Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

bird with big dick posted:

How much disassembly do you think is done during a PDI and why do you think the salespeople would be aware of it?

I'm thinking of the technician.

When I worked at BMW, our guys would at least lift the drat hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TheBacon posted:

I wish to loving god they just put normal intermittent wipers in. I have the exact opposite problem of the bottom of intermittent and top of intermittent are basically the same on both of my BMWs.

My first car had a wiper control that as far as I can tell was just a potentiometer. You turned the end of the stalk and the wipers smoothly went from off through high. There was no situation where you had to choose between being able to see and not listening to the wipers squeak over dry glass. I know I've posted about this before, but it's one thing I just can't let go of, where the everything is digital and on the same can bus present is worse without even the pretense of a benefit. The auto wipers may suck, but at least they're intended to be a feature.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Not Wolverine posted:

https://www.techspot.com/news/101294-tesla-model-y-owner-faced-14000-repair-bill.html

Brand new Model Y experiences suspension collapse within 24hrs of delivery. Tesla bills owner for $14k repair citing "previous damage".

The real meat of this article is:
"Reuters writes that it reviewed Tesla documents and interviewed more than 20 customers and nine former Tesla managers or service technicians. It discovered that Jain's incident was one of thousands of similar cases involving relatively new vehicles dating back at least seven years. They cover Tesla's entire lineup and across the globe."

Also, don't forget wompy wheels.

Re: Wipers. My Mk3 Golf has a neat feature that lets you set the interval speed of the wipers by turning them on, then off, and then on again when the desired time between wipes has passed.

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 22, 2023

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Good automatic wipers are one of the features I really would like in a car. I remember one road trip where the rain kept varying constantly. I feel I spent more attention tinkering with the wiper speed than looking for prancing reindeers.

Other features are adaptive headlights and cruise control, and I have difficulty deciding on priority for these.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I liked my Audi A3 that would slow its wipers down by one notch when you come to a stop. That's about as much intelligence I want or need in my wipers, artificial or otherwise

Current car doesn't do that for whatever reason

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Cached Money posted:

Re: Wipers. My Mk3 Golf has a neat feature that lets you set the interval speed of the wipers by turning them on, then off, and then on again when the desired time between wipes has passed.

I can see myself playing with that constantly to get it to the fraction of a second that I'm satisfied with.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Cached Money posted:

The real meat of this article is:
"Reuters writes that it reviewed Tesla documents and interviewed more than 20 customers and nine former Tesla managers or service technicians. It discovered that Jain's incident was one of thousands of similar cases involving relatively new vehicles dating back at least seven years. They cover Tesla's entire lineup and across the globe."

Also, don't forget wompy wheels.

I can't stand tech bro Elon, I was briefly thinking about trying to find a used Tesla but LOL nope. Quotes like "Elon Musk has admitted that Tesla vehicles can ship with quality issues, many of which were reported in Model Y EVs during 2020. It's especially common when production ramps up. "When you go faster, you just discover these things," " Yeah no poo poo, you start skipping quality control steps bugs termites will plague the product. I am just looking forward to the day when a flaw with giga casting is found requiring a recall big enough to bankrupt the company.

I tried looking up whompy wheels, I guess round rims are a problem that only 100 year old car makers can solve. Reddit was about half full of comments claiming the wheels or suspension are poo poo, and a ton of posters claiming that whompy wheels is just some Australian bloke harassing the NTSA over a non-issue. There were also a few posts claiming people were obsessed with Elon and sex, somehow that is related to whompy wheels. Overall I feel like Tesla ownership is some kind of cult, even if the cars were good (they have good range for EVs but LOL build quality) I couldn't see myself drinking that flavor of Kool-aid.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Data Graham posted:

I liked my Audi A3 that would slow its wipers down by one notch when you come to a stop. That's about as much intelligence I want or need in my wipers, artificial or otherwise

That's a cool feature and how I use my manual ones sat at lights.

Uthor posted:

I can see myself playing with that constantly to get it to the fraction of a second that I'm satisfied with.

I'm trying to remember which of my dad's cars had a little 4/5 position toggle on the stalk to set the interval for the intermittent wipe.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm trying to remember which of my dad's cars had a little 4/5 position toggle on the stalk to set the interval for the intermittent wipe.

That sounds like unusually many positions. I would think most manufacturers would have gone analog before that point.

