Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah. The logic behind it is literally the same as multiplying two negative numbers together. If you multiply two negative numbers together you get a positive. If you 'multiply' negative cursed energy by negative cursed energy you get positive cursed energy.

So Maki is dividing curse energy by zero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The script says one thing but the narrative doesn't really follow. Which is why the last year plus of the arc has felt like it was spinning in place becauae until All Might and bakugo showed up it was just a nonstop cavalcade of every d lister showing up to throw out an attack that got no sold on loop.

All of your criticism also apply to the current fight in JJK and its final moment will feel even less earned.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the slugfest against sukuna has occasionally been frustrating but it’s not even close to the interminable raid-boss feel that shigaraki, all for one, or madara gave off

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

the problem with sukuna is that he's systematically eliminating possibilities for surprising or unexpected turnarounds and we're being left with "it's time for yuji to finally show off his power ups and go head to head with sukuna and get into what exactly is the deal there" but like. we've been heading there forever. I have been waiting for this particular fireworks factory for ages but all we are doing at this point boils down to watching sukuna loudly reiterate that this can only end at the fireworks factory. we haven't really delved into his beliefs and he remains largely the same dude he was at "stand proud, you were strong." which was a cool villain to anticipate fighting over 100 chapters ago! but we have bled this dead horse dry.

much like a paul hollywood handshake, I've seen sukuna offer a begrudging respect to so many opponents that it's losing interest or meaning. it was a cool and iconic moment with jogo, it was an expected beat in the context of gojo losing, it was boring with kashimo, and it's just nothing at this point.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 28, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

trucutru posted:

So Maki is dividing curse energy by zero?

It's honestly closer to when you start a video game and make a dump stat so you can hyper boost another at character creation. Toji took a 0 at Cursed Energy Manipulation and got a 10 in Physical Prowess, Maki was more like a 2/8 until Mai died and then she got to 0/10, and Mechamaru was a 10/0. It's basically a 'natural' Binding Vow.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Is it established that Toji had literally zero cursed energy?

This always seemed ambiguous to me because we know normal non-sorcerers do have some nominal amount of cursed energy, and we also know that a sorcerer with the highest amount of granularity (Gojo), can, in fact sense Toji without seeing him, even as a child (the scene where Toji goes to see Gojo), which to me suggests that while they have some existing amount of cursed energy, it is not in fact zero.

This has nothing to do with your point but it is something I've thought about while reading the manga :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taima posted:

This always seemed ambiguous to me because we know normal non-sorcerers do have some nominal amount of cursed energy, and we also know that a sorcerer with the highest amount of granularity (Gojo), can, in fact sense Toji without seeing him, even as a child (the scene where Toji goes to see Gojo), which to me suggests that while they have some existing amount of cursed energy, it is not in fact zero.

This has nothing to do with your point but it is something I've thought about while reading the manga :shrug:

From how it is described yeah, none at all. When Maki goes on her rampage there is literally not a trace of her except for the cursed tool she was using.

Gojo can sense Toji because he's got the Six Eyes which are just one of his many many hack abilities.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The translation I read distinguished toji from normals because he really is zero.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Taima posted:

I'm pretty sure Gojo can sense him because he's got insanely enhanced perception overall from Six Eyes, he loses track of Toji during a chaotic fight and since he can't find him via cursed energy, he tries to sense for his weapon-holster curse instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's also worth noting Yuji may have some form of Heavenly Restriction as well considering he is abnormally strong and tough long before he gets involved with curses directly and he needs to eat a finger to get genuine access to cursed energy. It's kind of funny that Yuji is the protagonist but we genuinely know the absolute minimum about his actual power set beyond "is incredibly strong, durable and fast." Everything else has either been tied to his possession, happened offscreen, or involves arguing that he has the ability to implant memories in people's brains.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 28, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ImpAtom posted:

It's also worth noting Yuji may have some form of Heavenly Restriction as well considering he is abnormally strong and tough long before he gets involved with curses directly and he needs to eat a finger to get genuine access to cursed energy. It's kind of funny that Yuji is the protagonist but we genuinely know the absolute minimum about his actual power set beyond "is incredibly strong, durable and fast." Everything else has either been tied to his possession, happened offscreen, or involves arguing that he has the ability to implant memories in people's brains.

Theres so much backstory stuff in general thats just been alluded to but not really fleshed out. I really wonder if Gege is even going to bring it up.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That's such a good point. I hadn't considered that, but it lends a little credence to the theory that Yuji and Sukuna are twins or otherwise related. Yuji being the twin with no cursed energy, and Sukuna being hobbled by it before presumably doing something untoward to become the Fallen One and ascend (maybe kill his twin...?) Hell, Yuji could even be some version of incarnated sorceror based on Sukuna's twin but without the memories, which would make tons of sense, especially if Sukuna killed the twin young; he wouldn't have the memories that the other incarnated sorcerers have. And it would possibly speak to the nature of the pact formed between Sukuna and Kenjaku which we still don't know the dimensions of.

That would explain Sukuna's extreme distain for Yuji and also explain why he's so incredibly sure that Yuji will amount to nothing.

It also explains why Yuji has a heavenly restriction: he has no cursed energy until the time he eats the first finger, and becomes "soaked in Sukuna's cursed energy" as Gojo explains when he makes the case that Yuji will eventually inherit Sukuna's CE. It's seemingly a strange case where Yuji is able to maintain his heavenly restriction because he essentially gets buffed with another person's rather than exuding his own. Even after Sukuna has left Yuji, Sukuna as an ascended being has so much cursed energy that even the residuals, combined with a heavenly restriction, are super strong.

:shrug: probably not but I've been trying to decide what I think Yuji is since forever.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

It's honestly closer to when you start a video game and make a dump stat so you can hyper boost another at character creation. Toji took a 0 at Cursed Energy Manipulation and got a 10 in Physical Prowess, Maki was more like a 2/8 until Mai died and then she got to 0/10, and Mechamaru was a 10/0. It's basically a 'natural' Binding Vow.

More like having zero faith in Final Fantasy Tactics

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

trucutru posted:

More like having zero faith in Final Fantasy Tactics

Nah, Toji/Maki absolutely can still be harmed by Cursed Energy. They're not immune to techniques, they are just so insanely strong and capable that you need to be absurdly strong to stand a chance of surviving long enough to actually use one.

They can get through barriers and Domain Expansions because they have no cursed energy so they 'register' to the curse as an inanimate object. Basically stealth mode.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Taima posted:

:shrug: probably not but I've been trying to decide what I think Yuji is since forever.

So Kenjaku is Yuji's birth mother but is unrelated to his twin? And Choso, who is younger than Sukuna, is also the older half brother of his twin?

Talk about a telenovela.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

We also don't really know the full extent of how the whole cursed item into possession works out do we? For all we know the sword might work out exactly as hoped and Megumi is freed, just that since Yuji was the one who technically ate all the fingers Sukuna just snaps back into being contained inside him. That would also set up for the final missing finger to become relevant real quick.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yuji had cursed energy. Just normal person amounts. Like Maki did before Mai's death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yuji had cursed energy. Just normal person amounts. Like Maki did before Mai's death.

Yeah, he obviously doesn't have a full-grade "0 cursed energy" restriction but his abnormal physical prowess either points to him having something akin to Maki's limitations or the author just thought it was really funny for him to be a powerhouse before he gets superpowers and stuck with it.

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

I thought so too but rereading it its because they all share a third wheel parent. Is this where that theory stemmed from ? It has no basis I thought anymore I thought

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Oxxidation posted:

the slugfest against sukuna has occasionally been frustrating but it’s not even close to the interminable raid-boss feel that shigaraki, all for one, or madara gave off

the key difference i feel is JJK isn't even pretending our ineffectual losers stand a chance here. It seemed like every week in My Hero the chapter would end with a D Lister popping off with a big speech and a big flashy attack only to get absolutely no sold by AFO/Shiggy come the start of the next chapter. At no point in JJK is anyone under the impression that higuruma will clutch a W on sukuna, him even trying is textually suicide.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kneelbeforezog posted:

I thought so too but rereading it its because they all share a third wheel parent. Is this where that theory stemmed from ? It has no basis I thought anymore I thought

That is (likely) the intended reading, but people point out that it happened there and also Todo's 10,000 IQ brain created a world where Yuji was his best friend, and apparently the anime plays it up more in a way that makes people think that?

