Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I did a marathon of Halloween movies and made it all the way through to past H20 but didn't make it past Resurrection.

4 is just alright but also hilarious about how Loomis burn scars move around a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I stopped about 20 minutes into Saltburn because it's sucking poo poo.

I feel like someone recommended it to troll me. Does this get better?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

moths posted:

If you don’t like it by now, I don’t think there’s a way you’ll be happier for watching more of it : :frogout:

I did not enjoy it, but the beginning had me thinking it might not be so bad. I was disappointed.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Fair enough!

I switched over to Dark Harvest and loved it, despite some flaws and anachronistic Misfits references.

E: I expected the anachronisms and 1936 to mean something, but maybe that's sequel material? (The opening oversized prize check is dated 1962 and numbered 26, drawn in Bastion Illinois.)

moths fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 28, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

moths posted:

I watched that tonight. Pretty bad. Haven’t seen Fennells first movie but if it’s filled with the same toothless and limp presentation that this movie was filled with then maybe I will continue to live in ignorance. It’s amazing what a filmmaker can accomplish with such beautiful and talented people who should be sweating sex off the screen but it’s as bone dry as a sand dune. Paper thin characterization and plotting with a very mismanaged sense of scale and grandeur that you can see she wants to emulate so badly but she has no idea where and how to get there. I’d love to say that at least she can emulate the greatest hits of a sexual thriller but I didn’t see any evidence she’s ever seen one or even had sex to begin with.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

moths posted:

From what I've seen peeking in on it, no it doesn't.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Woof, ok thanks all.

I went ahead and read a spoiler summary and huh. It must resonate with someone, but I don't know who that could be.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

moths posted:

Woof, ok thanks all.

I went ahead and read a spoiler summary and huh. It must resonate with someone, but I don't know who that could be.

Going from what I've seen, a handful of 21 year olds and mostly 17 yrs old and younger without any form of ID.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

moths posted:

It must resonate with someone, but I don't know who that could be.

Me tbh.

Like I get that there are a bunch of problems with the script, particularly some of the structural conceits and class commentary it's chosen to go in for (and it's not horror so this thread and it are probably misaligned in purpose), but a lot of the lead's anxieties about wealth, class, appearance, sexuality, etc. in the script reminded me of experiences I've been through. There are parts I find quite moving too.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I just watched The Empty Man. I had heard mixed things about it -some people said it was complete poo poo, other people said it was this huge overlooked gem. I knew nothing of the plot, just those reactions, so I went into it pretty much blind. I think I liked it.

The opening scenes almost turned me off the entire movie. I just did not like what they were doing with the sound design and it felt like people weren't acting like human beings, just reacting in ways to move along the plot.

But once we got to the main part of the movie, I liked it a lot more. It was a pretty fun detective story with cult stuff, which I always like.

Regarding the ending: this completely turned me around on the movie and changed my opinion from "it's meh" to "it's pretty drat good". The tulpa stuff was well done, James had so many moments in the movie where he doesn't remember stuff or has to be reminded or stuff or people lead him around and the payoff to that was well done and makes sense. It's similar to Hereditary in that a broken person can be taken over by this evil entity, but the mystery aspect of this was fun and made it stand out as unique.

I wouldn't say this is a "must see" but I think it's worth checking out if you've got the time. Definitely not as bad as people said it was, this seems like one of those movies that just didn't get marketed well and got lost in that 2020 miasma.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I liked Saltburn but it's definitely not in my top ten this year or anything. And it's probably more that I like Barry Keoghan, especially when he's being a creepy little weirdo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

moths posted:

I felt the exact same way when I watched it the other day. You're better off not finishing it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

A Fancy Hat posted:

I wouldn't say this is a "must see" but I think it's worth checking out if you've got the time. Definitely not as bad as people said it was, this seems like one of those movies that just didn't get marketed well and got lost in that 2020 miasma.

I've heard nothing but the opposite, where do you see people saying THE EMPTY MAN of all things was bad?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

I just watched The Empty Man. I had heard mixed things about it -some people said it was complete poo poo, other people said it was this huge overlooked gem. I knew nothing of the plot, just those reactions, so I went into it pretty much blind. I think I liked it.

The opening scenes almost turned me off the entire movie. I just did not like what they were doing with the sound design and it felt like people weren't acting like human beings, just reacting in ways to move along the plot.

But once we got to the main part of the movie, I liked it a lot more. It was a pretty fun detective story with cult stuff, which I always like.

Regarding the ending: this completely turned me around on the movie and changed my opinion from "it's meh" to "it's pretty drat good". The tulpa stuff was well done, James had so many moments in the movie where he doesn't remember stuff or has to be reminded or stuff or people lead him around and the payoff to that was well done and makes sense. It's similar to Hereditary in that a broken person can be taken over by this evil entity, but the mystery aspect of this was fun and made it stand out as unique.

I do find this take really interesting, only because I feel like I've seen a lot of people say the opposite - that they loved the opening scene and felt the rest of the movie was a let down.

For what it's worth, I loved the whole thing. One of my favorites of the decade so far.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I've heard nothing but the opposite, where do you see people saying THE EMPTY MAN of all things was bad?

