Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Check out the Hurricanes' Capfriendly page--half their team is UFA next summer. Half the players who aren't are old. There's not that much young talent waiting in the wings. Brind'Amour has one year left after this year and, unthinkable as it may be that he would actually leave the Hurricanes, can probably see the handwriting on the wall.

I think Brind'Amour is probably going to settle in as a coach in the Maurice/Torts class: able to turn a terrible team into a respectable one quickly, but with a low ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
I did watch the highlights of that Islanders Canes game and yeah, the goaltending was horrific. Didn't realize that was typical though. Yikes.

In related goaltending news Grubauer shows no signs of returning to the Kraken any time soon, Daccord is playing great in his place, they are paying Driedger 3.5 a year still, and allegedly the Kraken are shopping for another goaltender??? Anything that reduces Daccord's playing time seems like a mistake to me and taking on more salary or giving up any assets for yet another middling goaltender seems like it would be a huge mistake to me regardless of delusions about contending this year or not.
(this rant prompted by a hopefully throwaway wishful thinking article from Montreal about Kraken making offers for Montreal goalies)

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Jack Campbell lost the #1 goaltending job, in the AHL

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Why is the Michigan goal not called the Legg Goal or Legg Wrap? I feel bad for the guy.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Escape Goat posted:

Good

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Escape Goat posted:

Think Edmonton ponies up some picks to move off him?

His 5.5 and Connor Brown's 2 or 3m next year could be the difference between a first round exit and a championship berth if they use that capspace we'll.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
they’ll probably pay to get off of the Campbell contract but then spend the money + the cap increase in the off-season on just the most dogshit free agents you can think of, as is Edmonton tradition

my bets are on a three years too long Tyler Bertuzzi contract and a Tyson Barrie reunion somehow

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Bard Maddox posted:

they’ll probably pay to get off of the Campbell contract but then spend the money + the cap increase in the off-season on just the most dogshit free agents you can think of, as is Edmonton tradition

my bets are on a three years too long Tyler Bertuzzi contract and a Tyson Barrie reunion somehow

Nah they know they need a goalie.

One of the Bruins goalies makes the most sense. But since this is Edmonton its going to be the return of 37 year old Cam Talbot.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Edmonton is going to trade Jack Campbell to themselves and somehow lose picks in the process.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Nah they know they need a goalie.

One of the Bruins goalies makes the most sense. But since this is Edmonton its going to be the return of 37 year old Cam Talbot.

betting the 2024-25 season and Draisaitl’s walk year on an Ilya Samsonov bounceback after he isn’t tendered a contract by the Leafs

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 25, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oilers are more likely to trade Kulak to make cap room and buy out Campbell. If they have to trade assets to move Campbell it's gonna be tough to make a trade to improve the team as well

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Between the Oilers, Devils, Leafs, and Hurricanes all being desperate for a goalie, the Bruins are going to make out like bandits trading one of theirs and I hate it.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
just bring skinner back he's prob good to go now

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Hm best available sorts by wins uh Cam Talbot? Yeah sure do that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cam Talbot seems like he has been around forever, but this is only his 10th NHL season.

Maybe because he's currently on his 7th team.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
what's halak up to these days

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
We have a very large and in charge MacKenzie Blackwood. Please take him because he has stolen a few games for the Sharks.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

heehee posted:

what's halak up to these days

Unsigned AFAIK

I'd think Mrazek would be more a likely target.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Spelling Mitsake posted:

The Canucks are going to make it to the finals.

We're either looking at Canucks/Rangers aka '1994 Part II'

or

Kings/Rangers aka '2014 Part II' aka 'The Jonathan Quick Revenge Tour'

or

Avalanche/Rangers aka 'Georgiev Returns'

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

They ain't getting past Dallas.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Habibi posted:

We have a very large and in charge MacKenzie Blackwood. Please take him because he has stolen a few games for the Sharks.

That's probably the type of player the Oilers trade for if they don't manage to get someone like Saros or Gibson.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

it’s weird that the Canucks and Kings haven’t played this year, and then they play 4 times in 5 weeks. will be interesting to see how they’ll match up

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Check out the Hurricanes' Capfriendly page--half their team is UFA next summer. Half the players who aren't are old. There's not that much young talent waiting in the wings. Brind'Amour has one year left after this year and, unthinkable as it may be that he would actually leave the Hurricanes, can probably see the handwriting on the wall.