I think it is just a case of reusing the "Are we suddenly best friends?" thing more than it being a secret power though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheHan posted:

the key difference i feel is JJK isn't even pretending our ineffectual losers stand a chance here. It seemed like every week in My Hero the chapter would end with a D Lister popping off with a big speech and a big flashy attack only to get absolutely no sold by AFO/Shiggy come the start of the next chapter. At no point in JJK is anyone under the impression that higuruma will clutch a W on sukuna, him even trying is textually suicide.

not sure if this is a judgment call but I find that way more preferable than the usual way these fights proceed, especially in a story where self-destructive impulses are a common thread across most of the cast

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Oxxidation posted:

not sure if this is a judgment call but I find that way more preferable than the usual way these fights proceed, especially in a story where self-destructive impulses are a common thread across most of the cast

Oh nah, i super love it. Even though it's agonizing seeing my faves get shredded, it's long been established that being a sorcerer will inevitably destroy you. I'd much rather there be a massacre over just paying lip service to how dire the situation is.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

No Wave posted:

I have trouble believing you actually find this concept fascinating.

I absolutely do, Sukuna owns

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only interesting thing about Sukuna is that he's basically the only self-actualized guy in the series. Gojo loses to him because even that nearly god-like version of Gojo is Gojo's compromise to himself, which he made because of his attachment to Geto whom he had made his conscience. Self-actualized Gojo would've just obliterated the Jujutsu world's higherups and brought the society to heel. Sukuna is the best version of himself and that clarity is part of what's letting him basically mog everyone here.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
They should have just feed 20 jujutsu criminals a finger each and killed them immediately.

But they had to gently caress around to find out.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh I don't have a problem with sukuna except for the way the gojo fight ended, because we're left in a position where it doesn't even seem feasible for the heroes to win. maybe they'll just go full devilman crybaby and that might be interesting but it's hard to feel invested in this fight as is. like I have at no point had faith in that one-shot sword working, and that's their singular option right now because the heroes are hilariously outclassed and there's no reason to believe that will change

I really feel like the way the gojo-sukuna fight ended sucked all the air out of this situation. and even if the comedy duel was really fun, it came at the expense of any narrative payoff between kenjaku and yuji. tho I guess we could hard cut back to kenjaku being fine with yuta in pieces on the floor. that wouldn't surprise me at all

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

trucutru posted:

They should have just feed 20 jujutsu criminals a finger each and killed them immediately.

But they had to gently caress around to find out.

Sounds like a great way to get 20 superpowered curse users running around after they murder their captors through unknown tricks.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Sounds like a great way to get 20 superpowered curse users running around after they murder their captors through unknown tricks.

I was not thinking about feeding them a finger and keeping them captive afterwards for more than a nanosecond.

Anyways, is Sukuna's cursed technique all his slash variations or has he not technically revealed it yet?

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

so is six eyes just spider sense + massive MP cost reduction of casting spells?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Doctor Teeth posted:

its a bunch of bullshit like can see for miles clearly, can see the flow of cursed energy at an atomic level, precise understanding of cursed techniques from that, see through walls and poo poo etc

its the atomic ce manipulation that allows for infinite ce

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

trucutru posted:

I was not thinking about feeding them a finger and keeping them captive afterwards for more than a nanosecond.

