Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

cgfreak posted:

What i've wondered a couple of times now wrt anyone who fought Sukuna after Gojo/Kashimo did: why is he even bothering to use Dismantle? Why isn't he just instantly obliterating everyone into atoms with full force Cleaves?

Cleave seems to have a more limited range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Brought To You By posted:

But really beyond that my complaint here is why are we bringing this up now? Nanami went out with a bang and I believe he was at peace with himself. It's not like he threw his weapon to Yuji to use which would have more clearly hinted if he had an intention of arming the MC with anything more than a less depressing final message. I feel the same about this as I do the chapter demonstrating that even if Sukuna had been disarmed of dismantle, he still would just be ripping people in half. Just kind of wondering where we are going from here

Ino is his junior who specifically looked up to Nanami and refused advancedment to rank 1 until nanami approved. It makes fine sense for him to use Nanami's cursed tool.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I really like Higuruma which doesn’t bode well for Higuruma

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cleave seems to have a more limited range.

Didn't he nuke basically a square mile of Shibuya with it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cgfreak posted:

Didn't he nuke basically a square mile of Shibuya with it?

that was malevolent shrine. cleave is dangerous but not “gently caress everything in my zip code” dangerous

Char
Jan 5, 2013
TCB scans out.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I believe in Magic Phoenix Wright

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
”That rivals even Gojo Saturo”? Really? Either this guy is truly a genius and will play a determinative role in the fight or he’s just being hyped up to be somewhat emotional cannon fodder. Either way both outcomes suck imo.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

rkd_ posted:

”That rivals even Gojo Saturo”? Really? Either this guy is truly a genius and will play a determinative role in the fight or he’s just being hyped up to be somewhat emotional cannon fodder. Either way both outcomes suck imo.

Eh that has been kind of the line since he debuted he is a non-incarnated sorcerer who basically mastered curse energy manipulation immediately. He got a full, wack rear end domain in less than a month. He's a monster as written. Though the rest of the "specials" Gojo himself hyped up as having potential to surpass him are all dead/buried/not contributing much right now soooo

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Jerkface posted:

Eh that has been kind of the line since he debuted he is a non-incarnated sorcerer who basically mastered curse energy manipulation immediately. He got a full, wack rear end domain in less than a month. He's a monster as written. Though the rest of the "specials" Gojo himself hyped up as having potential to surpass him are all dead/buried/not contributing much right now soooo

Yeah but I felt like his domain was inherently limited enough that it’s not crazy powerful. I don’t know, it just seems like a boring option to me. So we couldn’t have Gojo or any other character people grew to like win just so this random all powerful genius can? And if he can’t, what’s the point.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

rkd_ posted:

Yeah but I felt like his domain was inherently limited enough that it’s not crazy powerful. I don’t know, it just seems like a boring option to me. So we couldn’t have Gojo or any other character people grew to like win just so this random all powerful genius can? And if he can’t, what’s the point.

Well I mean cmon, while it would be very funny if Higuruma killed Sakuna, its not gonna happen. Not solo anyways. He may contribute, he could even be vital, given what they mention about his sword target in this chapter. But its going to take the combined efforts of everyone. Maybe it even comes down to Itadori wielding the sword or some poo poo, who knows. Or maybe they will all lose and Sukuna will tch out his little side mouth.

Also don't poopoo the domain. We see that 2 modern sorcerers with modern domains Hakari and Higuruma are both incredibly powerful. They may not be as cool as an instant kill domain like Gojo or Sukuna, but they are monstrously powerful in the framework for the JJK power system. (un)Limited invincibility and power vs CT suppression, involuntary non aggression, and potential 1 hit death?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jerkface posted:

I don't think that's true, of the people Gojo hyped up as having the potential to be better than him, Yuta has already reached the point where he could handle every challenge thrown at him in the Culling Games and also managed to cut Kenjaku's head (granted, by surprising him), Hakari has already shown to be superior to Gojo and even Sukuna in one category (RCT), and Yuji hasn't yet had the time to shine and show just how much he's improved thanks to the timeskip. Megumi is... well... we know what's happened to Megumi, really.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Potential man strikes again

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
lawyer man just has the work ethic to be successful at anything he puts his mind to, and having a lot of pent up frustration is a nice bonus to be a jujutsu sorceror

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I think in terms of talent progression, sure. Hig has come very very quickly with a very strong power set. His limitation is very clearly battle experience, but his potential is insane. Dudes a natural with an inescapable technique that removes an opponents advantage.

