Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Last night one of the Dukes of Hazards guys called for Biden to be hung.
Deleted since then.

Also Rudy files for bankruptcy.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1737892281040929178

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OgNar posted:

Deleted since then.

That is a terrible Burma Shave ad

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Islamic Shock posted:

If I had a job as a journalist anywhere I'd have a Post-it note somewhere with a list of known serial bullshitters who worm their way into the media, how do they not know to check by now

Why would they be motivated to check? How does cutting the bullshitters out make them or their corporate overlords more money? I would even go so far as to say specifically *not* following up and cutting out the bullshitters is positively incentivized. Hate clicks and rage tweets are still engagement.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

OgNar posted:

Deleted since then.

Also Rudy files for bankruptcy.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1737892281040929178

That first tweet is just sad. These people are beyond broke-brained. It's absolutely disheartening to watch in real time.

Rudy filing for bankruptcy makes me feel good though. I hope it was worth torching his career the way he did. I just hope those election workers get something for their trouble.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

bird food bathtub posted:

Why would they be motivated to check? How does cutting the bullshitters out make them or their corporate overlords more money? I would even go so far as to say specifically *not* following up and cutting out the bullshitters is positively incentivized. Hate clicks and rage tweets are still engagement.
Good points, you may notice that I do not have a job as a journalist

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

OgNar posted:

Deleted since then.

We already know Hunter is publicly hung so maybe Joe is too. Weird thing to want to see in your president though.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

If I had a job as a journalist anywhere I'd have a Post-it note somewhere with a list of known serial bullshitters who worm their way into the media, how do they not know to check by now

Oh, you don't even need that. Like 3rd post down in the replies to the original Rufo tweet was someone pointing out that Rufo clipped out the part where she cited the work she was paraphrasing. At most, it's sloppy drafting. They could have looked at any of the replies to the Rufo tweet or done any kind of basic fact checking on the claim. It's absurdly false. The only way you could ever print it is to say, "some people are saying...," and to do that without checking it is being an accomplice.

Also, the entire idea that university presidents should be the most epic scholars is dumb as poo poo. That's literally not what university presidents do.. as evidenced by Ken Starr and Mitch Daniels. Their job is to talk to donors and do PR. Occasionally there will be something thorny they have to navigate, but most everything else is handled by trustees. They're basically the mayor of the university. They get paid to get yelled at and fundraise. Not only is it false, it would be one of the least meaningful reasons for someone to step down as a university president. You really gotta check your brain at the door to even countenance this.

It's important to note that right wing people are sometimes not wrong in fundamental critiques of people like journalists and news media. They really do publish complete bullshit for clicks, and it's gotten worse as fewer and fewer fact checkers and copy editors are involved in stories prior to publication. It's generally not true that there's much, if any, leftwing bias in what most people would consider "mainstream," media. However, the fact that there isn't while there is also a profit motive means that right wing operatives know how to package stories to get uptake to launder their propaganda.

This has been true since the ACORN takedown, and nobody's done anything meaningful about it. It was true of the entire trans panic handwringing about bullshit that wasn't happening. There's always some loving sucker journalist ready to legitimatize some dumb right wing bullshit, no matter how patently disconnected from reality it may be. There's so little in the way of getting complete bullshit published that all it takes is one journalist at a major paper to bite and force something through.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 22, 2023

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

I AM GRANDO posted:

What are they trying to do in running against trump while also talking g about how he’s great and they grovel at his feet? Just hanging out in case he drops dead?
That is literally the plan for most of them, to position themselves as Diet Trump in case something removes Trump from the race. Some of them like Ramaswarmy are just doing it to raise their profile for future things.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Levantine posted:

That first tweet is just sad. These people are beyond broke-brained. It's absolutely disheartening to watch in real time.

Rudy filing for bankruptcy makes me feel good though. I hope it was worth torching his career the way he did. I just hope those election workers get something for their trouble.

The thing us, as I understand it, because the settlement is because of willful and malicious acts, it can't be discharged by bankruptcy. So even if he goes completely through the bankruptcy process, they get a cut of whatever money he has or will ever get.

