Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My girlfriend loves going to craft fairs, and man those dragons are everywhere at them now. The first time I saw them I thought the guy selling them had designed them, but quickly realized nope, people just print other people's work and sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Slugworth posted:

My girlfriend loves going to craft fairs, and man those dragons are everywhere at them now. The first time I saw them I thought the guy selling them had designed them, but quickly realized nope, people just print other people's work and sell it.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. First time I saw an entire booth of silk PLA prints, I was like, okay, someone got a 3D printer. Now they're everywhere.

I wonder how long this will last.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
3d printers are the new Cricuts of the craft world.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

There were at least three booths at NYCC selling them for $50-60

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Sockser posted:

There were at least three booths at NYCC selling them for $50-60

Yeah count a few of us in here as people selling dragons at events.

I suspect this is the last year youre really going to see them at events. Cheap bambu printers really put this stuff in a weird "I'm an independent girl business owner" territory that everyone wants to jump into for a quick buck .

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

independent girl business

:stonklol:

e: All the booths I've seen appear to be run by middle-aged men. :shrug:

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Cinderwing's $10/mo Patreon membership includes a full commercial license to sell finished prints, so lots of people on are that bandwagon (myself included). I don't do events, but word of mouth travels fast in my little podunk town and I usually have three or four requests a week for various dragons and dragon eggs. It's an easy little side hustle that doesn't even really cut into my own personal printing, I just run the paid jobs before I go to bed.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Im going to come out and be the non popular opinion and say that the 'original' cinderwing dragon is the popular one. But she is making MAD money hand over fist but her Patrion is a big waste of time.

She (or she had someone) design the dragon, and she has possession of all the step or model files, and her sole release each month is to remove the crystal and add ... a rose. next month its spider webs.... now a sunflower ... etc

Its the 'Hudsucker Proxy' hoola hoop all over. Now, I have had a handful of people ask about the different versions, or those with wings, but hands down the most popular is that crystal dragon and I will ride the tide until they start washing up on the NJ shoreline. She just is like any other popular thing over the last 10 years.. made something insanely popular and rides that to the bank. I see the 'next' thing being a guy who makes flexi axolotls, or maybe the flexi factory guy.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Rexxed posted:

Used this filament, it works pretty well with the usual caveat about silk PLA. I had the best results at 220C with 60C on the bed. At 50C on the bed I had some sections get loose so I ended up losing one print to that at like 85% through, and one print to a power outage. The filament isn't as bright as some of the multicolor ones and each roll seems to have about the same color mix which is not what the picture of the rolls shows on amazon, but I printed some from each roll to start on different colors.

Because I am kind of paranoid, I have everything important on a UPS, 3d printers included. My area will get the occasional sag or outright loss of power, and I would hate to lose a lot of work and waste materials due to one.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Flexi axolotls, you say?

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/adorable-articulated-axolotl-print-in-place-body-snap-fit-head-cute-flexi

Or my personal favorite, his Robolotl (which should have been called the Robotolotl)

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/robolotl-robot-axolotl-anniversary-edition-print-in-place-body-cute-flexi

I really like MMM's stuff, he gives things a little extra bit of character that a lot of other designers don't. Been thinking about joining his Patreon as well.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Because I am kind of paranoid, I have everything important on a UPS, 3d printers included. My area will get the occasional sag or outright loss of power, and I would hate to lose a lot of work and waste materials due to one.

This is what I do as well. I got an inexpensive Eaton 5PX 1000va UPS with a dead battery, swapped in a new one and it's been running for a couple years now. I've got pretty rear end power that kicks off for a few seconds overnight at least once a week, and it's saved a lot of things over the years. I've got a couple cheaper ones around the house for various things too. They pop up on Facebook Marketplace for surprisingly good deals on a regular basis around here, often with dead batteries that are a pretty cheap fix.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 22, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Slugworth posted:

The Cinderwing designer gives out resale licenses

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

cruft posted:

:stonklol:

e: All the booths I've seen appear to be run by middle-aged men. :shrug:

Ahaha, this was a mistype from rephrasing things.

It's the wine mom crowd but very much guys running things to get rich quick. Stlflix is the same weird thing, and this is all going to get overcrowded in the same way that fidget spinners came and went

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Acid Reflux posted:

Flexi axolotls, you say?

