Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

It of course costs significantly more than gas heating like we had in our old home but this house has no gas service and I don't want it, so there you go.

hosed up. I think heat pumps are like 5x cheaper than gas in Europe but idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
gas is like ten times as expensive in Europe compared to north america so that checks out

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Splode posted:

When it's too cold for a heat pump, what happens? I know below around 4 degrees C it starts getting less and less efficient, but once you get below -25C, does it just become unable to heat your house to the target temperature or does it conk out completely?

Where I live it only drops below zero C a handful of times in the dead of night in the dead of winter for a few hours, if at all, so this is all very alien to me.

My heat pump is rated to 100% heating capacity down to -17C and will still heat to full temp down to -34C and can maintain 10C output down to -40.

"Heat pumps" are not a monolithic technology anymore, and getting one tuned to your climate is what responsible installers do.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Or get one of eBay from a disabled lady

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

You also need to have the heat pump unit in a sensible location, mine is under the terrace (on a very steep hill) and I think it doesn't get that cold under there. It gets pretty cold up here a few times through winter.

The house construction is obviously important, this is a new build place with good insulation and it doesn't cost very much to heat at all.

Gratuitous chalet phot:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

That's a shed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

You also need to have the heat pump unit in a sensible location, mine is under the terrace (on a very steep hill) and I think it doesn't get that cold under there. It gets pretty cold up here a few times through winter.

The house construction is obviously important, this is a new build place with good insulation and it doesn't cost very much to heat at all.

Gratuitous chalet phot:

Would live in that shed.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Wanna meet that shed.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

goatface posted:

Would live in that shed.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Dead Goon posted:

That's a shed.

2 story shed. Would live in.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Gonna be a bugger to get the lawnmower out of that. Rubbish.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Messadiah posted:

3 story shed.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Dead Goon posted:

That's a shed.

I would trade my house for that shed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How do I go about relocating my apartment into one of the disused corners of that shed.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

knox_harrington posted:

No they have a resistive electric heater as a backup which is obviously much less efficient. But you still get heating. I don't think mine has ever come on.

Often they do, but it's not mandatory. In the UK you wouldn't need it. There are heat pumps rated down to -25C or something and below that they mostly just get less efficient... though there are at some point problems with the coils icing up. Of course it would have to be a real freak event for anywhere in the UK to get that cold. I think I remember seeing -14C once for one crazy cold morning in about... 2010? But typically for most of the UK -5 or 6C seems to be about the coldest it ever gets, right?

Fidelitious posted:

Also here in Ottawa with a heat pump for winter for the first time.
It hasn't been particularly cold yet, I think -14 C so far? Absolutely no issues.

It of course costs significantly more than gas heating like we had in our old home but this house has no gas service and I don't want it, so there you go.

Our heat pump has no built-in heating backup because the house already had baseboard electric heaters that we just kept to be the backup. I'm curious to see if we'll ever need to turn them on.

Yeah we're looking at maybe switching over to air-source heat pump in conjunction with rooftop solar 'cause it's probably the only way it makes sense financially.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 24, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think NJAN is down in the south enough he'll not get cold cold more than a few weeks a year. If that.

It's gonna be 12C/55F on Christmas day round here. Winter is hosed.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

goatface posted:

I think NJAN is down in the south enough he'll not get cold cold more than a few weeks a year. If that.

It's gonna be 12C/55F on Christmas day round here. Winter is hosed.

It's 13c outside ATM, at half seven at night. It's great for the heating bill but frightening long term.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Everything is frightening long term

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

niethan posted:

Everything is frightening long term

Potential thread title imo. Or " frighteningly long term" , either works

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Don't worry it'll snow in April.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't think i've ever seen temperatures lower than -3, and I used to live near Newcastle. If I recall correctly people were starting to talk about putting on a coat, it was a huge scandal.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

when global warming gets bad enough to dump all of greenland's ice into the north atlantic, stopping the thermocycle of water, europe will get much much colder very fast and you will be wishing your heat pump was rated for -30c or whatever. Along with wishing there was still food.

merry xmas NJAN99. I hope by next christmas you'll be living in your L.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Pretty much, that also weakens the jet stream so it’s a double whammy

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
So much for global warming

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The collapse of society will make us less concerned about heat. We'll have everything on fire to keep us warm.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

99 is set when society collapses, just pour some concrete between the pilings and the bunker is ready to go. Easy.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

I would rather go full Colin Furze myself and put a bunker under my garden

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Failed Imagineer posted:

hosed up. I think heat pumps are like 5x cheaper than gas in Europe but idk

I checked gas rates and unless I've hosed up the therm -> cubic meter conversion it looks like the average UK price is about 2.8x more expensive than here.

