Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Hot pot
Sep 17, 2015

RuBisCO posted:

Booked a flight to Japan for Mar/Apr :toot:

It'll be my first time, anime chat thread please give me some to-dos

Wander around a https://www.donki.com/en/.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Furnaceface posted:

At least you have a house/condo. Whole lot of us that will never know that luxury let alone being able to (eventually) travel overseas. :smith:
I wound up moving into the second floor of my childhood home to take care of my mom a long time ago. She has never really gotten "better" so it eventually just became me putting my name on the deed as shared ownership during refinancing(protip for those who might inherit a house from your parents, do this) and now I just share ownership of the house and pay the mortgage and its basically mine now. Which is honestly fine with me since I love my old house and if it ever got sold it'd probably wind up in the hands of Blackrock or whatever dystopian realty megacorp who would 100% without question bulldoze the house and entire property and build duplexes on the land instead because that's what they've been doing all over town

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

RuBisCO posted:

Booked a flight to Japan for Mar/Apr :toot:

It'll be my first time, anime chat thread please give me some to-dos

If I might, I have some opinions from my family trip 5 years ago, even if they might be outdated:

-The JR Pass is still worth it even if they increased the price if you're planning on visiting multiple cities. Specially since bullet trains are amazing.

-If you bring luggage and go multiple places try looking for a luggage sending service, we used that to send luggage from Kyoto to Tokyo. I have a nice memory of an old couple who run one of those places and we communicated in my medium Japanese and a translation app and we had laughs and got a discount.

-On that note, look up some Japanese useful sentences, sometimes English won't get you very far. Like "Ikura desu ka?" to ask how much something costs.

-You will get lost on the Tokyo subway. Persona 5 was absolutely faithful to real life in that aspect.

-This is more of a personal opinion, but try not to visit too many temples, I felt they got samey after a while. Kiyomizudera in Kyoto was beautiful though, even with the construction work it had. We got to visit the Imperial Palace and it was nice too, but not sure if it's open.

-If you have any allergies I'd say to not go to fast food restaurants, they usually did not accomodate my celliac sister. That said normal restaurants did usually pay attention to that.

-Convinience stores are extremely useful if you need something quick.

-Check out if there's gonna be any events or special things you like while you're there. Don't be like me and miss out on the Kyoto Pokemon Center opening because you were going to go to the Tokyo one.

-Akihabara is great if you want nerd stuff, but arcades require buying a card and also are traps.

-Iida meat is better than Kobe meat.

-If you can afford one, a guide could help you find less known places.

-Don't eat extra spicy ramen.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
what's wrong with extra spicy ramen

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Spicy food sucks?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
insanely and emphatically wrong

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ohtori Akio posted:

Oh sorry, that was partially a joke cause I ate spicy ramen at Kyoto station and 5 minutes later I fell in the middle of going into the bathroom with a heatstroke? not sure the word and also a massive bellyache that had us going into the hotel instead of what we had planned.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Oh sorry, that was partially a joke cause I ate spicy ramen at Kyoto station and 5 minutes later I fell in the middle of going into the bathroom with a heatstroke? not sure the word and also a massive bellyache that had us going into the hotel instead of what we had planned.

whats the spot brother i gotta try it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

As someone who cannot handle spicy food at all (most wrt digestion), I have to still heartily agree with this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meowywitch posted:

Spicy food sucks?

meowy...wtf sis

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ohtori Akio posted:

on the spicy scale from 1-10 how spicy is this stuff

cuz I really like it and it's slightly spicy to me but also I am basically a vampire with how white I am so I don't usually do spicy at all so it could be a 0 on the scale for all I know

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ohtori Akio posted:

whats the spot brother i gotta try it

Like, it was one of the multiple restaurants you can find at Kyoto Station, can't exactly remember. Basically my sister couldn't eat there so my other sister and I went and I asked for the same thing as her.

I also might have eaten it too fast since my sister said you could bear the heat of the noodles that way.

Last Celebration posted:

As someone who cannot handle spicy food at all (most wrt digestion), I have to still heartily agree with this.

Same, I do enjoy some spicy food and such. But ramen and me seem to not mix well, I once ate takeout ramen my sister left me and the results were not pretty.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

kirbysuperstar posted:

meowy...wtf sis

My body is frail and i also have ibs

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 29, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
those with medically fail intestines are exempt from spice contempt

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Meowywitch posted:

My nofy is frail and i also have ibs

Sigh very well

you should try a mild butter chicken someday though, delicious stuff

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Captain Invictus posted:

on the spicy scale from 1-10 how spicy is this stuff

cuz I really like it and it's slightly spicy to me but also I am basically a vampire with how white I am so I don't usually do spicy at all so it could be a 0 on the scale for all I know

i actually can't do most packaged noodles like this because i abstain from meat. those full heat buldok carbonaras really beat my rear end though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sigh very well

you should try a mild butter chicken someday though, delicious stuff

Maybe Coco-ichi Curry will have some.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ohtori Akio posted:

i actually can't do most packaged noodles like this because i abstain from meat. those full heat buldok carbonaras really beat my rear end though
supposedly that kimchi ramen is vegan, but idk

