Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
An element of Starfield I'd actually like to see in ES6 would be relatively small ships that you could buy or build that sailed down rivers and across, say, the illiac bay. It's extremely compelling to make a home base out of a ship because it suits the nomadic style of these games so well. Rivers are perfectly suited to being actual hand crafted spaces you can navigate (and they can actually have a lot of branches in them, they don't have to be completely linear.

I'd love to take my vessel down river, land it at s likely ruin, do some exploring, and return back to the comfort and safety of the vessel to continue exploring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cyrano4747 posted:

It would be like dropping a Dallas or Threes Company reference in Morrowind and expecting college kids in 2002 to get all hyped for it.

The early internet in the 00s was rife with Monty Python jokes from the 60s-70s, the stuff that sticks or doesn't stick well past relevancy varies

That said I suspect there's going to be a dramatic age cutoff depending on if the viewer was old enough to have seen Firefly before all Whedon's sexpest(-adjacent?) stuff came out compared to after

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
I think we might see something like Far Harbor. A DLC that doesn't "fix" the base game but adds content that integrates the ideas, systems, and story of the base game into something more enjoyable and interconnected. Enough to restore faith among fans without dedicating the resources to totally overhaul Starfield.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. As much as I criticize and dislike Starfield, arranging all these ideas into a single game is compelling.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Bholder posted:

Not to sound like a broken record but that is exactly how Cyberpunk discourse went when it was released.

don't worry. Everyone is gonna crawl out and explain how Cyberpunk at it's core was a GOODGAME with bugs unlike anything bethesda has ever made. The game is gonna come together just fine with a robust survival mode.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
You can get hosed about "cyberpunk was a good game" sure, it looks and sounds great when it functions, the 3 life paths are a nice nod to the lore, but thats where the similarities to "cyberpunk" end.
The biggest thing wrong about 2077 is "go do the cops jobs for them, mug", because thats easier to do than being a real merc and doing work for all the players in Night City; the different factions et al.
Instead its generic af. its still way better than starfield though.
Has anyone stopped for a second and asked themselves what "nasapunk" is? what is it supposed to mean?
Either BGS are really stupid, or they think their customers are, or maybe a little from column A and a little from column B

staberind fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 30, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
sure it is. The game is much more focused and linear and can be polished more.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, here we run straight into the Brick wall though.
Elder Scrolls : Fantasy sandbox kleptomania sim. fine.
Fallout : irradiated post apocalyptic kleptomania sim they bought the ip of. Ok, fine.
Starfied : nope.
Of course the first dlc will feature Varuun; you get some crew who are totally down with being bad and murking ppl, starting with constellation, to continue the schitzo Fallout 4 dlc theme.

staberind fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 30, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
whats the schizo scheme in fallout 4 DLC? Half the stuff fed directly into the basegame and offered ways to change how you played it.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Lemme take a break from looking for my sooooooooooooooon, and be a raider"
ring any bells?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

The ship builder is a pretty solid swipe at the concept, and it lands nicely between giving the player freedom to make cool poo poo while also being simple enough that you don't need to go full Kerbal calculating thrust to weight or center of gravity etc.

It has its issues, but there is a good core there and it's something that could be iterated on.

Nah I'm rejecting that because the spaceship is just a building that loads into whatever map you go to.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

staberind posted:

You can get hosed about "cyberpunk was a good game" sure, it looks and sounds great when it functions, the 3 life paths are a nice nod to the lore, but thats where the similarities to "cyberpunk" end.
The biggest thing wrong about 2077 is "go do the cops jobs for them, mug", because thats easier to do than being a real merc and doing work for all the players in Night City; the different factions et al.
Instead its generic af. its still way better than starfield though.
Has anyone stopped for a second and asked themselves what "nasapunk" is? what is it supposed to mean?
Either BGS are really stupid, or they think their customers are, or maybe a little from column A and a little from column B
Sorry, CP2077 is a good game. Just :laffo: at trying to make some "no true cyberpunk" argument about it.

Also I'm pretty sure they explain what they consider Nasapunk to mean in some pre-release video (their take on "current space technology taken just a few recognizable steps further" aesthetic and mechanics instead of blatant fantasy like Star Wars or hyper futurism like most of Star Trek).

Alchenar posted:

Nah I'm rejecting that because the spaceship is just a building that loads into whatever map you go to.
That way lies the "no cheating!" argument of Star Citizen. But no, if it achieves the intended gameplay function, how it's done is as meaningless as the NPC hat metro in Fallout.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

orcane posted:

That way lies the "no cheating!" argument of Star Citizen. But no, if it achieves the intended gameplay function, how it's done is as meaningless as the NPC hat metro in Fallout.