I'd also say that our house is from the 50s and not the best insulated thing in the world. I have to get around to sealing all the drafts now that I've found my thermal camera.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
If you want to get deep into the numbers, the Microgeneration Certification Scheme produce a calculation sheet for heat pump sizing and you can get it here: https://mcscertified.com/mcs-launch-new-improved-heat-pump-calculator/ along with the standard MIS-3005.
Heat pumps specified using this method reference an outside temperature that is exceeded for 99% or 99.6% of the hours in an average year, depending on whether the heat pump is designed to run intermittently or full time when heating the house during that outside temp.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What you could do is if it gets too cold, build the heat pump its own air conditioned house.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Get a ground source heat pump

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Starbucks posted:

Get a ground source heat pump

If I see you post in the thread where I've got powers

You're dead

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You're dead

Call that ground beef

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You're dead

I’m more talking about if it gets too cold for an air source heat pump you get a ground source heat pump. It won’t be that cold in the UK at least for a good few years.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Starbucks posted:

I’m more talking about if it gets too cold for an air source heat pump you get a ground source heat pump. It won’t be that cold in the UK at least for a good few years.

Ok death sentence lifted

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

YuLe tidings mofos.

Yeah so I've done very little recently and feel like doing even less in the coming days.

My dad is here "helping".

What little ability and patience I have instantly evaporate into toddler level bolshy sulking. which is not ideal on things like this:

test 45 degree cut on some leftover softwood

yeah. doesnt look right

dad pressures me into cutting the oak anyway, which to be fair wtf else am i planning on doing?

dogshit. just burnt its way through, a jink in the middle because it wasnt properly setup and ultimately isnt 45 degrees anyway. loving merry xmas

also isnt oak, but ork

anyway. off to brothers gaff in the cotswolds for xmas.

a work in progress itself.

lovely bathroom

found the flush

rest of family are in airbnb over the road. this is my bedroom

which is normally my 3 year old neice's room.

the ensuite:

last minute xmas shopping for dad.

this is actually a legit good present. he said he wanted some balsa wood to glue to the lid of his campervan so when the satellite dish folds down it sits on it. smashed it.

loving midgnight xmas eve trying to drunkenly wrap this ffs for nephew

this is what i get:

a printed out picture of some toolstation stuff to collect. great

got this too later when i said i needed it. my dad much prefers shopping to working when he offers to help. but thats actually pretty preferable

oh and the company that sold me the buffer tank send me a free xmas gift t shirt lol

lol i wasn't involved but last thing before we leave my brothers we need to run some electrics for the new gas combi boiler thats getting installed whilst hes away at other grandads (whose mega minted). anyway boiler complains about low flow and long story short someones smashed a rosebush stake through the house's main gas supply.

New, short term plan for my electrics. run the commando power round the front of the house and under in the now unnecessary header conduits run under the house for when there was going to be a ground source heatpump

Pull it through in plant room and temp wire it into a circuit in the main house from there.

safest to use one of the big fat oven wires as they are indepent and run solely for that so no danger of accidentally powering up other sockets or anything

works great. can now shut all the doors and keep heat in and work almost like a real house.

Meanwhile starting to plug in all the lighting wiring into the lighting distribution box

to gradually tidy up the plant room and get everything ready to actually fix up al my piperuns and install the heatpump and all that crap

not finished yet but pretty tidy.

outside I went for a wander into the swamp

the project rolls into 2024 and i'm not dead yet.

Happy New Year you filthy animals

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 1, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lmao.

Happy New Year, hope you get this poo poo done this year.

Nice to see that your particular madness is genetic.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are square toilets normal in England?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

o7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal