Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Went to a cable store today and the clerk and a customer were arguing over Shanks/Zoro power levels. OP really is taking off :,)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Meaningless discussion; Zoro is a swordsman and Shanks is a hakiman

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Zoro would never fight Shanks for the same reason as Mihawk, a one-armed swordsman doesn't stand a chance against a 6-armed swordsman with 9 swords or a guy with a Big Sword.

Why isn't Enma huge? Oden was huge and it looked normal on him so it should be huge on Zoro. Oden was over twice as tall as Zoro, who is 5'11 to Oden's 12 foot 6 :lmao: but Enma is the same size as Zoro's other swords. It would be pretty funny if Zoro just had 1 huge sword and 2 normal sized ones.

Look at that thing, it would have to be like 6 feet long

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

A wizard did it Sukiyaki.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

D&D rules: magic items shrink/expand to fit their master

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It’s a mystery sword

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

It’s a mystery sword

I see :kiddo::coffee:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

D&D rules: magic items shrink/expand to fit their master

Zoro grabbing the giant sword outside of Onigashima and it immediately shrinks down to his size

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It's a normal sized sword but making it bigger like Oden did is a standard haki use for sword wielders.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They cut it in half

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Look at that thing, it would have to be like 6 feet long

Truly Oden was the greatest at tucking there's ever been.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/TheJellatin/status/1741173495566872721?s=20

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hancock, presumably.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gologle posted:

Hancock, presumably.

More like Rayleigh.

Pretty sure Hancock wasn't allowed on the island Luffy was training on that often, and she'd think he looked good in everything anyways.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Gologle posted:

Hancock, presumably.

The animals on the island he spent two years punching.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Bisse posted:

Oda himself said (somewhere iirc) the original loose plan was a 5-year manga that ended after Alabasta. They would have found the One Piece after bonking croc on the nose. It grew from there after getting successful.

he said in 2006 (in the vol 42 sbs) that he originally planned for the manga to last 5 years, and also that he's had the climax of the manga planned from the very start. obviously that was 17 years ago so his plans probably have changed to some degree, but i would expect most of his broad strokes of his intended ending are still planned. he didn't say anything about it being planned to end after alabasta - that's just people incorrectly inferring from the quote, since alabasta ended about 5 years into the manga.

in 2017 he then repeated that it was originally planned to last 5 years and explained that the shichibukai weren't part of the original plan, just the yonkou. he's also mentioned that wano was one arc that he had the idea for from the very start.

https://twitter.com/sandman_AP/status/900782874021974016

i doubt it would have ended after 5 years even with his original plan, just because he's generally underestimated how long arcs will take him to finish (see: all his predictions for when one piece will end)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Wano alone would be 5 years lol

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
In a world where One Piece only lasts 5 years, Oda almost certainly wouldn't have free reign to do whatever he wanted and there would be editorial tension over arc lengths. So Wano and every other arc wouldn't balloon up to multi-year events. Also lots of the off the cuff character additions, like the Supernovas wouldn't have come about.

You could probably tell all of One Piece in 5ish years, but the world would feel way less expansive and we'd probably barely be touching the history of the world. Not to mention the untold destruction and diversion of whoever his editor was sticking their fingers into the pie of a story that isn't a historic hit that's making everyone fat stacks of cash.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Do you think Oda would have moved on to that mecha series he wanted to do or would he have gone more the Post-Dragonball Toriyama route and done one-shots from there on out?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This thread title is trash why didn't we get the other actually funny one

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i'd assume the original idea for wano wouldn't have been anywhere near as bloated, only similar in scope to alabasta at most, and it's not like oda has every detail of arcs planned out beforehand. i think he's said his general approach is that he has some key plot points planned out and some ideas for cool scenes that he wants to make happen, but doesn't plan out the details of each arc too tightly in advance? which is probably part of why post-timeskip arcs have often ended up bloated

the original scope of the story was probably something like east blue -> two arcs (one of which would have been wano) where the straw hats defeat the first two emperors -> final arc where they race to get one piece against the last two emperors, ideas from which we are finally starting to see in the story now.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m kinda curious what the power scaling would look like if OP Only went for five years, like would we have Zoro cutting up a kaiju golem like it was made of hot butter, Garp’s full power punches being WMDs, or everyone for real enough having some bootleg version of the Navy’s infinite double jump move?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Drakkel posted:

Do you think Oda would have moved on to that mecha series he wanted to do or would he have gone more the Post-Dragonball Toriyama route and done one-shots from there on out?

I'm genuinely excited for whatever he does after one piece. I hope it's something radically different

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Gonna be slightly concerned if we get anything out of him after One Piece, the man needs to take a long, long, rest and find someone who can emulate his art style if he wants a mecha series like Toriyama did imho.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
If they got someone like they got for toriyama I don't want it.
Hate Toyotaro

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
are we getting chapters today or is it a break week for new year?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Break, the leaks last week were the ones for next week that just leaked super early I think

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Oda's next series is gonna have someone that looks like Nami or he's gonna have to get divorced.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Oda’s next project is picking up where Nana or Paradise Kiss ended.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Oda's next series is gonna have someone that looks like Nami or he's gonna have to get divorced.
I mean, I assume it will have at least one female character, so yeah, there will be someone who looks exactly like Nami.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

great ch.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

mikeycp posted:

I'm genuinely excited for whatever he does after one piece. I hope it's something radically different
I hope it's a well deserved lifelong retirement and a year long round-the-world trip with his kids.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Paper Lion posted:

framing the kuma running page the way oda did with his parents sending him off into the world, the way he huffs and puffs and gets more tired but keeps going as he meets more people, and the specific "frame" of his run that oda chooses mirroring the nika dance, juxtaposing his faith in nika and the ideals he represents with the way he chooses to move through life and impact others. the direct visual line drawn between the tiring exertion of sprinting for your life and what you believe in with the the only known action of your god, turning every bond he made into almost a form of transubstantiationist communion. its so incredible. i cried when i read it and im crying again thinking about it

Odda is really is using the arch to show that he's a master of his craft.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

There have been 11 shichibukai and almost half of them have really barely mattered for the overall plot (Mihawk, Hancock, Weevil, Moria)

Oh, and whatever that clown dude's name was.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hancock and Mihawk have been very important

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Weevil is the only one I'd say hasn't done a whole lot just cause it feels like they were setting him up to hunt down Luffy but then he ran into Green Bull and I guess that's it.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Happy Birthday Oda :toot:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Scholtz posted:

There have been 11 shichibukai and almost half of them have really barely mattered for the overall plot (Mihawk, Hancock, Weevil, Moria)

Oh, and whatever that clown dude's name was.
Buggy is one of the 5 Emporers now, he ain't no shichibukai. But you're right, Mihawk, Hancock, and Weevil haven't been tested yet. Kuma wasn't until this year either

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The heck does it take to matter for the "overall plot" to satisfy yall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Terper posted:

The heck does it take to matter for the "overall plot" to satisfy yall
Every "lie" Ussop ever told has to come true