It's telling that their second defamation suit, caused by dumbass walking out of the settlement verdict and saying the same goddamned thing he just got slapped $148M for, is for an injection on him to stop defaming them. If that goes through, which is likely, any further crap from him would be contempt of court, which could be jail time.

He keeps insisting he has proof, phone calls and videos, but that he "wasn't allowed to defend himself". Wtf was your legal team doing Rudy? And is he talking about the videos that have been debunked? Because he said of them, "which many of you have seen".

He has so lost it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

OneEightHundred posted:

That is literally the plan for most of them, to position themselves as Diet Trump in case something removes Trump from the race. Some of them like Ramaswarmy are just doing it to raise their profile for future things.
Yeah, there are five semi-overlapping reasons people are running against Trump in the Republican primary, even though they know they're not going to beat him:

1) To be the designated replacement if Trump suffers a legal or medical issue that makes him incapable of running
2) To be Trump's VP
3) To get a job (cabinet, ambassador, etc) in his administration
4) To raise their profile for future media/political career opportunities
5) To protest Trump and argue that Republicans need to change course away from Trumpism (the rarest, only Christie is working this particular lane, and halfheartedly at that)

Most of the candidates are some combination of 1/2/3/4, which leads to those weird debates where everybody spends their time sucking up to the guy who they're ostensibly trying to defeat.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

MrUnderbridge posted:

The thing us, as I understand it, because the settlement is because of willful and malicious acts, it can't be discharged by bankruptcy. So even if he goes completely through the bankruptcy process, they get a cut of whatever money he has or will ever get.

It's telling that their second defamation suit, caused by dumbass walking out of the settlement verdict and saying the same goddamned thing he just got slapped $148M for, is for an injection on him to stop defaming them. If that goes through, which is likely, any further crap from him would be contempt of court, which could be jail time.

He keeps insisting he has proof, phone calls and videos, but that he "wasn't allowed to defend himself". Wtf was your legal team doing Rudy? And is he talking about the videos that have been debunked? Because he said of them, "which many of you have seen".

He has so lost it.
Related, one somewhat effective way of hammering at J6 with conservatives is repeatedly pointing out that for some incredibly mysterious reason, the things Republican politicians say about these mountains of evidence they have is always wildly different than what they say in the one time and place where it's illegal to lie. And even more mysteriously, in that one time and place they can't come up with a single loving thing to support what they swear is true at every other possible opportunity!

Also I don't seem to recall Hillary coming down with a violent bout of amnesia every time she had to testify under oath

Edit at above: I think they might make Christie the main opponent for Trump just because he's willing to say most of the poo poo the RNC every Republican politician who cares about having any degree of power ever again wishes they could say. I think most of them are smart enough to realize Emperor Trump isn't great when you're dealing with a man who can turn on you for sneezing in the wrong direction

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 22, 2023

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ErIog posted:

It's generally not true that there's much, if any, leftwing bias in what most people would consider "mainstream," media.
I think there is some truth to it in that some outlets publish stuff that's very obviously meant for an audience with liberal values and priorities.

CNN's website (not their TV) before their leadership change was a pretty obvious case, it was like Diet HuffPo and overwhelmingly running headlines and stories designed for liberal doomscrolling.

The way I usually explain how Fox constructs a reality bubble even in their hard news sections (i.e. how to explain how something is biased even when it's factually-correct) is mainly via a.) what they consider important and newsworthy, and b.) who they give sympathetic and unsympathetic treatment in the framing of the story.

Like Fox is running constant stories about Hunter Biden bullshit, obviously, and one of their headlines right now is about a gun control regulation getting overturned, and of course they're highlighting quotes from the judge about how this is an affront to the Second Amendment. That type of story is calibrated to be sympathetic to conservative priorities and values, and provoke an emotional response from a conservative reader.

Meanwhile, NYT's US news section has a dedicated racism newsletter, 4 of its top 8 headlines right now are about racism, and 1 is about a gay Catholic couple getting married, which has exactly one short sentence in the entire article describing any kind of objection to it. This is pretty obviously calibrated to by sympathetic to liberal priorities and values.