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/adorable-articulated-axolotl-print-in-place-body-snap-fit-head-cute-flexi

Or my personal favorite, his Robolotl (which should have been called the Robotolotl)

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/robolotl-robot-axolotl-anniversary-edition-print-in-place-body-cute-flexi

I really like MMM's stuff, he gives things a little extra bit of character that a lot of other designers don't. Been thinking about joining his Patreon as well.

Thats the one. I see them selling almost equal to the dragons in most cases

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Yeah, I have like a dozen UPSes but the storm took out power for like 6 hours and I didn't rush to setup the generator at 1am.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
On my large voron I run the UPS battery on everything other than the bed. The small one makes it significantly harder because it uses a DC bed.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Thanks for the link! One of my friends gave me a roll of shiny multicolor blue/purple Silk PLA for my birthday. She's a huge cryptid nut, so I'm now printing one of these in the filament she gave me. It'll be a cool Christmas present.

I have terrible luck with Silk PLA and bed adhesion (regular PLA and most PLA+ sticks wonderfully) but I turned down the speed and acceleration quite a bit, and so far at least the head with an extra brim is staying put.

I only have the Bambu Textured PEI plate. Is the smooth one any better for bed adhesion on PLA/Silk PLA? Does anyone know of a good article that explains the pros and cons of each plate type?

Edit: Don't know why I was thinking the axolotl was a cryptid. Just a cool weird animal. She'll still love it.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 23, 2023

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

WhiteHowler posted:

Thanks for the link! One of my friends gave me a roll of shiny multicolor blue/purple Silk PLA for my birthday. She's a huge cryptid nut, so I'm now printing one of these in the filament she gave me. It'll be a cool Christmas present.

I have terrible luck with Silk PLA and bed adhesion (regular PLA and most PLA+ sticks wonderfully) but I turned down the speed and acceleration quite a bit, and so far at least the head with an extra brim is staying put.

I only have the Bambu Textured PEI plate. Is the smooth one any better for bed adhesion on PLA/Silk PLA? Does anyone know of a good article that explains the pros and cons of each plate type?

Did you try cleaning that bambu plate with regular dawn dish soap?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Google Butt posted:

Did you try cleaning that bambu plate with regular dawn dish soap?

I did right before I started the current print.

So far the head is printing fine, but it's only a two-hour print. The body is going to be an all-day thing, so that's the one I'm a little more nervous about.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I did right before I started the current print.

So far the head is printing fine, but it's only a two-hour print. The body is going to be an all-day thing, so that's the one I'm a little more nervous about.

You’re also setting the material type as a silk? I only ask because I’ve printed a mini in silk PLA and had no issues.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mrbass21 posted:

You’re also setting the material type as a silk? I only ask because I’ve printed a mini in silk PLA and had no issues.

I did. It's usually only a problem with taller stuff. It just seems not to adhere as well as the normal PLA.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Quoting myself to repeat the advice for printing silks on a Bambu printer that I offered to someone else earlier this month. Been doing this pretty much nonstop for a few weeks now, printing silks almost exclusively for gifts and dragon orders, and the few failures I've had can almost all be attributed to something I personally did wrong. Not saying my way is the best or only way by any means, but it's been working really well so far. :)

Acid Reflux posted:

Bed temp to 65, nozzle temp to at least 220. 225 might be better depending on the specific filament. Print slower, especially the outer wall - about 75mm/sec max for that to make sure it keeps the nice silk shine. I usually reduce all the other stock speed values by about a third.

Silk filaments are a bit more gooey than regular PLA and almost universally like higher temperatures and lower speeds.

Lastly, if that's Grid infill, use Gyroid instead. Grid is really, really, really bad with high speed printing. It'll start to blob up where it crosses over itself, often leaving a big enough blob for the nozzle to catch on and tear the print right off the plate, sometimes actually bending the nozzle in the process.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Are there any situations where grid infill is better than gyroid?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Splode posted:

Grid can be significantly faster. Gyroid is my go to though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

grid is faster

it can theoretically segment the interior of the part into watertight cells, which might be useful in a few rare cases

it's got anisotropic physical properties (stiffer in the vertical dimension than from the sides, and also see-through-able along that axis alone), which also might be useful in a few rare cases

that's about all i can think of. i rarely care about achieving high speed so i stick with gyroid most of the time.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I’ve switched to adaptive cubic as my standard infill over gyroid for my Bambu, because when it does gyroid infill it shakes so much it sounds like it’s trying to walk away. I still use gyroid on my bed slingers though.

