emailed the national mailing service, where they basically investigated themselves and found themselves not guilty. Despite the evidence that it was them. I made it public on their social media demanding an explanation, and that their "we investigated ourselves and found ourselves not guilty" was not acceptable, and an explanation as to why if it weren't them, the taping covering it up had their logo all over it. Naturally, I sent a whole bunch of follow-up emails with big red circles around their logo on the taping, adding "who did this? who did this? It is a mystery!" for about a week.

So now, every time I use their services, you best believe I call them and throw that in their face each and every time.

Under postage instructions, I always take the time to write "HEY IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU DON'T HACK UP MY PACKAGE WITH A KNIFE LIKE A SLASHER VILLAIN, THAT WOULD BE GREAT YEAH THANKS" with photos of their butchery included.

They hosed up the slipcase on my Rocky IV 4K, so now I guess I'll need to add "OR SMASH IT UP LIKE AN ENRAGED GORILLA"

It still pisses me off.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Sniep posted:

Ok well maybe i was being a defensive jerk and i should give your op a more helpful answer.

On April Fools Day in 2022, VS offered a "transparent* slipcover", demonstrated by the familiar man's hand hand "holding" an invisible slipcover. They were asking $6 and said they were still working on the technology so it wouldn't ship for a while. This being catnip for us horrible nerds, we gambled the $6 and, after many months and some consternation, the slip materialized a year ago: The Invisible Maniac, a lenticular slipcover only available in this 7-month preorder and too NWS to show here. It sells for crazy money on eBay and despite threatening to do so for a year now, I've yet to sell mine.

This year, the same deal came around, though I don't recall what the "hint" was this time. The price had gone up to $10, a not-insignificant jump, but it's for a good cause. I can't tell much about it as I'm waiting for mine (shipped Wednesday), but I don't know the movie at all either.

When I did watch the Invisible Maniac, I liked it, though not enough to pay new price for it. Certainly not enough to pay what people are paying for this bit of cardboard on eBay.

I think if they raise the price again this year I'll sit it out, $10 feels like a hard ceiling for this bit of frivolity.

*i do no recall the exact wording, just that they didn't say "invisible", which would have probably been too obvious a clue

pwn fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 23, 2023