Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Tankbuster posted:

the game is less interested in doing political analysis than it is in doing woowoo stuff in a sci-fi skin. Tbh bethesda has generally been better at the latter than the former.

That's totally fine, if the dlc makes the proc gen system better and adds storylines that go in a more event horizon direction than a star trek direction, and is free, that would be a big improvement

infernal machines posted:

Again, I point to "unnamed crew members who are unused are deleted from the universe". A disposable workforce.

This poo poo is Art, man.

Does it actually mention anywhere in the game that they're supposed to go away after a while if you don't assign them, or does it really seem to be a bug? They're never very good anyway

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You get a corresponding tutorial message when you recruit unnamed crew so it seems to be intended (they probably don't want to have to keep track of potentially infinite actors).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

orcane posted:

You get a corresponding tutorial message when you recruit unnamed crew so it seems to be intended (they probably don't want to have to keep track of potentially infinite actors).

Infinite actors? No
Infinite half-eaten sandwiches? Yes

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Sites like Forbes should not review videogames.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
Some fresh gamer poop has dropped: (mans1ay3r has dropped a new video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bW3I9MQyvg

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Such painful wasted potential in this game. I wanted to love it, did love a few parts (3-4 good storylines that everybody else liked).

Ship building is everything i wanted and more, i love that in space you can see your crew walking around in the ship. I love that you can not only walk around in the ship while flying, but add custom window locations. This, added to the fallout mechanics, should have been all i wanted in a game ever. Ng+ is a great way to get the missed content in later fun throughs.

Then they tried to be Elite and failed, instead of trying to take all their content and saying it was in 2 solar systems.

Then they tried to be NMS and failed, faceplanting hard trying to pretend they had more than 4 live planets of content, and maybe 10 dead planets, and cataloging it was worth more than 20 minutes of play. Base building so shameful, after the perfect ship building.

People are right that there aren't enough conversation options that are different or interesting, too.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/ShitpostRock/status/1739212636691349731?t=Ec9EILlIyjFTNI2JVq_jEw&s=19

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

lol the grandma

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

E: nvm the source was a speculative post on reddit

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
what did you post?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

A reddit poster said that the story of the shattered space dlc is going to be focused on house varuun and a second serpents crusade. This is based on some in game graffiti afaict

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

this procgen stuff was definitely a trial for a possible return to the to a daggerfall-esque procgen model for TES6 since that game is basically a direct sequel to daggerfall :evilbuddy:

of course it didn't work out so we're going to see the scale of hammerfell shrink over 100x what it was in Daggerfall

I've been noodling around in Daggerfall Unity lately and honestly, if they just gave me a procgen sandbox with a sufficient number of quest variables I'd probably be happier with TES6 than whatever story Bethesda cooks up for it. Most of what makes TES games fun is the "go here, kill dudes, take and sell their stuff" loop anyway. Go whole hog on that, maybe make the overworld cells able to procgen one of a few dozen overworld set piece encounters like necromancers or bandits or whatever. I'm pretty confident that game would sell like hot cakes.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Bethesda should run away screaming from proc gen after the reaction to Starfield.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

NeurosisHead posted:

I've been noodling around in Daggerfall Unity lately and honestly, if they just gave me a procgen sandbox with a sufficient number of quest variables I'd probably be happier with TES6 than whatever story Bethesda cooks up for it. Most of what makes TES games fun is the "go here, kill dudes, take and sell their stuff" loop anyway. Go whole hog on that, maybe make the overworld cells able to procgen one of a few dozen overworld set piece encounters like necromancers or bandits or whatever. I'm pretty confident that game would sell like hot cakes.

This would loving suck lol

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Flowing Thot posted:

Bethesda should run away screaming from proc gen after the reaction to Starfield.

Procgen is a tool like anything else. Most of the trees and rocks and foliage in previous games were placed with procedural generation and nobody batted an eye.

I wonder if they had more ambitious plans to have full scale dungeons that were procedurally generated but it didn't pan out and they had to scramble to make the static POIs we have now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tiny Timbs posted:

This would loving suck lol

That might not be great, but they really did the bare minimum with procedural quests and locations in Starfield. It wouldn't suddenly make it a great game, but some intelligent randomization of the bases and a little more flavor (think of something like encounters in FTL) would've gone a long way I think.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean the thing is did anyone but the 100% completionist freaks actually go to all the dungeons and locations in Skyrim? Like they don't need to do some this is games going to have a map 8X larger than fallout 76 or whatever. Fallout 4 had a fine map size, just have a map that size and have the larger team make everything more unique and immersive. Don't need giant cities, just have the NPC react more to stuff the players done and quest lines. A smaller more lived in feeling world is far better than a super large dead feeling one.

