Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Megumi is freed, promptly kills himself.

Come on we just got rid of Mahoraga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Electric Phantasm posted:

Come on we just got rid of Mahoraga

He'll find a way, don't underestimate how suicidal he can be.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Ytlaya posted:

The funny thing is that this is unironically a decent idea. One of the physically powerful characters (namely Maki, but I guess Yuuji could also pull this off) carrying Higuruma and helping him avoid Sukuna's attacks + get him into range.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Hakari rules. Gender affirming gambling addict dropout badass

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Hakari rules. Gender affirming gambling addict dropout badass

Hoping we’re blessed with a brief shot of him at the end of the current season

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
where's kirara at anyways. stick higuruma and yuji together.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

All I know is that JJK is pretty above average with several extreme highs and several major flaws but if you want a perfect shonen you should just read Dandadan.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://x.com/jjk_mya/status/1739660499116003635?s=46&t=Yntt7G3i9J81WH8r8EaHnw

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think it took a lot of self control to not make one of those the Yamcha pose

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
gd the official translation was really clunky on ch246

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Honest Thief posted:

gd the official translation was really clunky on ch246

Yeah it’s a shame JJK seems stuck with a sub par translation.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah it’s a shame JJK seems stuck with a sub par translation.

its far worse than merely subpar

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Leaks are out, henche, if you were wondering, it's almost a given we'll get the scans this week.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Big chapter for our sweet innocent child of a protagonist.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
hype, can't wait for a decent translation.

really makes me wonder what the hell the remaining content is going to look like for this series if we have ~less than a year of jjk left. It feels like there is supposed to be a finale arc after this but I don't know why there would be narratively.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
An entire arc detailing Sukuna's life after he wins, ending with his suicide when he grows too bored with being too strong.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
https://ragnarokscanlation.com/manga/jujutsu-kaisen-en/chapter-247/p/2/

here's the speedscans

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That is an extremely funny translation lmao.

THINGS THAT HURTS DOES HURT.

Thank you for the words of insight, Higuruma...

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 27, 2023

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
gege can't keep killing dilfs someone has to stop him

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
drat, Yuji survived getting his abdomen shredded like it was nothing. And was that Yuji’s piercing blood?

lol so I guess Gojo decided to tank a full incantation Dismantle huh

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

NO. NO! YES! NO! YESSSSS?
I know Sukuna has some bullshit to mitigate it but the handoff was cool

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Higuruma needing to be the greatest jutsu genius ever born by far to make this work is kind of silly and load-bearing. But the action was good.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

No Wave posted:

Higuruma needing to be the greatest jutsu genius ever born by far to make this work is kind of silly and load-bearing. But the action was good.

It's always going to ring hollow when a new character turns out to be some once-in-a-billion prodigy only for them to be put against the strongest character in the series as quickly as possible. I really like Higuruma, I wasn't pretending he wasn't going to be fed to the meat grinder that is Sukuna. But the story is only making me like him even more while lamenting the wasted potential.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jerkface posted:

Well I mean cmon, while it would be very funny if Higuruma killed Sakuna, its not gonna happen. Not solo anyways. He may contribute, he could even be vital, given what they mention about his sword target in this chapter. But its going to take the combined efforts of everyone. Maybe it even comes down to Itadori wielding the sword or some poo poo, who knows. Or maybe they will all lose and Sukuna will tch out his little side mouth.

☝️

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

yum posted:

drat, Yuji survived getting his abdomen shredded like it was nothing. And was that Yuji’s piercing blood?

lol so I guess Gojo decided to tank a full incantation Dismantle huh

No, the translation makes it sound like it was Choso off-screen, but then again, I guess Sukuna might be wrong.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The sword won't kill Sukuna but it does feel like this could herald the return of Megumi given the ample insinuations already placed into the manga. However I am not sure what the exact mechanism would be, and honestly it's hard to, on a mechanical level, understand how it would all take place. It's really the only big thing Higgy could accomplish at this point before being killed though.

