Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Sickening posted:

Nah, the decks playing grief aren't very good right now and if we just banned cards for the reasons we would ban grief the list would be loooooong.

Been really having fun playing goblins, merfolk, and mill lately. Modern has been fun. Way more fun than Pioneer. The comp scene is going to be a ghost town come standard season, bad times ahead.

I had a couple of good matches against merfolk this week. Scales is fun to play. Scales is hard to pilot. I played a mirror match while winding down my work week today and it broke my brain so I'm taking a break until tomorrow when my weekend starts. I plan on renting Murktide, giving that a go, and also playing around with a Grixis shell. The list that won last Saturday in the mtgo modern challenge looks like a good starting point.

Modern is the most fun I've had playing Magic, probably ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

kung fu jive posted:

I had a couple of good matches against merfolk this week. Scales is fun to play. Scales is hard to pilot. I played a mirror match while winding down my work week today and it broke my brain so I'm taking a break until tomorrow when my weekend starts. I plan on renting Murktide, giving that a go, and also playing around with a Grixis shell. The list that won last Saturday in the mtgo modern challenge looks like a good starting point.

Modern is the most fun I've had playing Magic, probably ever.

Merfolk isn't that bad to pilot and in paper has some cool retro options. Hell, modern burn is as close as most decks are going to get to having a full retro card setup and i love to play and I am here for it.

I had fears that modern was going to somehow be worse after the bans but I have been greatly surprised.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

I do play mono blue terror in standard, though there having the terror on turn 3 is a god draw. And the most annoying match up is mono-w soldiers featuring Thalia and esper legends featuring Thalia. Or mono-r attacking with a 6/5 swiftspear with monstrous rage on turn 2.

Yeah in pauper you should get a turn 3 terror often, you mulligan pretty well and can often go Brainstorm I to Mental note or double mental note/thought scour, or Delver into brainstorm, etc.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Does any company make good quality dual-color sleeves? I can't seem to find any on Amazon

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Grief 2 should tap for black mana. Why tf not

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Maybe they're waiting for Hoot to make a playset of Tiny Grief tokens, and then they'll ban Grief

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Qwertycoatl posted:

Maybe they're waiting for Hoot to make a playset of Tiny Grief tokens, and then they'll ban Grief

Whatever it takes!
But also, it's legacy, I expect players to do dumb degenerate things there

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I would like to submit a concept for your approval: win the game in the most convoluted and stupidest way possible. Criticism is welcome save "well that's loving stupid" since that's the entire point.

code:
4 Grim Monolith
4 Power Artifact
4 Enlightened Tutor
3 Fabricate
3 Idyllic Tutor
3 Ancient Tomb
4 Tundra
3 Ancient Den
3 Seat of the Synod
3 Mox Opal
2 Serum Powder
4 Staff of Domination
1 Lotus Petal
4 Ring of Ma'rûf
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Black Lotus
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Fastbond
1 Time Walk
3 Flooded Strand
3 Crystal Vein
1 Tolarian Academy
1 Boomerang
1 Copy Artifact
SB: 1 Akroma's Memorial
SB: 4 Wood Elemental
SB: 2 Isochron Scepter
SB: 1 Pull from Eternity
SB: 1 Noxious Revival
SB: 1 Hidden Path
SB: 1 Mangara of Corondor
SB: 1 Replication Technique
SB: 1 Sorrow's Path
SB: 1 Mind Over Matter
SB: 1 Jinx
This template can be used for sideboards in general. The aim of this particular Vintage deck is to go basically every kind of infinite in order to create arbitrarily large Akroma Wood Elementals with unblockable forestwalk, by sacrificing an arbitrarily large number of Sorrow's Paths, making them Forests with a poo poo card from Homelands. Mangara's there to wipe their board. Because this is in fact a poo poo deck that will make you question your life choices upon seeing a Force of Will, it's designed to go off between turns one and not dead, also known as three sometimes in Vintage