I think Brind'Amour is probably going to settle in as a coach in the Maurice/Torts class: able to turn a terrible team into a respectable one quickly, but with a low ceiling.

They’re the team with no AHL affiliate, right? Seems bad, too!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://x.com/hilsnoglander/status/1739016960594346468?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

https://x.com/nhl_watcher/status/1738733976062214227?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Merry Christmas

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Kane has had quite a 5 game stretch after being useless in the first 5. Just a case of him acclimating back to NHL play or small sample size / luck / etc?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
8 points in his last 4 with 3 of them coming against the Flyers in a silly 6-6 game. Every game bar that Flyers game was a loss so ymmv. More importantly 8 of the 10 games Kane has played in were losses with 1 loser point.... definitely a great signing to win.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

So what numbers exactly am I supposed to look at that say Patrick Kane is cooked cause I can't find outside of his GA/60 but he's at 50% on ice goals while his xGA is about the best he's had and he's starting less in the ozone than he has in forever as well.

Like id love for him to suck cause gently caress him but also the numbers don't say that from what I can see.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Idk what stat says he's cursed but he is.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

So what numbers exactly am I supposed to look at that say Patrick Kane is cooked cause I can't find outside of his GA/60 but he's at 50% on ice goals while his xGA is about the best he's had and he's starting less in the ozone than he has in forever as well.

Like id love for him to suck cause gently caress him but also the numbers don't say that from what I can see.

He's been obviously one of the best players on the team since he signed, people just haven't watched the games and want Kane to be trash. Team xGA is abysmal with or without Kane. Unfortunately it is the rest of the Red Wings that have been awful, we've had injuries and suspensions and underperforming forwards and Jeff Petry.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Matt Zerella posted:

Idk what stat says he's cursed but he is.

is time on ice for the 2023-24 Detroit Red Wings a cursed stat?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

He's been obviously one of the best players on the team since he signed, people just haven't watched the games and want Kane to be trash. Team xGA is abysmal with or without Kane. Unfortunately it is the rest of the Red Wings that have been awful, we've had injuries and suspensions and underperforming forwards and Jeff Petry.

Kanes xGA at 5x5 has been excellent!!!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

His 8 losses in 10 games would say his actual impact and outcomes are excellent. I was going to mention that Larkin had been out for a bit, but he's returned for a little bit.

The guess without digging into everything would be that Kane is taking easier matchups then pushing someone else into more difficult matchups which has unbalanced everything leading to Kane looking good and the Wings losing lots.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Well that's not the case either.

http://puckiq.com/woodmoney?team=det

He's facing the toughest matchups since he's signed

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

0% goals for against 'elite', 60% goals against middle, and 40% against 'grit' so I assume that's bottom 6ers of low skill but hard work.

He feasts on middling competition can be outworked because he can't skate good, and top line competition has destroyed him. That's what that stat line says. Maybe he flips the script on it like he did the points. Who knows!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lol that 0% is 0 GF 1 GA

He's at 50% total GF while dangerous Fenwick rel is positive across the board while playing the toughest minutes.

Go to any site you want, the public data everywhere says he's been good to very good.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
yeah the evolving hockey xGAR stat has him as the 4th most impactful player on Detroit this year despite only playing the 10 games while others are at 30+

the top 3 are Lucas Raymond, Alex DeBrincat and of course coming in at #1 by a mile, the analytics community's champion Shayne Gostisbehere.

**it's not to say that xGAR is necessarily meaningful on it's own, but if alot of different measurements are kind of agreeing on a player then you can probably draw a conclusion he's doing something right.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I would love Patrick Kane to suck and be cooked. I just can't prove he is. And really can only prove that he's been a good player since he's been back by just about every metric but wins

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I would love Patrick Kane to suck and be cooked. I just can't prove he is. And really can only prove that he's been a good player since he's been back by just about every metric but wins

Here is some science for you then:

The Red Wings stink and by transitive properties so does Patrick Kane.

You are now more educated than most NHL GMs, you're welcome.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

The only way to know for sure is to put him in a Taxi and see if he's still got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Patrick Kane was pretty cooked for the Rangers last year. Maybe an off season of rest and rehabilitation helped him but I'm skeptical of him keeping up this level of play