Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The moiraine scene at the beach would have been in arguably fine if she had just used the power to build up a giant wave, then sent that wave out st the boats, crashing them.

Eh. The show seems to be really heavily going into weaker channelers being able to do powerful things if they spend more time working it up. Like the gateway opening weaves. This was kinda touched on in the books, how stronger people could just rip off many weaves quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
It’s a bold gambit, for sure. The show might be totally internally consistent, just with different rules than the books. Or it might be written by C-level executives who could not care whether things make sense from one scene to the next. The only way to know for sure is to watch things to the end; the best way to get to the end is to not piss off the most likely fanbase; the best way to not piss off the most likely fanbase is to keep things consistent with the books.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The moiraine scene at the beach would have been in arguably fine if she had just used the power to build up a giant wave, then sent that wave out st the boats, crashing them.

She did do a pretty sweet dance though

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Grundulum posted:

the best way to not piss off the most likely fanbase is to keep things consistent with the books.

Except that "the most likely fanbase" are a bunch of reddit biotruthers who are going to be pissed off no matter what you do.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The #1 rule of any magic system should always be "Is this cool? Ok go for it"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

And it is cool in the books it’s just hard as poo poo to portray in a TV show without it looking generic. Which is why they do a lot of not casting and a lot more leather dom costumes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Would have made a pretty cool bookend with the S1 ending at any rate.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Except that "the most likely fanbase" are a bunch of reddit biotruthers who are going to be pissed off no matter what you do.

Trying not to piss off the fan base is like the definition of a Sisyphean task

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I imagine they probably didn't want to repeat the S1 stinger but there are plenty of other options. She could've done a waterspout tornado, she could've whipped up a storm and dropped a lightning bolt on them (which would've been a nice mirror to Siuan handling the fire in the Foregate in Cairhien in the context of their shared commitment to the mission around the Dragon Reborn and the goal of protecting innocents and what not), she could've used her fancy dance to rebound/redirect the shield back on the damane in a way that made them go crazy and blow up their own boats, etc.

I have to rewatch and think about it a bit more, because what bothers me is more about the snowballing of particular editorial decisions than anything about power levels or whatever.

CainFortea posted:

I won't pretend to not be biased but I try to put any book stuff in the back of my mind while watching the show, which isn't tough because it's been at least half a decade since my last re-read of the series. Honestly I think they're doing a drat good job with the show, especially given the improvement from S1 to S2, but there are still some glaring rough spots to smooth out as they go.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The show is redefining the ajah to represent the element that they're most comfortable with. Thankfully for the blues, water deaths do not conflict with the oaths. They died with water in their lungs and not of.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The show is redefining the ajah to represent the element that they're most comfortable with. Thankfully for the blues, water deaths do not conflict with the oaths. They died with water in their lungs and not of.

This is a solid 9/10 post

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

You do NOT want to get into a fight with a Brown, hoo boy

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CainsDescendant posted:

You do NOT want to get into a fight with a Brown, hoo boy

You could say the same of the Yellow and the White.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
The nerdy nightly guys pointed out that the season 2 finale opener, where LTT and co seal away Ishy, means we will never get the book 1 prologue as an adaptation.

Actually I don't think it's certain because in theory they could do a gotcha where actually Ishy gets broken out of breaks out and runs off or something after the point where that opener scene cuts... Maybe?
But in reality I think it makes it way less likely that we will ever see the dragonmount prologue in anything like the way it was done in the books, which is a bit sad IMO.

(Apart from the perfect adaptation that Winter Dragon was ofc, insert billy Zane joke here)

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

It really seems like a missed opportunity. Maybe don't open the first episode with the prologue, but what about ending the first episode with it? I think the Jamie throwing Bran out the window scene is the single biggest moment in GoT taking off and I bet you could do something similar with the prologue.

Spend some of the first episode establishing the Dragon, why he's terrifying and important and necessary for the world. And then do a flashback to the end of the previous Dragon.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They've clearly changed the meaning of the seals in the show so there's no reason they can't have the attack on Shayol Ghul, the sealing of the bore, and the aftermath as the cold open to an episode. I wouldn't be surprised if they show it as the opening to whatever episode the glass columns feature in.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You could still do Dragonmount on the show and have Ishamael be there in some capacity. Just have him be another one of Lews's hallucinations, his guilty conscience over sealing away his best friend come back to haunt him at the worst possible time. Or have him be like "Yeah, your seal wasn't perfect and I can and have my revenge on you one day, rear end in a top hat. Enjoy your dead family, courtesy of Shai'tan, shithead."

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 13, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If they do the prologue my bet is it's going to be the cold open in the episode where Rand starts definitively hearing and talking to LTT.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CainFortea posted:

If they do the prologue my bet is it's going to be the cold open in the episode where Rand starts definitively hearing and talking to LTT.

Start of s3 seems like a good time. Rand is now proclaimed TDR, now we learn exactly what that means

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Isn't Ishamael in the Dragonmount prologue anyway like "hahaa bitch I'm not sealed"? So nothing changes with showing him getting sealed. Show Lew's Therin murdering everyone and then Ishamael shows up and it's a big shock.