I'm also not 100% clear on how it would go, narratively, to reintroduce Megumi back into the manga this late in the game unless his ultimate purpose is to fulfill the 100% realized skeleton domain foreshadowed on numerous occasions

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 27, 2023

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Taima posted:

The sword won't kill Sukuna but it does feel like this could herald the return of Megumi given the ample insinuations already placed into the manga. However I am not sure what the exact mechanism would be, and honestly it's hard to, on a mechanical level, understand how it would all take place. It's really the only big thing Higgy could accomplish at this point before being killed though.

I'm also not 100% clear on how it would go, narratively, to reintroduce Megumi back into the manga this late in the game unless his ultimate purpose is to fulfill the 100% realized skeleton domain foreshadowed on numerous occasions

with the comment of "curses that die come back stronger" i dont think Sukuna is dead dead.

Also I love LOVE love Higuruma but him delivering the final blow would have been lame. It is more emotionally impactful for both Yuji and Higuruma for the sword's final blow to be handed off to Yuji. Sucks that he is likely dead though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

with the comment of "curses that die come back stronger" i dont think Sukuna is dead dead.

Also I love LOVE love Higuruma but him delivering the final blow would have been lame. It is more emotionally impactful for both Yuji and Higuruma for the sword's final blow to be handed off to Yuji. Sucks that he is likely dead though.

I think what that's meant to mean is that Higuruma's technique won't automatically die with his death but given the translation is pretty crappy, we'll see I suppose.

Prodigal Trouble
Dec 6, 2023

GreenMetalSun posted:

gege can't keep killing dilfs someone has to stop him

Not emptyquoting

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I agree from a narrative and emotional standpoint, though I'll still be over here with my copium til I see Higuruma chilling in the airport or whatever. I'd love it if he got a different ending than dying here, but I'm also doubtful his One Weird Legal Trick sword, even empowered by his death and wielded by Yuji, will be the thing that brings Sukuna down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prodigal Trouble posted:

Not emptyquoting

I agree from a narrative and emotional standpoint, though I'll still be over here with my copium til I see Higuruma chilling in the airport or whatever. I'd love it if he got a different ending than dying here, but I'm also doubtful his One Weird Legal Trick sword, even empowered by his death and wielded by Yuji, will be the thing that brings Sukuna down.

Even if it absolutely 100% kills Sukuna incarnated in Megumi's body, there's still one finger left.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
I think the sword persisting refers to the discussion about curses remaining after death. Higuruma is fine with dying since it means someone else can use the sword.

Sukuna doesnt actually confirm that the blood was from Choso, he only says it’s his technique (?). And we know Choso and Kamo was teaching Yuji something during the training

He was finally able to meet Yuji’s gaze.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7589/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-247?date=27-12-2023-14

the good translation is here.

i really thought since higuruma yearned for death that he'd live through this, but gege taketh and gege taketh away

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest I just find this whole thing disappointing coming from the loving amazing comedy arc. It's kind of pulling the same basic thing but I think the comedy arc nailed it while this isn't.

The big gap to me is that the comedy arc was based around playing within the rules established by the character previously. It ended up being both hilarious and feeling incredibly appropriate and really absolutely felt like he had such an amazingly weird but useful power that even a super-skilled opponent would have been hosed if he didn't play along.

In this case you have the same super-powerful but limited ability only it gets absolutely brushed off from the very start and transition instantly over to "he's a super genius with an instant-kill sword" and it's an okay (if rushed) fight but it really doesn't feel like it has much to do with his character. It's hype to see him passing his sword off to Yuji but I can't help but wish it felt like the previous arc.

I guess you can argue it's the difference between the two villains but I would have been way more hype for some Phoenix Wright poo poo.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
it does feel like higuruma's exit was way too sudden, especially since in this very chapter we learned he was on equal footing with sukuna when it comes to technique utilization. like dude, you aren't gonna let him go home and brush up on his techniques some? this food is undercooked, sukuna

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is there a reason/stakes for fighting sukuna at this point beyond his being a forever murder hobo and this being a good time to stop him? I forgot if he had any real role in kenjaku's plan besides beating sorcerors who go to fight him.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

No Wave posted:

Is there a reason/stakes for fighting sukuna at this point beyond his being a forever murder hobo and this being a good time to stop him? I forgot if he had any real role in kenjaku's plan besides beating sorcerors who go to fight him.