The whole deal as that most people would just instantly die and leave the finger behind. Even curse spirits we see that ate them just basically house them inside and the fingers aren't destroyed when they die. Very very rarely someone could incarnate that fragment of Sukuna, much like Yuji did and then you could kill them to destroy it but you gotta fight a Sukuna to do that. Yuji's incarnation and control was the wild card that made actually destroying Sukuna possible since not only could you guaranteed have someone that can incarnate him (Which Megumi called a 1 in a million shot anyway) but someone you could let live long enough to eat multiple instead of having to immedietly kill your 1 in a million asset.

You'd basically be looking for 20 incredibly rare people to be your human sacrifices to go with the 20 incredibly hard to find evil objects and be willing to have 20 fights with even a de-powered Sukuna kill it.

It's why they just had them in storage instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor Teeth posted:

Nah, it's also like absurd mega-vision. Gojo can see through his blindfold, see kilometers away in perfect detail, see cursed energy down to the atomic level which allows him to both manipulate it more easily and to identify what an enemy is going to do, in addition to giving him infinite MP and extrasensory perception.

Six Eyes is some incredible bullshit. Limitless is great but Six Eyes is raw hacks.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I really feel like the way the gojo-sukuna fight ended sucked all the air out of this situation. and even if the comedy duel was really fun, it came at the expense of any narrative payoff between kenjaku and yuji. tho I guess we could hard cut back to kenjaku being fine with yuta in pieces on the floor. that wouldn't surprise me at all

I definitely feel like all current events would have felt more satisfying if it went peanut brigade tries everything to peel off some off some of Sukuna's tricks -> after weakening gojo goes in for the kill but fails -> yuji and higurama go in for the executioner's sword finisher, rather than the current order of events. There's for sure something that feels unsatisfying right now, but I can't really put my finger on what.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Well the problem with anyone but Gojo going to confront Sukuna is that it was set up as nobody had any chance of fighting Sukuna before he got even stronger by getting four additional fingers. I outright would refuse to buy anyone showing up and managing to do anything but be man handled before Sukuna got bored and kills them, which is funnily the same situation they're in now which makes all of Gojo's fight falls flat in hindsight.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

Well the problem with anyone but Gojo going to confront Sukuna is that it was set up as nobody had any chance of fighting Sukuna before he got even stronger by getting four additional fingers. I outright would refuse to buy anyone showing up and managing to do anything but be man handled before Sukuna got bored and kills them, which is funnily the same situation they're in now which makes all of Gojo's fight falls flat in hindsight.

This is true for sure though. I think Gege just kinda hosed up in making Sukuna too strong. From a consistency perspective i respect them for sticking with it and not retroactively nerfing him in one way or another, but from a storytelling perspective it's sadly just not working out as satisfying as it would have if Sukuna had just been about 20% less omnipotent.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
don’t worry, we still have one more potential man left.
the gangs just holding out until he lands on namek after he murked the secondary antagonist

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

yum posted:

don’t worry, we still have one more potential man left.
the gangs just holding out until he lands on namek after he murked the secondary antagonist

nobara's bout to bring the hammer down on sukuna.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

cgfreak posted:

This is true for sure though. I think Gege just kinda hosed up in making Sukuna too strong. From a consistency perspective i respect them for sticking with it and not retroactively nerfing him in one way or another, but from a storytelling perspective it's sadly just not working out as satisfying as it would have if Sukuna had just been about 20% less omnipotent.

If Yuji really does have what he's implied to have he's kind of amazing:

- some form of heavenly restriction like Toji/Maki
- Soaked in Sukuna's CE so he also has cursed energy
- Can eat things to get more cursed energy (and has apparently eaten the cursed wombs)
- Can swap souls and can apparently hit the soul directly, as his hit against Sukuna earlier implied
- Apparently has amazing RCT if, uh, "recent events" are to be believed

He's theoretically the total package and probably the only thing I could see beating Sukuna at his own game. Not saying he will, mind you, but the pieces are all there.

Also, it's neither here nor there but there's also a chance that all will seem lost at some point and Sukuna will finally have the "Yuji is my friend" memory switch thing and it will confuse him just long enough to land the winning blow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
that last page is yuji stabbing sukuna right? so whats the asspull gonna be