But yeah the amount of information the show has given about the Breaking and Lews Therin and why male channeling is feared is pretty weak and probably my biggest criticism of the show. There should be an apocalyptic nauseating fear for most common people when they think of the Dragon or anyone touching saidin, and the show has none of that. Male channeling seems to be treated as an unfortunate mental illness.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Heck maybe go further on than the prologue itself does and show him literally blasting open the planet's crust and raising a giant volcanic mountain. Would make an awesome realization down the road when we get to Tar Valon and see that same mountain three thousand years later.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Question answered.

quote:

EXCLUSIVE: BAFTA winner and Emmy nominee Kari Skogland has been set to direct live-action feature The Age of Legends, the first installment in the planned trilogy of films that will explore the origins of Robert Jordan’s bestselling book series The Wheel of Time.

Screenplay comes from Thor, X-Men: First Class and Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous scribe Zack Stentz.

Set several millennia before the timeline of the books, The Age of Legends will chart the emergence of “the Dark One.” when the world descended into darkness and war. The film will delve into the corrosive nature of power and pride, as seen through the tragic tales of the Forsaken – once honored leaders who fell victim to the Dark One’s seduction, each personifying distinct elements of human weakness and ambition. The story will also portray the valorous sacrifices of unexpected heroes who rise against the Dark One to defend humanity in the face of overwhelming odds.

[...]

Iwot is also in development on animated feature The White Tower, which is also a Wheel of Time origin story.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

This is still Iwot aka Red Eagle aka the people who did that glorious Billy Zane Winter Dragon "pilot" that was only intended to keep the rights.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hell yeah, in.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Does bzane have to fistfight Fares Fares for the name

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Hopefully this spells good news for the mothership show if Amazon's greenlighting animated spin offs left and right now.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Oh no

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Does bzane have to fistfight Fares Fares for the name

Still hoping Billy Zane is either Demandred or Asmodean.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hell yeah, I always thought a Forsaken-focused AoL story would be super cool

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

nine-gear crow posted:

Hopefully this spells good news for the mothership show if Amazon's greenlighting animated spin offs left and right now.

Is there any indication that Amazon has the right to say anything about this?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
With the glorious penmanship of Zack Stentz, genius behind such artworks as 'Rim of the World (Netflix, 2019; RT 27%), and a partial screenwriter credit on 'Agent Cody Banks' and 'Thor', we can only expect great things.

Also maybe the fact they are intending to do more animated stuff is the reason why they aborted the Origins animated features in such a weird way?

pik_d posted:

This is still Iwot aka Red Eagle aka the people who did that glorious Billy Zane Winter Dragon "pilot" that was only intended to keep the rights.
The same people who're behind the Amazon show. Which to be fair, might be encouraging because apparently they have no actual involvement in the show so maybe they will have no involvement in this streaming film.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
Did The Tinkers Ever Find Their Song?

Forgive the Reddit link. This thread has gone quiet and I found this interesting while looking through Brandon’s post history, as one periodically does.

Jordan’s notes posted:

The tinkers never do find their drat song.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

its HIM posted:

Did The Tinkers Ever Find Their Song?

Forgive the Reddit link. This thread has gone quiet and I found this interesting while looking through Brandon’s post history, as one periodically does.

The actual song that they're looking for is the song of growing, which I believe Rand (or somebody else who watched Rand do it) teaches them before the last battle. Maybe it was that somebody saw him do it and it could get to them but they don't believe it? I know I read something like that in an interview but don't remember which one it was.

theoryland posted:

STEVEN COOPER
I asked RJ about this when he was in Melbourne last week, and (amazingly) got a straight answer.

ROBERT JORDAN
The Song the Tinkers are seeking is the song Rand heard in Rhuidean—or, to be exact, the memories of that song and others like it have become merged, over the years, into the concept of one mystical Song.

So basically they think this can't possibly be the song, so they continue to look for this mythical song.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
For a while when reading the books I figured it might be tree-singing. After I finished I felt like it was a telephone game style misunderstanding of tree-singing. So yes it's not actually the tree-singing song, and no they don't ever find it because it doesn't exist, but the myth of "the Song" came from tree-singing, since the Da'shain Aiel seemed to be involved in tree-singing. So along the way "We sang to help things grow" turned into "Times were better when we sang" to "The Song made everything better".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

lol yeah I thought I was going crazy. The song was explained in the rhuidean visions

Did Jordan forget

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Data Graham posted:

lol yeah I thought I was going crazy. The song was explained in the rhuidean visions

Did Jordan forget
No, because the song the tinkers are looking for will usher in a utopia. Did tree singing usher in a utopia? No? Then it's not the song and they'll keep looking for it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rand is singing in the garden with his 2nd meeting with tuon. Only it's something like the wind beneath the willows.

I don't think it's the actual song that matters, just the intent and trick of it.

"I’ve heard that tune somewhere, once … Is it ‘Two Maids at the Water’s Edge’?”"

This is from when mat notices rand is singing under his breath as rand causes the flowers and grass to grow in the garden

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

didn't grass start growing in his footsteps at some point without any songs?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ChubbyChecker posted:

didn't grass start growing in his footsteps at some point without any songs?

Without anyone noticing a song. I think that bit with mat is sando pulling back the curtain on what happened at the meeting at Melior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

“There can be no health in us, nor any good thing grow, for the land is one with the Dragon Reborn, and he is one with the land.”

IMO the growth is basically a result of Rand having his zen moment atop the Dragonmount and accepting himself and his fate. When he is at peace, the land around him follows suit.