Honestly most infill types seem niche, and I think grid is only the default some places because it’s simple.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lightning infill is awesome if you don't need internal stiffness. Really fun to watch it print, too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Splode posted:

Gyroid infill makes my printer make loud noises

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

I love gyroid but it doesn't let you hitax accel as well as other infill.

I use adaptive-cubic/cubic 90% of the time

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm morally opposed to all infill patterns that cross previously extruded lines at the same height. Gyroid 4 everything 4 life.

e: or rectilinear 100% density.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 23, 2023

smax
Nov 9, 2009

w00tmonger posted:

I use adaptive-cubic/cubic 90% of the time

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Ok so I've finally really started using and learning how to use my resin printer.

Where are good brick and mortar places, or even websites to go look up to try and find gallons of 99% isopropyl alcohol?

Currently just buying off Amazon for $75 for 4 gallons and I'm wondering if there are better solutions that may be cheaper.

Caveat: I live in Southern California.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Where are good brick and mortar places, or even websites to go look up to try and find gallons of 99% isopropyl alcohol?

When I found big ol' jugs of IPA for use with resin printing, it was from a painting supplies (as in house painting etc), since it's a common solvent for cleaning up oil-based paints.
Big 5L jugs.

If I'd take another swing at it, I'd look at bioethanol/denatured ethanol as a possibly less smelly option, as that too is fairly easy to find in bulk here in Norway.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Ok so I've finally really started using and learning how to use my resin printer.

Currently just buying off Amazon for $75 for 4 gallons and I'm wondering if there are better solutions that may be cheaper.

Caveat: I live in Southern California.

$75 for 4 gallons is probably about the best you're going to find. IPA is rather expensive. Here's what I got: https://a.co/d/dnnO5rJ

I could not find a brick & mortar source, but I didn't look that hard either.

SubNat posted:

When I found big ol' jugs of IPA for use with resin printing, it was from a painting supplies (as in house painting etc), since it's a common solvent for cleaning up oil-based paints.
Big 5L jugs.

If I'd take another swing at it, I'd look at bioethanol/denatured ethanol as a possibly less smelly option, as that too is fairly easy to find in bulk here in Norway.

No denatured ethanol(Denatured Alcohol) in CA. Got banned a few years back and it's hard to find in meaningful quantity.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Cali and denatured thing is unfortunate. It's easier to get here, and smells a LOT better than ISO.

Can you get a distiller license in CA? 😂

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Y'all talking about buying gallons of alcohol made me think: what was it like during the height of COVID when alcohol was hard to come by? Just let your printers hibernate?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Unperson_47 posted:

Y'all talking about buying gallons of alcohol made me think: what was it like during the height of COVID when alcohol was hard to come by? Just let your printers hibernate?

We traded leads on where to get it. I bought a half gallon.. and still have most of it. And it's where we developed the techniques for saving the alcohol. Using the sun, filtering, multiple baths, etc...

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Unperson_47 posted:

Resin printing wasn't as widespread as it is now (although it was getting there), but yeah, it took a bit of a downturn at the time. Since a lot of resin stuff is for miniatures and cosplay, and tabletop gaming and conventions are both human interaction zones which were a good way to catch covid at the time, that also dampened the resin printing phase. The IPA doesn't get totally used up since you can UV cure and filter and reuse it a lot, though, so it doesn't require constant new supply after your initial big outlay as long as your containers seal well.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Early in the pandemic, I stopped printing with my resin printer to help conserve IPA for people who needed it. Don't think it really affected anything but I felt weird using it to print essentially useless tchotchkes.

Later on it was a bit hard to find higher concentrations, especially locally. I remember not seeing 90% at Walmart for a long time.

Zorro KingOfEngland fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

My poor resin printer has been sitting idle for months and months, I just haven't been printing stuff that would benefit from that level of detail. I've been toying with the idea of donating it to the local maker space that a couple of my friends are involved with (and that I still haven't visited because ew, people) and just buying something newer whenever the need or want arises again.