Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy gently caress what a chapter.

"It's just another procedure. I have to be clinical about this, I'm a scientist after all." *next panel of Vegapunk he's got tears and snot leaking out everywhere*

The whole flashback was in-universe, too. Bonney took in all of Kuma's memories. loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
first chapter of the new year gonna be kuma zipping in to punch the spider man

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

mikeycp posted:

first chapter of the new year gonna be kuma zipping in to punch the spider man
Vegapunk 100% wrote “to saint saturn” on the bomb in Kuma’s chest

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
Kuma is a straw hat. Sorry, I don't make the rules, but he's a straw hat now.

What a chapter.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

Vegapunk 100% wrote “to saint saturn” on the bomb in Kuma’s chest

I dunno, there's a poetry to Luffy and Bonney double teaming Saturn with dual Nika punches. Not only is Kuma gonna see Nika properly, he's also gonna see the spirit of Nika in his daughter too. He's been waiting his whole life for this moment. Let the man have this.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So Kuma is gonna successfully Android 16 the Elder right?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Crosspeice posted:

One Piece was crazy good this year.

:emptyquote:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kuma is super dead but he's definitely going to get to see Bonney again, as himself, before he blows up Saturn.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Unironically: Oda Does It Again

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

gently caress.

I keep re-reading this chapter and every time I cry.

edit: Kuma may or may not blow himself up along with Saturn, but first he has to see Nika. I'm rooting for dual Nika punches myself.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Marluxia posted:

I dunno, there's a poetry to Luffy and Bonney double teaming Saturn with dual Nika punches. Not only is Kuma gonna see Nika properly, he's also gonna see the spirit of Nika in his daughter too. He's been waiting his whole life for this moment. Let the man have this.
Probably will happen but I’m gonna guess you don’t write a self-destruct device into someone’s body unless you intend for them to self-destruct at some point

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Cat Machine posted:

Probably will happen but I’m gonna guess you don’t write a self-destruct device into someone’s body unless you intend for them to self-destruct at some point

Not to mention a quick mention of a switch that could give him his mind back. Curious if that comes back...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
bonney seeing kuma in mariejois is going to hurt when i get to it in my reread

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I've really been enjoying the Luffy and Bonney parallels along with the constant repetition that Nika more than anything is a representation of living well, of joy, of selflessness and unity, rather than merely A God. Like it's always been the case but I really really like that Bonney is "a Nika" as it were and I really can't wait to see where this takes us

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Cat Machine posted:

Didn't happen in Dragon Ball Z.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They BETTER get Ishitani on the episode that covers this chapter

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Loving how the flashback reveals that Bonney and her crew were every bit as bad at being 'typical' pirates as Luffy and his crew are.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mind you, Kuma self-destructing isn't necessarily the end for him, if he chooses to do that. Egghead is exactly where you want to be if you want your mind transferred from a doomed body.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I need to lay down, this chapter filled my entire emotional meter for the day

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Imagine how pissed Luffy is going to be when he finds out Saturn hosed with the guy who teleported him and his crew to the islands that made them strong

I imagine the fallout from that would cause some kind of Incident

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

You can tell the forum is aging because almost all of these actors are too old for these parts now

i used to be The Young Poster in the ray parlour and i'm 32 now lol. we all got mad old.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Anime Directly to Readers Worldwide › One Piece Manga Thread: Bisoromi Bear makes everyone cry

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
but yeah in all seriousness this is perfect oda. this final stretch of the story is going to be something loving else.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

godDAMN

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
Realizing that some speculation was that Bonney's powers were important when Akainu mentioned losing track of her, but that was completly subverted by her not even revealing her powers to them. Neat.

Great chapter.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
drat. Bonny taking that "break next week" on the last page really hard. I know the feeling...

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sindai posted:

drat. Bonny taking that "break next week" on the last page really hard. I know the feeling...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Holy poo poo that chapter. Holy poo poo.

Also, I loved the payoff earlier in the chapter to "I heard that last island was full of nothing but senior citizens and children!" :lol:

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go have a little weep.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

mabels big day posted:

I think my brain is broken though because when Kuma said that the damage Luffy took would probably knock him out it made me think about the powerscale implications.

Well, keep in mind that is the accumulated damage Luffy took from his whole time on Thriller Bark. Then imagine taking all of that damage at once in a single instant. Yeah, that'd knock out even the heartiest of pirates.

Unless you're Zoro, that is. :zoro:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

tbp posted:

but yeah in all seriousness this is perfect oda. this final stretch of the story is going to be something loving else.

This is the hype I came for! Long live the king. (Oda)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
drat that was a good chapter. That running page is really top shelf design in particular, one of the best single pages in one piece maybe

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Page of Kuma running is a masterpiece.

Agreed! It did a beautiful job embodying Kuma's whole life.

It's so painful to see how Kuma struggled and took on the suffering of others but never fully appreciated how much other people cared for him, especially when Vegapunk spells it out to him before deleting his consciousness.

Kuma's life is so drat tragic, God drat.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Well, keep in mind that is the accumulated damage Luffy took from his whole time on Thriller Bark. Then imagine taking all of that damage at once in a single instant. Yeah, that'd knock out even the heartiest of pirates.

Unless you're Zoro, that is. :zoro:

This also includes the Nightmare Luffy bits, where Luffy was fighting on a level way beyond what he otherwise would’ve been capable of at the time

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
this is the rare flashback that equals the crew's stories in impact to me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I need the head of Saint Jaygarcia Saturn

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Goddammit Oda

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I cried so much. And then I went back to check something and it hit just as hard as the first time. Maybe harder. I thought I cried everything I could at Kuma running. But then I cried at Vegapunk's tears until I couldn't anymore. And then Boney in the last panel.

gently caress

This is the best flashback since Robin's, for sure.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Eiba posted:

This is the best flashback since Robin's, for sure.

Yeah I'm generally in Team "Get On With It" Camp wrt the constant flashbacks, but this one was top tier.

Final panel really is a brick to the face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

God drat that was a great chapter.

I love the callback to Luffy punching Charlos. The more we learn about Celestial Dragons, the more that punch becomes Luffy's most infamous feat. We were basically seeing the world through Luffyvision at that point in the manga (no idea just who the hell the CDs are). But it's been the punch of liberation that moved Boa, Jinbei and now Kuma to Luffy's side.