While the writing let down a lot of skyrim and fallout 4 the locations usally did look pretty nice. The dungons were really the only part that too me sometimes felt a bit repetitive, maybe only having 1/2 the amount and spending more time on making each of them feel like a unique special location you really want to explore, rather than just a place with generic enemies you go through just to get to the loot box at the end or whatever.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If you bounce around for long enough in the same playthrough in Skyrim you'll probably hit most or all of the caves just looking for stuff to keep leveling up; I think the point of the random quest system was to get you to check it all out eventually

e radial? Radical

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

That might not be great, but they really did the bare minimum with procedural quests and locations in Starfield. It wouldn't suddenly make it a great game, but some intelligent randomization of the bases and a little more flavor (think of something like encounters in FTL) would've gone a long way I think.

Yeah it’s just like, I know storytelling and writing isn’t necessarily BGS’ strong suit but paring it down even more to deliver “[Bert the Elder] wants you to [kill] [11] [crabs] near [abandoned mine]” isn’t going in the right direction.

Starfield has the good stuff in it. It has clever little stories, quests, and encounters. It needed more, which they didn’t get to do, and it needed oversight to tie things together into interesting world building, which they didn’t do.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Inspector Hound posted:

If you bounce around for long enough in the same playthrough in Skyrim you'll probably hit most or all of the caves just looking for stuff to keep leveling up; I think the point of the random quest system was to get you to check it all out eventually

e radial? Radical

Stuff respawns so fast in Skyrim that hunting down new caves to loot wasn't really necessary anyways (and half the skills didn't need a hostile opponent to grind). Radiant quests could sometimes point you somewhere new but in my experience didn't do it enough to make that reliable, it was mostly a way to let you continue your faction roleplay after you've finished their quest line.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yea radiant quests prioritizing undiscovered locations seems like a real no-brainer. I guess nobody at BGS has a brain

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

I mean the thing is did anyone but the 100% completionist freaks actually go to all the dungeons and locations in Skyrim? Like they don't need to do some this is games going to have a map 8X larger than fallout 76 or whatever. Fallout 4 had a fine map size, just have a map that size and have the larger team make everything more unique and immersive. Don't need giant cities, just have the NPC react more to stuff the players done and quest lines. A smaller more lived in feeling world is far better than a super large dead feeling one.

While the writing let down a lot of skyrim and fallout 4 the locations usally did look pretty nice. The dungons were really the only part that too me sometimes felt a bit repetitive, maybe only having 1/2 the amount and spending more time on making each of them feel like a unique special location you really want to explore, rather than just a place with generic enemies you go through just to get to the loot box at the end or whatever.

I wonder if bragging about huge map sizes is going to go the way of bragging about graphics. We're past the point of diminishing returns in my opinion, it's not really impressive any more unless you've got something else to back it up

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you want Daggerfall 2, Light No Fire may be just the thing.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

I wonder if bragging about huge map sizes is going to go the way of bragging about graphics. We're past the point of diminishing returns in my opinion, it's not really impressive any more unless you've got something else to back it up

I'm banging on the screen yelling "crowd sizes" but no one is listening

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

yea radiant quests prioritizing undiscovered locations seems like a real no-brainer. I guess nobody at BGS has a brain

Skyrim radiant quests were not great, but they did genuinely send me to the occasional location I missed or overlooked. Fallout 4 though, I think they programmed it to specifically send you right back to areas you just cleared out, just with enemies respawned. Made exploring on your own feel counter productive since you'd just get sent there anyway to reread.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

Skyrim radiant quests were not great, but they did genuinely send me to the occasional location I missed or overlooked. Fallout 4 though, I think they programmed it to specifically send you right back to areas you just cleared out, just with enemies respawned. Made exploring on your own feel counter productive since you'd just get sent there anyway to reread.

The nemesis system from shadows of Mordor might be neat (note that I have not actually played SoM)

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

isndl posted:

Procgen is a tool like anything else. Most of the trees and rocks and foliage in previous games were placed with procedural generation and nobody batted an eye.

I wonder if they had more ambitious plans to have full scale dungeons that were procedurally generated but it didn't pan out and they had to scramble to make the static POIs we have now.

That's not what I mean and you know it.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

The nemesis system from shadows of Mordor might be neat (note that I have not actually played SoM)

Shadow of Mordor and its sequel Shadow of War are two of my favorite ps4 games, they have excellent combat, the nemesis system works great and can surprise you sometimes, they're like Assassin's Creed meets Arkham (another series that's just the bees knees). It would work great in a game like Starfield-- that bounty you took down an hour ago? He managed to survive, and he's back for revenge. Adoring Fan betraying you would be an actual game of the year moment

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like wishing for a Bethesda game to have the nemesis system is a bit of a monkey's paw because part of the reason it worked in the Mordor games was the combat gameplay loop was really good in a vaccuum and nearly every skill point was about adding and improving combat abilities, so having some enemies that show up that are immune to one ability but weak to others meant you had a reason to actually switch things up, even if you were leaning on some specific combat flows normally. Starfield's combat and difficulty scaling (on foot, anyways) begins and ends with "shoot them in the face" and "the hard ones have more health" with nearly every skill point and ability just being "do more damage" or "interrupt your opponent's damage", so what would the nemesis system even look like, "your bounty hunter has returned and they're immune to shotguns now"?