Edit: I just realized I only need one Wood Elemental and one stick in my sideboard thanks to Replication Technique so the main point of advice I'd appreciate is finding three/four slots to make this even dumber somehow

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 23, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Seems like Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth would be a natural fit if that doesn't break the rule of using as janky cards as possible for the combo.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

big scary monsters posted:

Seems like Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth would be a natural fit if that doesn't break the rule of using as janky cards as possible for the combo.
Correct, I cut it for Jinx. Still a valid point and having redundant ways of getting there is perfectly janky.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Grief putting up another strong showing in today's challenge

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Good

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

It had 4 copies in top 8 of the 96 challenge yesterday, and 4 copies in today's 64 challenge top 8. Doing particularly well in one tournament out of three doesn't make it a problem, and Yawg outperformed Grief for the weekend.

It's present in the meta but fine atm.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Scales in top 4 of the modern 96? Break out your abacus in celebration!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Reminder if you were interested in any of the Secret Lairs, they're run ends tonight in about 5 hours.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Strong Sauce posted:

Reminder if you were interested in any of the Secret Lairs, they're run ends tonight in about 5 hours.

I think the Doctor Who one still has a few days left in it.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

anyone noticed how there are really few vintage cube videos on youtube this december? and of those that are, like 80% are by LSV whom I can't stand to watch.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

hey mom its 420 posted:

anyone noticed how there are really few vintage cube videos on youtube this december? and of those that are, like 80% are by LSV whom I can't stand to watch.

Looks like Caleb Durward's got a bunch of videos.

One assumes MTGO vids don't do as well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I watch almost every daily jim davis video at work, but MTGO videos are ones I cannot bear. it's just so...so bland, so barren. arena might try to gussy things up a bit too much at times, but the sound design, music, visuals, are all perfect for what it does. the sounds everything makes basically always fit perfectly, and adds a lot to the game imo. mtgo is just so loving basic, a relic of a bygone time. I'm sure they would have shuttered it ages ago if people didn't have so much tied up in it already.

he did do a vintage cube video for coolstuffinc recently, though, if you want it. like all his CSI videos it lacks his morning zoo soundboard, which might be a plus or minus for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8BcpXuMyjE&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 27, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Captain Invictus posted:

it's just so...so bland, so barren. arena might try to gussy things up a bit too much at times, but the sound design, music, visuals, are all perfect for what it does. the sounds everything makes basically always fit perfectly, and adds a lot to the game imo. mtgo is just so loving basic, a relic of a bygone time. I'm sure they would have shuttered it ages ago if people didn't have so much tied up in it already.

Weirdly I feel pretty much the exact opposite for the same reasons. Mtgo is simple and clean presentation, while arena packs in animations and sounds that are fun once or twice but quickly lose their appeal. Plus mtgo has the better formats on it.

Different strokes and all that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MTGO videos are perfect for going to sleep to, especially when it's someone who doesn't use a facecam like BoshNRoll, minimal movement on screen and no flashes.

He also usually does a few Cube videos every time it comes around, now that he's done with eternal weekend I guess we should expect that soon?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

I watch almost every daily jim davis video at work, but MTGO videos are ones I cannot bear. it's just so...so bland, so barren. arena might try to gussy things up a bit too much at times, but the sound design, music, visuals, are all perfect for what it does. the sounds everything makes basically always fit perfectly, and adds a lot to the game imo. mtgo is just so loving basic, a relic of a bygone time. I'm sure they would have shuttered it ages ago if people didn't have so much tied up in it already.
Nah, arena is way worse.
I have the music off because it sucks, the animations are tried and boring. The same quips over and over, and the graphics aren't better: magic art on the regular cards (not the super special showcase or whatever) is just so same-y and muted and droll these days that I can't tell the cards apart and on arena they don't even have text. The zones stack so you have to click and examine each one, and can only look at one at a time so going back between the graveyard and the battlefield brings up the rope, which is worse than the chess clock. Good luck untangling a stack of any complexity on arena with it's overlapping targeting indicators. And when you cast things you have to click and drag, which is harder on my laptop track pad then just clicking the card on mtgo. We haven't even gotten to how wildcards are worse than trading, or about how awful deck building is in area (turning off the collection by default, applying color filters, then locking them, etc), or the massive bloat it leaves on your hard drive.

