Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The railgun ammo naming is loving baffling and the fact I’m also expected to remember which gun takes 7.7mm caseless vs 6.5mm caseless is almost as annoying as their boner for caseless ammo in the first place. Terrible choice for a gun that might be used in a vacuum or thin atmosphere since you’re throwing away a major way to sink heat from the gun.

You just look at the gun and it says it right on the description?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Tiny Timbs posted:

It literally did get plugged into Skyrim in a really cool way

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/65136
Sorry for digging this up from several pages back, but the linked mod's description taught me that WB has a patent on their Nemesis system. I find it insane that you can actually patent gameplay.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

anatomi posted:

Sorry for digging this up from several pages back, but the linked mod's description taught me that WB has a patent on their Nemesis system. I find it insane that you can actually patent gameplay.

patents are one of the most hosed up legal constructs ever created:

https://www.theverge.com/2012/11/7/3614506/apple-patents-rectangle-with-rounded-corners

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Patents are great when used as intended: as a way to encourage people to publish their discoveries, incentivizing sharing by giving a (time-limited) monopoly backed by the power of the state.

Immortal corporations, regulatory capture, and rent-seeking behavior has resulted in this system being co-opted into a perpetual monopoly where every idea is extracted for every possible licensing penny, ultimately strangling these ideas and preventing their spread.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The patent office is also hilariously under staffed to the point that they rubber stamp
a ton of crap that should never be granted and more or less rely on lawsuits to weed out the bad ones.

But that doesn’t prevent a whole ecosystem of scummy companies from existing solely to squat ideas and demand royalties.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

anatomi posted:

Honestly the nemesis poo poo is expected, the real crack ping is when you see all the poo poo Nintendo filed for TOTK like "the mathematical concept of a player jumping onto with a moving object"

https://automaton-media.com/en/news/20230808-20590/

quote:

the movement of movable dynamic objects placed in the virtual space is controlled by physics calculations, and the movement of the player’s character is controlled by user input. When the player’s character and a dynamic object come in contact in the downward direction relative to the character (in other words, when the character is on top of an object), the movement of the dynamic object is added to the movement of the player’s character.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've never cared much for the "see that mountain?" callout either, but if I was going to give a charitable interpretation it's that, yes, you can "climb that mountain", in the sense that there's a road going up and it and you can walk up that road and it will take you two real life minutes and offer nothing more than a hand placed frost troll and admittedly pretty good vibes. You don't "climb a mountain", any more than you climbed mount kand in Morrowind.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You do need to climb at least a couple of mountains in Skyrim! There's the one the Monastery is on and there's one with a shrine of, uh, some daedra, Asura I think? on top of it!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My point being, and I'm more trying to make an argument on behalf of someone else here, is that you climb mountains in Breath of the Wild and Jusant, in Skyrim you walk up a road that happens to be fairly steep and has a couple switch backs.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

would you not call this climbing a mountain: https://tedmuller.us/Outdoor/Hiking/2015/150925-LassenPeak.htm

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The real funny thing is in the video in question, Todd Howard says "you see that mountain, you can walk to the top of it"

The internet mis-transcribing it and getting mad at the thing that wasn't said is extremely on brand though

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe it's just me, but you're not climbing a mountain if you're walking. Climbing means you ascend more or less vertically through a series of hand and foot holds. You climb up a mountain side and a ladder, you walk up a mountain path and a set of stairs. They just feel very different to me in both real life and video games. I would never go bouldering or climbing, but I've scrambled up steepish slopes where you would roll backwards if you fell.

This isn't even some gripe I have about Skyrim, that's just what I assumed the complaint was.

Edit: that's a hilarious point about his wording be actually quite accurate.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

VostokProgram posted:

why did the mountain thing become a meme anyway. afaik you can in fact climb any mountain in skyrim

crowbcat made a meme video which got spammed until it became real.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

VostokProgram posted:

in 12 years I've never seen an invisible wall apart from the map edges and I've never heard of a mod to remove invisible walls

there weren't but people will straight up make insanely stupid things like "the game has no design docs" so this is relatively minor.

Magmarashi posted:

I play NV with the walls modded out and this doesn't happen

It doesn't. The NPCs aren't loaded in when you aren't there. It was obsidian bruteforcing a way to force you to sneak through the area beyond the powderganger prison instead of walking away.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 28, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

My point being, and I'm more trying to make an argument on behalf of someone else here, is that you climb mountains in Breath of the Wild and Jusant, in Skyrim you walk up a road that happens to be fairly steep and has a couple switch backs.