But that's exactly the problem! It's gameplay function is not to be a spaceship, it's to be a custom homestead that moves from map to map with you.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

orcane posted:

Also I'm pretty sure they explain what they consider Nasapunk to mean in some pre-release video (their take on "current space technology taken just a few recognizable steps further" aesthetic and mechanics instead of blatant fantasy like Star Wars or hyper futurism like most of Star Trek).

Their use of the term "nasapunk" as a purely aesthetic term while you spend the main plots of the game
- working for cowboy cops
- working for space cops
- working for corpos
- working for the same space cops but technically a different faction and you can blow up megaton kill them once they lose their quest-required flag
- working for the bougiest do-nothing "explorer's guild" that's ever been played completely straight in a game that I can recall offhand

kills me in a way that's hard to describe, but I have to acknowledge the fact that "-punk" as a suffix at this point effectively means nothing but "that certain aesthetic", especially since I haven't played CP2077 yet but I keep hearing stuff about it leaning into respecting cops and corpos mechanically so yeah the ship's sailed

I'm looking forward to TES6 being described straightfaced as fantasypunk

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
2077 had a solid story with memorable characters on launch, and that's pretty much it. Everything else since has been torn down, rebuilt, or replaced--in some cases, twice. The game as it is now plays and engages you in its modes of play entirely different from then, including the addition and expansion of systems. It's all but been three years of early access people paid full price for, but it's at least you can say it's a fun game now.

Which brings it back to Starfield. I don't really know how well the same sort of approach can work for it. 2077 knew what it wanted to be, Starfield is halfway to several different games and integrated very little of them together. And it doesn't even have an interesting narrative or characters to fall back on in the interim. Nor do I really have faith in them to put the needed effort into righting the (space)ship, considering their first reaction to being criticized was to send their PR team into Steam comments to tell negative reviews that they were wrong, actually.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Their use of the term "nasapunk" as a purely aesthetic term while you spend the main plots of the game
- working for cowboy cops
- working for space cops
- working for corpos
- working for the same space cops but technically a different faction and you can blow up megaton kill them once they lose their quest-required flag
- working for the bougiest do-nothing "explorer's guild" that's ever been played completely straight in a game that I can recall offhand

kills me in a way that's hard to describe, but I have to acknowledge the fact that "-punk" as a suffix at this point effectively means nothing but "that certain aesthetic", especially since I haven't played CP2077 yet but I keep hearing stuff about it leaning into respecting cops and corpos mechanically so yeah the ship's sailed

I'm looking forward to TES6 being described straightfaced as fantasypunk

Nasapunk is the ship aesthetic, that's all. Much like steampunk has nothing to do with any anarchistic tendencies afaik, but impractical gadgets made out of brass and glass.

Cyberpunk is just a bunch of player characters trying to make money without having a steady job.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
also given that actual anarchists end up working for the government or weapons manufacturers, maybe game makers have a more accurate take on the subculture than most?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Alchenar posted:

But that's exactly the problem! It's gameplay function is not to be a spaceship, it's to be a custom homestead that moves from map to map with you.

what is the gameplay function supposed to be dumdum? You take your mobile home, fight other mobile homes with space lasers while upgrading your mobile home to have more space lasers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tankbuster posted:

You take your mobile home, fight other mobile homes with space lasers while upgrading your mobile home to have more space lasers.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
starfield makes me feel like todd howard played launch no man's sky and that was the pinnacle of his gaming experience

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Alchenar posted:

So a spaceship

Like, I'm confused as to what aspect of them you feel isn't a spaceship? If it's the fact that they're just considered 'a room' that you're in, engine wise, well I got some really bad news about video games as a whole

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 30, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OddObserver posted:

Some of y'all should probably be playing Dyson Sphere Program instead or something.

I understand the impulse but it's still silly that people spent so much time working with the outpost system. It's not some weirdly-implemented labor of love, it's straight-up unfinished.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
started up fallout 4 and it's so nice to be able to pick up junk and know it can make a laser pointer for your gun or be used as an adhesive, unlike vacuum tape in starfield because ???

they really hosed up by not cribbing from The Martian

there should have been a point in the main story where you had to make a space jalopy after getting stranded on planet JNK-19

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Magmarashi posted:

So a spaceship

Like, I'm confused as to what aspect of them you feel isn't a spaceship? If it's the fact that they're just considered 'a room' that you're in, engine wise, well I got some really bad news about video games as a whole

I think they're saying you don't actually fly it around anywhere

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Tankbuster posted:

The game is gonna come together just fine with a robust survival mode.

