Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Haystack posted:

It generally hits its stride once the main character gets back to civilization and starts getting herself into trouble. Overall, it's a good unchallenging progression fantasy, through and through.

I personally like it a lot! But I'd be the first to admit that my tastes in this sort of thing are kind of basic.

I got annoyed by it when she ended up in a subrealm for multiple (relative) years, essentially power leveling off-screen. Just felt really lame and rushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Aware posted:

So I started SS and it was a bit slow to start and then Alden's first summoning and the moon and Kibby kicked total rear end and now I feel like he's been back on Earth and it's been 40 chapters of absolute batshit boring slice of life with dull drama and setting up characters that arent very interesting apart from Lute. does it get good again? And if so, when so I can skip to that chapter.

I think the fic going forward is going to be more of the second than the first, and if that doesn't grab you then you shouldn't expect it to change much. It's not for everyone.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah I like it but its slow.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Meh I'll persevere until TWI drops at least. Think I'll drop it if super hero high continues to be the main focus. It's a shame, all the interesting characters have been put aside imo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There's no harm in letting it sit and coming back to it and a few months when the current arc might be over.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Speaking of TWI, Pirateaba has announced on their Patreon that the finale of the Solstice is delayed until Saturday. They said that it received mixed reviews from beta readers, but believe the impression will be improved if you get the epilogue at the same time, so they’re writing that to release simultaneously for all readers.

In the previous chapter, the oath that the Horns took saying they won’t return to Izril until Erin does makes me think we’re gonna spend book 10 abroad. Hope the level 50 power she gets extends her portals worldwide.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Silynt posted:

Speaking of TWI, Pirateaba has announced on their Patreon that the finale of the Solstice is delayed until Saturday. They said that it received mixed reviews from beta readers, but believe the impression will be improved if you get the epilogue at the same time, so they’re writing that to release simultaneously for all readers.
it's also over 70k words, so,

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

blastron posted:

I'm enjoying Player Manager, a story about a guy who unintentionally makes a deal with a devil to be the best soccer football team manager in the world. It's technically a LitRPG, in that there are blue boxes with numbers in them, but the actual progression is all real-world stuff about making contacts, scouting players, and coaching teams towards victory.

I will give the caveat that Max, the protagonist, is strong-willed and abrasive, so this might not be your thing depending on what you didn't like about The Perfect Run's MC, but unlike in The Perfect Run, Max does not get to constantly reset the timeline and actually gets punished for his hubris.

I endured The Perfect Run enough to finish it, and didn't really see much connection between its protagonist and Max. Max is a sort of confident that's charming or at least funny, Perfect Run guy is just spewing off references like it's Ready Player One.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Aware posted:

So I started SS and it was a bit slow to start and then Alden's first summoning and the moon and Kibby kicked total rear end and now I feel like he's been back on Earth and it's been 40 chapters of absolute batshit boring slice of life with dull drama and setting up characters that arent very interesting apart from Lute. does it get good again? And if so, when so I can skip to that chapter.

If you like Lute, he does get more screentime soon. Otherwise, slice of life seems to be what Sleyca wants to write for the forseeable future.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

I endured The Perfect Run enough to finish it, and didn't really see much connection between its protagonist and Max. Max is a sort of confident that's charming or at least funny, Perfect Run guy is just spewing off references like it's Ready Player One.

Max seems like he'd be insufferable in real life but mostly tolerable as the protagonist in the story. I also really like player manager though, it's managed to grab me even though I don't know or care much about football in the first place.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I found Max, the MC of Player Manager, to be both abrasive and misogynistic enough that I dropped it fairly quickly after the first female characters are introduced.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

LLSix posted:

If you like Lute, he does get more screentime soon. Otherwise, slice of life seems to be what Sleyca wants to write for the forseeable future.

Appreciated. Just skipping big chunks now to catch up will see how the latest chapters feel but ready to drop it.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

LLSix posted:

I found Max, the MC of Player Manager, to be both abrasive and misogynistic enough that I dropped it fairly quickly after the first female characters are introduced.

This is kinda funny because most of the early women characters were supposedly written or heavily influenced by the author's GF.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

90s Cringe Rock posted:

it's also over 70k words, so,

Yep! Some people in this thread don’t like it when TWI discussion focuses on word count so I figured I’d leave that point out, but yes they’ve basically written a short novel already for this chapter.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Silynt posted:

Yep! Some people in this thread don’t like it when TWI discussion focuses on word count so I figured I’d leave that point out, but yes they’ve basically written a short novel already for this chapter.

I mention it a bit but not in a wow what a wordsmith content creator kind of way, I just find it funny that oops finger slipped and now the chapter's ten minutes longer

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
twi occasionally reaches the point where it legitimately disrupts my reading for the day, or weekend, and I find that a bit upsetting

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Aware posted:

Appreciated. Just skipping big chunks now to catch up will see how the latest chapters feel but ready to drop it.