BotW is a good example because it totally raised the minimum bar and there's almost no way the next TES will not smash right into it face first. Climbing alone they've barely managed ladders in Starfield and not very well at that.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Khanstant posted:

BotW is a good example because it totally raised the minimum bar and there's almost no way the next TES will not smash right into it face first. Climbing alone they've barely managed ladders in Starfield and not very well at that.

Did it though? BotW was basically just spiderman climbing but slow and with stamina, which has been a thing since at least the PS2 for open world games.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Maybe it's just me, but you're not climbing a mountain if you're walking. Climbing means you ascend more or less vertically through a series of hand and foot holds. You climb up a mountain side and a ladder, you walk up a mountain path and a set of stairs. They just feel very different to me in both real life and video games. I would never go bouldering or climbing, but I've scrambled up steepish slopes where you would roll backwards if you fell.

This isn't even some gripe I have about Skyrim, that's just what I assumed the complaint was.

Edit: that's a hilarious point about his wording be actually quite accurate.

Forgive me for not being a native english speaker but isn't climb the common verb you use for stairs? you climb the stairs, sure you can also walk up them but climb seems to be one of the default verbs here. Honestly it's the same for mountains, you climb them, regardless of how you actually ascend them, unless you are flying to the top or something.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hel posted:

Did it though? BotW was basically just spiderman climbing but slow and with stamina, which has been a thing since at least the PS2 for open world games.

Forgive me for not being a native english speaker but isn't climb the common verb you use for stairs? you climb the stairs, sure you can also walk up them but climb seems to be one of the default verbs here. Honestly it's the same for mountains, you climb them, regardless of how you actually ascend them, unless you are flying to the top or something.

Not saying the bar should not have been raised earlier, but absolutely, I've played a handful of games since BotW that lacked climbing and gliding and they felt shittier for it. Even Elden Ring felt like it was missing them with expected combat additions using them.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Hel posted:

You are correct, it is an incredible pedantic distinction to make

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hel posted:

Eh, not really. Like, yes, "Climb the stairs" works but it would have to be a very specific situation to use that. Like, if the action itself is the important part, e.g. "Bill hurt his foot climbing the stairs."

"Walking up" is almost always going to be the better pick, and most of the time the action of going up the stairs is going to be completely elided and the destination focused on. So you might say "Bob walked upstairs to go to bed." "upstairs" in this case being the second story of the house, not "up the stairs."

edit: in comparison you're always going to use "climb" when talking about a ladder, unless it's using a more generic construction like "went up the ladder."

Meanwhile I'd argue in a very from the hip kind of way that "climbing a mountain" implies actually climbing in English, not walking. If I say I climbed Mt Hood people are going to assume I'm out there with crampons and poo poo. Otherwise you'd say something like "hiked to the top of" or "drove to the top of" etc.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The whole "climb that mountain" bit was always about how in other games you might see moutnains in the background but they are just backdrops to look at and in Skyrim you can walk up to it on any direction (technically).

Now it would be better if we had actual interesting movement systems to climb mountains but there is a reason even Cyberpunk moved away from those.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
pull up thread, pull up

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chillmatic posted:

climb up thread, climb up

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think the distinction between climbing and walking is a cool and fun thing to talk about :shrug: but I also think it's just a language discussion and I'm not trying to, like, win one over on the people that use climb when I would use walk.

I just mostly really really hope the next Elder Scrolls is smaller

I'm curious, but not particularly optimistic, to see what Bethesda does with Starfield over the next year. I believe they sold enough copies, so if they want to make changes, I think they have room and time to do that.

That's basically correct, right? Starfield's current player count may be terrible but they sold lots and lots of copies?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

My real question is 1) what the DLC is going to do and 2) how much it’s going to cost.

If it’s free DLC that fixes a lot of problems? loving awesome, won me back at least in part. $20 DLC that fixes stuff? Ehhhh I’ll get it on sale in a year.

$50 DLC? gently caress off.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

tadashi posted:

You just look at the gun and it says it right on the description?

You can, but you have to do that pretty much every time because no way are you remembering off hand what ammo type each gun you have takes.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I pick up all the ammo because it's weightless

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

My real question is 1) what the DLC is going to do and 2) how much it’s going to cost.

If it’s free DLC that fixes a lot of problems? loving awesome, won me back at least in part. $20 DLC that fixes stuff? Ehhhh I’ll get it on sale in a year.