(I would contrast that last one it with Fox's coverage of the story, but they've walled the article about it behind giving them my e-mail address, and gently caress that. I think you can take a lucky guess what the people in the comments think about it though!)

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 22, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

FMguru posted:

Yeah, there are five semi-overlapping reasons people are running against Trump in the Republican primary, even though they know they're not going to beat him:

1) To be the designated replacement if Trump suffers a legal or medical issue that makes him incapable of running
2) To be Trump's VP
3) To get a job (cabinet, ambassador, etc) in his administration
4) To raise their profile for future media/political career opportunities
5) To protest Trump and argue that Republicans need to change course away from Trumpism (the rarest, only Christie is working this particular lane, and halfheartedly at that)

Most of the candidates are some combination of 1/2/3/4, which leads to those weird debates where everybody spends their time sucking up to the guy who they're ostensibly trying to defeat.

I don't think Ramaswamy fits into any of those, personally. I think he just wants to get as rich as possible as quickly as possible, but via private ventures and not politics or media - he wants to be a titan of industry in some way, shape or form. This is just the fastest way to build his personal brand and get the attention of other high profile Republicans who might invest with him, or get him involved in deals.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

OgNar posted:

Deleted since then.

This dude is in that Hannity "Jingle Smells" Christmas movie

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Looks like (one of) those Duke boys got themselves into a whole heap of trouble!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

He's getting investigated now also.
Which he should, after all that poo poo they put Kathy Griffen through.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/john-schneider-secret-service-joe-biden-hanging-comment-1235680080/

quote:

Seriously, folks?” said Schneider to Deadline today in the second of two statements on his Biden remarks. “This is my final comment on this. I neither said nor implied any such thing. Despite headlines claiming otherwise, in my post, I absolutely did not call for an act of violence or threaten a U.S. president as many other celebrities have done in the past. I suggest you re-read my actual post and pay attention to the words before believing this nonsense.”

“It’s my position, which I am entitled to have, that some of our nations [sic.] leaders in Washington have lost their way, and corruption runs rampant, both on our nation’s borders and abroad,” Schneider went on to say. “Transparency and accountability must happen in order for our constitutional republic to survive. There is no threat implied or otherwise in that statement.”

'I didnt actually mean those things, you just read it wrong.'

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

I think there is some truth to it in that some outlets publish stuff that's very obviously meant for an audience with liberal values and priorities.

CNN's website (not their TV) before their leadership change was a pretty obvious case, it was like Diet HuffPo and overwhelmingly running headlines and stories designed for liberal doomscrolling.

That's really center-wing, though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

OgNar posted:

https://deadline.com/2023/12/john-schneider-secret-service-joe-biden-hanging-comment-1235680080/

"I think you should be killed in public" isn't a threat. Good to know!

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Levantine posted:

On the rare occasion I've expressed that opinion about a President I've always gone out of my way to specify I won't be doing the killing/getting anywhere close to the man on account of being a massive coward (not to mention the SS is very good at not letting anyone have a chance at a shot). Leaving any room for doubt when the words killed and you applying to a President are in the same sentence is something I'm slightly surprised Schneider's dumb enough to do.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Levantine posted:

I'm reminded of the pastors that say that it's actually meek and loving to say that LGBT people should be arrested, given a speedy trial, and then executed if found guilty. Why do people get all upset when we say that? We're giving them a trial, it's fine!

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I'm reminded of the pastors that say that it's actually meek and loving to say that LGBT people should be arrested, given a speedy trial, and then executed if found guilty. Why do people get all upset when we say that? We're giving them a trial, it's fine!
If God wanted an entire group of people dead He'd do it Himself. I'm pretty sure the moral lesson of Noah's ark is "if genocide is the only thing I've done and regretted, maybe don't to each other".

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

If God wanted an entire group of people dead He'd do it Himself. I'm pretty sure the moral lesson of Noah's ark is "if genocide is the only thing I've done and regretted, maybe don't to each other".

Isn't this how they justify high suicide rates, AIDS, etc?

