Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it would be either The Beatles or some jazz record, but otherwise 100% true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lol goddamn

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Man, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie is so funny and so sharp. A little prose writing masterclass.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
reading The Stranger and it's very enjoyable, i wish i could read more protagonists written like this. such a dumb frank rear end in a top hat, funny guy

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

cumpantry posted:

reading The Stranger and it's very enjoyable, i wish i could read more protagonists written like this. such a dumb frank rear end in a top hat, funny guy

I just finished The Stranger and I thought it was a total waste of time. I read it in college and hated it, then decided to give the audiobook another shot a month or so ago and it was totally meh. I mean yeah he's an apathetic rear end in a top hat with severe detachment, etc.... I just guess I wish there was some kind of character arc.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
c'mon man

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i still think about the stranger all the time, one of my favs.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

McSpankWich posted:

I just finished The Stranger and I thought it was a total waste of time. I read it in college and hated it, then decided to give the audiobook another shot a month or so ago and it was totally meh. I mean yeah he's an apathetic rear end in a top hat with severe detachment, etc.... I just guess I wish there was some kind of character arc.

You should try playing the VN version instead. It adds a ton of stuff

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

McSpankWich posted:

Razzing u rn.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I just finished Trilogy by Jon Fosse and I can't believe this was published with so many typos there are periods missing all over the place and words not capitalized that should be and also there was NO character arc

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
finished L'entranger, i wish it went on for 1000 pages because i really did adore the narration. gonna check out some more of this "Camus" guy, top shelf stuff. also trying japanese lit again with Kokoro by Natsume Soseki, i'm interested so far

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

McSpankWich posted:

i didn't want to respond until i finished reading to better understand you, but it seems in the end i'm only more confused :kiddo:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Took me a second to get into it but Augustus by John Williams has managed to get it's hooks into me. It's one thing to read about the wild poo poo that went down after Caesar's death, it's another to read what it was like ground floor for the participants stuck in a nearly unwinnable situation with very, very limited information. You'd call winning in a fiction novel under the circumstances an rear end pull but it loving happened.

In Terra Nostra, the sections with El Senor remind me much more of The Leopard than I would've thought I'd get when I read the first section.

cumpantry posted:

Kokoro by Natsume Soseki, i'm interested so far
Let us know how you liked it in the end, I've been eyeing it for a minute. Trying to get into some other Japanese lit that isn't Kawabata or Mishima

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

derp posted:

I just finished Trilogy by Jon Fosse and I can't believe this was published with so many typos there are periods missing all over the place and words not capitalized that should be and also there was NO character arc

lol

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

It’s funny, you could accurately describe Stoner as an able-bodied white American man, a son of the soil, lifts himself by his bootstraps to become a college lecturer, though hampered by his horrible frigid wife, who only has sex with him in order to get pregnant, and uses the child to manipulate him. His career suffers a setback because of a conspiracy by two people with physical disabilities. However, he later rediscovers his zest for life when he has an affair with a much younger woman who is also his student.

… which doesn’t sound very promising, put like that!

But it’s skilfully and poignantly written, and there’s something a little mysterious about every part of the book, which can’t be reduced to the way I’ve phrased it, so it all becomes human, and interesting, and real. A good book.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Read and deeply enjoyed When We Cease to Understand the World, so much so that I have already also checked out Labatut's 2023 release from the library. Contemplative and dreamlike all at once. Really great stuff.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Here to recommend Vachel Lindsay's A Handy Guide for Beggars, which I completely stumbled upon in Project Gutenberg. It's creative nonfiction about the author wandering parts of 1910s America on foot in a self-imposed Franciscan quest to live without money, instead trading lectures on or recitations of poetry for food and board. He's a genuine unpretentious talent in prose and it makes me sad I'd never heard of him before. And it's fascinating to see, from a primary source, how people of different stripes react to Lindsay trying to embody a practice of literature.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It appears that Coatzee’s new novella The Pole is about a man from Eastern Europe, not an upright cylinder.

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013

FPyat posted:

It appears that Coatzee’s new novella The Pole is about a man from Eastern Europe, not an upright cylinder.

Disappointing

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

FPyat posted:

This is Festivus erasure

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

McSpankWich posted:

it read like some fedora wearing whiny goons overly long livejournal post

if the book had been set in the 90s mersault would have been a vampire larper with a tribal tattoo

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

m’aman *tips*

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mdemone posted:

Terra Nostra by Carlos Fuentes

Oh poo poo someone else has read it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I went to the book shop to look for a copy of Terra Nostra but they didn't have it. Did walk out with a copy of Seiobo There Below tho

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 25, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

It was in the sci-fi/fantasy section ehehe

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

You're probably going to have to order Terra Nostra. I don't think I've ever seen it in a brick and mortar shop.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

enjoy Seiobo, that book owns

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I bought a used terra nostra online, and the copy that I got was autographed. I googled and it looks like his reals signature too

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

derp posted:

I bought a used terra nostra online, and the copy that I got was autographed. I googled and it looks like his reals signature too

How much do you want for it

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Got anything cool to trade? 😎

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

mdemone posted:

You're probably going to have to order Terra Nostra. I don't think I've ever seen it in a brick and mortar shop.

I have to get a mate a gift and so I will see if its on shelf. If so I guess I'll have to buy it

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

I've started reading Moby Dick and it's all this thread's fault

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

Volcano posted:

To read a mighty book you must take recommendations from a mighty thread

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Volcano posted:

up from the spray of thy forum posting, straight up, leaps thy apotheosis

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hope he gets that whale

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Volcano posted:

gay

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

ThePopeOfFun posted:

up from the spray of thy forum posting, straight up, leaps thy apotheosis

Post! Post! Post! all the morning long; I posted in that thread till I myself almost melted into it; I posted in that thread till a strange sort of insanity came over me, and I found myself unwittingly emptyquoting my co-posters’ posts in it, mistaking their posts for the gentle globules. Such an abounding, affectionate, friendly, loving feeling did this avocation beget; that at last I was continually emptyquoting their posts, and looking up into their eyes sentimentally, as much as to say,—Oh! my dear fellow beings, why should we longer cherish any social acerbities, or know the slightest ill humour or envy! Come; let us make posts all round; nay, let us all post ourselves into each other; let us post ourselves universally into the very milk and sperm of kindness.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Hope he gets that whale

this time for sure

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
ahh Moby Dick, the first Kaiju

drrockso20 posted:

It's funny when you think about it that Moby Dick(which The Whale God is sort of an adaptation of) is one of the prototypes for the Kaiju genre and that doesn't really get talked about as often as you'd think(compared to say how Frankenstein gets brought up all the time as the first piece of science fiction)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

bullshit, if Moby Dick is a kaiju how come he never fought Mothra