I think it's implied that they have some kind of Binding Vow with each other, and at some point Kenjaku tells Sukuna to 'keep his promise' and Sukuna backs off from what he was doing, but maybe that got resolved? Otherwise, Sukuna just really wanted to throw hands with Satoru and everyone else decided this would be the ideal time to jump him. It's unclear how invested he is in the whole, 'turn all the humans into a weird monster' scheme. He strikes me as someone who would rather be worshipped and eat good food (people) than a guy who'd do evil super science for the hell of it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
the dude ate megumi

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I find it hilarious that the entire thread is just spoiler tags now from top to bottom.

ImpAtom posted:

good points

This is the main problem with JJK in a nutshell. Gege doesn't seem to enjoy writing complex characterization.

I strongly believe that if JJK stuck to the longer term premise/scaffolding that it started on - a much more methodical search to obtain the 20 fingers; keeping the evolution and character growth seen in Jujutsu High and Kyoto schools and elaborating/exploring, in detail, the sorcerer families and politics- the potential was there for an all time series.

It feels clear to me that Shibuya represented a borderline emergency-level shift away from the character work that defined the series previously, which he seems to dislike fundamentally, and towards a more simple battle and meta philosophy-oriented style.

We may never know the exact details but something caused Gege to destroy his own story. Shibuya, and consequently the culling games, utterly destroyed whatever the manga was "supposed" to be.

He probably just didn't want to take on the years of increasingly complex character work that defined the other long running battle shonens. It's a shame, but I still enjoy what he is making now; but it's hard to deny that this feels like the easy way out, and we're hurtling towards an end that was never actually envisioned when the series was being built up :shrug:

Sorry if this is a hot take but it's what I've been thinking for a while. To be honest, I really wanted the story that JJK was originally supposed to be, and I dearly hope that another author will be given control of the series to take on the premises explored in season 1. Maybe a new series about the Heian era? I'm not sure but I would kill to read the manga that Gege seemed to want to write before the breakdown that caused him to abandon it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

good chap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Yes, it would've been cool for the initial arc to be more drawn out to give weight to everything after, but JJK is Akutami's first full length series. They published 3 oneshots and then JJK 0 prior to JJK itself. I'm sure that the demands of a serial medium like a weekly Jump series can rapidly cause your story to go out of control compared with whatever outline of a plot you go into the project with, and most mangaka don't seem to want to go the Bleach/One Piece/Naruto route. Given what I've heard about JJK's cultural status in Japan I'm sure Jump aren't pressuring Akutami to end the series or anything. A lot of mangaka seem to aim for this 250-300 chapter range.

I'm interested in seeing if they become a one hit wonder or if their next series builds and refines upon JJK.

Personally, the series feels tightly plotted right up until Shibuya for me, and it seems like maybe there was a hazy idea of the Culling Games and all that's come after (for example, Sukuna hijacking Megumi's body has obviously been foreshadowed since very early on) but it all feels a lot more like the author flying by the seat of their pants at times (like sumo and katana guy, it ended up being fine but lol come on).

(chapter spoilers) As for the chapter itself, yeah, load-bearing is a good word for Higuruma being this kind of super prodigy. It passes because it was clearly intended to be an element of his character since early on and his remark on domain amplification during Sukuna vs Gojo is a nice detail, but it's being stretched pretty far. I agree that it would've been more interesting to try to explore a weird gimmicky sorcery a little more, and maybe have the situation even end up somewhere like this but with a little more development if you want me to really think the protagonists have any chance at this point.

If the sword ends up separating Megumi and Sukuna, that seems alright but I'm pretty sure Megumi tanked Gojo's domain so he probably isn't going to be much use in the fight, and at this point I'm just waiting for Gege to sell me on there being any chance they overpower Sukuna at all.

For a second after reading the translation I thought Higuruma was maybe speculating about returning as an even more powerful cursed spirit that Sukuna would probably be unable to resist fighting, but I think the TCB translation is suggesting that his technique might power up after he dies and the sword could be more effective.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 27, 2023