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

In other news, Twitter chuds are extremely mad at a brief shot of gay dads and a boy dressing up in a tutu in a show aimed towards literal toddlers.

https://twitter.com/IMAO_/status/1737507643655118949
They're trying to corrupt my precious son (named for a gun manufacturer) these MONSTERS

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Panfilo posted:

Isn't this how they justify high suicide rates, AIDS, etc?
Of course. The AIDS justification being a whole lot weaker than it was when HIV was the hot new thing.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

In other news, Twitter chuds are extremely mad at a brief shot of gay dads and a boy dressing up in a tutu in a show aimed towards literal toddlers.

They're trying to corrupt my precious son (named for a gun manufacturer) these MONSTERS
These guys seriously think that toddlers are going to see two men in exactly the kind of relationship their parents are in and somehow gain even the slightest bit of sexual knowledge or curiosity from that, loving how

I think they're completely incapable of seeing two people loving each other and looking at that from the point of view of someone who has never had sexual knowledge or desire

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Dec 22, 2023

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

These guys seriously think that toddlers are going to see two men in exactly the kind of relationship their parents are in and somehow gain even the slightest bit of sexual knowledge or curiosity from that, loving how

Yeah, after spending some time looking after my young nieces, it's hilarious to even consider that they're going to see that and internalize "ah, so gender is a fluid spectrum and the fight for homosexual rights is a just cause". Kids watching this show are between ages 2 and 5. They are literally just there for the pretty colors and songs. They are going to completely forget everything that they saw in, like, an hour tops.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Republicans already made sure Hunter Biden was publicly hung

Now they're going after his dad's hog

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

30-50 feral Hunter hogs

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

OgNar posted:

Deleted since then.

Remember way back when, where affirming that Donald Trump ought to be charged with treason, convicted, sentenced to death, and hung had the mod team worried such posts might draw the attention of the secret service?

Because he absolutely ought to be hung, as per the US Constitution

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

OgNar posted:

Notice that in his excuses, he keeps saying he didn't threaten "a" president rather than the more natural "the" president?* I think he's also trying to hinge his argument on "well Biden isn't really the president since he stole the election so technically the secret service shouldn't even be looking at me, in fact they should be congratulating me and calling me a good boy".

* Yes I know "a" is also possible and in the same context as well, but I don't think that'd be most people's first choice for reasons this post is too narrow to contain.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

My 12 year old son already has a better understanding of human sexuality than these assholes. He knows what gay means. My mom and I both have gay friends.

So far as I've seen, he appears to like girls but even if he didn't it wouldn't be because of some stupid cartoon. It'd be because he likes men. It won't upset me in either case and I'm not sure why it would upset anyone else either.

Then again, I still the occasional "haha San Francisco is gay" jokes out and about. Disheartening we still have so far to go over this long settled non issue.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The word is "hanged" :argh:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Don't get hung up on that

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Brawnfire posted:

Don't get hung hanged up on that

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Brawnfire posted:

Don't get hung hangst up on that

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1738227728162439371

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Trumps comment about the airports during the Revolutionary war is without a doubt one of the dumbest things anyone has ever said.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

That's the stuff

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I dunno, Trump suggesting to inject bleach into yourself to fight covid is more dumb.
It got dumb people to believe and do it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

happyhippy posted:

I dunno, Trump suggesting to inject bleach into yourself to fight covid is more dumb.
It got dumb people to believe and do it.

Was that before, after, or in conjunction with shoving a UV light up your bunghole?

Not entirely unrelated, was that near the time he looked directly at the sun to see an eclipse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Was that before, after, or in conjunction with shoving a UV light up your bunghole?

Not entirely unrelated, was that near the time he looked directly at the sun to see an eclipse?

Bleach injections and butthole UV were the same event. It was during some pandemic press conference and a :females: was talking about things she knew because it was her job; so the raging malignant narcissist had to step in, steal the spotlight, and prove he knew everything better than her because of his bigly yuge bestest brains with the obvious, simple solutions that nobody else in the room was smart enough to figure out.