I do wonder if this is another fun example of the movie being mixed up with The Bye Bye Man, which has basically the same plot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I enjoyed BYE BYE MAN.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I do wonder if this is another fun example of the movie being mixed up with The Bye Bye Man, which has basically the same plot.

I was also thinking of maybe a mix up involving The Snowman, which everyone pretty much unanimously agreed was terrible.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Basebf555 posted:

I was also thinking of maybe a mix up involving The Snowman, which everyone pretty much unanimously agreed was terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnlvJ_oe74w

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

When it first came out I was discouraged from even renting the thing from reviews like this one:

https://www.theonlycritic.com/post/review-hollow-the-empty-man-an-overlong-supernatural-thriller-that-goes-nowhere

It's definitely gotten a better reputation over time but it was pretty poorly reviewed when it came out and it seems like a lot of that still lingers to a degree.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I liked like 50% of The Empty Man. Then it goes downhill fast.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I enjoyed BYE BYE MAN.

honestly so did i! i still kinda want to do a Bye Bye Man / Empty Man double feature

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I liked 100% of the Empty Man. A vibe piece like an early 2000’s Michael Mann feature, but its horror.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dorium posted:

I liked 100% of the Empty Man. A vibe piece like an early 2000’s Michael Mann feature, but its horror.

"debut horror film from a guy who previously directed special features for David Fincher DVDs" really could've gone either way but yeah we got the good outcome

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, but eventually you get a creepy Steven Root.

A creepy Steven Root can make up for a lot.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"debut horror film from a guy who previously directed special features for David Fincher DVDs" really could've gone either way but yeah we got the good outcome

Honestly that's probably the best schooling you could ever have as an up and coming film maker. Getting to shadow arguably one of the greatest living american filmmakers in their prime, picture after picture, and getting to pick at the parts of the process that work and don't. If it turned out truly terrible I would've been shocked.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Glass half empty man

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

honestly so did i! i still kinda want to do a Bye Bye Man / Empty Man double feature

It was very obvious there was stuff just cut from the film to make it PG-13 and as a result feels more disjointed than it needs to be. But it's not as bad as the name would suggest.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I always get The Empty Man, The Bye Bye Man, and The Tall Man mixed up in my head.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks to this discussion, I've just now realized that the Empty Man and the Hollow Man are different movies.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Mover posted:

I always get The Empty Man, The Bye Bye Man, and The Tall Man mixed up in my head.

You leave Angus Scrimm out of this!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I enjoyed BYE BYE MAN.

same. extremely watchable and silly movie, in my memory it’s like the platonic ideal of “let me put on a fun bad recent horror movie”. some decent ideas in there too

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

thinking about the bit from Hollywood Masterclass where they’re talking about Slender Man and Bye Bye Man and Sean hisses “bye byeee” in a sinister voice.. got me smiling at work

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I thought the Bye Bye Man was something that Sean had made up. I'm amazed that isn't the case.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

thinking about the bit from Hollywood Masterclass where they’re talking about Slender Man and Bye Bye Man and Sean hisses “bye byeee” in a sinister voice.. got me smiling at work

That is pretty much the only thing I been thinking about on this page.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
People really shouldn't be sleeping on The Tall Man either. It's very, very stupid in a fantastic way.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

married but discreet posted:

People really shouldn't be sleeping on The Tall Man either. It's very, very stupid in a fantastic way.
They absolutely should be sleeping on it. The Tall Man might be the most singularly repellant movie since Show Dogs and its pro-grooming message. Like, the outright stated theme is beyond eugenics into literal class genocide, and not in favor of the correct class to be genociding. Like a movie coming out in favor of the practice of Residential Homes in Canada.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

The Bye Bye Man
The Empty Man
The Wicker Man
Slender Man
Hollow Man
The Invisible Man
Men
The Boy (basically just a tiny man)

That's not even getting into things like the Wolfman or the Gingerdead Man. Whole lotta spooky men out there, both on and off the screen.

Shrecknet posted:

They absolutely should be sleeping on it. The Tall Man might be the most singularly repellant movie since Show Dogs and its pro-grooming message. Like, the outright stated theme is beyond eugenics into literal class genocide, and not in favor of the correct class to be genociding. Like a movie coming out in favor of the practice of Residential Homes in Canada.

Had to look up both of these things as I didn't see either movie and I assumed Show Dogs was a goofy kids talking dog movie.

quote:

The film was criticized for normalizing child grooming based on a plot point that depicts the canine main character being forced to have his genitals fondled by a dog show judge without consent. In the film, other characters "teach" him not to think about it and to go to his "happy place" when that happens.

What the gently caress. Even in the most charitable reading that's some writer making a joke that should have been shut down immediately for being weird, not something that got filmed and voice acted and put into the finished film.

A Fancy Hat fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 28, 2023

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

The Bye Bye Man
The Empty Man
The Wicker Man
Slender Man
Hollow Man
The Invisible Man
Men

That's not even getting into things like the Wolfman or the Gingerdead Man. Whole lotta spooky men out there, both on and off the screen.

You're forgetting the scariest of all: Manos, the Hands of Fate

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What is a man?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Coming soon to a theatre near you: The What-is-a-Man Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

The Bye Bye Man
The Empty Man
The Wicker Man
Slender Man
Hollow Man
The Invisible Man
Men

Candyman
Cemetery Man
Tetsuo, the Iron Man