Itadori and Maki are his worst matchups, but everyone else is useless without their technique.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I think in terms of talent progression, sure. Hig has come very very quickly with a very strong power set. His limitation is very clearly battle experience, but his potential is insane. Dudes a natural with an inescapable technique that removes an opponents advantage.

Itadori and Maki are his worst matchups, but everyone else is useless without their technique.

Todo took on most of the demon parade without using Boogie Woogie. And that's assuming he didn't go full Perry Mason to beat the trial with his 520,000 IQ.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I can see Higu evolving even further since his technique is based off his own sense of justice, which is apparently in line with the Japanese legal system. If he could move his mindset away from that specific set of rules and lawyer-brain his way into justifying using his own interpretation of justice instead, seems like he could also enter the calvinball arena like the Gojo vs Sukuna fight.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Assume nanamis sword having his technique is just a bit of hand wavy “cursed objects are the remains of powerful sorcerers” combined with like, him getting soul exploded in proximity to his weapon.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Maki should womanhandle Higaruma into slashing Sukuna

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lamebot posted:

Maki should womanhandle Higaruma into slashing Sukuna

the scene in one piece where zoro uses usopp as a sword

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Someone raised a good question that ultimately got drowned out but I really do wonder why the reactions to the Shibuya adaptation are so completely miserable in comparison to the effusive praise the arc got from its readership during publication.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Someone raised a good question that ultimately got drowned out but I really do wonder why the reactions to the Shibuya adaptation are so completely miserable in comparison to the effusive praise the arc got from its readership during publication.

Are... they miserable? I've heard nothing but praise for this arc of the anime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

I assume because it is murdering the animators, rather than content in the series

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The anime thread is utterly miserable to read about Shibuya sometimes because it seems like people just wanted a generic shonen where the high schoolers beat up the villains and call it a day.

The only real misstep of Shibuya is how Nobara is handled. Kenjaku's reveal was dicey at the time but he turned out to be very solid.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I would say it's slightly more negative, but overall still mostly positive. There's definitely more meta complaints about MAPPA being a poo poo studio to work for than about the anime itself, but with that said some of the anime exclusive complaints have been about sloppy animation or CG use every now and then, or manga readers nitpicking differences with the anime (notably Nobara looks way stupider just standing there as mahito runs across a long hallway instead of getting sneak attacked.)

I would say if there is a proper reason for why it's getting more criticism now, it's because there are more eyes on the anime: you have the manga readers who were already dissatisfied, new anime viewers who are dissatisfied, and manga readers who, with the benefit of hindsight of where the series goes, might have cooled down on Shibuya as an art.

I think Shibuya arc is a really interesting case study. I feel more torn on it as an arc than a lot of other people do. It got a lot of praise for being payoff for the entire series up to that point, and being very subversive, killing off lots of established characters and shaking up the dynamics something fierce. However, with hindsight, it feels like Gege burned up most of the fuel and good ideas and characters he had with it, aside from maki and yuji, and so he's had to build up everything all over again with the culling game, and unless you're into hunter x hunter style battles, it just felt like a meandering waste of time, especially with where the plot has gone now. It also leaves you feeling like some character arcs like Nobara's just got cut out, not getting a satisfying conclusion of any sort. It also makes it more difficult to care for most of the characters in the series from this point onwards, because what's the point of having a bond and getting invested in a character that could just get ganked at any moment, making them pointless?

Shibuya as an arc works in isolation as a big payoff arc, but i think in the long term it might have done more to hurt the series than help, as weird as that might sound.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

aside from praising the fight scenes/animation, I've really only seen negativity for the shibuya arc after the gojo flashback ends and it's not just about the animators, although that probably makes things worse

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Reading Shibuya was cool nobara excepting. However it is also contingent on the follow up being good. Culling game hugely dumb. Sours Shibuya in retrospect. Oh we had to endure all that and all we get is this now? Gross!

The Kenjaku reveal is still stupid and would have benefit from some extended flashbacks to his time across the centuries.

The ultimate motivation of destroying humanity because itd be funny or interesting is amusing, but not enough to forgive the treatment of the cast.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Agreed. Watching the anime with the knowledge of where things go just really highlights all the negative aspects. We watch the entire cast get poo poo on for an arc and the payoff is...they go fight a bunch of bit characters who mostly don't matter so they can go onto the final arc where they all get poo poo on again. Cool.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
this all kinda makes me wonder if jjk will be remembered as mid. I think there's still room to cook but I'm not going to pretend Culling Game doesn't have issues

there's a weird duality where people didn't want Gege to spend time developing these new characters but also don't feel connected to them and thus not connected to the story. Kenjaku isn't a continuation of Geto and is kinda just new big bad; who dis. people express Sukuna is pulling out, get out of jail cards without earning them. which would probably hit different if we had a better understanding of Sukuna's origins and abilities