$50 DLC? gently caress off.

Well if the first DLC's free that's going to piss off a lot of people who paid for "the collectors edition" or what ever it's called, that's meant to include the first bit of DLC.

If they were smart though they would go the No Man's Sky route and include new features and additional content in upcoming patches, to at least trying and fix some of the more glaring gameplay problems. No idea if they will or not, but it would certainly be the smartest option. The only thing like that I'm fairly confident they will do is adding in a Survival mode, as it was mentioned a few times and they've done it in the past. As it seems like they chickened out and got rid of quite a few things that made space exploration harder seems like adding that stuff back in again wouldn't be to hard if it was already done. If it will be any good or not who knows, but at the least it might show sort of more what the game was originally intended to be.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think the distinction between climbing and walking is a cool and fun thing to talk about :shrug: but I also think it's just a language discussion and I'm not trying to, like, win one over on the people that use climb when I would use walk.

I'm curious, but not particularly optimistic, to see what Bethesda does with Starfield over the next year. I believe they sold enough copies, so if they want to make changes, I think they have room and time to do that.

That's basically correct, right? Starfield's current player count may be terrible but they sold lots and lots of copies?

That and it's on GamesPass so they have access to a large pool of players, not sure how many of them would be tempted back in. We've all written our essays on how to make it better but most of those come with the acknowledgement that Bethesda itself is unwilling and uninterested in making games like their consumers actually expected.

I don't see an NMS redemption arc given the nature of the game, they'd literally need to rewrite a new main story and redo all the side quests, it's not a matter of improving systems at this point for me, that might've helped first impressions but they can't polish this turd they need to poo poo out something else entirely.

I'm actually excited for NMS2 because they are doing exactly what I hoped, go smaller and try to make one believable planet instead of a galaxy of tiled patterns.ehich you'd think the logical progression would've always been do an island -> do a big coubtry or continent -> do a planet -> do a solar system -> victory lap, apply it all to a galaxy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chillmatic posted:

pull up thread, pull up

I prefer to ride my horse straight up a vertical cliff face

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

hawowanlawow posted:

Bingo, arrows and ammo are free money, better than eons and sidestars

e and how can a bow weigh like 35 pounds anyway

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

hawowanlawow posted:

:same:

Buying ammo from vendors in NG++etc,I have to switch to the "sell" menu to remember what gun I'm using, let alone the ammo that's used in it

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

the current player count is on par with other singleplayer games a few months after release.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The current player count (at least, according to Steam) is also probably functionally useless to look at, since it's a $70 game that's free if you're playing it via gamepass

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
it has the same proportion as elden ring - a game that raised the bar for open world rpgs (somehow)

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The current player count (at least, according to Steam) is also probably functionally useless to look at, since it's a $70 game that's free if you're playing it via gamepass

and it's a singleplayer game you can play in offline mode...

Like, I remember having this talk when Cyberpunk came out...

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you have to understand. Bethesda has to fire everyone and make their next game in UE5 and fill it with sexy dames and blokes who will blow you. Otherwise the story is flawed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

you have to understand. Bethesda has to fire everyone and make their next game in UE5 and fill it with sexy dames and blokes who will blow you. Otherwise the story is flawed.

I don’t think anyone here is saying that.

They’re just saying the plot is bad and the game mechanics are the freshest innovations that 2011 has to offer.

Fake edit: that’s too unkind. The best mechanics 2015 has to offer.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The plot is alright at getting you to go out exploring. The bigger issue is that there is nothing stopping you from abusing fast travel. Fallout 4's plot was also servicable but the game was carried hard by it's exploration and general gameplay loop - that was before survival mode came out.

Bethesda needs something more comprehensive than a survival mode to stretch out elements of the game and not have them be so jarring.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bholder posted:

and it's a singleplayer game you can play in offline mode...

Like, I remember having this talk when Cyberpunk came out...

Yeah, it's just kind of a useless number for multiple reasons

that said

According to SteamDB the current player counts are 10k in FO76, 13k in Starfield, 15k in FO4 and 25k in Skyrim SE

The numbers don't actually mean anything but it's moderately funny to see regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don’t think anyone here is saying that.

They’re just saying the plot is bad and the game mechanics are the freshest innovations that 2011 has to offer.

Fake edit: that’s too unkind. The best mechanics 2015 has to offer.

Caveat: as long as you think that Fallout 4 had the best mechanics on offer