FYI the Lute flashbacks are on Patreon and haven't started yet in public chapters

I wish SS kept the pacing of the moon chapters but have accepted that's not the story it is. It's still well written so I've kept up with it but not rushing to read the chapters on release.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
honestly I think the real problem is that SS already wrote its star breakout character

it's Kibby (or it's Joe depending on your taste, but let's face it, it's Kibby)

whenever Kibby is not on screen we're all asking, where's Kibby

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think Lute is this arc's Kibby. They're both awesome characters who we fall in love with because Alden builds a great relationship with them. It's really fitting that the support focused main character would build up a secondary character each arc.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

LLSix posted:

he gets better. max's whole arc is about being a kinda lovely english lad who cons his way into responsibility and then actually has to live up to it. since the public chapters are like an entire book behind at this point i'm not sure how much i can say but "misogynistic" doesn't apply to him anymore and he channels his abrasiveness a lot more productively

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
He's a flawed character and definitely still harbors some misogyni but he has more flaws aswell he's also arrogant and aggressive and these are things that have consequences for him.

He has been getting better so if you power through the initial "she was fit but her face wasn't that hot but we still banged" it does get better.

Will he come to terms with all his flaws? Maybe?

Small spoilers he creates a women's squad at the club he ends up with and is very supportive of them and he hires a women assistant manager for his men's side because she's really loving gold. (And both the women players and the manager are real characters and not just a "he did a thing" you get to know them. )

Affi fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 20, 2023

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
TTOU125:The old crew is being woken up and I feel like the story is progressing again after what felt like a bit of a lull. I'm thinking whoever is in charge on the planet is telling them not to respond while they figure out how to take advantage of the situation.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
SS116: Just then, he spotted a pack of dark jewel-toned origami paper.

“Are you buying that?” Natalie asked when he picked it up.

He flipped it over to check the price. The back of the paper was gold. “Yeah, I think I will.”

“If you learn to make things out of it, make me something!” she said brightly.

“Sure. What do you want?”

“Surprise me.”

Natalie might have it kind of bad for Alden.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

A big flaming stink posted:

He flipped it over to check the price. The back of the paper was gold. “Yeah, I think I will.”

“Surprise me.”

The fact that (SupSup 116) the rabbit girls immediately wanted to split groups up so Alden and Natalie rode in the same car was kind of telling, IMHO.

It doesn't shock me, it's been implied Alden is attractive since the first few chapters, he's always nice to Natalie when it's implied she has to deal with annoying admirers a lot, and he's got a pretty impressive coolness factor for being a rabbit in a hero program. The question is how Alden would react to it and if he'd even be interested.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Super Supportive 98.

I really disliked Lute at first but he's turning out to be kind of... okay?

Unrelated, I just realized Super Supportive sounds like the advertising slogan for under garments.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I spent a ridiculous amount on a bra the other day that basically says that on the label.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

I spent a ridiculous amount on a bra the other day that basically says that on the label.

... "Bearer of all burdens" and "Let me take your luggage" would kind of work in that context , too, won't they?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

OddObserver posted:

... "Bearer of all burdens" and "Let me take your luggage" would kind of work in that context , too, won't they?

Object shaper

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SS116:

SS116

Absolutely. He's probably the only guy who's not gone googly eyed at her since she pimped out her appeal, but he's still like a nice and considerate dude. Plus Rrroro, one of the best Avowed healers in the entire Artonan empire, gave him a great body when she was working on him after Thegund and he's been working out tons since he got back to Earth. So he's gotta look good even if he's not like, inhumanly attractive like she is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

“Surprise me.”

I have a feeling that's part of why the plan to split them up with boys sitting with girls went so smoothly. The girls probably wanted Alden with Natalie (and Haoyu and Lute are also pretty cool guys who I could easily see a girl being interested in).

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

I stopped reading a while back when the story discarded the fascinating moral dilemma that kept me hooked for so many chapters instead of actually tackling it. Have they had the Title Drop moment yet?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Griddle of Love posted:

I stopped reading a while back when the story discarded the fascinating moral dilemma that kept me hooked for so many chapters instead of actually tackling it. Have they had the Title Drop moment yet?

The Time to Orbit is no longer unknown, but there's not been an explicit Title Drop.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

"The Time to Orbit is Very Much Known" is a less catchy title though.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Time To Orbit Is A Month Or So But That’s A Problem Too

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Time to Orbit: Unfortunate

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I'm on the Patreon and its Time to Orbit: ...Now...

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Incidentally, Necroepilogos is also in orbit atm.

Really enjoyed hearing about the slow-motion apocalypse from the PoV of a biomecha pilot anchored to Earth's zombie-infested orbital ring, barely privy to the goings-on of the civil war/grey blob crisis on the surface. and some Evangelion poo poo also

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The Flower That Bloomed Nowhere 139: Ah, excellent, the other shoe finally dropped. Happy End :)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

blastron posted:

The Flower That Bloomed Nowhere 139: Ah, excellent, the other shoe finally dropped. Happy End :)

Guess it's about time for me to catch back up again soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Okay. I know this is annoying. I know. But I have to mention it because loving hell. The last part of Vol 9 of TWI was just uploaded. It is 120k words long, divided into 3 parts and an epilogue. This is an ENTIRE NOVEL.