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

Because manga is better than anime

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Because manga is better than anime

Normally I would agree, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f88XRUEsyfo

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Still waiting for the “actually that isn’t Suguru Geto, that’s Kenjaku who was also once a Noritoshi Kamo” to significantly matter. Geto could have just been a really talented jujutsu wizard and I don’t see how anything would change.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Jerkface posted:

Well I mean cmon, while it would be very funny if Higuruma killed Sakuna, its not gonna happen. Not solo anyways. He may contribute, he could even be vital, given what they mention about his sword target in this chapter. But its going to take the combined efforts of everyone. Maybe it even comes down to Itadori wielding the sword or some poo poo, who knows. Or maybe they will all lose and Sukuna will tch out his little side mouth.

Also don't poopoo the domain. We see that 2 modern sorcerers with modern domains Hakari and Higuruma are both incredibly powerful. They may not be as cool as an instant kill domain like Gojo or Sukuna, but they are monstrously powerful in the framework for the JJK power system. (un)Limited invincibility and power vs CT suppression, involuntary non aggression, and potential 1 hit death?

Oh yeah, what you say is definitely true. I think Julias a couple posts up put into words how I feel much better than I did.

I understand the logical progression of the story, the chapters after the Shibuya incident just feel like a big waste of time and, more importantly, it doesn’t feel like the character deaths led to anything other than they had to be replaced by other characters we have no emotional attachment to. It’d kinda be like killing of 90% of the Harry Potter cast including Harry Potter only to replace them with a couple of other all powerful, talented wizards. But maybe I’m just too down on the series now.

Re the domain, that’s fair, but the big limitation is the trial still needs to be conducted and won right? I guess against curses and stuff that’s pretty easy though.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
EDIT: Must be tired, got my people totally mixed up.

rkd_ fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 24, 2023

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Still waiting for the “actually that isn’t Suguru Geto, that’s Kenjaku who was also once a Noritoshi Kamo” to significantly matter. Geto could have just been a really talented jujutsu wizard and I don’t see how anything would change.

i feel like kenjaku being yujis mother has to matter in some way.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

UnderFreddy posted:

i feel like kenjaku being yujis mother has to matter in some way.

When Kenjaku said his will will be passed on all I could see is Yuji getting hosed over once again quite possibly during a pivotal moment in this current fight.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Kenjaku absolutely cannot be done because it seems like the Manga was setting Yuji up for a big reveal of his origins and his family history and how Kenjaku meddled with that and what that means to him etc or maybe gege just got rid of Kenjaku and none of that matters. I said before JJK was kind of like 2 different stories at odds with each other, but maybe its even like 3 or 4. There so much stuff that would be nice to see matter at all and not a lot of time to get to it.

Feels like we're witnessing a guy who had the juice and then lost it and is now desperately trying to squeeze a dried up husk for last bits before its over

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I assume because it is murdering the animators, rather than content in the series

Nope, reading their comments it's just the show content.

I raised it in that thread because i was confused about the reception online, but it's just the twitter discourse or this forum that seems to be negative though. If I ever discuss the show with friends or I hear about it in public the discourse is fine and people are loving the season.

It does make all the complaints about the culling games kinda funny though. I mean during this thread we had comparisons on how great Shibuya was and how the Culling games sucks, only for similar complaints to re-surface during Shibuya,. It's even more interesting than when not one person seems to have a consistent response and it's all over the shop.

I think what it tells me is that people don't remember the contents of the earlier stuff at all, because the one consistent complaint is " constant fights without emotional build up" and It's like did you even watch or read the early stuff? It was all goddamn fights, it never really had a lull and what's worse the characters just walked away from it fine despite the enemy they were facing, which made them all feel like they had plot armour on.

At least with Shibuya , the stakes are made clear, with no Gojo it's over for humanity so you gotta stop these guys or everyone you know is gonna die painfully, which they end up doing anyway.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This seems pretty terrible and unnecessary. I know the joke is Todo's brain processes way faster but the one panel revealing the locket then immediately into the clap using Mahito's hand was just better in conveying how split second the decision actually was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

This seems pretty terrible and unnecessary. I know the joke is Todo's brain processes way faster but the one panel revealing the locket then immediately into the clap using Mahito's hand was just better in conveying how split second the decision actually was.

Eh, it's the last time he'll do anything in the entire series, might as well give him a fun close out.

I do think they should have had him giving her a hand slap in the last bit instead so it could transition directly.