I have some older versions of it that say that but that one apparently doesn't so who knows

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Captain Invictus posted:

supposedly that kimchi ramen is vegan, but idk I have some older versions of it that say that but that one apparently doesn't so who knows

hm ill see if i can snag a pack

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah wait wrong one, I was thinking of a different kind that had the vegan mark on the label that i got at a local asian grocery, not that kind that shows up in the supermarket, which doesn't have that label. My bad

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
you are now my foe for all time. count your days like coins of gold, for they are short

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have forever shamed my name with this ramen mixup. I will never recover from it

Maybe I should try that buldok stuff and see how badly it annihilates me and then compare it myself

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
it's cheesy and rich and umami and delightful and it also punches a hole through your GI tract. insanely ftw

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I’ll throw in a +1 for the JR pass. It gets you on way more trains than you will realize. Even with the bump, if you are planning on travelling around to a lot of different cities and within Tokyo go for it.

If you are only staying in Tokyo do not buy it as it would be a waste. My other big recommendation is to add a suica card to your phones digital wallet so every time you use a subway that isn’t covered by the JR Pass you can just slap your phone over the reader to pay. It’s incredibly handy and if you’re moving around in other cities it will be a life saver. You can also use it for vending machines and other things as well. You can reload a suica card no problem as well.

If you get a JR Pass, the Yamanote line will take you most places you want to go. Even if travel apps say the subway will be a bit quicker, the Yamanote line would be free. I would usually take that and then if I had to, switch to the subway for my final leg of the trip. The excellent thing for me was the hotel I used was literally one stop away from a Yamanote line stop and it was a JR line stop as well.

If you plan on going outside the city. I’d highly recommend downloading the Japan Travel app by Navtime. It told me what buses I even needed to get on so when I went to Yunessun it was an easy experience and made travelling by bus a pleasant experience. Also let me help out a family who was travelling as well.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Asked management for a budget for a New Year’s Eve party to just order some food for everyone.
They gave me a budget of $7 per person. So yea that just covers pizza for the only thing in that price range.
Unless I just order a bunch of egg rolls and one large fried rice for everyone to share.

They’re definitely not factoring inflation on delivery food on that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Usually you see rich people overestimate the price of food, not underestimate. You sure they don't just want you all to subsist on saltine crackers and a soda stream?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The Xmas party last week for the upper management was a private venue and had raffle prizes. (We got no Xmas party)

I was the one that brought up the idea to give us something for new years, they didn’t even think of it giving something to the regular employees. I’m low management so I’m like hello we exist too
Pretty much going Oliver Twist, “please sir may I have some more”

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I don't think I like your management very much

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

Spicy food sucks?

you must die! - ganon (epic style)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio posted:

those with medically fail intestines are exempt from spice contempt

that would be me to a mild extent and you know what, suffering builds character

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

that being said no spicy food ever causes me routine intestinal meltdown to the effect that those little fuckin breakfast sausage links of all things do

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Just keep eating spicy food to build a tolerance like with poison in anime

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

Asked management for a budget for a New Year’s Eve party to just order some food for everyone.
They gave me a budget of $7 per person. So yea that just covers pizza for the only thing in that price range.
Unless I just order a bunch of egg rolls and one large fried rice for everyone to share.

They’re definitely not factoring inflation on delivery food on that.

GateOfD posted:

The Xmas party last week for the upper management was a private venue and had raffle prizes. (We got no Xmas party)

I was the one that brought up the idea to give us something for new years, they didn’t even think of it giving something to the regular employees. I’m low management so I’m like hello we exist too

lmao wtf. corporate here at least allotted $15 per person for the Thanksgiving skeleton crew. bread and water-rear end company

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I couldn’t eat spicy food for about a year a few years back and it was soul ruining. Spicy food ftw

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

symbolic posted:

that being said no spicy food ever causes me routine intestinal meltdown to the effect that those little fuckin breakfast sausage links of all things do

Breakfast sausages are just sodium and fat squished into a tube. You eat one and you're sick for the day I can't stand the things.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

My entire team works on the opposite end of the country so my work christmas party is hanging out with cat and eating some noodles

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

GateOfD posted:

Holy wow, that sounds like a parody of lovely management. Just the most stuck up ungrateful poo poo, lmao.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

symbolic posted:

lmao wtf. corporate here at least allotted $15 per person for the Thanksgiving skeleton crew. bread and water-rear end company

Would feast like kings for $15.
$7 not even minimum wage an hour per person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Gonna deadass go to a Chinese buffet with $15 and sneak in some tubberware and when they’re not looking sneak food into them to bring to the party.