Arena is awful. Every time I am tricked into thinking there's something interesting on arena I'm reminded of this.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

No rental programs either on Arena, that's probably the biggest negative overall even if that system is sorta dumb and expensive and self-inflicted by wotc. Though the real worst part of the wildcard system is that an actual good rare costs the same as extremely trashy junk rares, so there's not much fun in brewing unless you already have everything which is a shame because it would be pretty fun to brew up dumb ideas and play some ranked ladder with them

In theory if you never stop playing and do dailies diligently every day then it's probably not the biggest deal... but man "having" to log in and do something is such a grind for me.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I basically don't disagree with any of the points made against arena, but I'm still gonna play it over MtG:O until something in me snaps and I decide to be a grinder. I love all the audio cues arena has, it provides a rhythm to the game and individual cards. edit: ok i guess i disagreed with the audio stuff. sidenote: i pity whoever makes the arena music, i have that permanently off

I remember on one of the recent Arena surveys, there was a question about "What features would you like to see on Arena", and I can't remember if it was "choose 1 from all these options" or "choose all options you want," but 'deck rentals' was one option explicitly written down (as opposed to selecting 'Other' and writing it in), which I found notable.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

quote not edit

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

re:arena sound effects - I miss when playing a gilded goose made a red-tailed hawk screech instead of a goose honk

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Arena makes the crunch noise when my big boys slam into my opponent. Bigger boys, bigger crunches. That is a good thing about Arena

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Both programs are really good but offer different things. Arena has made my win% and elo on mtgo jump significantly so that was a great byproduct of learning to think more structurally about the game by drafting a lot. Legacy and modern challenges are too good to leave behind though. Rando Leagues on mtgo offer me nothing anymore unless it’s just a new deck to me

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Nah, arena is way worse.
I have the music off because it sucks, the animations are tried and boring. The same quips over and over, and the graphics aren't better

:agreed: with these particularly. it looks like a game for babies. anyone who was around for throne of eldraine standard knows the agony of brazen borrowers and bonecrusher giants and questing beasts flying around and crashing the game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
almost nothing has significant if any animations anymore. I'm kind of surprised they haven't quietly removed some of the shittier old animations like those you mentioned, honestly.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

as a brawl player, the giant uro face still haunts me

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Judgy Fucker posted:

Arena makes the crunch noise when my big boys slam into my opponent. Bigger boys, bigger crunches. That is a good thing about Arena

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't think I've heard any of the arena sound effects or music since the beta . I wish you could turn off animations too

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Also Sarkhan sounds like Dr. Weird and that owns

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

distortion park posted:

I don't think I've heard any of the arena sound effects or music since the beta . I wish you could turn off animations too

It's criminal you can't adjust graphics settings on the phone. I have an S22 Ultra, and even on there Arena froze so often I'd lose out on guaranteed wins. It'd freeze, and the only fix was to force quit and restart, and by then I'd have roped and skipped a turn.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Good news, it regularly does that on desktop too.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Silhouette posted:

Also Sarkhan sounds like Dr. Weird and that owns

Gentlemen, behold! I turned my roommate Randall into a dragon!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Vidmaster posted:

Gentlemen, behold! I turned my roommate Randall into a dragon!

"It's not different at all, is it, Steve?!"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
two weeks till ravnica. My retro frame shocks can't get here soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

two weeks till ravnica. My retro frame shocks can't get here soon enough.

Did they give up on etched foils?
I know they're a little darker but I've been snatching them up because they curl less and are cheaper.

Retro White cards and retro lands have this sweet metallic look to them