My 2007 BMW has automatic wipers that work pretty well. But this summer I did a Rain-X style coating on the windshield and I got the feeling the auto wipers didn't work as well anymore. It would make sense that it would change the sensor behaviour.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fatrick posted:

I'm thinking of the technician.

When I worked at BMW, our guys would at least lift the drat hood.

The part in question isn’t just under the hood it’s beneath the frunk ie you would have to start disassembling the car to find it.

Which I thought was made pretty clear by the article.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, that and the little courtesy wipe for the rear window if your main wipers are on and you select reverse are nice little features. In exchange, I've got 4 intermittent settings and I almost always want a speed in-between them. Thanks VW.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's a cool feature and how I use my manual ones sat at lights.

My jetta (and presumably a million other vw-flavored things) has a little wheel on top of the stalk for that. I assume it's because they've got a wheel on the indicator stalk to set/enable the cruise control, and this works out to less parts to make or whatever.

Better than the old mercedes "put everything on one stalk" nonsense, even if it is sorta unnecessary and fiddly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I had a MkIV Jetta before the A3 and I loved the flavor of its innovations. Really just the best era of cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CttdIFVusqg

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Saukkis posted:

That sounds like unusually many positions. I would think most manufacturers would have gone analog before that point.

My 2007 BMW has automatic wipers that work pretty well. But this summer I did a Rain-X style coating on the windshield and I got the feeling the auto wipers didn't work as well anymore. It would make sense that it would change the sensor behaviour.

I don’t know the exact count but it seems like my superduty has like 7 positions and it’s honestly too many

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The 996 (and I presume other porsches) have a low/high/intermittent stalk switch with a variable delay length dial on the dash.

....which I *always* forget about so the wipers are never the right intermittent speed.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Rain sensing wipers own, killer feature. Miss me with constantly tinkering with wiper speed adjustments. Both my 20 year old BMW and new Mazda have them and work great 98% of the time here in rainy Seattle.

But it’s no surprise Tesla manages to way over complicate and enshittify something that has been largely solved for decades at this point, like everything else in their cars. gently caress off with software and “AI” for god drat wipers jfc. And the Elon stooges that think any of this is novel like they’ve never been in a car fancier than a 90s Ford Taurus.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cactus Ghost posted:

cars now are filled with extraneous horseshit doodads but rain sensing wipers probably take the cake. i can already sense the rain fine

I have them on my '05 Cayenne...but it doesn't have automatic headlights (:psyduck:) so I've killed the battery twice :(

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

quote:

NHTSA made Tesla update its software to keep drivers more engaged while Autopilot is active, and apparently the update makes cabin cameras overheat... can't wait to see where this goes

https://bsky.app/profile/niedermeyer.io/post/3kh44cs6orw2i

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PainterofCrap posted:

I have them on my '05 Cayenne...but it doesn't have automatic headlights (:psyduck:) so I've killed the battery twice :(

Does it not bong at you if you try to get out with the lights still on?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I still don't know how I feel about the automatic brights. I understand that it's safer to see more, but it's very jarring and I feel bad when it does it in residential areas. Maybe I need to get used to it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I don't understand automatic brights, but automatic Daytime Running Lights and Headlights are nice. The Q7 I have has the automatic wipers too that adjust with road speed too, which are neat.

But its just laughable that you'd use a neural network or machine learning for wipers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My wiper controls work in the objectively correct way. a knob you rotate left from center to increase speed on intermittent, or rotate right from center to increase speed on constant wipe

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I keep seeing cars on the road with their brights on in the distance, as they get closer their headlights go into disco mode flashing between low and high beams. Automatic head beams are not ready for this world.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah the only automatic feature that I miss is headlights. It’s nice to set them to “a” and never think about them again (except when the service dudes turn them off)

Oh and cruise control. That’s a must-have for my current lifestyle.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not Wolverine posted:

I keep seeing cars on the road with their brights on in the distance, as they get closer their headlights go into disco mode flashing between low and high beams. Automatic head beams are not ready for this world.

lol writing trigger/rearm code with no debounce margin

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I remember my old man pitching a fit when Chrysler or whoever came out with the multifunction stalk that did wipers, cruise control, signals, brights.

