Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Wibla posted:

This seems like a sane solution, particularly as it keeps the heat pump happy. You can get very good COP factor from air source heat pumps if you install them correctly, particularly in the UK where it doesn't get very cold.

Power has to be very expensive for a wood boiler to be worth it, IMO. I would be more worried about a prolonged power outage. But then the problem becomes having enough backup power to run circulation pumps and control circuits...

We've had some wild price swings in the most recent years, I think prices reached 1€/kWh at worst but hovered around 30-50 cents /kWh. I had a fixed subscription so I ended up paying 30 cents + transfer costs for the winter months. Now we're at 9.95 cents this year, which is still nearly twice what electricity prices used to be before 2021.

And yeah power failure is another reason I'd like some additional backup for where I live. It makes a lot less sense for me to do it regardless, since my house is already built. But if 99 can swing it while still at this stage of house building I would go for it in his shoes. That extra flexibility is nice to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I thought your house tapped in to geothermal energy through the foundation 99

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Got a LexisNexis update this morning saying that HMRC won't accept any invoices that don't have a date of issue for DIY housebuilder VAT refunds and thought of 99

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Party Boat posted:

Got a LexisNexis update this morning saying that HMRC won't accept any invoices that don't have a date of issue for DIY housebuilder VAT refunds and thought of 99

Do you even get a receipt when you barter an old lawnmower for 2000 styrofoam concrete blocks in the B&Q car park?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Parents are over from La France for xmas.

Complaining about the mud already.

Found another company listing the italian buffer tank so figured I'd order it.

Its only bloody turned up!

It does not match the drawings! but does have the things I need, just slightly in the wrong places.

Its also quite cheap lol, plastic case etc. But also was quite cheap so fair enough.

Its the tank on the top right, and doesnt have inputs/outputs at 180 degrees, but at 90 to one another. Which is probably going to be easier to package nicely just need to redo the model.

Things have slowed up this week. Done gently caress all. Xmas and poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

quote:

It does not match the drawings! but does have the things I need, just slightly in the wrong places.

Its also quite cheap lol, plastic case etc. But also was quite cheap so fair enough.

I thought Daleks were more conical?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's a christmas miracle!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No flared base.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Absolute mad lads, actually sending (almost) what you've ordered.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Still struggling to get the plant room ready to even start thinking about running all the copper pipes round for the heating/hot water system.

Bought another big metal box the same as the consumer unit so it matches nicely. I'll use this to run all the lighting wiring to and terminate everything in here with a bunch of smart dimmer type boards that will most likely, eventually, come from China. Run some network cables here too so it can all report back to the house brain in the server cabinet in the loft.

But the box doesn't have the right internals to fit everything in that I need. So I'll throw away the insides and make up my own.

This gets thrown away.

And heres a new backboard cut ready to slot in instead.

Mount din rails and tidy trunking on it, they'll be another din rail at the bottom but I mangled it puttign it through the saw lol.

Get a bunch of these wago din rail terminals

And click em all in according to the plan

Still lots of bits I haven't ordered.

Removed the consumer unit and trunking, tidied up my poo poo plastering and whacked it all back up. I've moved it down like a foot to leave as much space as possible at the end where I've realised I can fit a Tesla powerwall battery in some day.

Hacked a hole in the trunking and put up the lighting control box

Its allowed me slightly better access to the backwall to plaster. But now need to untangle all this mess and run it round into the lighting box and get everything neatly terminated

That'll happen... not today

Fixed the pub fence again, high winds.

And made a safe and secure walkway for my elderly parents to keep out of the mud whilst enjoying xmas in the camper.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

do your parents at least rate a break room with a handwashing area

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've left them a crowbar so they can lift one of the drain covers to empty their chemical toilet thing down. It is christmas after all.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My dad says the heat pumps never going to work properly where I've put it.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop
You should buy him an account for xmas

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

theparag0n posted:

You should buy him an account for xmas

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
NotJustANumber98

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You should buy him a pipe.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

My dad says the heat pumps never going to work properly where I've put it.

:allears:

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
It's not ideal but it's hardly loving Jotundheim round the back of your house is it?
Tell him I said that. Tell him from me.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Towards L shape architecture: My dad says it's never going to work properly

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
loving boomers always hate on heat pumps, ignore him

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

niethan posted:

loving boomers always hate on heat pumps, ignore him

It's true! I got to my parents' for the holidays and heard "heat pumps don't work here" within a day, completely unprompted.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

pokeyman posted:

It's true! I got to my parents' for the holidays and heard "heat pumps don't work here" within a day, completely unprompted.

Where is that? Better be Alaska or somewhere similar

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

Heat pumps work just fine throughout Scandinavia

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Well exactly. Mine is just fine up here at 1700m in the Alps.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

He might have meant it wouldn't work here as in it was made in the UK.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

:lol:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

He might have meant it wouldn't work here as in it was made in the UK.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

knox_harrington posted:

Calgary. (They work fine for the vast majority of the year.)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Here in Ottawa last winter we had a weekend where I think it got to -32C - apparently to find a colder weekend you have to go back to 1981.

There was a post on the local subreddit that was like "Just for those wondering, here's how my heat pump did over the cold weekend" and basically it worked fine to keep the house warm, even without having any kind of backup heat like it seems is often recommended.

So yeah, as long as you get a "cold climate heat pump" if your climate is that cold, you'll be fine.

I'd imagine much colder than that and you might be in trouble... but there aren't too many places on earth where people actually live that get *much* colder than that.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 23, 2023

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
When it's too cold for a heat pump, what happens? I know below around 4 degrees C it starts getting less and less efficient, but once you get below -25C, does it just become unable to heat your house to the target temperature or does it conk out completely?

Where I live it only drops below zero C a handful of times in the dead of night in the dead of winter for a few hours, if at all, so this is all very alien to me.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

No they have a resistive electric heater as a backup which is obviously much less efficient. But you still get heating. I don't think mine has ever come on.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Most in the UK have a minimum of around -10 if I recall. I looked at it but I would want one that can have air conditioning because my happy medication (and cuddleness as a result of kebabs) mean I get a bit hot during summer.

I would also want to add 4 additional in roof solar but I can’t do that for a bit because restrictive covenants etc.

Until then, gas and portable AC

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Heatpumps made for the Nordic market will handle -25C without much issue, but obviously the COP factor is no longer 5 at that point :v:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well except for ground source pumps

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

knox_harrington posted:

No they have a resistive electric heater as a backup which is obviously much less efficient. But you still get heating. I don't think mine has ever come on.

Most air source can only heat water to between 45-55celsius so they are also fitted with a 3kw(sometimes 5kw) immersion heater to top it up if you require a higher temperature. Obviously during times that the heat pump is struggling to make temperature the immersion pulls more weight.

Salisbury Snape fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Dec 23, 2023

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Also here in Ottawa with a heat pump for winter for the first time.
It hasn't been particularly cold yet, I think -14 C so far? Absolutely no issues.

It of course costs significantly more than gas heating like we had in our old home but this house has no gas service and I don't want it, so there you go.

Our heat pump has no built-in heating backup because the house already had baseboard electric heaters that we just kept to be the backup. I'm curious to see if we'll ever need to turn them on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Gas heat is so cheap here in upstate ny and it does get down below 0F, -20C ish, a time or two over the winter so that’s what I’d be worried about. Resistive heat just doesn’t sound like a reasonable backup for old construction - I’ve lived in apartments with electric baseboard heat and they’re so expensive to run