Wanna bet?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

I think they're saying you don't actually fly it around anywhere

OK that's very fair

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Chillmatic posted:

Wanna bet?

by fine I mean it will be passable and people will start modding it. People will keep calling it midfield until they want masterchief to bang <insert star wars character here> in a star-trek shuttle.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

OK that's very fair

Yeah sorry I left that unspoken: as per the last few pages there's nothing resembling 'spaceship gameplay' that anyone who had played a spaceship game in the last 20 years would recognise as such.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

It would be like dropping a Dallas or Threes Company reference in Morrowind and expecting college kids in 2002 to get all hyped for it.

Or a Newhart reference in Baldurs Gate

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chubby Henparty posted:

Or a Newhart reference in Baldurs Gate

Yeah, but Larry, Daryl, and his other brother Daryl should be on the next gold record we send into space

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
I wish this game hadn't had so much space magic. The Expanse was coolest before they founded Stargate Command and this game was cooler before it was Lame StarWars. I don't need to slow time and shoot lightning, bruh

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Chillmatic posted:

Wanna bet?

People are already saying that Fallout 4 was actually a good game in comparison so I'm sure with some changes it will get to the same level.

Or just wait until Elder Scroll 6 comes out so everybody gets disappointed again and say that Starfield was much better in comparison.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
FO4 already had FO76 to make itself look better by comparison

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cryptozoology posted:

I wish this game hadn't had so much space magic. The Expanse was coolest before they founded Stargate Command and this game was cooler before it was Lame StarWars. I don't need to slow time and shoot lightning, bruh

I completed all of the side content I could find, all of the faction missions, and all of the side quests, before doing the main story quest. I gotta say the MSQ is the least engaging part of the game.

The plot being driven by this quest for the artifacts, ostensibly because they unlock powers, is hilarious. The powers are so unnecessary I've completely forgotten about them several times. This isn't Control, nothing about the combat/gameplay requires or even rewards you for using them. They exist, but why I'm going through this ridiculous Easter egg hunt to find them is entirely lost on me as the player. Let the Starborn have them and gently caress off to the next universe.

And to be clear, the MSQ plot is entirely about that. There's nothing, not even a hint of curiosity, about the how or why of unity/the artifacts, no sense of deeper mystery you can investigate. Just loving Pokemon but for rocks.

e: By way of comparison to Cyberpunk 2077, I didn't play it at launch but I did start playing it around the 1.31 patch, predating any of the re-balances or redesigns. It was a far more engaging world and a better story. The city feels like something worth exploring, and there's a lot to find just wandering around. I actually enjoyed the weirdly lopsided gameplay as it was, but they've vastly improved it since then.

I don't think Starfield has a similar path forward.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 30, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

LMAO.

I'm bee-lining the main quest at this point. Need to fix a thing for constellation, everyone has a thing they want me to do. Talk to one guy, asks me to test a thing on a computer, interact with a terminal and run a test program. Kinda silly and non-interactive but OK, fair enough.

Sarah asks me to pick up some wrenches and help her tighten down some equipment.

Click a wrench thinking it would have me pick it up and get this pop up:

Holy poo poo this would have been low-grade embarrassing twenty years ago. Like really, not even giving me a wheel to click and make it turn or something? I mean, just straight up gently caress having a bespoke animation for tightening the bolts, what do people think this is a AAA massive release priced at $70? But like holy loving poo poo I'm pretty sure I remember having to turn a wheel to make a thing repaired in Half Life.

One, not two.

The one that came out in 1998.

edit: literally ten seconds after that you help Single Cowboy Dad weld some panels in the same way. Just click the welder, no need to actually have anything resembling gameplay or even mild interactivity waving a welder over a line etc.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hope you made a hard save before starting that one

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Wow, I did not ever see anything like that. I think that's just another hard edge of an old engine they want to keep using so more people are able to mod it.

e now I'm curious, are there any motion capture systems that are inexpensive enough for committed amateur modders to own at this point?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

hope you made a hard save before starting that one

Nope. Guessing it's a point of no return?

Really don't care.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nope. Guessing it's a point of no return?

Really don't care.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I, too, remember when I had whimsy in my soul and could simply enjoy things with wide-eyes