The drat cruise control operation of those things was a fiddly mess.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Data Graham posted:

I think all VW group cars from a certain era onward do that, rain sensing wipers or not. It is definitely a very neat touch and removes at least one instance of needing to fiddle with the stalk when you probably want to focus on whatever you were stopping for, traffic lights, stop sign, waiting for the worst torrential rain to pass on the shoulder while other morons on the road are doing the speed limit despite visibility being near zero, etc.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

I remember my old man pitching a fit when Chrysler or whoever came out with the multifunction stalk that did wipers, cruise control, signals, brights.

The drat cruise control operation of those things was a fiddly mess.
That's literally every GM car prior to the era of steering wheel controls. I miss those days, it was glorious to have every single vehicle control you possibly need all on one stick.

But then people wanted radio controls on the steering wheel since reaching over 12 inches is too much work, and then Bluetooth came along and suddenly your steering wheel is controlling your phone too. Modern steering wheels have more distractions on them than actual driving functions.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Notice how the first guy's response to being monitored for attentive driving is to cover the camera.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

I want blink-detect wipers that go fast enough that I don't even see them cycle. *blink* water wiped

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Not Wolverine posted:

That's literally every GM car prior to the era of steering wheel controls. I miss those days, it was glorious to have every single vehicle control you possibly need all on one stick.

But then people wanted radio controls on the steering wheel since reaching over 12 inches is too much work, and then Bluetooth came along and suddenly your steering wheel is controlling your phone too. Modern steering wheels have more distractions on them than actual driving functions.

Not my grandfather's 2001 Astra - that had a stalk for wipers, a stalk for indicators and the rest of the lights on a dashboard knob. No cruise and no radio controls.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

My 996 has four delicate little stalks and I love it.

Upper Left: turn signals
Lower left: multifunction screen

Upper right: wipers
Lower right: cruise control

None of them have buttons or dials.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:lol:

https://twitter.com/jasonfenske13/status/1738294620889739720?t=MX5Y-eqL5CuqTGWAck3bkw&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Know what normal wipers don't struggle at? This.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Data Graham posted:

I had a MkIV Jetta before the A3 and I loved the flavor of its innovations. Really just the best era of cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CttdIFVusqg

The only bad thing about this is you can apparently do it with the remote locking, but only by loving with the computer via [a friend with] vagcom.

I guess it's less nice to be able to open all the windows and wait a couple minutes in the summer when you've got remote start or whatever, though.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Zenostein posted:

The only bad thing about this is you can apparently do it with the remote locking, but only by loving with the computer via [a friend with] vagcom.

I guess it's less nice to be able to open all the windows and wait a couple minutes in the summer when you've got remote start or whatever, though.

I knew what commercial that was before clicking and it’s even better than I remember.

That being said, my first Grand Caravan would do that remotely if you just held down unlock button on the key fob. Remote start was standard on all models too, since they introduced a computer controlled starter with that model.

I also needed a recall on that one because the key could sit between run and start and you’d be driving around with no accessories on, including dash lights or headlights. So you know Daimler-Chrysler things.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

At first, I was like "Yeah? My wiper turns on automatically when I go in reverse and it's nice." Then I realized they are talking about the windshield wipers and not the rear window wiper. :lol:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

I still don't know how I feel about the automatic brights. I understand that it's safer to see more, but it's very jarring and I feel bad when it does it in residential areas. Maybe I need to get used to it

I know I don’t like them. I have them and on winding roads it turns off and on too much, and is not sufficiently good at spotting oncoming drivers before blinding them, so I’ve turned them off. I frequently notice what appears to be the same from oncoming drivers when I’m going up and down the hill on I-80 at night to and from Reno; they’ll pass a car ahead of me and the brights turn on. Could also be overactive rear end in a top hat drivers but I’m calling occams razor on this one; an rear end in a top hat / oblivious driver would just leave them on entirely.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Teslas don't have a rear wiper. The front ones are only there for regulation compliance. It never rains in LA, why would you need functioning wipers?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Does it not bong at you if you try to get out with the lights still on?

NO, IT DOES NOT

dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

NO, IT DOES NOT

dammit

I did this on my 03 Cavalier with an after market stereo that disabled the alerts.

My BMW has a push button ignition. I've forgotten to turn the engine off twice, thankfully on really quick stops. I ended up hacking the system so it at least beeps at me if I lock the doors with the engine running, which has stopped me from doing it again several other times.

My mom's Honda beeps if you walk away from the running car with the key in your pocket, which can be annoying if your just running to grab something or to help someone get into the car, but it serves a good purpose.