Starfield already feels like a weird spliced game that's got one foot in "fun FPS RPG with a good story" and the other in "expansive exploration base-builder", where they didn't commit fully to either and the result is literally half of each split down the middle, so I don't think adding more random features would help without revisiting how they decided to do combat from first principles

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

dr_rat posted:

Their fallout/skyrim dungeons are unique. They largely had two out of three tilesets for the most part - either skellington barrow/icky mucus/dorf fort.

Inspector Hound posted:

e radial? Radical

The best radiant quests were the thieves guild one because they had been designed with proper constraints, led you to places that you otherwise wouldn't go, were integrated very well into the story and led to bespoke story missions.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

DarkHorse posted:

Didn't they manage to lock that behind copyright? I remember that being talked about around that time, and haven't really seen any copy cats since.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I feel like wishing for a Bethesda game to have the nemesis system is a bit of a monkey's paw because part of the reason it worked in the Mordor games was the combat gameplay loop was really good in a vaccuum and...

Stealth archer was overpowered but the other reason to go for it every time is that melee combat is terrible. Going at someone with a sword felt like beating a mannequin with a plastic bat. At least in Skyrim you got a kill-cam. You didn't even get that in Oblivion. Your were rewarded with an akward ragdoll after getting them to say "Oof!" and " Nya Arrrrg!" enough times. The Morder games are a little dated themselves being Batman combat, but years beyond what Elder Scrolls calls a fight. I really want to know how ES6 is going to handle that. I can't imagine it being that same thing when it comes out in 2027 or so. It just can"t be.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I feel like wishing for a Bethesda game to have the nemesis system is a bit of a monkey's paw because part of the reason it worked in the Mordor games was the combat gameplay loop was really good in a vaccuum and nearly every skill point was about adding and improving combat abilities, so having some enemies that show up that are immune to one ability but weak to others meant you had a reason to actually switch things up, even if you were leaning on some specific combat flows normally. Starfield's combat and difficulty scaling (on foot, anyways) begins and ends with "shoot them in the face" and "the hard ones have more health" with nearly every skill point and ability just being "do more damage" or "interrupt your opponent's damage", so what would the nemesis system even look like, "your bounty hunter has returned and they're immune to shotguns now"?

Starfield already feels like a weird spliced game that's got one foot in "fun FPS RPG with a good story" and the other in "expansive exploration base-builder", where they didn't commit fully to either and the result is literally half of each split down the middle, so I don't think adding more random features would help without revisiting how they decided to do combat from first principles

I think people also forget that the entire Mordor games were built around the Nemesis system (and the first one by accident). It's not something you can just plug in to another game to make it better, if you take the Nemesis system out of Shadow of War there isn't any game left.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alchenar posted:

I think people also forget that the entire Mordor games were built around the Nemesis system (and the first one by accident). It's not something you can just plug in to another game to make it better, if you take the Nemesis system out of Shadow of War there isn't any game left.

It literally did get plugged into Skyrim in a really cool way

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/65136

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

It literally did get plugged into Skyrim in a really cool way

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/65136

Sorry I should rephrase; it'll absolutely make an already good game better, it won't do anything to fix a fundamentally boring game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can’t argue with that

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Flubby posted:

Stealth archer was overpowered but the other reason to go for it every time is that melee combat is terrible. Going at someone with a sword felt like beating a mannequin with a plastic bat. At least in Skyrim you got a kill-cam. You didn't even get that in Oblivion. Your were rewarded with an akward ragdoll after getting them to say "Oof!" and " Nya Arrrrg!" enough times. The Morder games are a little dated themselves being Batman combat, but years beyond what Elder Scrolls calls a fight. I really want to know how ES6 is going to handle that. I can't imagine it being that same thing when it comes out in 2027 or so. It just can"t be.

Ha! Of course it's going to be almost the same exact combat system as Skyrim with maybe a few things tweaked or made even simpler. Hoping for something different from Bethesda is just silly. They're the McDonald's of game studios. No matter how much advertising or spin they put on it, a McDeluxe is just a quarter pounder with mayo and lettuce on it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah, TED is absolutely a world where that system could work. Don't think Bethesda could quite handle it even if they did get the rights, and they have never even tried to figure out how to make combat fun, but the system itself could add a ton to the experience.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Edit oh you clarified right after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The danger for Bethesda really is Avowed. That game doesn't even have to end up being good, it just has to land with core combat gameplay that does something imaginative and different that exposes Bethesda a bit and they'll struggle to keep people's attention for TES6.